A Fall 2019 PTR - 3rd & 5th Birthdays, MNSSHP, F&W Festival

jrmint427

DIS Veteran
I'm so excited to be planning a Fall 2019 trip to Disney! This will be our 5th trip as adults and our 3rd trip with kids (and those kids' grandparents). As with many planners here, I am way more into the planning details than anyone else who is going with me, so I'm excited to start my first PTR.

Cast of Characters: Me, Jessica (the obsessive planner), my husband Pat, our two girls (currently known as DD2 and DD4, but we'll be celebrating both their birthdays on this trip), my parents, and possibly my MIL.

Our full group, 2 years ago, back when Mickey was talking. He sang "Happy Birthday" to the girls!

MK_TSTHEATERDCHAR_20170930_405183683934 (smaller).jpg

When: We went in the Fall 2 years ago, and loved being at WDW for MNSSHP and the F&W Festival, so we are going back for both.

Why: Not that we ever need a reason to go, but this is the last year we can go during the school year (without missing school), since DD4 will start Kindergarten next year. And the grandparents were signed on to go with us, which makes for a more relaxing trip for me and my husband, and special memories for the girls. This will be our third year in a row going, and we've generally agreed to take a break after this trip. I say generally because, who can say for sure? :)

Where: We are splitting our stay between the Wilderness Lodge (a first for us) and saying offsite at a family member's place. Tips for things to do at Wilderness Lodge are welcome! We're planning a little more time at the resort this trip.

How: We plan to drive. It's a 2 day trip for us, but we did it last year and loved the convenience of having or car and found the road trip with the girls enjoyable.

High Level Plans

I'm still watching for some ADRs we didn't get, and plans will continue to evolve after we book FPs and park hours are finalized. The one thing I promised my family was that I'd try to not tire us out so much and not over-plan (ha!). So of course, I tried to plan some "flex / down time" to make that happen :)

Day 1 - Travel day, part 1. We plan to leave after work this day to get a start on our trip.

Day 2 - Arrive at Wilderness Lodge! We have an ADR for Whispering Canyon Café.

Day 3 - Epcot

We have a pre-park opening breakfast at Akershus (actually 2 reservations, hoping they will let the 7 of us sit together). Hoping to ride FEA right after breakfast, then go to the front of the park for the rest of the morning. Planning to eat lunch at F&W festival stands as we work our way around the World Showcase. Planning to meet a lot of princesses this day - in addition to those at Akershus, also want to meet Anna & Elsa, Mulan and Jasmine in Morocco. Dinner at Teppan Edo. I don't think we're likely to stay for Illuminations this evening because it's planned for 10pm. I'm sad about this, but worried we will be wiped after our first day if we attempt that.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom

Planning to get there early (park opens at 7am while we are there) and spend a half day at AK. Plan to eat lunch at Satu'li Canteen and then play the afternoon by ear. Would like to go back to the resort to swim by 2pm if not before then, and have no dinner plans. We can either eat at the Roaring Fork, go to Disney Springs or eat offsite. Look at me being flexible :-D

Day 5 - Magic Kingdom

The park opens at 7am for resort guests, but I suspect we'll get there closer to 8am. Eat at Columbia Harbour House for lunch. In the evening, my parents will take the girls and we will get to go to MNSSHP. This could be a long day for us - still debating if we want to get to the park later. We plan to eat dinner at Jungle Navigation before the party starts.

Day 7 - Magic Kingdom

Sleep in! Plan to sleep/swim in the morning. Will get to MK around lunch time (and plan to eat at Casey's Corner - I've been dreaming about their vegan slaw dog!). Plan to stay until 5-6pm and then go back to the resort for dinner with Snow White at Artist Point.

Day 8 - Hollywood Studios

Plan to spend a long day here! Want to eat lunch at Woody's Lunch Box. My mom and Pat may try to ride the new Star Wars ride depending on the wait time. But I suspect it will be more than 3 hours and they will abandon those plans. Dinner at 50's Prime Time and hope to stay for Fantasmic. We missed Fantasmic on our trip last year because it was way too cold, so hoping we can make it work this time.

Day 9 - Magic Kingdom

I'm really hoping we will find a reservation for the Bon Voyage breakfast this morning. It was one of our favorite character meals on our last trip. If we can't, we'll probably go to MK earlier in the morning, but otherwise, we'll go around lunch time and spend the rest of the day there. Dinner at Pecos Bill's.

Day 10 - Animal Kingdom

We have a long day planned for our last day, as we'd like to stay for Rivers of Light in the evening. Lunch at Satu'li Canteen again. No ADR yet, but planning to eat at Yak & Yeti if we can get a reservation.

Day 11 & 12 - The long drive home :(

For our past trips, I've always planned a rest day in the middle of our trip. I was tempted to do that, but instead tried planning 3 shorter "half days" at the parks, every other day. I'm hoping this will let us do a little more without getting so run down from the really long days.

Fast Pass Plan

This is still a work in progress, but here are the FPs I'm planning to book for our trip! Thoughts/tips are welcome :)

Park Day 1 - EPCOT

Spaceship Earth
The Seas w/ Nemo and Friends
Soarin' - for me and Pat

We're not booking FEA since we have a pre-park opening breakfast and plan to ride that right around the time the park opens. We're likely to skip Test Track on this trip because we try to limit the number of rides we go on that the kids can't/won't go on. We didn't get to ride Soarin' on our last trip, so that was high on our list. My parents will likely keep the kids at the aquariums next door while we ride, but that means no 3rd FP booked for them.

Park Day 2 - Animal Kingdom

Meeting Mickey & Minnie
Festival of the Lion King
Na'vi River Journey

I'm going to try for FOP later in our trip. Na'vi is one our whole family can ride together, so hoping this works out.

Park Day 3 - Magic Kingdom

Enchanted Tales w/ Belle
Meeting Mickey at Town Square (is Minnie there now too?)
Big Thunder Mountain

DD4 road BTM last year; I think DD2 would like to ride it but I doubt she will be tall enough.

Park Day 4 - Magic Kingdom

Peter Pan's Flight​
Jungle Cruise​
Meeting Rapunzel & Tiana​

Park Day 5 - Hollywood Studios

Tower of Terror
Slinky Dog Dash
Beauty and the Beast Show

DD4 road SDD last year (twice!). DD2 might just be tall enough to ride this year. The plan is for my dad, the girls and I to hang out in Toy Story Land while Pat and the moms try to ride Star Wars. But if the line is over 2-3 hours long, I think they are going to skip it. I'm just not into Star Wars enough to give up a large part of my day with the girls.

Park Day 6 - Magic Kingdom

Meeting Ariel
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Splash Mountain

I don't think DD2 will be tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. This is one that we haven't gotten to ride at all as adults! It was closed once or twice while we were at WDW, then it was way too cold. Hoping we can make it work this time!

Park Day 7 - Animal Kingdom

Flight of Passage
Safaris
Rivers of Light

I kind of hate "wasting" a FP on Rivers of Light, but we didn't get to see it on our last trip and my husband would really like to. I know I could try to pick up FPs the day of, but 7 is a lot to hope for, and as busy as they are predicting the parks to be, I'm worried that this will be the only way to guarantee us seats (aside from paying more for tickets with a dining package).

Thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe your first Epcot day book a 3rd Fp for the your parents and the kids for Turtle Talk with Crush. They probably won’t need it but it will use their 3rd FP so you can look for 4th fastpasses all together.

Minnie is with Mickey in their birthday celebration outfits until Sept 30

Joining in! Fall is my favorite time to travel too. They have a Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt at Wilderness Lodge!

Awesome, that sounds like fun! Do you just ask about the scavenger hunt at the front desk?

Maybe your first Epcot day book a 3rd Fp for the your parents and the kids for Turtle Talk with Crush. They probably won’t need it but it will use their 3rd FP so you can look for 4th fastpasses all together.

Minnie is with Mickey in their birthday celebration outfits until Sept 30

That's a good idea! I'm planning for us all to go to Turtle Talk together, but would be good to have everyone done with their 3 FPs so we can get a 4th together. We should get to see them in their birthday outfits then! I'm a little sad we'll miss the classic outfits. But maybe just an excuse to buy more dresses for my girls haha.

Joining in.

Your plans look like a lot of fun. We took our 5 year old girls this spring, so my FPs were chock full of princesses, too.

For your Epcot day, what if you booked FEA for everyone else a couple hours after your Soarin' trip? Then, once you tap into Soarin', you could try to refresh as a party of two or two singles to grab an overlapping time for another ride as a family.

Joining in.

Your plans look like a lot of fun. We took our 5 year old girls this spring, so my FPs were chock full of princesses, too.

For your Epcot day, what if you booked FEA for everyone else a couple hours after your Soarin' trip? Then, once you tap into Soarin', you could try to refresh as a party of two or two singles to grab an overlapping time for another ride as a family.

Welcome! I thought about that and we might... this is going to sound bad, but my 4 year old is terrified of this ride. I'll probably be lucky to get her on it once, but if she enjoys it this time, then I thought about watching for a second ride in the afternoon! She doesn't like the small drop because she got splashed in the face the first time she rode and still remembers that. But we have to ride it at least once!

Where: We are splitting our stay between the Wilderness Lodge (a first for us) and saying offsite at a family member's place. Tips for things to do at Wilderness Lodge are welcome! We're planning a little more time at the resort this trip.
We love Wilderness Lodge!!! It is great! Hopfully you guys will like it as well. The boat ride to MK is THE BEST!!!

I'm still watching for some ADRs we didn't get, and plans will continue to evolve after we book FPs and park hours are finalized. The one thing I promised my family was that I'd try to not tire us out so much and not over-plan (ha!). So of course, I tried to plan some "flex / down time" to make that happen :)
It is so hard to plan down time... I have found that our pool time, isn't really down time, either. My girls are almost more tired from being in the sun so much. But it is important to do.

We can either eat at the Roaring Fork, go to Disney Springs or eat offsite. Look at me being flexible :-D
You also have Geyser Point to get food at as well! There is a walk up area that you can order food and take to the pool area or your room. Nice to have 2 options to order food from.

Sleep in! Plan to sleep/swim in the morning. Will get to MK around lunch time
Not sure exactly what time in the fall you are going, not sure if the pools will open at 9 still. I know if Feb they don't open till 10 usually. which makes it tight to swim, change and then head to the parks by noon.

My mom and Pat may try to ride the new Star Wars ride depending on the wait time. But I suspect it will be more than 3 hours and they will abandon those plans.
Probably!

Meeting Mickey at Town Square (is Minnie there now too?)
Yup, Mickey and Minnie in birthday outfits!

Rivers of Light

I kind of hate "wasting" a FP on Rivers of Light, but we didn't get to see it on our last trip and my husband would really like to. I know I could try to pick up FPs the day of, but 7 is a lot to hope for, and as busy as they are predicting the parks to be, I'm worried that this will be the only way to guarantee us seats (aside from paying more for tickets with a dining package).
I don't think it is a waste... if you really want to see it. Would you be interested in the dessert party that they are doing now? It is a cost, but you would get yummy desserts.

I am here! I have to go back are read all of the plans in more detail. But YEAH to another trip!

Yay, I'm glad you're here! You are my Disney guru!

We love Wilderness Lodge!!! It is great! Hopfully you guys will like it as well. The boat ride to MK is THE BEST!!!

The boats are one of the reasons we are staying there! My husband has memories of riding boats to MK as a child (I forget which resort it was from, it wasn't Wilderness Lodge) and he wants our girls to have the same experience. I'm so excited, it looks like a beautiful resort.

It is so hard to plan down time... I have found that our pool time, isn't really down time, either. My girls are almost more tired from being in the sun so much. But it is important to do.

It is really hard. And you're right, pool time isn't really down time. I'm hoping those who need true down time can take it while the others go to the pool, and hoping we can work in a nap either before or after pool time. I get drained being outside too!

You also have Geyser Point to get food at as well! There is a walk up area that you can order food and take to the pool area or your room. Nice to have 2 options to order food from.

That's good to know! If we don't want to leave the pool to eat, it sounds like we could just order food to eat poolside. That might make for a relaxing night!

Not sure exactly what time in the fall you are going, not sure if the pools will open at 9 still. I know if Feb they don't open till 10 usually. which makes it tight to swim, change and then head to the parks by noon.

I'll have to check that! We're going in September. I'm guessing we'll be so tired by this point we'll want to sleep in anyway. I think if we get to the pool at least once, we'll be happy.

I don't think it is a waste... if you really want to see it. Would you be interested in the dessert party that they are doing now? It is a cost, but you would get yummy desserts.

I didn't know they had a dessert party at AK now! I will look into that. I could probably go either way on the show, but I think Pat liked it better than me the first time and we missed it on our last trip.

The boats are one of the reasons we are staying there! My husband has memories of riding boats to MK as a child (I forget which resort it was from, it wasn't Wilderness Lodge) and he wants our girls to have the same experience. I'm so excited, it looks like a beautiful resort.
It won't disapoint! It is THE BEST WAY to get to the Magic Kingdom!

I didn't know they had a dessert party at AK now! I will look into that. I could probably go either way on the show, but I think Pat liked it better than me the first time and we missed it on our last trip.
I think the desserts look super cute for it! We just don't have any desire to see the show again. But maybe with the updates!

Well after neglecting my trip report, our trip is just a few weeks away! I'm keeping a close eye on the weather and hoping Dorian doesn't bring too much damage to Florida.

I'm so excited, I've already started packing. We're doing matching outfits each day again (and despite my promises to tone it down this year... we still have one day with 4 outfits - but have a couple days with only 1 outfit too!). I've packed gallon size bags by day and character. I've received all the t-shirts I ordered new this year, and we're just waiting on a few dresses I ordered for my oldest daughter. One of the reasons we'll have so many outfits is that many from last year still fit both girls, and the adults can re-wear our t-shirts. So, why not?

Here are our "final" plans - I may still make a few tweaks, but I think we're good to go. As always, I appreciate any feedback and tips!

Days 1 & 2: Travel days. My MIL is flying to stay with us the night before we leave. I'm so excited to have her help for the long car ride again! We'll leave after work the first day (hopefully cutting out a little early) and drive until around 11pm. On the second day we'll have about 9 hours of driving time, but we lose an hour coming from Central time and I'm expecting about 2 hours of time spent stopping for the girls. So we'll need to be on the road no later than 7:00am CST.

I have matching shirts for our 2nd travel day - the red Disney Mouseketeer shirts. My parents refused to participate in matching shirts most days :-D but did say they would try to match colors for some. They let me order matching shirts for just one day.

We'll meet my parents at the resort. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first half of the trip, so we have dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon Café at 7:30pm on our first night.

Day 3: Epcot

Morning Outfit: Belle yellow dresses (girls) / World Traveler t-shirts (me and MIL)

We have a pre-park opening reservation (8:10am) at Akershus. I know it's not likely, but really hoping we can eat and see all the princesses before the park opens at 9am. The plan is to jump over to Frozen Ever After after we eat since I didn't get a FP for it. We may also try to meet Anna and Elsa before leaving the World Showcase, in which case we'll change into our Frozen Outfits. I have an Elsa dress for DD4 and an Anna dress for DD2, and Frozen themed t-shirts for me, Pat and MIL.

Next we'll head to the front of the park for our 3 FPs:
The Seas w/ Nemo and Friends
Soarin' (not sure if DD4 will give this one a try, but got her a FP just in case)
Spaceship Earth

We also plan to fit in Turtle Talk and Living with the Land between FPs. We should wrap up with the front of the park around 12:30pm and then plan to spend the rest of the afternoon making our way around the World Showcase. We'll be there for the F&W Festival, so I've already started plotting out food stops I know I'll want to make. A dole whip with Bacardi Coconut Rum is on my list, and I can't wait to have the Brazilian cheese bread again. I was disappointed to not see the Greek Nachos on the menu this year (did I just miss that?). What other food or drink should we be sure not to miss?

Our "lunch" will be made up of snacks around the world. If we missed them earlier, we'll try to meet Anna & Elsa in the afternoon, and then make an outfit change to visit Jasmine in Morocco. She was a hit last year, and the girls' Jasmine dresses still fit them.

We'll wrap up with dinner at Teppan Edo. I really wanted to see Illuminations before the show is over, but it's not until 10pm, and there is no way our whole party will make it that late. My guess is we will head back to our resort around 8:30-9:00pm. If I'm feeling really good, there is a small chance I might stay on my own or with Pat while my parents take the girls back. But, we all have to leave the resort at 6:30am the next day, so it's probably smart to get back and get some sleep.

Day 4: Animal Kingdom

Outfits: Safari Minnie dresses (girls) / Red Lion King shirts (adults)

There are EMH beginning at 7:00am this day. I don't feel like we need to be there at opening, but am hoping we can be out the door around 6:30am to make it not too long after, and take advantage of slightly lower crowds. Our first stop will be Creature Comforts because after a bit of poor planning caused coffee delays 2 years ago (which in turn, caused grumpy adults, myself included), I made it a priority to carve out time dedicated to caffeine stops each morning.

We plan to start with the Safaris and Expedition Everest. Our first FP will be to meet Safari Minnie and Mickey. Last year we were surprised to find them in their Christmas sweaters at AK. They were cute, but I'm hoping for a safari outfit this year.

Then we plan to check out Maharajah Jungle Trek. I'm pretty sure we missed it the past two years, so it's high on our list this year even though it's not a typical headliner for most people.

Our next FP is for Festival of the Lion King. I absolutely love this show and plan to go twice this trip. Last year when we went, we were sat kind of low down and on an aisle, and the playful monkeys came over to us and pretended to eat bugs out of our hair. This traumatized the girls. Every night they make me promise that we will sit up high so that the "monkeys don't eat us." I can't believe they remember that.

Our last FP is for Navi River Journey, and then we'll eat lunch at Satu'li Canteen. Our afternoon is somewhat open. We might check out the Hakuna Matata dance party, and will probably take the Wildlife Express to the Conservation Station. If I can snag a 4th FP we might try the new animation class, but I'm not sure if DD2 would concentrate/enjoy it. I've been looking for reports of others who have tried it.

We're hoping to leave the park around 2:30pm to go back to our resort. I shocked everyone and made no plans for the rest of the day. If we want to stay at the park longer, we can. If we want to go back and nap, we can. I'm hoping we'll make some time to swim, and maybe we'll get food and just eat beside the pool. I am looking forward to having a little "down time" at Disney this year!

Stay tuned for the next 5 (!!) park days :)

Ugh, I do not envy you that drive! I can hack a lot, but crazy long road trips just don't work for us. It sounds like you've got it down, though.

We have a pre-park opening reservation (8:10am) at Akershus. I know it's not likely, but really hoping we can eat and see all the princesses before the park opens at 9am.

I've heard good things about being able to get through this and do FEA. For a PPO, you can check in as soon as you get back there (don't wait for 8:10) and I think they move pretty well through the first group.

f I can snag a 4th FP we might try the new animation class, but I'm not sure if DD2 would concentrate/enjoy it.

I'd be worried about DD4, too. What I've read is that it's more of a 6-7 and up kind of activity. I haven't done it myself, though.

Ugh, I do not envy you that drive! I can hack a lot, but crazy long road trips just don't work for us. It sounds like you've got it down, though.

Haha! Most people think we're crazy, but we've done quite a few 2-day road trips with the girls now and actually prefer it to flying. Aside from needing to stop way too often, they do pretty well in the car. I load up on activities and snacks :)

I've heard good things about being able to get through this and do FEA. For a PPO, you can check in as soon as you get back there (don't wait for 8:10) and I think they move pretty well through the first group.

That is good to hear! We're planning to get to the park early and go in as soon as they will let us. I was hoping being in the first seating would mean we don't wait as long for the characters.

I'd be worried about DD4, too. What I've read is that it's more of a 6-7 and up kind of activity. I haven't done it myself, though.

That's what I was wondering! DD4 is almost 5 and really likes art, but it still sounded like it might be a little much for her too. DD2 will be almost 3 and definitely doesn't have the attention span for something like that! We'll probably save this one for when they're a little older, but it sounds like fun :)

Day 4: Magic Kingdom & MNSSHP

This will be a LONG day for me, Pat and my MIL. We're planning to be up to take a boat around 7:00am from Wilderness Lodge to MK. The park has EMH that again start at 7:00am, but as we're planning to be there until midnight, this will feel like a super early morning anyway.

Morning Outfit: Dumbo - it's one of their favorite rides, outfits from last year still fit, and this will be the theme for their birthday party this year. Which is one week after we return from our trip :-D

IMG_1962 (smaller).JPG

Side note - I cannot figure out how to flip the picture upright! Any suggestions??

We're planning to hit a few favorites when we first get there - Dumbo, Barnstormer and IASM. DD2 (almost 3) was too short to ride Barnstormer last year and was so disappointed. She is very excited to be tall enough to ride this year! Our first FP is Enchanted Tales with Belle.

After that, we will try to meet Merida. We waited more than 30 minutes for her last year, I'm hoping that by going in the morning the wait won't be quite so bad. But I set aside the time just in case. She was one of our favorites last year! She spent so much time with DD4 and DD4 was just in awe the whole time.

MK_FAIRYTALEGARDENCHAR_20181124_414668971876 (smaller).jpg

Our next FP is to meet Mickey and Minnie in their celebration outfits. I got the girls celebration dresses but no special shirts for the adults. DD4 still talks about how Mickey sang to her for her birthday two years ago... I tried to prepare her that I don't think Mickey will be able to sing this year.

Next we'll head to the Haunted Mansion and cross our fingers. I'm not sure either girl will want to ride if they remember it from last year but it's a classic. Then we'll get lunch at Columbia Harbour House. I love their vegetarian sandwich! After lunch we'll catch the parade.

Planning for Monsters Inc., Buzz Lightyear and Tomorrowland Speedway after the parade. We should have some extra time in the afternoon before the party starts. We will eat an early dinner at Jungle Navigation, and my parents will take the girls while we stay for the party. We decided they're still too young to make it past 9pm at Disney, and my parents offered to take them again. After much discussion, we decided we didn't want to carry around costumes for the party, so we had matching shirts made.

Here is us at the 2017 party - Pat's mom and her sisters made awesome costumes! Pat and I did more of a Disney bounding of Rapunzel and Eugene (DD4 still calls him Eugene).

MK_TEACUPCHAR2_20170930_405175830489 (smaller).jpg

I am so excited for the party! We will try to do 7DMT and Space Mountain during the party because we don't plan to do them during other park days. I also want to do Pirates with the live pirates. The parade and fireworks are our only other "must dos". We'll see how the character lines are. The 7 dwarfs would be cool again, but they were such a long wait last time, I'm not sure we want to do that again. It was a fun meet though.

MK_CALLTENTCHAR_20170930_405178589183 (smaller).jpg

Aladdin and the Winnie the Pooh characters in Halloween costumes are pretty high on my list. I'm also hoping to get some of the fun magic shots around the park. Any snacks / must-dos we should hit during the party?

We had a rough time meeting Merida to the point that we bailed on her our first MK day and RDed her the next. I would plan to be in line for her first set 10 minutes early and do the EtwB FP after, instead.

Your party priorities sound pretty doable. Make sure you watch for when Aladdin is actually out, since he shares a spot with Jasmine/Genie.

This will be a LONG day for me, Pat and my MIL. We're planning to be up to take a boat around 7:00am from Wilderness Lodge to MK. The park has EMH that again start at 7:00am, but as we're planning to be there until midnight, this will feel like a super early morning anyway.
That will be a long day!!! What are you planning on doing the next day?

We had a rough time meeting Merida to the point that we bailed on her our first MK day and RDed her the next. I would plan to be in line for her first set 10 minutes early and do the EtwB FP after, instead.

Your party priorities sound pretty doable. Make sure you watch for when Aladdin is actually out, since he shares a spot with Jasmine/Genie.

Oh no! I appreciate the tip, I have swapped Merida and Belle so we can line up for Merida around 9:00am. We should still have plenty of time to make our EtwB FP before 10:10am.

And I'm sad now haha - I was hoping that we got to meet Jasmine and Aladdin together, but it makes more sense that they would swap out! I would still love to meet him if we can time it right. Aladdin was one of my favorites when I was younger <3

That will be a long day!!! What are you planning on doing the next day?

Sleep in!! Haha, I'll post the next day now, but our plan is to not head to the parks until around 11:00am the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter