A Farewell to Illuminations - A Swift September Solo

During this trip, I was able to strike up conversations with some of the coolest folks. In Galaxy's Edge I spoke with a retired Professor, now living in the south, who taught 20 years ago at the small university I work at. I chatted it up with a young Tampa native who was playing hooky from work to get to Hollywood Studios. There was a couple and their amazing differently-abled daughter @ Oga's. At Soarin' there was an Australian mom and her teenage son who were traveling the world. The giggling young ladies in Epcot who snapped some photos of me, the Disneyland Sound Engineer and his partner visiting Pandora for the first time ....the list goes on and on. Every park, every attraction and every mode of transportation had some of the kindest and most fun loving people. It was heart warming. No bashing, no judgement, no politics, no drama or pot stirring. Just people enjoying the experiences, having fun and willing to briefly share their lives with me. This is one of the advantages of solo travel. To anyone reading this considering a solo trip, Disney World is about the best place you can be as far as fun, safety, transportation and FOOD! Of course, you always need to have your wits with you and have common sense.........Now on to the Boardwalk!

I read that the Bon Voyage Breakfast was a must do and the difficulty obtaining an ADR reflected that. I was able to get a 9:00am seating and although I was conflicted on this meal I decided to go. The breakfast in case you don't know features Ariel and Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid and Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled. Now, I must confess, my favorite characters were Sebastian from TLM and Maximus the Horse from Tangled, but alas they weren't scheduled. I arrived early and was able to check out the AbracadaBar @ the Boardwalk. It was not open, but the place is gorgeous! OMG the decor in the place was stunning. I'll go back when it is open someday.
IMG_20190909_084235346.jpgIMG_20190909_084240757.jpg

It is a magic and magician themed place. IMG_20190909_084011285.jpg
Dark woods, stained glass, leather furniture.

My table was ready for my breakfast and I was lead to the farthest table in the corner in the restaurant. This didn't change anything about the character experience or the service. I was just not center stage and that was perfect. Each table receives a small cast-iron-like pan with pastries. They were SOOOO good. The menu has a decent selection of items, but I made the mistake of ordering King Triton's Shipwreck, which although very tasty, was very rich and filling and not my typical choice at 9:00 am. It was a calzone with eggs, sausage, bacon and cheese. Far too heavy for me at that time of the day. The character interaction was great. Flynn Rider smoldered for me, Rapunzel was chatty and fun, Prince Eric & Ariel were great as well, and the kids in the audience were able to dance and parade around. Good time, but I think not the best choice for a solo breakfast as the characters and experience are clearly geared to families and kids. BUT- they make stellar bloody marys!
IMG_20190909_084754253.jpgIMG_20190909_084642394.jpg
IMG_20190909_085328719.jpg

After breakfast I rolled down the boardwalk toward the boat to Epcot. I really wanted to do Frozen Ever After as it was Maelstrom last time I was there (I love me some trolls). MDE said it was a 40 minute wait. My original plan was to head back to ASMov and spend a few hours at the pool and maybe a catnap before my 1:10 ADR at Sanaa.
Nope, nope, nope......I got caught in the lure of seeing Epcot one more time, having a margarita @ Mexico and visiting the Norway Pavilion and Elsa.
By this time, it was 11:00 am and the temp was about 98 and very high humidity. I was wearing very light weight clothing but the heat was starting to drain me. The wait for Frozen Ever After was the longest wait I had the entire trip. About 30 minutes. I enjoyed the ride a lot - it's a well done attraction, but I sure miss "The Spirit of Norway" 😉
One thing I loved was the Gods and Vikings building. What a gem! Norse Gods and mythology are an interest of mine (thank you Ragnar Lothbrok), and this was a hidden, cool and interesting diversion.
IMG_20190909_104655006.jpgIMG_20190909_104759562.jpgIMG_20190909_104856170.jpg
It was very interesting to see antiquities in Epcot. This is an building definitely geared to adults!

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_104633692.jpg
    IMG_20190909_104633692.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
I lingered at Epcot for a bit and due to the heat my pace was slowing down. IMG_20190909_114054559.jpg

I found a dress I WILL wear someday! IMG_20190909_114308404.jpg

With all hope of a nap gone I had to get to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for one of my favorite restaurants. I had said I'd only try new places this trip, but Sanaa is an exception. The combination of the savanna and the food is irresistible to me.
Plus, the Animal Kingdom Lodge has never failed to blow me away with the people and the atmosphere.
IMG_20190909_125445944_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20190909_125530016_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
I was greeted by this amazing gentleman who played me a welcome song.
IMG_20190909_125634212.jpg
IMG_20190909_125839286.jpg
I was greeted by these charming people at Sanaa. Like I said - I love this place!
The food at Sanaa is excellent and I was excited to return. There was a problem that I was still full from breakfast, but I didn't want to miss the bread service. This is where the volume of food gets crazy.
IMG_20190909_131657434_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Bread appetizer and lots of amazing chutneys and sauces! Don't miss this!!
IMG_20190909_134923092.jpg
That was my lunch. Let me tell you, each item was fantastic, but the sheer volume of food was overwhelming. I was fortunate to be able to take my time and eat slowly and enjoy my wine. No rush at all. The servers here are excellent. If you have a birthday, the song they sing is fun and everyone joins in! I spent my lunch chatting with an amazing Canadian couple who had no problem including me in their lunch conversation.
My dessert was packed up with care and actually made it home to NY with me!
I cannot stress enough how excellent Sanaa is. If you are even mildly food adventurous and want a totally unique experience, this is the place. It was my third time here and this restaurant has been consistently delicious.

At some point I was able to extract myself from the table and blob over to the Animal Kingdom for my Fastpass for Flight of Passage! My last night!

Last edited:

One of the coolest and most unique aspects of a WDW vacation as I mentioned before is I don't need to drive and they have many very fun ways to get from place to place. I took the sweet little boat from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom on a warm star filled night. How often do you get to do this on your commute??? :sunny:
View attachment 438424View attachment 438426

There was a MNSSHP going on when I arrived the MK.
View attachment 438428

Not a chance I could do it that night. My plans were to be up at 4:45 AM to get over to Extra, Extra Magic Hours at the Studios, then to Boardwalk then Animal Kingdom.
My private coach back to AS Movies. I love this place! :love:
View attachment 438431

Tomorrow's plans are Galaxy's Edge, Slinky Dog, Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno and Animal Kingdom with Tiffins dinner.
Well after my encounter with the Evil Queen and journeying back to ASMo I was asleep in no time. As mentioned - a quick review of the refurbished rooms at All Star Movies Resort. For the most part, the rooms are wonderful. They removed the carpets as well as the funky bedspreads. They put thought into the sliding doors and other amenities and there is a clean, modern and almost sterile feel - therein lies the problem. The Disney theme is very subdued. They could have added few more Disney movie related features I think. My only real very mild complaint is - the fridge is not a fridge. It is like a wine cooler. No freezer section and does not get drinks cold. The room was a bit hollow sounding, and echoed a bit, I think due to the laminate flooring, but I could not hear neighbors other than the occasional toilet flush. I was on the 3rd floor. I sadly didn't have time to relax at the pool, which is something I enjoy, but next time! All in all I was not disappointed.

My plan for my last full day was to get to Extra-extra magic hours @ Disney Studios to do Galaxy's Edge one more time and
View attachment 438767

As an early riser normally, Extra-extra magic hours was perfect for me! Toy Story Mania was a walk on and I made my way over to Galaxy's Edge before sunrise. I rode Millennium Falcon again and then as the sun rose was able to take in more of the area without crowds.

I have to stress to anyone that only drives or takes buses to to the Disney venues - STOP! Take the boats or the skiffs or ferry or monorail! So many adventures to be had. Soon the Skyliner will be running!

Try to enjoy the ride, take in the sites and love the moments you have.

View attachment 438777

I have to agree, at WDW the journey can be just as enjoyable as any ride! I am enjoying reading about your solo trip. I just booked my first solo trip for this coming week! It is a last minute trip (six days from booking to when I will be there) and unfortunately very short (two nights, one and a half days in the parks). I will be in the area and I just couldn't imagine being in Orlando and not going to Disney, especially since it has been five years since I was last there.

I am hoping to meet a lot of wonderful people while I am there and just enjoying it all at my own place. The ability to wander around as I please and do what I want without the need to incorporate anyone else's wishes and likes is something that I am sure I will like.

I have to agree, at WDW the journey can be just as enjoyable as any ride! I am enjoying reading about your solo trip. I just booked my first solo trip for this coming week! It is a last minute trip (six days from booking to when I will be there) and unfortunately very short (two nights, one and a half days in the parks). I will be in the area and I just couldn't imagine being in Orlando and not going to Disney, especially since it has been five years since I was last there.

I am hoping to meet a lot of wonderful people while I am there and just enjoying it all at my own place. The ability to wander around as I please and do what I want without the need to incorporate anyone else's wishes and likes is something that I am sure I will like.
Sounds like a great quick trip! Enjoy. It is awesome to be able to wander and follow your own schedule.

Great trip report, there is always more magic to be made.
Yuor trippy report is full of new ideas for me to explore.
I hope you know the DisneyParksBlog will have a Live Stream of the new EPCOT Forever on Tuesday evening October 1st. I hope you share this with your son. They have already had 2 mini preview discussions about the magic behind the scene with sneak peeks . I already love this new show, It looks amazing,

Great trip report, there is always more magic to be made.
Yuor trippy report is full of new ideas for me to explore.
I hope you know the DisneyParksBlog will have a Live Stream of the new EPCOT Forever on Tuesday evening October 1st. I hope you share this with your son. They have already had 2 mini preview discussions about the magic behind the scene with sneak peeks . I already love this new show, It looks amazing,
Thank you for the info and for reading my report. I'll definitely be watching it. :sunny:

So, tonight September 30, 2019 is the last night of Illuminations. I'm listening to a live stream of the show. It is fitting for me to finish my trip report.

I left off after lunch at Sanaa. My goal was to make my FastPass at Flight of Passage, as I had not been to Pandora before. New adventures at Disney are exciting.

When I was younger the heat in Florida and the Animal Kingdom didn't bother me much, but this day was very, very hot and humid. Once leaving the bus, it was obvious to me I'd have to pace myself.

I made my way to Pandora and was enchanted and amazed. My first stop, more out of necessity, was the Satu'li Canteen. I needed some water and some time out of the sun. I was not going to risk not making it to Flight of Passage, so I sat for awhile, watched all the other dripping park goers and chatted with some other refugees from the sun.
I HAD to order one of the Hawke's Grog Ale. I enjoyed it immensely.

Then, my FastPass window finally arrived and I was able to ride the near-fabled attraction Flight of Passage. I won't go through a detailed analysis, but suffice to say, that after the ride, I texted both of my sons and said "that was the most spectacular Disney ride I have ever been on". Now, with that said, I would not spend my park time waiting in hours long lines, but I will most definitely do it again, and again. Now, don't get me wrong - I love my Spaceship Earth and it is still my favorite, but FOP is impressive in most every aspect. Had I had more time and energy, I would have spent the coin for the After Hours event, but I was already tired and had my two dining credit meal at Tiffins to make.

The heat was just oppressive. I remembered there was a place near Tiffins called the Nomad Lounge and I made my way slowly there. Let me say, if you are in need of some AK downtime - peace, quiet, cool and a drink, the Nomad Lounge is just spectacular! But SHHHHHH! Keep it quiet lest the secret get out!
IMG_20190909_173128519.jpgIMG_20190909_173143975.jpg

I spent about an hour just relaxing, people watching and taking in this oasis of a spot while I watched thousands of people pass by. It was time for my ADR at Tiffins. For the first time ever for me I passed on FastPasses. Kali River and Na'vi River Journey. Honestly, as hot as I was, being soaked from Kali River was not appealing to me and I was way too relaxed to get over to Na'vi.
One of my things is when I eat out at a Signature Restaurant, I like to look presentable. I had to take some time to get myself together, and finally walked next door to Tiffins.

Let me say, similarly to the Jungle Skipper's, Tiffins has amazing theming and the CMs know it and are proud.
IMG_20190909_174640142.jpgIMG_20190909_174828222.jpg

That totem was hand carved in Bali I was told and used to reside in another part of the park. The rhino sculpture is recycled from CMs costumes.
Seriously, I was still full from lunch, but I had Dining Plan points to use and you don't need to twist my arm. I had the cheese plate for appetizer. OMG amazing.
IMG_20190909_175752925.jpg

For my entree, I had the Grilled Wagyu Beef, Lobster Tail, Purple Potatoes, Charred Peppers, Chimichurri Butter, Bonarda Reduction. It was also outstanding. Cooked perfectly for me. Worth the two credits in service, atmosphere and food.
IMG_20190909_182119961.jpg
My dessert was the whipped cheesecake.
IMG_20190909_185837481.jpg
It was light and delicate but had full cheesecake flavor.
The meal here was excellent. I highly recommend it!

After dinner, I went on a Kilimanjaro Safari. A first dusk trip for me. The rhinos were so close to the truck!
IMG_20190909_195205356_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Then, after the safari, slowly walking back to the entrance and to the bus, taking time to sit and enjoy the Animal Kingdom in the dark.

Hot, tired and overfed, I made it back to my room. The plans to go shopping at Disney Springs were dashed as I really wanted to hang at the pool my last morning.

As excited as I am to get Magical Express mail when I am home, I hate receiving it at my Disney Resort. I knew I had to be front and center at my pickup point by 2:00PM. I thought I'd have enough time for a leisurely breakfast, pool time and checkout.
Well....at dawn, it dawned upon me that I had not ridden the monorail while I was here, nor had I made it to my favorite dream resort..the Poly.
Yes, some girls sing "someday my prince will come", well, I sing "someday I'll stay at the Poly".
I love the place, haven't stayed there....yet!
So, continuing my self-imposed non-stop trip, I got up and had an impressively excellent breakfast at the Food Court.

IMG_20190910_102925212.jpg
Seriously..it was good!
Then, I took the the next bus to Epcot to get on the monorail and transfer to the Polynesian. I love the monorail. I was able to get a car by myself and enjoy the ride!
The Polynesian Hotel never disappoints. It was as beautiful as ever. I strolled the grounds, stopped by the bakery to buy a few treats for my boyfriend at home, and wandered a bit.

IMG_20190910_122746692.jpg
Time was running out! I had a bloody mary at the Tambu Lounge and took a Lyft back to ASMov to get Magical Express. That's the last selfie/picture as the rest was airport and travel.

It was a long flight home to Albany as bad weather had my connection city of Atlanta a total mess, and I didn't arrive home until about 3:45 am. (Of course I had to work that day!)

Now, as I have just watched the stream of the last Illuminations, with significant tearing of the eyes, I realize how much these memories mean to me, both my boys, and to the countless folk who feel the same way. Illuminations has been a fixture for many years and I will relish the memories. However, I have faith that the Imagineers will make another great show to bring more memories to everyone!
Let's face it. We take pics and video of not only the characters and attractions, we photograph room furniture, food, garbage cans, bathrooms, fireworks, water fountains and everything else in the parks that bring us back again! We're hooked! The ending of this one beloved show is just the beginning of another.
We ALL share in the magic. It is very much alive. But to get the magic, try to remember we need to give some magic as well.

If you have made it this far reading my report, as I've said in my other reports, you get it. Thanks for being a kindred!
I'm in my planning stages of the next trip, September 2020, split stay POP and first time Animal Kingdom points rental!
See you there?

Until next time, be well and make your dreams happen. Give some magic to get lots more back!
Jill aka Gerweniel

Great trip report! I will be heading to WDW solo for the first time next year and I love hearing about solo dining experiences. I’m so glad that your Story Book Dining was so fun, and that you had such great CMs throughout the trip. I feel like I’ve been reading about people having less than stellar interactions lately so it’s good to hear that is not always the case!

Great trip report! I will be heading to WDW solo for the first time next year and I love hearing about solo dining experiences. I’m so glad that your Story Book Dining was so fun, and that you had such great CMs throughout the trip. I feel like I’ve been reading about people having less than stellar interactions lately so it’s good to hear that is not always the case!
Thanks for reading Hanna. I have to say that 99% of my interactions with CMs this trip were fabulous and in general the guests were as well. One thing, being solo, you can veer away from crowds and long lines and drama and just hang in a quiet corner. Have a great time on your upcoming trip!

Enjoyed reading your report. I have gone solo a couple of times . I enjoy the freedom though there are times I wish I was sharing the moment with someone . I am planning sept 2020 also - solo .

Having just watched a stream, I thought it fitting to end the trip report with my thoughts on the new Epcot Forever show.
Boy did it blow me away! Tomorrow's Child? Horizons? Universe of Energy? FOOD ROCKS! Veggie veggie fruit fruit!
Holy smokes I could not ask for a better nod and respect to the old days. I was crying, seriously. The only thing that tripped me up was the Aladdin "Whole New World" part at the end, but I understand how it fits.
The kites seemed very cool and I can't wait to see it live myself.
Please if any of you reading this see it in person, send me a message on your thoughts! I won't be there for quite awhile.
Until next time, farewell.
Jill aka Gerweniel

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter