A Few Universal Questions

To finish up my earlier thoughts, at the Studios - I highly recommend ET - it is dated, but I could ride that ride over and over again. Also DH and I love Men in Black - you do get spun around but no large drops or huge acceleration and it is fun to compete with your family. Diagon Alley is AMAZING - you might be able to tell from our dog names that we are big HP people, but I would imagine even if you were not that the level of detail and places to explore in Diagon Alley would still be fun for non-HP people. Also Hogwarts Express is amazing - a gentle ride with great special effects.

As for the Mummy, that is tied with Men in Black and ET for my favorite rides at US/IOA. It is a roller coaster - it does not go upside down, but there is one somewhat big drop, a significant portion of the ride is in the dark and the story line is what I would term scary.

Of course, Shrek 4-D would be safe for you and we enjoyed Despicable Me which is kind of like a simulator ride. I would recommend it for scaredy cats, but NOT for people with motion sickness. The Simpsons ride is quite immersive with a simulated drop.

I hope that my information is helpful!

As for the halloween decorations around the park, it wouldn't be anything that would scare you during the day when you are visiting.

I appreciate all the homies here being so helpful and sharing examples of what UO has to offer to help the newbie during her decision making period

Nice some of the posts are detailed and offer personal experiences
And the thread is staying on topic

I read every thread on the first page of all my 4 forums daily
Just because I don't post in each thread does not mean I haven't read all the posts

The only thing I could add to help the op is to read the ride descriptions in the UO website

It gives basic overall info

I always tell newbies to look at the parks layouts before your visit
I know it might be confusing at first but once in the parks it will make sense

Learn where some of the basics are located in each park
Guest services, restrooms, first aide,
Lost and found, lockers, Etc

And be sure to pick up the park guide maps after you enter the park

Show times are listed in it
Street entertainment also listed

Those items do change during the week so do not rely on the map you picked up three days ago

I don't have much to add to the already wonderful detailed answers here other than I think it's probably an it misleading to say that Jurassic parks drop "isn't that bad"
It's a very steep drop, much more than say splash mountain (someone here years ago did the stats on the two, I wish I could remember them) so that's just something to be aware of.
I definitely agree that you should go to the splash zone to watch the drop portion of JPRA to determine if it's too much for your family.

That was so, so helpful. Thank you.

For the Mummy ride, I can handle jerky if it is like Dinosaur, Big Thunder, Dwarfs Coaster, etc. It is more "erratic" than that?

Does forbidden journey have drops or does it spin? It looks like it spins or maybe even goes upside down.
The mummy is like Expedition Everest it will drop you backwards and forwards is a full indoor roller coaster, if you don't like simulation don't try it, the mummy is the real thing, I will agree that if you guys don't even enjoy simulated rides Universal/ IoA might not be the place to go BUT at least once everyone should visit at judge for themselves, I myself am a chicken and have done the mummy (never again) once, but do enjoy all simulation rides somenthing about knowing is "fake" gives me courage it would be a shame to miss the forbidden journey at Harry Potter is a great ride.

The mummy is like Expedition Everest it will drop you backwards and forwards is a full indoor roller coaster, if you don't like simulation don't try it, the mummy is the real thing, I will agree that if you guys don't even enjoy simulated rides Universal/ IoA might not be the place to go BUT at least once everyone should visit at judge for themselves, I myself am a chicken and have done the mummy (never again) once, but do enjoy all simulation rides somenthing about knowing is "fake" gives me courage it would be a shame to miss the forbidden journey at Harry Potter is a great ride.

How much of a backward drop? I HATE the one on Everest because I feel like my chest is collapsing. Backwards is fine, it is that spinning our of control feeling that comes with it that I do not like.

I feel like the Mummy going backwards is less than Everest. I rode the Mummy at least five times the end of April. I don't remember it being very long going backward -- mostly because the Mummy IS very stop/start. There are some great POV youtube videos for The Mummy. I will say that The Mummy is very loud. I always cover my ears because I can't stand how loud he is. And if you have any kind of sunburn, the fire effect in that last room hurts quite a bit. I learned that from recent experience. :( Use sunscreen.

The Minion ride is fun, but it does simulate falling. I would say it's not BAD. Especially since it's super cute. The Jimmy Fallon ride is also fun. I don't think there's much falling in that either. It's a lot of bouncing in both, I'd say.

The theming is a lot of fun anywhere you go. There's lots to see and do and eat. Just enjoy yourselves no matter what!

Because of the visuals or the movement?
The visuals. The bats scared the crap out of her. And it was just too dark, loud, intense for her.

She does scare fairly easily. She didn't like the Mummy at all either because it was dark and scary (her words). We saw several other younger kids who were fine with it.

How much of a backward drop? I HATE the one on Everest because I feel like my chest is collapsing. Backwards is fine, it is that spinning our of control feeling that comes with it that I do not like.

It's not like Everest. The ride is inside a warehouse and I don't think it's more than 3 stories tall. There isn't enough room or height for a steep drop. I remember the ride as being more fast and twisty/curvy than steep drops.

Hi!! :wave:

We have never been to Universal. We are making our first trip this fall. I have a few questions.

1 - Most of us do not like thrill rides. Will there still be plenty to do for 2 days? We are all pretty much ride chickens so if there are big drops, anything upside down, spinning or any VR that simulates falling, we don't want any of it :)

3 - In the Harry Potter park, if you are not a HP fan, will you still be able to enjoy yourself? Some of us are really looking forward to it and some are not fans of the movie and so they are hesitant about taking the train over with the rest of the crew.
I personally wouldn't spend all that money to go to a park that is almost exclusively VR, 3D thrill rides. What you described as being chicken for is almost all of the rides there.

There are plenty of rides and shows to enjoy. This family will have a great time.
Y'all honestly don't think after you take out all the rides that fit the rules in the #1 above there "plenty" left? I sort of agree with @eyehartdisney here, I would not spend the money to go to Universal parks if I was going to cut out that much, and wasn't a Potter fan on top of it all. Sorry, this doesn't come from someone "from the Disney side" whatever that means either. I hold AP to both parks. Love both.

I would be surprised if they could fill 1 day. I think it's as fair to give this opinion as it is to tell them there is plenty to do. Because that's what they ask, is there plenty to do for 2 days. If I was going to go it would be for 1 day, not 2. Not unless I was going to ride a lot more than what they say they'll like. Universal just has too many thrill, VR type rides (which is why I do love it)

I can't remember if these were mentioned, but the water rides at Universal are amazing as well.
Yes! Wear swim suits or clothes that you are good to be wet (soaked) in and ride them over and over again. That we always plan a chunk of time for. Especially Bluto's. I know other love Dudley's but it wasn't my favorite. DGD loves it though

That was so, so helpful. Thank you.

For the Mummy ride, I can handle jerky if it is like Dinosaur, Big Thunder, Dwarfs Coaster, etc. It is more "erratic" than that?

Does forbidden journey have drops or does it spin? It looks like it spins or maybe even goes upside down.
I'm a bit of a thrill ride junkie and FJ took my breath away a time or two. I wouldn't, in good conscious, ever suggest it for a professed ride chicken. That part where it feels like it's going to dump you backwards is quite thrill inducing. You spin, fly, flip all directions, just short of going upside down.

JPRA has an 85 foot drop, Splash Mountain is a 50 foot.

The backward section on Mummy is nothing like Expedition Everest......it's short. Really short.

OP.....check the park maps and see what's on offer for you........I'm amazed when in the past we see folks say Universal is just for huge coaster fans and there's nothing else to do. There is plenty to pass time there even if you don't do any rides.....as to whether that's worth it to you is subjective.

I would go for 2 days and have a really relaxing time doing all the things you want to and can do. I couldn't even scratch the surface in 1 day.

Y'all honestly don't think after you take out all the rides that fit the rules in the #1 above there "plenty" left? I sort of agree with @eyehartdisney here, I would not spend the money to go to Universal parks if I was going to cut out that much, and wasn't a Potter fan on top of it all. Sorry, this doesn't come from someone "from the Disney side" whatever that means either. I hold AP to both parks. Love both.

I would be surprised if they could fill 1 day. I think it's as fair to give this opinion as it is to tell them there is plenty to do. Because that's what they ask, is there plenty to do for 2 days. If I was going to go it would be for 1 day, not 2. Not unless I was going to ride a lot more than what they say they'll like. Universal just has too many thrill, VR type rides (which is why I do love it)

First off WE ALL do think this family will have a lovely time. I just returned from a 10 day fantastic stay at Universal with my grandchildren. I don't ride all the rides and have a great time.

I would never discourage someone from buying a ticket to the Magic Kingdom just because they did not want to ride Space Mountain, The Mine train or the tea cups. There is more to the magic Kingdom then those rides. Just as there is more to Universal then thrill rides.

I met a number of nice folks who were traveling with their families who were not Potter fans have never read the books and were absolutely blown away by Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

So like others have posted. Go online and look at the maps of the parks. Get your brochure as you enter the parks so you have the times for the shows. Ride whatever rides you and your family feel comfortable riding. Enjoy some nice meals and have a great first time at Universal pixiedust:

First off WE ALL do think this family will have a lovely time. I just returned from a 10 day fantastic stay at Universal with my grandchildren. I don't ride all the rides and have a great time.

I would never discourage someone from buying a ticket to the Magic Kingdom just because they did not want to ride Space Mountain, The Mine train or the tea cups. There is more to the magic Kingdom then those rides. Just as there is more to Universal then thrill rides.

I met a number of nice folks who were traveling with their families who were not Potter fans have never read the books and were absolutely blown away by Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

So like others have posted. Go online and look at the maps of the parks. Get your brochure as you enter the parks so you have the times for the shows. Ride whatever rides you and your family feel comfortable riding. Enjoy some nice meals and have a great first time at Universal pixiedust:
I simply believe both sides of an opinion are allowed to be given. Neither are right or wrong and OP did ask for opinions. Last I checked that doesn't mean only opinions that agree with the majority.

And no, I wouldn't discourage someone from going to MK if they didn't like 3 rides but if they didn't like more than half of them I may not recommend multiple days there.

KyleAfterAwhile if you have any additional questions after looking at the maps. Come back and someone will jump in and help you. Have a great day.

The visuals. The bats scared the crap out of her. And it was just too dark, loud, intense for her.

She does scare fairly easily. She didn't like the Mummy at all either because it was dark and scary (her words). We saw several other younger kids who were fine with it.

Thank you for that. I will tell one of the traveling companions, because there is an 11 year old boy who has nightmares over Call of Duty commercials. (true story)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter