A Few Universal Questions

You are getting increasingly aggressive and rude for absolutely no reason. You do not speak for everyone, and just because YOU have a great time here, doesn't mean that others in the same instance will. The only complaints I hear about US is the people who are as OP is- not HP fans, not thrill riders. You can check the trip reports for that. There is A LOT of money on the line for something they may or may not enjoy. I, likewise, would never recommend going to disney world for thrill seekers. They just aren't going to get that experience there, despite the fact that I, a thrill seeker, enjoy WDW. I however, go into it fully informed of the type of experience it is, as we are trying to inform the above poster. So please for goodness sakes stop trying to silence people who are trying to inform.

OP here. ;) I did not read anything rude or aggressive about the comment. I asked the question and I am thankful for both sides. I honestly feel those who are a bit more discouraging or trying to caution us are posting with a little attitude, not the other way around. All opinions are fine. Honestly, somebody else is paying, it is his choice, he purchased the tickets yesterday, so we are going regardless at this point. I am sure they have somebody like a cast member where we can ask as well before we get on something that might ruin our day. :rotfl:

Some of the comments here have been immensely helpful in our planning. I appreciate all of them as long as they are not for the sake of arguing. I would have never known about the Halloween activities if somebody did not say something. Our families all despise Halloween and it was helpful to know about early closing so we could rearrange our plans for the days we are at Universal. The thought to look that up on my own would have never occurred as I do not seek out "horror" or Halloween events. I would have told everybody that Jurassic Park would have been fine if somebody did not post about the drop. I would have never known that Kong could scare one of the nephews if somebody did not mention it.

OP here. ;) I did not read anything rude or aggressive about the comment. I asked the question and I am thankful for both sides. I honestly feel those who are a bit more discouraging or trying to caution us are posting with a little attitude, not the other way around. All opinions are fine. Honestly, somebody else is paying, it is his choice, he purchased the tickets yesterday, so we are going regardless at this point. I am sure they have somebody like a cast member where we can ask as well before we get on something that might ruin our day. :rotfl:

Some of the comments here have been immensely helpful in our planning. I appreciate all of them as long as they are not for the sake of arguing. I would have never known about the Halloween activities if somebody did not say something. Our families all despise Halloween and it was helpful to know about early closing so we could rearrange our plans for the days we are at Universal. The thought to look that up on my own would have never occurred as I do not seek out "horror" or Halloween events. I would have told everybody that Jurassic Park would have been fine if somebody did not post about the drop. I would have never known that Kong could scare one of the nephews if somebody did not mention it.

I'm so glad to read this.

We do try to be helpful to new visitors to Universal Orlando, and I too saw nothing rude and certainly not aggressive in Robo's posts. Robo is a very genuine person who had a desire to help and inform like most of us do on the Universal boards.

Disagreeing with a negative post doesn't make you aggressive.

I'm so glad you got some help with your questions.........it is quite daunting to go somewhere for the first time. I myself love Halloween Horror nights but certainly appreciate it's not for everyone, so again, I'm glad you now know about this ahead of time and can plan accordingly.

And how lovely someone is treating you to this trip........I honestly hope you love Universal as most of us do and have the best time possible. I do know many people who weren't initially sure they'd enjoy Universal as they dint enjoy certain types of rides, but they now love Universal and what is has to offer them.

Please come back and tell us how it turned out for your group.........and as Robo said, any questions please ask away and someone on the Universal boards will be happy to answer you........:wave2:

It looks like my original post disappeared telling all to stay on topic

Use the pm system if you want to talk to others of your opinions about the parks please

If the posts sway off of answering the original questions, i will be deleting threads

Thank you for that. I will tell one of the traveling companions, because there is an 11 year old boy who has nightmares over Call of Duty commercials. (true story)

If the 11 year-old gets scared from TV commercials, I would recommend avoiding Mummy - I have ridden it 10+ times, but the story line is dark (psychologically-speaking in addition to literally being in the dark). The kid version of myself would be very scared of this ride.

I was talking to DH about this thread at dinner tonight to see if he agreed with me that there is plenty for non-thrill riders to do and he totally agreed. He also suggested spending sometime at City Walk - we really liked Toothsome Chocolate Emporium - fun to see chocolate treats being made!

If the 11 year-old gets scared from TV commercials, I would recommend avoiding Mummy - I have ridden it 10+ times, but the story line is dark (psychologically-speaking in addition to literally being in the dark). The kid version of myself would be very scared of this ride.

I was talking to DH about this thread at dinner tonight to see if he agreed with me that there is plenty for non-thrill riders to do and he totally agreed. He also suggested spending sometime at City Walk - we really liked Toothsome Chocolate Emporium - fun to see chocolate treats being made!
Funny. I gave DH my phone tonight and had him read the first post, items 1 and 3 specially, no responses, and asked what his advice was
His first thought was to try things, to not be so scared. I had to remind him that it is not that simple and if you are scared and don't like things, you don't like them, nothing wrong with that. This isn't about getting to expand experiences.
He said in that case, if they really won't ride all those rides, skip universal.

He also agreed, no way would someone scared easily ride FJ or Gringo two

We both even wondered about our favorite, the make up show

THe way I feel about rides might be just opposite of some one else

So I usually suggest reading trip reports where you get more details how a family felt about the specific rides
Some give background of how their kids reacted to rides of heights or speed

You tube can give a visual at times to help make a decision

I think the biggest concern to me about trying new rides, is motion sickness can occur

One time I was hit with vertigo from a ride and it killed my park day

The way all have listed what can be an issue, sounds pretty solid to me

With a lot of posters giving information, I'm sure you have a good start of what your family can handle in the parks

I went back to read the suggestions
Don't think I missed anyone posting on the street entertainment

Guide maps will list the times and locations for live street entertainment

Near Mel's dinner and horror make up show theater, a mini parade of fun entertainment
Music and dancing and peeps on pogo sticks the entire time
Delightful 15 minutes to watch

Blues brothers live show in the alley section of finnegans restaurant

Live show of singing groups in front of the mummy ride area
Look alike stars sing and dance to entertain all and include those that are watching

In the alley way right by Central Park will be a singing group entertainment

Over by Louie's are the Beat builders making beat drum music and a different style of music and dance

Animal actors on parade is a great family show
This is a nice place shaded with bleacher seats

Characters are in select areas near the front of the park and pose for pictures
Marilyn Monroe, shaggy and the crew arrive in their bus, Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, Doc and more

Check the guide park maps for time and place

Ioa has the super heroes ride in on atvs and them do autographs and pictures
Being your cameras and they pose for you

Near burger digs eatery catch a Dino creature and do pics
Comical it can be if you have not seen it before

So if rides aren't enough for the family, park entertainment can be fun way for the family to for part of the day

I went back to read the suggestions
Don't think I missed anyone posting on the street entertainment

Guide maps will list the times and locations for live street entertainment

Near Mel's dinner and horror make up show theater, a mini parade of fun entertainment
Music and dancing and peeps on pogo sticks the entire time
Delightful 15 minutes to watch

Blues brothers live show in the alley section of finnegans restaurant

Live show of singing groups in front of the mummy ride area
Look alike stars sing and dance to entertain all and include those that are watching

In the alley way right by Central Park will be a singing group entertainment

Over by Louie's are the men at Louie's beat builders making beat drum music and a different style of music and dance

Animal actors on parade is a great family show
This is a nice place shaded with bleacher seats

Characters are in select areas near the front of the park and pose for pictures
Marilyn Monroe, shaggy and the crew arrive in their bus, Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, Doc and more

Check the guide park maps for time and place

Ioa has the super heroes ride in on atvs and them do autographs and pictures
Being your cameras and they pose for you

Near burger digs eatery catch a Dino creature and do pics
Comical it can be if you have not seen it before

So if rides aren't enough for the family, park entertainment can be fun way for the family to for part of the day

Yep.........we spend a lot of time watching the street shows that have appeared over the last few years at Universal........Beat Builders in particular are fabulous to watch.........think we watched them every time we passed if the show was on. And of course the Blues Brothers show........

You could easily spend a lot of time watching the entertainment they now have.........so different to the park 10 years ago........

I agree, there's plenty to keep people amused.

I appreciate all of the help. I am sharing it with the whole party. A few more questions, please.

What is the biggest "thrill issue" with Forbidden Journey? It is motion sickness, being tossed around or drops? I read it was 3d and then changed to 2d because of complaints or motion sickness.

Skull Island - does your vehicle get "tossed around" or is everything on screens to make you feel like you are falling and being thrown? It will not bother most of us, but I want to be able to warn the seniors in the party.

With Mummy, is the drop backwards just a drop or is it a helix? I cannot do the backwards drop in Everest. I do not mind the dark and I do not mind backwards, but the helix is too much. Makes my chest hurt.

Gringotts ride - it looks like the cars spin. Do I see that correctly on the videos? Like the teacups or Primevil Whirl in Animal Kingdom?

Spiderman - does it also spin around a lot? Everybody can handle Dinosaur and Toy Story Mania, but not everybody can handle a teacup.

Minions - Is it all on screen or does the platform where you are seated also move along with it?

I think some of the group has already considered meclizine, but for those who get headaches, I want to warn them.

FJ it's a bit of it all. It tosses you around, you flip most every direction but upside down. And it's very in your face scary with spiders and dementors. Neither DH or I suffer any motion sickness on any ride at all and we could both feel a tiny bit of dizziness after FJ, if that tells you anything. Only ride at any FL park that did this to us. Didn't stop us from riding several times mind you. We are in our 50's so I'm not sure how senior the seniors in your party are
Minions seat moves but it does offer a stationary seat so that may be a good option for your group.
I know with Gringotts, Kong and Spiderman you feel like you are spining/moving/falling. I am not sure if it's 100% on the screen or if the vehicle does some of the moving too. Probably a combination of the 2. I know the end result is how you feel. Seems like Spiderman had the most spinning of the 3. Kong is our least favorite. We often skip it as it's just not a very good ride and has awful waits, even with Express Pass.

Motion sickness seems to be the contributing factor to people being nauseous on FJ. It is a little rough, but you never go upside down. I suffer from motion sickness on certain simulators, I cannot do Simpsons, but FJ I can do once or twice in a row.

You don't get tossed around on Kong. It's all simulation........the vehicle moves slightly but when you see the vehicle it barely twitches, it doesn't feel bad at all. We are the opposite of previous poster.......we have never waited long with EP........regular queue was over an hour and a half last September and we were on in 10 minutes.....each time and we went on it a lot. Totally depends on time of visit. Regular queue is good if you desire, but can be a little much for nervous folk as occasionally a TM can jump out at you. I loved it, it was fun but appreciate it's not for everyone.

The Mummy backwards section is nowhere near the intensity of the backward section of EE. It's very short and you don't "dip" backwards.

Gringotts is more a swooshing motion most of the way......it spins a little, but it's not intense. The first bit has a tiny drop, I don't like calling it a drop as it isn't a drop in the real sense...... it can be a bit daunting for folks who don't like anything like that at all. You move quickly for a few seconds then the swooshing starts and a simulated drop but the vehicle doesn't drop.

Spider-Man does spin. You do get flung around a lot. It does have a simulated drop too. Transformers is almost identical, but I find TF slightly worse. I got a headache after Transformers but never after Spider-Man.

Minions does have moving vehicles.......as in it moves you around, the ride car doesn't leave the spot. It's a little jerky but not bad. It does have stationery seating.

That part where it feels like it's going to dump you backwards is quite thrill inducing. You spin, fly, flip all directions, just short of going upside down.

and this ride chicken will be quite happy to tour the castle and wait outside for my thrill seeking DD to finish the ride. Might even sneak in a butterbeer while I wait. Thank you!

Just have to say schumigirl I've been reading your trip report from 2016 and finally just grabbed a notebook to start writing down the places you all ate. Am really enjoying it!

Also want to say I've enjoyed reading this thread, we're a family of ride chickens and thrill seekers. I really appreciate those of you chiming in about the nature of some of the rides so I know which ones to ride and which ones to wait for others on.

Motion sickness seems to be the contributing factor to people being nauseous on FJ. It is a little rough, but you never go upside down. I suffer from motion sickness on certain simulators, I cannot do Simpsons, but FJ I can do once or twice in a row.

You don't get tossed around on Kong. It's all simulation........the vehicle moves slightly but when you see the vehicle it barely twitches, it doesn't feel bad at all. We are the opposite of previous poster.......we have never waited long with EP........regular queue was over an hour and a half last September and we were on in 10 minutes.....each time and we went on it a lot. Totally depends on time of visit. Regular queue is good if you desire, but can be a little much for nervous folk as occasionally a TM can jump out at you. I loved it, it was fun but appreciate it's not for everyone.

The Mummy backwards section is nowhere near the intensity of the backward section of EE. It's very short and you don't "dip" backwards.

Gringotts is more a swooshing motion most of the way......it spins a little, but it's not intense. The first bit has a tiny drop, I don't like calling it a drop as it isn't a drop in the real sense...... it can be a bit daunting for folks who don't like anything like that at all. You move quickly for a few seconds then the swooshing starts and a simulated drop but the vehicle doesn't drop.

Spider-Man does spin. You do get flung around a lot. It does have a simulated drop too. Transformers is almost identical, but I find TF slightly worse. I got a headache after Transformers but never after Spider-Man.

Minions does have moving vehicles.......as in it moves you around, the ride car doesn't leave the spot. It's a little jerky but not bad. It does have stationery seating.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I am very much on the fence about Gringotts. I do not mind "swooshing" if it is like Toy Story Mania, but the moment we can call it a spin, I might lose my butterbeer. I never did the merry-go-round as a lad. About killed me. lol

Thank you. This is very helpful. I am very much on the fence about Gringotts. I do not mind "swooshing" if it is like Toy Story Mania, but the moment we can call it a spin, I might lose my butterbeer. I never did the merry-go-round as a lad. About killed me. lol

I know what you mean. I've never done TSM so can't compare......maybe someone who has done both can reply to you.......

I can't do things like merry go rounds, teacups and similar........but Gringotts is fine. We don't see any reports from folks complaining about motion sickness or similar on that ride. If there was any posts like that I missed them.

It's an awful feeling when rides hit you like that.......

and this ride chicken will be quite happy to tour the castle and wait outside for my thrill seeking DD to finish the ride. Might even sneak in a butterbeer while I wait. Thank you!

Just have to say schumigirl I've been reading your trip report from 2016 and finally just grabbed a notebook to start writing down the places you all ate. Am really enjoying it!

Also want to say I've enjoyed reading this thread, we're a family of ride chickens and thrill seekers. I really appreciate those of you chiming in about the nature of some of the rides so I know which ones to ride and which ones to wait for others on.

Seeing the castle itself is amazing, and if you can't ride it's the next best thing.......:thumbsup2

And thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying the trip report........we definitely enjoy our food over there.......:D

I'd give all the rides a try. For some reason, there's little unanimous sentiment about which rides are bad for motion sickness. I had to close my eyes on the Simpsons but had no trouble on other simulators. Gringotts is way too much fun to skip. Try it once. It's really the only way to know if you can handle it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter