A Full Go on Riviera Resort

Not my implication at all, apologize if you read into my message that way, but I wanted to highlight part of my original post that seemed might have been missed based on your response to it. You simply stated that scooter magnitude would increase with increasing occupancy, I agree with that statement. However, I just wanted to note that Riviera is at full capacity (or near it) so you you can start to make some assumptions on the impact to the Skyliner now, since as you stated you don't think DVC owners would use scooters at any higher rate (unless you disagree with that, at which point I would recommend waiting until the resort sells out).

I do agree the mornings and end of days will have more delays than most of the day simply cause more guests will be using the skyliner so we can expect more scooters during that time.
You provided information I did not have. I did not expect Riviera to be at full capacity yet especially given the early black eyes of Skyliner stoppage and bunk beds falling over. That got me thinking about what guests would be more likely to have scooters in their party? Then given the party makeup, where might they be more likely to stay? A few minutes of mulling this over I quickly realized I had way more variables than I had data to make any predictions. I still think not having a separate loading zone for scooters and wheelchairs at Riviera will bite, I just have no clue how hard.

I'm not a DVC owner but I plan to be soon. Last year I took 3 trips-Coronado, Con. Garden Wing, and Con. Main tower. Not rack rate but close enough....anyway thank you for this thread.

I want the rooms and facilities to be nice and I want to be able to take my grandkids to Disney (when I have them still at least 10 years or more out). Over the years we keep coming back to the contemporary especially the garden wing because it's ease of pool access and we can walk to MK. We dislike the Contempo Main tower because of the Chef Mickey traffic when you are trying to get from room to pool and back. PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT CHEF MICKEY IS ON THE 4TH FLOOR-NO NEED TO PUSH ALL THE FLOOR BUTTONS TO GET THERE. Easy access from room to pool and back is a huge plus for my family and it looks like the Riv. is a huge tower thus standing in an elevator with wet kids for multiple floor stops is just a bummer.

With that in mind how would folks rate the Riv. in terms of access to the pool and ability to get to the parks in a timely manner? I can buy into one of the other DVC resorts for a few less years than the Riv. and more $ per point-but I know I can get ease of access to parks, great pool.

One other question-with the DVC "perks" can't those go away at anytime? The only thing that you are really buying are the points? So for example Moonlight Magic and dinning discounts-could go away tomorrow?

BLT is one of my favorite places and was the main reason we bought in to DVC because we were big Contemporary fans. If MK is one of your go to parks..or the one you will spend the most time at, there is something to be said about being able to walk back at night if you feel up to it, or just jump on the monorail and be there pretty quickly. The downside of that is that you have to bus to the other parks, or take the monorail to TTC and then change to get to Epcot.

With RIV, you have the Skyliner for ease to Epcot and HS (when it is working well) and buses elsewhere. I now own BWV, SSR, and RIV. Epcot has become our favorite because we are no longer traveling with young kids. However, I also like to split stay a lot so that I can have ease to two different parks. When I cant, I simply Uber/Lyft (not Minnie Van...too expensive) to get me to the parks. The one that isn't as easy is MK since there is no direct drop off unless it's Minnie Van...in these cases, I have taken it to BLT and walked myself (or VGF and monorailed).

Both BLT and RIV are towers, so either one is going to require waiting for an elevator, unless you always request 1st floor.

DVC perks can go away at any time, including the AP discount. I bought RIV recently because my adult children thought it was a great one to own and I was adding them to the deed. I also have a lot of other points so if they want to stay at BLT, I have the points to trade in there at 7 months, but figured owning RIV and having a chance to try and book SV rooms...or Tower Rooms when I go alone...was important.

I would say that either one is a good place to buy in. One option if you like both (and want to stay away from BWV or BCV due to ending date), is to consider buying 100 points at RIV direct and then adding on more points via resale at BLT. Your RIV points would be good everywhere, including new resorts. The BLT points will only be good at the L14 resorts. But, at 7 months, you could use both RIV and BLT together to book any of the other L14 resorts, still get the direct perks for as long as they are there, and own two resorts and consider split stays to give you the best access to a few parks.

Good luck!

We dislike the Contempo Main tower because of the Chef Mickey traffic when you are trying to get from room to pool and back. PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT CHEF MICKEY IS ON THE 4TH FLOOR-NO NEED TO PUSH ALL THE FLOOR BUTTONS TO GET THERE.
OMG THIS IS US. Also: unless you have a stroller, you can get to Chef Mickey's by escalator!!!
To us, this is the biggest drawback to BLT/Contemp and the whole "monorail access to MK and TTC" selling point (and I own BLT). When we were traveling with a double stroller (and one trip with a double stroller AND scooter for MIL), we waited for multiple elevators before we could get one. There's no semblance of a line AT ALL. It's like every wheeled vehicle for themselves. It got to the point where we'd use points to stay at Swolphin and only go to Epcot that way. (And, ultimately, why we wanted a home resort near EP) I avoid the Contemporary monorail at all costs, even when staying at BLT.

Easy access from room to pool and back is a huge plus for my family and it looks like the Riv. is a huge tower thus standing in an elevator with wet kids for multiple floor stops is just a bummer.

With that in mind how would folks rate the Riv. in terms of access to the pool and ability to get to the parks in a timely manner? I can buy into one of the other DVC resorts for a few less years than the Riv. and more $ per point-but I know I can get ease of access to parks, great pool.

There is a really nice rest room with a shower around the corner from Bar Riva - it's not as close as, say, the locker room from the feature pool at VGF, but it has a warm shower and changing area if you wanted to dry off/change or even shower before going up to the room. There are 2 elevator banks that are not immediately off the main lobby,* so there are basically 8 elevators for the whole resort. (Compare to 6 elevators for all of BLT) - the result is that unless you dry off completely or shower before going back to your room, there will always be some component of being in an elevator with wet kids. But there's enough elevators that even staying in the east wing (that has the topolino's-dedicated elevators), we weren't sharing an elevator with anyone except at mealtimes. VGF, a much smaller resort, only had 3 elevators, but I felt like the wait time and elevator crowding was comparable.

Edited: *so pretty much the only non-residential guests at RIV who will be taking the elevator are scooters and strollers that need to go from lobby level to "backyard" level, and Topolino's guests.

As for access to parks: to us, walking will always be better than transportation (why we own BLT and soon another reason to like VGF more), but we like the Skyliner much more than bus or boat or monorail. We left EP on NYE around 7:30pm (after 6:30 fireworks - it took us that long to walk from the crowds at Norway around WS to get out) and the line for the skyliner was down the ramp, but steadily moving. DH and DD1 rented a surrey bike for 25 minutes, we went back to the skyliner there was no line; we walked on. Riding a surrey bike or hanging out on the BW beats waiting the crowds on a monorail platform or boat dock or bus stop any day.

Buses - there are separate stops at RIV for each bus, which really alleviates the crowding when a bus pulls in to load guests. We always had a seat on the bus (only took to and from MK and HS once each, so small sample size). Ditto with returning from the parks - (yes, one HS day different parts of the skyliner were down) - RIV has its own stop at the parks and we always had plenty of room. If you have to take a bus (I hate taking the bus), it was about as pleasant as could be.

Last edited:
I would say that either one is a good place to buy in. One option if you like both (and want to stay away from BWV or BCV due to ending date), is to consider buying 100 points at RIV direct and then adding on more points via resale at BLT. Your RIV points would be good everywhere, including new resorts. The BLT points will only be good at the L14 resorts. But, at 7 months, you could use both RIV and BLT together to book any of the other L14 resorts, still get the direct perks for as long as they are there, and own two resorts and consider split stays to give you the best access to a few parks.
This is a great idea (if you can make it work financially). We had really bought RIV to do split stays with our BLT but couldn't make the UY work (no Feb points until 2020 for RIV, and we didn't want to start our ownership in borrowing mode, so we matched our VGF UY instead)

There are 2 elevator banks that are not immediately off the main lobby, so there are basically 8 elevators for the whole resort. (Compare to 6 elevators for all of BLT) - the result is that unless you dry off completely or shower before going back to your room, there will always be some component of being in an elevator with wet kids. But there's enough elevators that even staying in the east wing (that has the topolino's-dedicated elevators), we weren't sharing an elevator with anyone except at mealtimes. VGF, a much smaller resort, only had 3 elevators, but I felt like the wait time and elevator crowding was comparable.

I feel like this is just calling for @crvetter to do a chart like they did for perceived/actual pool size... 🤣

Interesting you should ask. The TOTAL number of points per year per villa remain constant. The points for any given night can vary. In fact for calendar year 2021, DVC has increased the number of point periods from 5 to 7 and redistributed the points per night. (Some increase in the number of points required for when I usually travel and a decrease in the number of points when I usually do not travel.) DVC may be doing this to make more availability during popular times of the year and/or encouraging more point purchases (more likely).
Ahh good to know. So really only on year over year the Annual dues can change. Unless what you said about redistributing points.

Ahh good to know. So really only on year over year the Annual dues can change. Unless what you said about redistributing points.

Correct. Depending on when you travel, you may see an increase in specific point costs for that trip, but when the point charts are adjusted, another time will go down,

So, if one is flexible in when they can go, adjusting time of trip can help insulate.

Dues go up ever year for sure. But if one buys about 10% more points for typical trips, it should be enough to help with any future adjustments

Also, don’t buy for the least expensive options at resorts, like AKV value, BWV standard, Tower Studios at RIV, SV studios at RIV, or BLT SV.

CCV studios are also very hard, even at 11 months.

Yes, Annual dues can and do change. I have not seen a larger than 5% increase in dues per point year over year. YMMV

Yes, Annual dues can and do change. I have not seen a larger than 5% increase in dues per point year over year. YMMV
Below find the historical average YOY increase in the dues for each resort and all resorts for the 2017 to 2019. This hasn't been updated for the most recent 2020 dues. The historical 5% referenced above is a good upper limit for the long term average (aside from BLT and VGC which each had some issues: BLT accused of super low dues in order to sell the resort and VGC has California inflation to work with).
So here are the dues history:

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...content/2494-historical-annual-dues-by-resort

And here is an idea for the average annual YOY due increase for each resort for 2017 to 2019 (only the copper creek timeline):

View attachment 401225

For fun here is the average yearly increase in dues since inception for each resort

View attachment 401236

Well monthly data out for Riviera. For the month of December they sold 776 contracts totalling 121,869 points (157 average per contract). This is Riviera's best month in their short history. It doesnt look like the resale restrictions are slowing it down very much. We still need more data to make this determination.

When did they start selling Riviera? Was it last January? Glad things are moving along in a good direction. Am already thinking of a small add-on. We planned on staying there for the low point season.....early December and the month of January. New points charts are messing us up. Decisions decisions.:scratchin

When did they start selling Riviera? Was it last January? Glad things are moving along in a good direction. Am already thinking of a small add-on. We planned on staying there for the low point season.....early December and the month of January. New points charts are messing us up. Decisions decisions.:scratchin

I believe April?

Go ahead :stir: you know you want too :-)

They started selling at the end of March, but I don’t think the first deeds were recorded until maybe the beginning of April.

I foresee Disney tearing down most of CBR and turning that into a shopping/ entertainment area. Think about it--skyliner access to that location would be very lucrative for them. Something to think about.

I foresee Disney tearing down most of CBR and turning that into a shopping/ entertainment area. Think about it--skyliner access to that location would be very lucrative for them. Something to think about.
Honestly this probably won't happen any time soon. They just Redid the Whole lobby, food court, added a new restaurant, and redid the Gift shop at CBR.

I'm not sure I understand the hate for CBR. We stayed there on our Honeymoon 2015 right after the room refurbs started and it was really nice. We stayed there last summer for 5 nights and the new lobby is pretty awesome. Its very Beach clubish. I'm not sure what smell they pump into CBR's lobby but I would buy it so bad lol. If anything CBR is nicer and more appealing than it ever has been. New lobby, Skyliner support, proximty to Riviera adds even more value to CBR honestly. Its not going anywhere. The only thing it needs is new flooring in the rooms now that carpet is leaving Disney Resorts and honestly good riddance. Getting rid of Carpet is one of the best things Disney has ever done. the Vinyl Plank flooring they've been putting in is so much cleaners and more hygienic.

I understand that People saying a Deluxe shouldn't be that close or have such a view of a Moderate but its not like CBR is ugly or anything. I get it.

If anything I see Disney expanding the Skyliner to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. They could put a Skyliner Station at Coronado then shoot it over to Animal Kingdom. The Skyliner is the future of Transportation at Disney anyway you look at it. Its cleaner and greener than busses, and much safer than Buses. Also most likely more cost effective with much less maintenance and sadly they wouldn't need as many bus drivers also.

Spot on, OP. Spot on.

We just checked out and are huge fans.

Only downside for us was only having 1 toilet in the 1 b/r villa. A small powder room w/toilet would have been great.

Not having to deal with nasty stains and "what the heck is THAT?" on furniture is a huge plus. I'm sure that will happen in time but staying in a brand new Disney property that still has the glitz and shine on it was a real treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter