A Full Go on Riviera Resort

So are the Standard View Deluxe Studios really going to be hard to get into at 11 months? For 2021 a Week in June11-Aug15th in a Standard Studio is 146 points. Okay So on par with BLT Standard View(132) and BLT Lake View(148). But if Riviera doesn't have many Standard View Studios and I have to jump up to a Preferred View for 183 thats insane. So the Tower Studio(123) is already not many rooms and sounds like its hard to book at 11 months and so are Standard Views Deluxe Studios then Riviera sounds like a bad place to buy into if you want A Studio then. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So are the Standard View Deluxe Studios really going to be hard to get into at 11 months? For 2021 a Week in June11-Aug15th in a Standard Studio is 146 points. Okay So on par with BLT Standard View(132) and BLT Lake View(148). But if Riviera doesn't have many Standard View Studios and I have to jump up to a Preferred View for 183 thats insane. So the Tower Studio(123) is already not many rooms and sounds like its hard to book at 11 months and so are Standard Views Deluxe Studios then Riviera sounds like a bad place to buy into if you want A Studio then. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think Riviera is one of the better resorts to own at for studios as the resort is well balanced between all room categories: it doesnt have an undersupply like CCV, isn't small like VGF, and hasn't sold any points attributable to bungalows.

You absolutely need to own for a shot at the standard views though, and yes, I agree that the point chart for preferred rooms is too high. But I would rather attempt a standard view for the fall and book a preferred if I can't get it vs trying to get a studio at CCV and then having to wait until 7 months because the studios are walked at 11 months.

I think Riviera is one of the better resorts to own at for studios as the resort is well balanced between all room categories: it doesnt have an undersupply like CCV, isn't small like VGF, and hasn't sold any points attributable to bungalows.

You absolutely need to own for a shot at the standard views though, and yes, I agree that the point chart for preferred rooms is too high. But I would rather attempt a standard view for the fall and book a preferred if I can't get it vs trying to get a studio at CCV and then having to wait until 7 months because the studios are walked at 11 months.
Wow really? Hmm thats great News. Thats what I'm trying to Decide. Where to buy my 100 Direct Points at. We like Riviera but the point costs on Preferred are too high and I just don't think its a great Value for Preferred, Id rather wait till 7 months and roll the dice and if we have to stay at OKW or SSR I'm more okay with that than blowing 183s for a week at RIV. Tower Studios for just the 2 of us and a crib could work for a few years and Standard View Studios isn't crazy so thats good too. Or we might buy 100 points at Saratoga as we like being close to Disney Springs also and its cheaper. I just didn't want to buy into Riviera if its going to be like I hear Copper Creek is with Studios where its hard even at 11 months all times of year.

I agree Riviera is balanced (similar room structure as BLT). Though just to note CCV rooms are really only walked (similar to many other categories that seemed to be doing it this year) for bookings in mid-October through December and race weekends. Also the walking of CCV rooms is less so compared to other resorts/categories where walking is occurring, in that each morning at the 11 month window there is at least 1 room open (unlike BWV standard, BLT standard, AKV Value/Club). But I do caution anyone wanting to buy studios at CCV you should always be ready at 11 months just in case but availability sticks around for a bit.

Advantage of Riviera to CCV/BLT is that the preferred studio will sleep 5 and have 3 real sleep surfaces. CCV requires a 2 bed to get that and BLT a 1 bed. So that will increase studio competition a bit more at Riviera say to BLT.

I agree Riviera is balanced (similar room structure as BLT). However the bolded isn't true for the times the OP is considering booking a room. CCV rooms are really only walked (similar to many other categories that seemed to be doing it this year) for bookings in mid-October to first 2 weeks of December and race weekends. Also the walking of CCV rooms is less so compared to other resorts/categories where walking is occurring, in that each morning at the 11 month window there is at least 1 room open (unlike BWV standard, BLT standard, AKV Value/Club). But I do caution anyone wanting to buy studios at CCV you should always be ready at 11 months just in case but availability sticks around for a bit.

So you think CCV is okay for a studio at 11 months in June/July? Riviera is kind of unpredictable right now too.

So you think CCV is okay for a studio at 11 months in June/July? Riviera is kind of unpredictable right now too.
I don't want to hijack this thread as Riviera is a great resort and availability so far doesn't scream issue (however, we haven't seen what the true picture is at all). I expect it to behave similar to BLT if you consider room mix; however, Riviera does have the added difference in 5 in a Studio and larger rooms that BLT does not have. CCV is tight in the summer compared to some other resorts but for instance June 14th to June 21st CCV had a room available for all 7 days at 11 months for 8 days (I know this cause I've been monitoring CCV and Riviera availability). As an owner of CCV I wanted to follow and I want to add a small Riviera contract for F&W bookings so I've been tracking both.

Also if you go the same time each year or could swing that consider a Fixed Week in the summer you could guarantee that Standard Studio at Riviera year after year. You can cancel the Fixed Week and still go other times without penalty. Both resorts have many differences I will say Summer is when you are most likely able to exchange between resorts currently too. So Riviera direct gives you that choice which CCV resale won't let you get into Riviera.

Keep your Bay Lake Tower. Though the restaurant choices aren't very strong the location is amazing and the rooms are great. We own in SSR and have stayed in BLT 3 times and love it. Good luck on the new one. Sounds really nice!

They were still available about that time this year when I bought at end of a October.

I do not think that SV studios will be that difficult during the summer months at 11 months for quite awhile... until the resort becomes closer to sold out, I don’t think we will know. But, places like Poly...whose point charts are similar, don’t sell out for summer at 11 months.

I booked one in September for nights at 9 months out,

I don't want to hijack this thread as Riviera is a great resort and availability so far doesn't scream issue (however, we haven't seen what the true picture is at all). I expect it to behave similar to BLT if you consider room mix; however, Riviera does have the added difference in 5 in a Studio and larger rooms that BLT does not have. CCV is tight in the summer compared to some other resorts but for instance June 14th to June 21st CCV had a room available for all 7 days at 11 months for 8 days (I know this cause I've been monitoring CCV and Riviera availability). As an owner of CCV I wanted to follow and I want to add a small Riviera contract for F&W bookings so I've been tracking both.

Also if you go the same time each year or could swing that consider a Fixed Week in the summer you could guarantee that Standard Studio at Riviera year after year. You can cancel the Fixed Week and still go other times without penalty. Both resorts have many differences I will say Summer is when you are most likely able to exchange between resorts currently too. So Riviera direct gives you that choice which CCV resale won't let you get into Riviera.
I'm not sure I'd like to do a fixed week. We like 2 get 2 summer trips out of our annual passes so 1 trip in July then 1 in June before our AP's expire. But that isn't a bad idea. I really wish there was a way for non members to see availability. Are you easily able to tell whats available from June 5-11 this year? Maybe if you can save it as a PDF an email me it? Only if its easy I don't want to take up your time or anything. We are looking to buy direct and use this summer for those dates and I'm really wondering whats available anywhere in a studio.

I'm not sure I'd like to do a fixed week. We like 2 get 2 summer trips out of our annual passes so 1 trip in July then 1 in June before our AP's expire. But that isn't a bad idea. I really wish there was a way for non members to see availability. Are you easily able to tell whats available from June 5-11 this year? Maybe if you can save it as a PDF an email me it? Only if its easy I don't want to take up your time or anything. We are looking to buy direct and use this summer for those dates and I'm really wondering whats available anywhere in a studio.
Realize that a fixed week is the biggest misnomer in DVC. It is not fixed at all, it is a guaranteed reservation.

You can tell next to nothing about availability so far. For 1, its new, so there will be a lot of people trying to switch in for that reason alone. 2. I am pulling numbers out of air here to make my point, but say it is 10% sold, but 25% declared. You need to gauge it when its 95%+ sold and 95+% declared. If it is 25 percent declared, that means, in essence, 1/4 of the rooms are available to be booked on on given night, but if only 10% sold, there are only enough members to get at 40% of those rooms at 11 months, meaning there is a lot that can be open.

Looking at June this year, or anytime within the 7 month window of a new resort would not give you an accurate picture at all

Unfortunately the Board rules don't allow me to tell you what is available June 5-11. Though my guess would be not too much in studios anywhere simply because we are less than 5 months out from the date.

Though if you want to buy direct you get a "Welcome Home" visit which is where for new DVC members buying direct (can't hold any other contract resale or direct) they will try and pull rooms from the cash side (DVC rooms Disney booked with its points) to get you a short notice stay for your first visit. You can make it conditional on your sale that they get you in a room (you have 10 days to cancel the sale and the reservation can be made likely same day if not next day after signing the papers). Then the following year you book at 11 months.

Unfortunately the Board rules don't allow me to tell you what is available June 5-11. Though my guess would be not too much in studios anywhere simply because we are less than 5 months out from the date.

Though if you want to buy direct you get a "Welcome Home" visit which is where for new DVC members buying direct (can't hold any other contract resale or direct) they will try and pull rooms from the cash side (DVC rooms Disney booked with its points) to get you a short notice stay for your first visit. You can make it conditional on your sale that they get you in a room (you have 10 days to cancel the sale and the reservation can be made likely same day if not next day after signing the papers). Then the following year you book at 11 months.
Ahh okay sorry about that Did not know about those rules. Sorry I'm new to DVC. Every day I'm on these boards I learn something new since everyone is so eager to help everyone else :) Hmm our agent hasn't mentioned any welcome offer. I'm asking him now about Riviera Availability for june 5-11th and he said the whole place is booked up for those dates.

Ahh okay sorry about that Did not know about those rules. Sorry I'm new to DVC. Every day I'm on these boards I learn something new since everyone is so eager to help everyone else :) Hmm our agent hasn't mentioned any welcome offer. I'm asking him now about Riviera Availability for june 5-11th and he said the whole place is booked up for those dates.
I would specifically ask about a "Welcome Home" booking for those dates. It is possible the cash side is sold out as well for Riviera (though CRO is showing Tower Studios and Preferred Studios). But I would specifically ask about a selection of other resorts you would consider; it's a good chance to try out one of the other resorts, and I would ask about the harder places to stay (BCV, VGF, CCV, etc) could be a chance to get one resort off the bucket list.

It is something that is definitely offered, the "Welcome Home" booking, and documented and he should know about it. If he doesn't he might be newer and need to speak to his supervisor to learn about it. Since you are within 7 months the "Welcome Home" booking does not need to be at Riviera. They will try to get from your preferred list for you but no guarantees what the Cash Side will allow them to take back.

Just to give more information about why we don’t allow availability. It changes constantly and as soon as one says someone thing is there, it could be gone, It works the other way around,l,something gone right now could be there in an hour,

When I just ended up adjusting my late March trip by picking up 3 nights at RIV in a 1 bedroom on Tuesday, I also had to adjust my first night on to AKV... one of my least favorite resorts. But willing to in order to get a RIV.

Well, since then, I stalked the website constantly and during my 4th time checking today, a BWV SV studio popped up!

As mentioned, definitely tell your guide you are hoping to get RIV for June if you buy through the Welcome Home program.

Your guide may be willing/able to get you a room for those dates in order to complete the sale.
My guide was a phone only guide and not particularly good.

And as others have said, board rules prevent posting about availability, but ANY brand spanking new resort is going to be tough to get at 5 months out. There are hundreds of thousands of DVC members, and even those with no interest in buying DRR may want to stay there. A new resort is going to get a lot of people trying to switch in at the 7 month mark.

Thanks everyone so much for the Advice :) :) I really appreciate all the tips. This board is such a great place to learn about DVC.

One caution on the Welcome Home booking, make sure you book that before booking anything else as a DVC member. The Welcome Home must be your first visit/first booking. We found that out the hard way, thought we were being proactive booking one short trip online then calling for a WH trip and getting shot down.

Can't speak to the accuracy of this third party tool but you can supposedly check availability here:

Edit - the link isn't allowed apparently but if you search google for "DVC Availability Tool" it should be the first hit.

Last edited:
One caution on the Welcome Home booking, make sure you book that before booking anything else as a DVC member. The Welcome Home must be your first visit/first booking. We found that out the hard way, thought we were being proactive booking one short trip online then calling for a WH trip and getting shot down.

Can't speak to the accuracy of this third party tool but you can supposedly check availability here:

Edit - the link isn't allowed apparently but if you search google for "DVC Availability Tool" it should be the first hit.
Thanks!!! That worked great! I mean its not teh most accurate since it uses 3 color codes but way better than going in blind! :)

Love the location of both BCV and BWV and the vibe I get from being there, but the rooms are nothing special and certainly don't make me think I am in a deluxe room.

Own BCV and stay a lot at BWV and totally agree with you. Love them but certainly not worth rack rate in the least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter