A Girl's First Solo Trip - August 2018 *updated 10/9 x2 and COMPLETED!*

August 6th - Star Wars Launch Bay!

Well, we've done it, reached the last full day! I woke up around 9:30 and did not want to move. Two late nights had taken a toll on me. I went to the food court and grabbed a chocolate croissant. I ate a bite of it before I remembered my duty as a Dis-er to take photos of my food.
47956690636_cdccece294_c.jpg

In my defense, they’re really delicious!

I got ready and made it to the bus stop around 10:50, and a Hollywood Studios bus was already there! I was the last one on - talk about good luck! Plus, the driver was really friendly and talked to me the whole way there.
47956654912_dbfd66a824_c.jpg

It was the end of my time period to use my Tower of Terror FP (seems to be a theme with me) so I headed off there first.
47991489386_2f9248ecf1_c.jpg

47991441868_d21bb23c5b_c.jpg

You’ll never guess who came along with me to the parks this day.
47956695251_2cb1b66e44_c.jpg

Yes, Porridge the Porg! He’d been chilling in the room the whole trip and today I decided to let him see the parks. You can also see the super cute ears Samira made for me with porgs on them!

Look at that gorgeous tower. The standby time was posted at 95 minutes!
47956698271_f98da4190c_c.jpg

47956656302_471807b0ab_c.jpg

In addition to the standby being 95 minutes, they were saying the FP was 30 minutes! Apparently one of the sides was down. Anyway, I tapped my band at the first touch point but when I got into the queue and saw that the FP line went straight into the garden, rather than right by the fountain I decided to bail. Remember this detail: it dwould cause a huge headache for me later… Anyway, instead of ridin Tower, the Porg and I took some photos in front of the Tower!
32483561797_268c0dd5cd_c.jpg

33549511368_c07272d5fe_c.jpg

32483562757_11133fb7ff_c.jpg

It was time for caffeine so I headed to Starbucks… where they only had one side open.
47991439587_e55b2320c8_c.jpg

I spotted a streetcar photo on the walls in Trolley Car Cafe! I’m a huuuuge streetcar/trolley fan.
47991441633_c17ae9e87d_c.jpg

And here’s my usual iced vanilla latte.
47956665663_829306c7e3_c.jpg

So when the lines are too long, what do you do? Well, I go to Launch Bay and meet Chewbacca!
47991489746_a8a0ecb7f5_c.jpg

The Stormtroopers are so much fun, I love their menacing presence.
47956667203_cda64b73ba_c.jpg

I’m not sure the Porg feels the same way about them, however…
47956697576_9b341d1919_c.jpg

I jumped in a line for Chewie - always easier to tolerate since it’s out of the sun and air-conditioned. In the line I helped a family make the Magic Band smaller for one of their kids and they were so grateful! They had no idea the outer part could peel off. I hesitated mentioned it to them because I wouldn’t want to seem like a know-it-all.

Chewie immediately gave me a big, extra furry hug.
33549548608_6033f6496a_c.jpg

Like, so furry that I definitely had to pick Chewie hairs out of my mouth. A bit gross, really!
32483562237_d818c84876_c.jpg

This time Chewie had come to the realization that Porgs are friends, not food, and he was very gentle with Porridge.
46510341255_ee8c73699e_c.jpg

47372609672_927db8ba1d_c.jpg

47425454631_13a738850c_c.jpg

I love how I have in-depth conversations with characters that don’t even speak English back at me! Must be years of practice having conversations with my cats…
47425462601_8d13990876_c.jpg

Look at him being so nice to the Porg!
46702320704_6f9950e3e0_c.jpg

40459760723_46a068343b_c.jpg

To say goodbye, I got another face full of fur. Thanks Chewie!
47425455801_f89e99b000_c.jpg

I thought about heading out of Launch Bay, but I still had a decent amount of time before my Sci-Fi ADR so I opted to meet Kylo Ren. He can be a bit of an awkward meet and they get mad if you try to touch him -- or at least they have scolded me before!

This meet was less awkward than usual. Kylo tried really hard to intimidate me and it more or less worked… I’m pretty easily intimidated, honestly.
47425453161_dda82ff298_c.jpg

32483561637_2553ab2203_c.jpg

It looks like he’s trying to choke me. I’m smiling, but I promise it’s just smiling through the fear!
40459757813_96eecab8e4_c.jpg

Thank goodness I had Porridge for comfort.
46510318985_8672c3e8e3_c.jpg

Trying to be intimidating like Kylo…. And failing.
47425462101_0f43058a8d_c.jpg

Kylo is fun and all, but I want to meet Darth Vader! He’s just much more impressive. I’d also really like to meet Luke Skywalker. WHY did I never do Star Wars days?

Up next:
more character meets and Sci-Fi!

Last edited:
Hi Karamie!

I’m all caught up, I love your pictures with the Porg and at Launch Bay!
I’m with you, I want to meet Darth Vader so bad, curse me for not doing it the million times I could have when he met! He even met for the Visa greeting for awhile back in the day!

August is hot isn’t it! This recent trip was full on hot sun all day every day, wow that gets to a person!

I came back to the 50’s at night and it felt so cold, haha!

Hi Karamie!

I’m all caught up, I love your pictures with the Porg and at Launch Bay!
I’m with you, I want to meet Darth Vader so bad, curse me for not doing it the million times I could have when he met! He even met for the Visa greeting for awhile back in the day!

August is hot isn’t it! This recent trip was full on hot sun all day every day, wow that gets to a person!

I came back to the 50’s at night and it felt so cold, haha!

And back from your vacation!!

Curse us both, why didn't we meet him?

The August sun is so exhausting! But did make me sort of slow down a bit more than I might usually.

I know! He's scary!

August 6th - The Best Character Meet!

After meeting some characters I still had some time before my lunch ADR, but I made my way to the Sci-Fi area anyway.
47956667073_5e725685ac_c.jpg

47956701891_2d9bf07989_c.jpg

47956655362_a740f52639_c.jpg

Oooh Star Wars Land! Will I ever call it by its proper name? Unlikely.
47956698596_fed0750bfd_c.jpg

Goofy was meeting in that area and it still wasn’t time for lunch, so why not? I’ve gotta say his M&G spot is in a HORRIBLE area. It’s always directly in the sun, he’s got to be just miserable. But regardless, he was on his best behavior and gave me a big hug!
32483584487_7b1888b946_c.jpg

He told me that Max was at a Powerline concert and I told him he should go meet up with him for some father-son bonding! He knows the importance of a good relationship with his son! Goofy was such a gentleman!
46702321494_525673e6e3_c.jpg

47372640562_14f14748b4_c.jpg

33549511428_0e0745d444_c.jpg

After another great meet I checked in for Sci-Fi and was seated within 5 minutes. I got a little welcome back card since Dad and I had been to Sci-Fi in June. That was a really thoughtful touch! Also pretty sure that I got the same car Dad and I had been seated in!
47956697336_acdd39bf93_c.jpg

The lights on the cars actually made for some great selfie lighting, just FYI!
47956682932_155d73eddb_c.jpg

I ordered the same thing I got in June. My burger was good, but didn’t impress me as much as it did in June. Still, it’s nice to be in a dark, air-conditioned place. I’d book Sci-Fi again for that factor alone. Such a great way to recharge from the heat.
47956727386_6594b2decc_c.jpg

Drive-in BBQ Burger - Our Signature Blend of Beef, BBQ Spice, Brioche Bun, House-made BBQ Sauce, Bacon, and Cheddar topped with an Onion Ring and Crispy-fried Jalapeños

Feeling much more energized after my lunch I got in line to meet Chip and Dale. The queue was a bit shaded, so that was a plus from Goofy’s! It was looking like rain and I was worried I might get rained out.
47956728181_3c4e3148f1_c.jpg

My worries were unfounded, though! I’m not sure who I’m hugging here, but my guess is Dale. I told Dale that my middle name is Dayle and he was ecstatic!
33549548528_4654669a1d_c.jpg

Dale shooed Chip away (who then sat sadly on the wall by himself) and Dale insisted that we have a photoshoot.
40459762463_23ef7e6b7d_c.jpg

40459760183_dd5e8eab2c_c.jpg

I felt bad for Chip so I had to bring him back over.
40459757253_184709e434_c.jpg

Chip was happy to be back in the fold!
40459760803_bfeb7311a1_c.jpg

40459787753_3c1f503d65_c.jpg

Then I accidentally called Dale Chip and he was very offended. Of course Chip found that hilarious.
46702320684_bf700cc154_c.jpg

Dale forgave me though, and we ran off together, waving goodbye to poor forgotten Chip!
46510342215_9732862c62_c.jpg

33549512898_c417c34260_c.jpg

46510340095_9790187bd8_c.jpg

Bye, Chip! This is the Dale and Dayle show now!
32483564697_863bc29e23_c.jpg

It was hands down one of the best character interactions I’ve ever had. It felt like they spent forever with me, and they were so energetic and played off each other well. I don’t know why I’d never taken the time to meet those crazy chipmunks before June!

Up next:
More Toy Story Land!

Last edited:

Seeing Space Mountain with the lights on always reminds me when my parents let me go off on my own and ride it by myself when I was a preteen, while they watched the fireworks. So I waited in the line and got the front seat on the car, had a grand ol' time. And then the ride stopped, and the lights came on! We sat there for quite a while, at the top of the coaster, until a CM came and manually pushed the car down the hill. We then kind of coasted into the station, and we did get to ride again immediately after, somehow. Luckily, I've never been an easily frightened person or that could have been kind of scary for a kid riding alone for the first time!

What a fun memory!

I walked right on Small World instead, where I had a boat all to myself! I’m one of those weirdos who really enjoys the song.

I'm a weirdo too…I love IASW :love:

Look at him being so nice to the Porg!
46702320704_6f9950e3e0_c.jpg

So cute ::yes::

It was hands down one of the best character interactions I’ve ever had. It felt like they spent forever with me, and they were so energetic and played off each other well. I don’t know why I’d never taken the time to meet those crazy chipmunks before June!

What a fun meet!

Goofy was meeting in that area and it still wasn’t time for lunch, so why not? I’ve gotta say his M&G spot is in a HORRIBLE area. It’s always directly in the sun, he’s got to be just miserable. But regardless, he was on his best behavior and gave me a big hug!
Sweet!
Feeling much more energized after my lunch I got in line to meet Chip and Dale. The queue was a bit shaded, so that was a plus from Goofy’s! It was looking like rain and I was worried I might get rained out.
I love that Chip and Dale meet! When I met them in March I laughed until I cried at their antics!
Then I accidentally called Dale Chip and he was very offended. Of course Chip found that hilarious.
The best!
Love this!! So, so fun with awesome pictures and memories!

Wait! What happened to Porridge the Porg? He did not get to meet Goofy and Chip and Dale? Did he eat too much at lunch and needed a nap?
🛌 😴

Ok, after having spent my morning going through your trip report, I have a bunch of reactions to share with you.

Kara, your report made me laugh and in a good way. You definitely enjoy the exclamation point. How wonderful that Pop was the first stop on the bus ride into the Disney bubble. I loved the location of the room - and what a view! See, I can use an exclamation point too 😉

That was crazy how many times you had back to back rides on Tower of Terror. You are a pro at modifying a FastPass+. You are right up there with Master Yoda.

Your interaction with Timon was great. I love the effort you put in to interact with the characters. It makes the meet and greets more enjoyable.

Seeing all of the pictures of Animal Kingdom make me yearn for Animal Kingdom. At least I don't have much more to wait. I'm less than 2 months away.

What!?! A Malva Cake Sundae? They really do want all of my money, don't they?

I'm going to have to write down on my plans to get the Rum Blossom cocktail. That is right up my alley and is a great tip.

Riding Splash Mountain in a log all by yourself is fantastic - life goal. There is only one after hours event happening in my upcoming trip and it is at Animal Kingdom. If I book it, it will be while I'm down there. I need to see how the money situation is. I mean, I'm going during Food and Wine Festival and I wouldn't be surprised if my cocktails are doubles and that gets pricey.

Another good laugh was Porridge and his picture with the storm troopers.

I love how you made the solo trip seem so effortless. Actually, you had the best of both worlds. You got to come and go as you please and also enjoyed some camaraderie with the message board mates. Thanks for sharing your journey 😊

Unfortunately I rode with a lady who took nonstop flash photos. How aggravating!

That's where I'd insert a well-timed "Turn off your flash!!" I've done it, and will likely have to do it again!

Gorgeous!

You are one focused woman! :laughing:

Plus the music on the Pop Century buses is annoying! Who wants to listen to the Slinky jingle?! Port Orleans has peaceful bayou sounds and Pop gets the Slinky jingle. Geez.

LOL!! I never noticed, but sure agree, now that you mention it.

(yes I did really rant about those things in my notes, so I felt the need to include it here! Sometimes when you’re solo you gotta get your feelings out somewhere!)
It's what TRs are for!

The meets looks so enjoyable!

We love the atmosphere at Sci-fi!

Chip and Dale how cute!

I had such a great day meeting characters by myself.

The atmosphere is just perfect! And the food has been pretty dependable for me!

Aren't they just the cutest?

What a fun memory!

one of my favorites! I just can't remember if it was Disneyland or Disney World :scratchin

I'm a weirdo too…I love IASW :love:

I think we just have exceptional taste!

He's the best wookiee!

What a fun meet!

Probably one of my all time favorite meets!

What an adorable character meet!!!!

It definitely made me very happy!

I love that Chip and Dale meet! When I met them in March I laughed until I cried at their antics!

That's amazing, I'd love to see video of that interaction!

The best!

Can't believe I mixed them up! They definitely don't like that!

Love this!! So, so fun with awesome pictures and memories!

I'm really pleased with the PhotoPass pics, no picture box could do this!

Wait! What happened to Porridge the Porg? He did not get to meet Goofy and Chip and Dale? Did he eat too much at lunch and needed a nap?
🛌 😴

He was napping in my purse, I wanted all the attention!

Ok, after having spent my morning going through your trip report, I have a bunch of reactions to share with you.

Kara, your report made me laugh and in a good way. You definitely enjoy the exclamation point. How wonderful that Pop was the first stop on the bus ride into the Disney bubble. I loved the location of the room - and what a view! See, I can use an exclamation point too 😉

That was crazy how many times you had back to back rides on Tower of Terror. You are a pro at modifying a FastPass+. You are right up there with Master Yoda.

Your interaction with Timon was great. I love the effort you put in to interact with the characters. It makes the meet and greets more enjoyable.

Seeing all of the pictures of Animal Kingdom make me yearn for Animal Kingdom. At least I don't have much more to wait. I'm less than 2 months away.

What!?! A Malva Cake Sundae? They really do want all of my money, don't they?

I'm going to have to write down on my plans to get the Rum Blossom cocktail. That is right up my alley and is a great tip.

Riding Splash Mountain in a log all by yourself is fantastic - life goal. There is only one after hours event happening in my upcoming trip and it is at Animal Kingdom. If I book it, it will be while I'm down there. I need to see how the money situation is. I mean, I'm going during Food and Wine Festival and I wouldn't be surprised if my cocktails are doubles and that gets pricey.

Another good laugh was Porridge and his picture with the storm troopers.

I love how you made the solo trip seem so effortless. Actually, you had the best of both worlds. You got to come and go as you please and also enjoyed some camaraderie with the message board mates. Thanks for sharing your journey 😊

Thanks for reading the whole thing, that's quite the time commitment!

That's funny you mention the exclamation point thing, because I always feel like I use it too much, but then how else can I express my excitement?? But yes, my Pop room was just perfect and I would definitely recommend the location!!! (long live the exclamation points!)

It was great to be able to ride my favorite ride over and over, and kind of fun to see how well I can utilize FP+.

Aww thanks! Timon is a great meet, he's always quite cheeky so it makes it easy to interact. I'm really bad at interactions with face characters, particularly the princesses, because they intimidate me!

Ohhh 2 months until Disney! You'll be there in no time. Where are you staying? Do you think you'll write a TR?

The sundae was unique, definitely worth the try. And of course they want all your money, it's Disney, after all!

Hope you enjoy the Rum Blossom, it's a little sweet but not overbearing. Although, I think they might have changed the drinks at Pongu Pongu...

Hope you get to ride Splash by yourself someday! As far as After Hours goes I definitely prefer After Hours at MK, there's just more to do. But there is something pretty special about AK at night, and wandering around with no crowds is super enjoyable. Ooooh yeah the Food & Wine stuff will add up... but so worth it!

Doesn't Porridge look properly terrified of him? His poor dumb face...

DIsney does make solo trips pretty effortless and not scary at all. I'd recommend it to anyone. Thanks again for taking the time to read the whole thing(!!!!!).

That's where I'd insert a well-timed "Turn off your flash!!" I've done it, and will likely have to do it again!

I definitely have too (might have even this time) but a lot of the time they just choose to ignore me.

Gorgeous!

I agree, it was fun to see the projections from that angle.

You are one focused woman! :laughing:

You know it, don't mess with me!! :rotfl2:

LOL!! I never noticed, but sure agree, now that you mention it.

Thank you! Hope Disney sees this and adjusts the music on the Pop buses accordingly!

It's what TRs are for!

Indeed! And everyone here just gets it!

August 6th - Toy Story Land!

After an amazing meet with Chip and Dale it was time to head over to Toy Story Land (side note: I always think this isn’t the real name and I’m forgetting to use the real name… ya know sorta like Star Wars Land/Galaxy’s Edge). I had a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers to use! It was still looking pretty rainy…
47956727021_0e30ec0323_c.jpg

47991489711_8a629cd87c_c.jpg

47956697088_80737961b2_c.jpg

47991441518_bf4a08dc7c_c.jpg

I did feel a few sprinkles, but I was able to tap my band at the touch points before it really started. Whew, safe!
47991438707_f9c79125a7_c.jpg

47991442143_924cda0f53_c.jpg

It’s really no Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.
47991442083_34b002f69b_c.jpg

But it’s cute enough.
47956685537_35b0181a0f_c.jpg

And here’s my trusty steed!
47956727826_2a729a89f6_c.jpg

47956683772_7730afb9b5_c.jpg

47956727881_cc856522a3_c.jpg

This is super cute.
47956727721_c30c25718a_c.jpg

I felt a little lucky that the downpour started while I was on the ride. Which, btw, just isn’t as fun as Junkyard Jamboree. Somehow the track felt rougher, even though it’s newer, and without Mater’s ridiculous songs it’s just not as high-energy. Still cute, but not a must-do for me.
47956685577_689125ec31_c.jpg

So remember I said I felt lucky that I hadn’t been caught out in the downpour… but then I felt unlucky because the exit of Swirling Saucers is immediately uncovered. Like it’s the track to the ride, open the gate and uncovered. Luckily, the CMs were super understanding about letting guests throw on their ponchos before exiting. I was a bit worried since it would slow the loading process for the ride. It was POURING so I booked it to the bathroom across the way. People were just gathering at the entrance… so I sat in one of the many empty stalls. Pro tip? TMI?
47956734356_296a37f8d7_c.jpg

It was just a short Florida afternoon shower and soon I was off to my 3:10 FP at Star Tours!
47991497466_bb7392cf6a_c.jpg

47991447057_458fde713c_c.jpg

The rain sure did nothing to thin the crowds!
47991498026_2dbf0fb190_c.jpg

47991449938_7b02a06d1d_c.jpg

Thanks for protecting me from the rain! You’re a good bathroom.
47991497906_6ba64ca8ca_c.jpg

47991450003_2e8969b514_c.jpg

On the way out of Toy Story Land I got a good look at Andy’s footprint!
47991447822_8febf91373_c.jpg

Also noticed these toy soldiers for the first time.
47991498001_019ab15993_c.jpg

Woody’s Lunchbox is an actual lunchbox. Ahhh too cute!
47991450168_0f8e75d09d_c.jpg

47991498106_e757cc738c_c.jpg

47991447457_a02130de82_c.jpg

It’s also really fun that Toy Story Land regularly has toy soldiers walking around. Really adds to the interactivity.
47991450183_606f35a814_c.jpg

47991455133_ec41a64cbb_c.jpg

47991452932_2962ebf94d_c.jpg

47991455498_aaee9877aa_c.jpg

47991452762_acd43521c3_c.jpg

47956736706_0756f4c850_c.jpg

Ok, after admiring every single detail I really exited the land.

Up next:
things go downhill....

Last edited:
I agree on your assessment of AS2, it is rough especially when you switch tracks, I do like the music and the aliens are very cute!

Good picture of Andy’s footprint!

Glad to see Porridge found his way back to the parks!!

Cute pics with Chewie and Chip & Dale!! You had a lot of great character meets this day!

LOL when all else fails, hide out from the rain in a bathroom stall!

That picture you got of SDD through the Christmas lights? Really wonderful shot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts