A good time to go.

AshlandDad

Earning My Ears
We've been thinking about a disney trip for about 3 years, and have now decided to make it happen. Because of school schedules, we have chosen 1/31/02 through 2/10/02. We'll spend 4 days and 5 nights at disney, and the rest of the time touring Floriday. BUT, I'm concerned about some things...

1. How can we expect the weather to be? I know it won't be real hot (that's OK because we'll be leaving a Wisconsin winter for 10 days), but will it be warm enough to swim? We're not too worried about the water parks, but we do want to swim at the hotel and in the ocean.
2. Are we likely to get good airfares during that time?
3. Are we likely to get good hotel discounts?
4. How crowded will the parks be?
5. Do most tourist attractions outside of Orlando tend to be open? We're thinking of Kennedy Space Center, Everglades airboat tours, and that sort of thing.

My hunch is that the answers to the last four questions will be "yes", "yes", "not very", and "yes". I am pretty worried about the weather, though.

So...would you go at this time of year, or would you wait until October or so?

Hi there neighbor (sorta?)....on our last trip we went the 2nd week of January 2001. It was unusally cool for Florida while we were there, about 55-60 for most of the week and it then warmed up to about 70-75. Like you said compared to a Wisconsin winter it was nothing, we wore sweatshirts and were fine. On the days when it was 70 we did go swimming (the pools were heated) and we were not alone. Like I said though, we were told it was unusual for it to be that cold there, the week after we got home it was back into the high 70's, so I think you'll be ok weather-wise. As for question number 2, where would you be flying out of?? If you would be leaving from Milwaukee there are good rates through Midwest Express, I would watch their site (I just looked up your dates and its $312 round trip, direct flight from Milw to Orlando, but I've seen it go as low as $240)....they also offer a lot of packages(through Midwest Express vacations)at reasonable prices for off site hotels. If you're staying on site, you can check these boards to see when different rates are offered (Annual Pass etc...). #5 Yes, I'm sure all of the "other attractions will be open too" Hope this helps a little...

Thanks for the response. We would actually be flying from Minneapolis. Fares are currently $198. I saw them for as little as $100 about a month ago. That might have been a fluke. But I have seen them for around $150 fairly often. Don't know if I should expect to see that again for late January/early February?

We've flown Sun Country Airlines out of Minneapolis and Milwaukee to Orlando. Not too fancy, but they were on time and didn't lose our luggage!

Go Badgers!

ashland dad-january and feb are my faorite times to go!i usually wear a flannel shirt or sweat shirt with a t under it.if you layer like this you will be comfortable no matter what arrizes.there have been nights when i have donned a coat for the parade but being from wi you probably will feel quite toasty. the pools are all heated.its the geting out of the water part you might find particularly refreshing. the first year i moved to flfrom buffalo i swam outside in an unheated pool all winter long!cant help with the airfares sinse i am a floridian now there will most likely be great discounts on resorts as long as youre not heading into presidents weekend check mary warings siteat www.mousesavers.com she will have the discount codes as soon as they are released.also make sure you spend some time on the resorts board here at the dis.as for whether it will be crowdwd, disneys like a box of chocolates, you never know what youre gonna get.been there in jan/feb when we walked on to everything and also been there when its been a bit tight. good luck and keep us posted on your trip plans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter