A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Seems like we keep adding to the list. So many places, so little time!

::yes::

I hadn't seen any until the Rocky Mountains 2 years ago. Now they seem to be popping up regularly. Go figure.

Now you're in the secret bighorn sheep club.

I wouldn't suggest hiking in during the evening bat flight, though.

I don't have enough hair for the bats to get caught in. I'm immune.

Thanks! If you don't get down that way, I also recommend Luray Caverns in Virginia (near Shenandoah National Park). Really amazing formations in there.

Thanks for the tip! Can I use you (serious question) as a resource when planning my next road trip?

I'll be honest. When I looked up the depth of the snack bar, it had both units listed, so I just went with it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue, either.

I was just talking to someone who mentioned something in feet... and then tried to convert to meters.
Which is funny because when someone tells me meters, I automatically think yards and compare it to football.

I'm impressed! I thought the Prada would be fairly obscure.

I just stumbled on it one day. An article, I mean. I haven't been.

True. I need more to distract the crowds, though.

Cage some squirrels. Release as necessary.

Sorry. If they'd had poutine on the menu, I would have asked about that.

Now you're talking my language.

Sorry to disappoint. But then again, that's what I do.

Truer words were never spoken.

Well, there's a lot going on in the Oblivious household. Julie is now officially a 4th grade teacher, full-time!

Congrats!

As the 4th grade social studies teacher, she will be instructing the kids on...

...U.S. geography and the various 50 states. I think we can call her a subject-matter expert.

Perfect!! Drawing on the wealth of experience will be beneficial to her and the kids.

We are also leaving on our Deep South road trip at the same time!

Julie gets new job. First thing she does is take a vacation.

As soon as we get back, she's going to have less than a week to set up her classroom and be ready to start the school year.

Ah. Okay, so not quite at the same time.

What are your favorite movies?

What are your favorite books?

Where do you want to travel that you haven't seen yet?

What's the best prank you ever pulled/witnessed?

If money was no object, what would be your vehicle of choice?

When are you going to be anywhere near Delaware?

Will you stop reading these TR's once we finish off the 50-state quest?

What have we missed in our travels that made you smack your head in disbelief? And, in the words of Jack from LOST, do "we need to go back"?

What's your favorite thing about Disney parks?

Oh, man...

Fave movie. Can't pick one. Growing up it was Close Encounters. Now? Can't narrow it down.

Fave book. Another tough one, but I will at least say my favourite author is Larry Niven and I have read Ringworld and World out of Time at least half a dozen times each. Then again, growing up, I've read Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Heinlein at least a dozen times.

Travel. Good Lord man. The world's too big. So.... I will do like an old family friend did and take a year and go all the way around it. Key spots would be Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Russia, Hong Kong, Japan. (Although I have seen a bit of Italy already.)

Best prank.... hmmm.... one that comes to mind.
Our company had received a prestigious international award and to celebrate, everyone got a plaque. One girl, who had been away on vacation during all this came to work and found this plaque in her mail slot.
"What's this?" She asked.
I didn't even hesitate. "What have you got there, Laura?"
"I don't know. It's some kind of award."
"Really! What did you get that for?"
"I don't know."
"Wow!" I said. "You should run upstairs to the administration offices and ask them."
So she did.
10 minutes later she came down.
"They said everyone got them."
Me: "Oh that's right. We did."

Best one that I ever saw.... I can't say on a family board.

Vehicle.... hmmm.... probably a Lambo. The Veneno Roadster.
But... since you said money is no object....

McLaren P1 LM

Near Delaware? I don't know. Probably November. Washington close enough?
Otherwise, probably not until 2018 or 2019.

Stop reading?
Well, no. You have to redo the States you missed with Drew, don't you?

Favourite thing about the parks.
Interesting question.

Freedom. When I'm in Disney, I don't have to worry. I have freedom from fighting the rush hour traffic. I don't even have to drive at all. I don't cook. I don't clean. I don't worry about personal security. It's all taken care of. And at the same time... I'm not bored. I couldn't sit on a beach for 16 hours a day. Always things to see and do at Disney and they're all a short bus ride/monorail/boat ride away.

Everyone behave yourselves while we're gone!

Booooring!

Anything Disney of course. ::yes:: With Lion King as my favorite. I also love the Harry Potter movies and also some of the older Jim Henson stuff like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

As referenced above the Harry Potter Series ranks pretty high. Also love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Anything written by Ken Follett or Stephen King.

Disney parks over seas. I've done both US parks, DL once and WDW too many to count.

Hmmm, not really big on pranks but one I do remember from youth group trips is red Kool-aid in the shower head so the water runs red.

Chevy Corvette - grey with black interior. Yes I have thought that one through. :rotfl2:

Unfortunately probably not anytime soon. Closest is probably Pittsburgh PA when I go to visit my family.

Nope. I'll probably keep reading and mostly lurking as long as you write them.

What have we missed in our travels that made you smack your head in disbelief? And, in the words of Jack from LOST, do "we need to go back"?

Well you haven't been down my way yet but I do think you are missing out by not visiting World of Coke. But just cause it's a favorite of mine doesn't mean everyone will like it.

Something to put on your list for the next time you visit Atlanta is the Center for Puppetry Arts. It's one of those cool hidden gems in Atlanta that most people don't even know about.

The fact that I can be a kid again every time that I visit.

Good eyes! Hard to tell in the photo. If I had to guess, it's another sheep, but you have me wondering...

Hmmm.... maybe a wolf trying to decide if Oblivious Kids might taste better than trying to wade through all that horn on the sheep?

Seems like we never see everything, no matter how much time we spend exploring.

There is no possible way. Hit what you reasonably can and leave room for return visits.

:faint: Don't remind me! Sarah takes driver's ed this year, and I'm still not ready for it.

You're a fair way's behind us. Trust me... you'll LOVE the "Stop at the grocery store for me on the way home"s.

Like I told pkondz, we only had a week, and Texas is so huge. There's always something to go back and see.

So true!! Keep on trekkin'!

With this many kids, it always feels like it's getting spent somewhere else!

Dude, you're talking to someone one up on ya. Oh how I know this...

<Your shoes are too small... again?! :faint:>

Well, there's a lot going on in the Oblivious household. Julie is now officially a 4th grade teacher, full-time!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

But this was a perfect opportunity that fell in her lap, so we decided to go for it while we could.

Sometimes the best things in life, just... happen. Sometimes we pursue, but sometimes they just happen. Geneally, in my experience, they take effort to make them be the best they can be.

As the 4th grade social studies teacher, she will be instructing the kids on...

This is so absolutely perfect for her! So glad she got this!

Adventure is out there!

HEY!! You stole that from me! (Never mind that I stole it from UP.)

In the meantime, while I'm gone, please update your TR's slowly so I have a chance to get caught up later. And I'm going to steal an idea from @pkondz ... tell me some more about yourselves:

There you go again, stealing your friends' stuff. :laughing:

Way hard question.

Hmmm.... Les Mis, Phantom, The Incredibles, Casablanca, Princess Bride, Babette's Feast, 100 Foot Journey.... sigh, I have a long list. And my interests are all over the board.

Pride and Prejudice, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Cay

Africa (coming up!), Southern Italy, Bali, Cambodia

My daughter banded the kitchen sink squirter on so when I turned the water on I was doused.

When I was about 9, we had just bought some Prell shampoo. My mom (on April Fool's Day) walked into the bathroom just as I was rinsing my hair and asked me why my hair was green. I FREAKED out, and thought the shampoo dyed my hair. Total win for her that day.

'63 silver split window 'Vette.

1963-Chevrolet-Corvette-Coupe-Split-Window-Sebring-Silver-For-Sale-e1424308248772-940x636.jpg

Flying out to Africa through IAD coming and going. A way's for you methinks.

Not a chance. Although, I'm guessing once you are done they'll return to Disney TRs or??

I honestly don't think you could have fit anymore in.

The creativity and attention to detail. They're safe, clean and fun. And there's something for EVERYONE. Don't like rides? Explore the gift shops. Don't like to shop? Try one of the 300! restaurants on property. Or, just swim and lounge. It's not just for kids!

OH sure, Killjoy.

Well, the road trip plans look great! I hope you're having a lot of fun! Hopefully more fun than Barry... I haven't seen any pictures of you changing a tire on the side of the road on FB yet, so that's gotta count for something.

The entrance road for the park winds several miles up to the top of a mesa, and visiting early in the morning presented a great opportunity to see some wildlife. In this case, it was not one, not two, but a whole family of bighorn sheep.
Wildlife out in nature is always a great thing!

This particular day happened to be the Saturday of Easter weekend, and was one of a few fee-free weekends offered by the National Park Service. So we all got to tour the cave without having to pay the normal fee. Not a bad deal if you can get it.
Wow... a free weekend on a holiday weekend? Definitely have to rope drop that one!

his was part of the old historic entrance to the cave. I don’t know why they don’t let people come in this way anymore.
Stupid lawyers. They ruin all the fun.

There was also a deep cavern labeled as the “Bottomless Pit”. Now I know what you’re thinking—how do they know? Well, as luck would have it, at that very moment some guy walked past me wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat and a New York Yankees jersey and muttering that “Disney World sucks.” So I tossed him over the edge, and darned if we never heard him hit bottom.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yes, just because we’re in the middle of nowhere doesn’t mean that the women don’t deserve fine shoes and handbags. Who says Texans are uncivilized?

IxrtI_2kQCY9Wo4q-NUyaxfDX5KOM3HkLnwjRJSfniL-SK8BZXBUmcB1Q-zfD4ekYjXraSi2diBqS3smZGowMV9VWVwXN-hsb1K8JWT4R3rT3bIDQ1dlCmMGERVrFRmenT6PRmoeMutK7jAKTT0fQNwafZt25QvUfNxYb4yWZd3qZsFkglQPcv3n6jPXSql0qfQPro6wC5GzxVZrPRSei2iqIz9p52gvN-pmAWtnjHFOvl7AwKITRMIUzJBHQmA83wEqiJI1e9oYqbUrDQIjLMZ6_VMTO6UUWmXbVqloKTZ_3q6BaXL6Fmb5fd2WC2KC51s9GM7xfdgzyI1DqZfLKxi6kFzwGkYmKqHpIvhefUUSM_k4d_G3x0Q3XeBCKP5rXz1l2zcsVgzDWMxO-K9H12qkFGJnAQh_pbCMiZX1gUlsfrHQKaNVPePkPKmxkaiIereMH-H0Jfd_f3CqPdgdWhG1-fghxw-3rOCgXSaLHE0gnXtBUnLuQw-P8HSfyXTZaFWdhqN11G39hsiSfoCRLcpNwprdX9BfpZKDHPVXPtQMhIaDX8ka8t6_JdWxaBlD45iKhsJPGL1h4SYsuuHaF-IGNtChEUsE6Cd6jm1i3l5GiPAH7yf4t_g2=w1192-h795-no
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

There were only two servers covering the greater population of Fort Davis, so things were, to be generous, slow. Our server had clearly had enough as she was arguing with customers over their orders and the amount of time it was taking to get their food. I guess she wasn’t big into receiving tips.
Well, with a server like that, I'd want to avoid arguing with her. Because if she's not working too hard for a good tip, I can only imagine what could happen to the food... :eek:

Well, there's a lot going on in the Oblivious household. Julie is now officially a 4th grade teacher, full-time! She was just offered a position at the school my kids attend. We've been talking and praying about the right time for her to return to work and once again, it wasn't quite as planned. But this was a perfect opportunity that fell in her lap, so we decided to go for it while we could. As the 4th grade social studies teacher, she will be instructing the kids on...

...U.S. geography and the various 50 states. I think we can call her a subject-matter expert.
That's great! Good luck with the new position Julie! You certainly seem well qualified for it!

That can change with my mood. But Jurassic Park has always been one of my favorites. Star Wars Films, Indiana Jones Films and Back to the Future films also rank right up there. I guess I have a thing for Trilogy-ish franchises.

I enjoy reading. But I can't think of a book I've read that made me want to read it again. I've recently read several of the books from the new Star Wars cannon that offer some background to the new movies. They're good. But favorite book? I don't know. I've also read some good action/adventure/mystery stories that were set in Disney World. Fun reads. But again, favorite book? I just can't think of one. I guess we'll go with the one book I pick up more than any other... the Bible.

Oh man... tough one! I can name a lot of places, but Italy comes to mind first. It just seems like a beautiful country with a lot of interesting history and some really, really, really good food.

How do I narrow this down?
Ok, back in high school, we didn't have officially assigned parking spots, but it was common knowledge that you didn't park in certain spots because that was the spot that someone parked in every day. At a school with kids with 4x4 trucks, I can say that cars were dragged from the wrong parking spot on the end of a chain on more than one occasion. But the best prank was just a little bit different. One of our friends was just trying to be a pain in the butt and parked in another friends' spot. He had a lowered GMC Jimmy. We crawled under it with jacks and boards and jacked it up and put it on blocks so that the tires were just barely still touching the asphalt, but there was really no weight on them to get any traction. We hung around after school long enough to watch him get in and try to leave. Quite the smoke show, but he couldn't move. We left with the jacks and came back about 2 hours later to get him off the blocks so he could go home.

1970 Chevelle SS. Preferably with a 454, because why have a puny little 396 in a muscle car like this?
ea62b45723199d7b2a03a5921ce6d704--chevy-chevelle-ss-chevy-ss.jpg

But really, I'm a truck guy. I've always had a truck. Currently a diesel. And I like a show on TV called Diesel Brothers. A group of screwballs who modify some pretty incredible trucks. And there's one that I think is just awesome. An El Camino, lifted with a Duramax diesel engine in it. I'd love to have the Hell Camino...
maxresdefault.jpg

Um... dang. I don't know. Used to get out there every year, but that was before I was on the Dis. Haven't been back since.

Will you stop writing them?

I don't care how far out of the way it was, I still can't believe you didn't go to the Field of Dreams in Iowa. You visit every other baseball field in the country.

I thought about trying to sound more thoughtful by saying something like the magic, the total immersion, the memories.

But I won't.

It's Rock n Rollercoaster.

Why start now?

Great updates - still can't believe how the kids are changing. Congrats to Julie on the job. It is amazing how things fall into place sometimes. Perfect subject matter with years of relevant experience!

I'm all over the board on this one - my latest are the John Wick & Jack Reacher movies. I really love comedies that provide good quotes. Movies I'll usually watch whenever they are on TV - Taken (only the first one), Just Like Heaven, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, How to Lose a Guy in 10 days (so stupid/silly - but a fun watch for me)

Pretty much anything James Patterson or along the same lines.

DELAWARE!!!!

Ok - now really - since you 'stole' the questions idea from @pkondz - I'm going to copy and paste my reply (even though it contains a return trip to some places).

Tough choice. I would have to say a build my own itinerary for a world tour. I may have to take breaks to connect back to home. Love getting to a destination and exploring by car...and also enjoy some relaxation time. Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, North America. Some locations I've been to before, but would love to go back.

Additionally, your trips are inspirational and many new places have been added to our 'wish list' for North America.

Drawing a blank.

Mercedes Sprinter Travel Van.

Late October.

Only if you stop writing them. (hope you keep writing)

I smack my head in disbelief as to how much you see/do in your trips. You can never do it all. We have found in our travels that there is usually an aspect that we want to go back and revisit at some point. I think the I-80 is a revisit for you. :drive: :duck: Seriously - I think you might want to revisit Minnesota.

Disneyland/California Adventure - a great quick playground for DH and I to stop in and have fun together. In fact, we are popping in tonight.

WDW - extended relaxing vacation spot for DH and I to have fun together where our most stressful thoughts are what time to get up and play the how long will it be before the bus arrives game (we do not always have the same VIP bus service as a certain Canadian reader).

What are your favorite movies
I'll say Star Wars; I've probably seen those more than any other. I also enjoyed Lord of the Rings.

I don't read much to be honest. I did read and enjoy the Harry Potter series. The first rbooks I really got into as a teenager were Dragonlance series and Shannara series.
Is it obvious yet that I didn't date much (i.e. at all) as a teenager?

Italy and Greece. Especially Italy for the food.

Congrats!
My niece just picked up her first teaching gig with 5th graders. May both of them get the administrative support they need and have great years ahead of them.

We are also leaving on our Deep South road trip at the same time!
So I’ve heard.

As soon as we get back, she's going to have less than a week to set up her classroom and be ready to start the school year. As a result, we may end up canceling the last day of our trip and driving all the way back from the Carolinas just so she can have an extra day to prepare. We shall see!
Awwww…
Perfectly understandable…
Precisely logical…
Likely the best choice…

But still…

Awwwww…

Adventure is out there!
Kaw! Kaw!
Rawr!

In the meantime, while I'm gone, please update your TR's slowly so I have a chance to get caught up later.
Pbffft…
Not a problem.

And I'm going to steal an idea from @pkondz
Theft is the highest form of flattery.
(or something like that).

... tell me some more about yourselves:
Well, let’s see…
I do believe that I was seven years old the first time I had some one point out to me in no uncertain terms that I had no redeeming human value…

Oh, Wait…
I get it; you weren’t looking for serious detail.
Ok, that’ll be a lot easier. So what was the question again?

I’d be hard pressed to narrow the list down below three or four dozen films (a good deal of which will be older than even I am). There are some classics that would likely be topping off the list, but in general I gravitate toward historical films and who-done-its. After that it’d be light adventure/sci-fi/fantasy and then comedies would round off the genera list (and I mean comedies that are humorous as opposed to just painful, awkward or driven by embarrassment; that’s nothing more than being abusive and I honestly don’t understand when or why that got to be the gold standard for comedy).

I tend to react strongly to movies and books and will let the story lines affect and bother me for days and sometimes weeks afterward, so gore and horror are generally off the list. I also tend to stay away from heavy dramas and things that have no choice but to end badly (I especially can’t stand watching family members fighting and arguing). Exceptions are made for those rare stories that are important enough to merit that kind of self-abuse, though.

61AAyPul4tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Much to be learned from that one.

As for fiction…
It’s similar to my outlook on movies.
But I also try to read things that anyone had tried to or succeeded in having banned.
(that’s actually why I read the “Potter” books as an adult)

Dang near everywhere.
South Pacific comes to mind.
A goodly portion of me would kind’a like to emigrate down that way.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away…
My employment required twelve hour shifts crossing weekends and without holidays.
You get use to schedules like that. But it still gets a mite annoying when all your buddies are off work and out having a good time during one event of another but you’re still looking at hours and days before you’ll be allowed out of your cage. One tends to get to the point where you are no longer able to suffer fools gladly. This collection a facts came to a head during the middle of a work week that also happened to cross over the Independence Day holidays for that year.

As it turns out, the phone in our part of the building complex possessed a number that was very similar to that of a local well established sandwich shop. Needless to say, we got regular errant calls from folks wanting to place an order for their dinner. No problem, you let them know that they mixed up a couple digits and then send them on their way. There are some folks, however, that can’t take a hint (much less direction) and will continue to call back informing you of the certainty of their divine infallibility and noting with much inference that it is you who were wrong about just who it was that they had called…

Really? :sad2:

We got one of those blokes that particular 4th of July.
All these factors combined to result in the following conversation:

<<phone rings for a third time in a five minute succession>>

Me: Systems Operations… can I help you?
Him: Yeah! <<same voice as the previous two somewhat abusive calls>>
This is Sammy’s Sub Shop, right? {Name changed to protect the innocent}
Me: Ya’ know what? It certainly is, may I take your order, sir?
Him: Yeah, I want a Roast Beef Grinder to go.
Me: Half or whole
Him: Whole sandwich.
Me: do you want the sautéed peppers and onions on that?
Him: Yeah and extra cheese.
Me: Want us to put it under the broiler before we wrap it up?
Him: Yeah, that too.
Me: Do you want waffle fries with that or regular?
Him: The waffle ones, and some extra of the special sauce.
Me: Good, how about a drink?
Him: Naaa, that’s all
Me: got it, what name should I put on the order?
Him: Ben.
Me: Ok Ben, should be ready in fifteen minutes. Have you heard about our holiday promotion?
Him: No, what promotion?
Me: I’m surprised you haven’t seen one of the flyers. We’re celebrating Independence Day here at Sammy’s. When you get to the counter and they ask for your name, you just bust out into the first verse of God Bless America, at the top of your voice, and you get the whole order half price. Sing the whole song and it’s free.
We’ll even pay the tax.
Him: No way!
Me: Yes sir, the boss figures no one’s brave enough to do it, and it makes him look right patriotic (which certainly ain’t bad for business in general, ya’ know). I think he’s wrong so I make sure all customers know that it’s an option.
Him: You serious?
Me: Look man, what would Sammy do to anyone that purposely embarrassed a customer right in front of god and everyone? Heck, anybody actually working here that did such a thing would have their butt slung out the door so fast the eyes wouldn’t see but a faint blur.
Him: Yeah, that makes sense. Hay, make that order for two sandwiches then.
Me: You got it. Anything else?
Him: Nope, that’s all. Thanks!
Me: We aim to please. They’re already working up your order. See you in about fifteen minutes.
<<hangs up phone >>
Me: Moron…
Coworkers: <<simultaneously bust out laughing>>

Now…
Obviously we were all still working, and didn’t have any breaks coming up any time soon, so I can’t say exactly what transpired across town in that sandwich shop shortly afterward. But I’m pretty sure that one way or another, that guy probably started practicing up on his phone dialing skills.

Actually, that may be the only “prank” I’ve ever pull in my entire life.

Well…
You asked.

55 Chevy Nomad
Frame-off restored
With all suspension and drivetrain replaced with modern running gear.
A/C & sound system installed and better seats.

Kind’a like this…

55nomad.jpg

Except painted white over sea-foam green (no flames)
And lowered about an inch but no more than that.

That’d be the daily driver.

The weekend - nice weather - cursin’ with the top down - ride would be one of these…

a91836d16e78b53897a6f090d7321191.jpg

(but of course I’d also gladly have the Woody sitting across the way in that picture as well)

I have a plan for a road trip loop heading up the Delmarva toward Philly and returning via Baltimore & DC. But I’m not certain when I can implement that one.

Do you intend to stop traveling - or worse - stop writing about it?

Depends…
I’ll have to see what y’all do with the end of the current trip.
Other than that, I’ve tossed out plenty of non sequitur suggestions over time.
I suspect, you’ll get to the good ones at some point.

Details…

That and that just being there plain flat out makes me happy.

Not bloody likely, mate…

Well hi there!!! It's been a while since I've actually posted a reply, but I've been lurking. Wish I'd lurked earlier to know you were going to be in my state, I would've come say hi!

Any of the 80s comedies: Better Off Dead, My Cousin Vinny, etc., Steel Magnolias, the Disney version of Three Musketeers (live action, not animated), Beauty and the Beast (both old and new), 101 Dalmations (animated). Just to name a few

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, the entire Harry Potter series, the Bride Quartet series by Nora Roberts, Realityland by David Koenig, and Five Point Play by Mike Krzyzewski

Iguazu (or Iguacu) Falls. It's the top of my bucket list.

Hmmm....to be honest I'm not that big of a prankster. I did once hook a wireless mouse up to my co-workers computer, so that was fun for a couple of days.

Audi R8 Spyder
news-2017-r8-spyder-09.jpeg

Ummmm.........next August?? Maybe. Potentially going to be in Maryland.

Never. I love your TRs. And your photos are the only ones that load on my work computer.

I don't really have an answer for that. Because, to be honest, I don't remember enough. Heck, I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

The attention to detail and the service. The fact that CMs (for the most part, we have run across a few bad apples) are willing to go out of their way to make you happy.

I was raised to be skeptical of the hoity-toity crowd, and to find good value for the money I spend. Of course, this is subjective too.

You know this sentence really got me to thinking. I was not brought up to find good value for the money spent. My parents actually have no sense of cost efficiency, they buy what they want no matter how outrageous it is priced. They won't even recycle cans or bottles for money because they think it's a waste of their energy. I learned about value on my own either as a teenager (when my parents kept impressing on me that my father wasn't getting paid full salary and we had to be mindful, though they weren't. :laughing:) or in college when I had to live on a strict budget.

Julie is now officially a 4th grade teacher, full-time!

Yay for Julie! She is going to rock at that job!

In the meantime, while I'm gone, please update your TR's slowly so I have a chance to get caught up later.

I don't think I even updated either of my TRs while you were gone. I was gone too, however, I did just post one today, but that's OK cause you're back home now.

Geez, that's a hard one, like picking your favorite cat! I'd have to say just about all the animated Disney & Pixar films. Although Caddyshack and Monty Python and the Holy Grail also stick out as clear contenders.

Whatever series I'm currently listening to! Which right now are the Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters.

Disneyland Paris, Montreal, Quebec, New Mexico, Kauai....

No clue. Haven't done pranks since I was a little girl.

68 Pontiac Firebird

Not anytime in the near future. Although we did say that we need to go back to DC again, that's probably the closest we will get for a while. Unless we decide to go to NYC and see some Broadway shows, but we have to win the lottery first for that one.

Of course not!

Indiana Jones Ride. Yes you need to come back and this time I will REALLY hook you up!

Getting lost in the magic.

I had no choice, I was so busy off on my own adventures, I didn't have time for misbehaving!

Now you're in the secret bighorn sheep club.

I was wondering why I started getting those newsletters.

I don't have enough hair for the bats to get caught in. I'm immune.

I was more worried about the bats bombing you.

Thanks for the tip! Can I use you (serious question) as a resource when planning my next road trip?

Absolutely! I would love to help out.

I was just talking to someone who mentioned something in feet... and then tried to convert to meters.
Which is funny because when someone tells me meters, I automatically think yards and compare it to football.

That makes more sense. Yards/meters seems like an easier conversion.

I just stumbled on it one day. An article, I mean. I haven't been.

You'd have to work hard to "stumble" onto the site in real life.

Cage some squirrels. Release as necessary.

Low tech, but surprisingly effective.

Now you're talking my language.

Throw in some Timmie's and we're good to go!

Truer words were never spoken.

Hey, I know my limitations. They're limitless.

Congrats!

Julie says thanks!

Perfect!! Drawing on the wealth of experience will be beneficial to her and the kids.

She's really excited about it. She's been working on decorating/setting up her classroom over the last few days. Also roped in a bunch of friends/acquaintances to send "reports" from various places across the country. She's good at this.

Julie gets new job. First thing she does is take a vacation.

I'm making her an honorary state worker.

Ah. Okay, so not quite at the same time.

Details, details.

Fave movie. Can't pick one. Growing up it was Close Encounters. Now? Can't narrow it down.

Well, that was why the question was plural.

Fave book. Another tough one, but I will at least say my favourite author is Larry Niven and I have read Ringworld and World out of Time at least half a dozen times each. Then again, growing up, I've read Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Heinlein at least a dozen times.

So you're a big sci-fi fan, then? Interesting. I have never ready Larry Niven before. Do I need to start?

Travel. Good Lord man. The world's too big. So.... I will do like an old family friend did and take a year and go all the way around it. Key spots would be Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Russia, Hong Kong, Japan. (Although I have seen a bit of Italy already.)

Those would all be great trips to take. I wouldn't mind seeing those places, either! As well as England, France, Germany, and Scandinavia.

Best prank.... hmmm.... one that comes to mind.
Our company had received a prestigious international award and to celebrate, everyone got a plaque. One girl, who had been away on vacation during all this came to work and found this plaque in her mail slot.
"What's this?" She asked.
I didn't even hesitate. "What have you got there, Laura?"
"I don't know. It's some kind of award."
"Really! What did you get that for?"
"I don't know."
"Wow!" I said. "You should run upstairs to the administration offices and ask them."
So she did.
10 minutes later she came down.
"They said everyone got them."
Me: "Oh that's right. We did."

:rotfl2::rotfl2: It's a participation trophy!

Best one that I ever saw.... I can't say on a family board.

Now you know this necessitates a PM. I love a good prank story.

Vehicle.... hmmm.... probably a Lambo. The Veneno Roadster.
But... since you said money is no object....

McLaren P1 LM

My son, David, would be right there with you. And here I just want a Subaru Outback. I'm not a huge car guy, though. I'm more into practical considerations, like how much crap can I haul, and what's the gas mileage? I'd probably lean more towards trucks, like @afwdwfan .

Near Delaware? I don't know. Probably November. Washington close enough?
Otherwise, probably not until 2018 or 2019.

Absolutely, that's close enough! Washington D.C. is about 2 hours from me. Unless you mean Washington state. That's a bit longer.

Only trouble with November is that it's when my daughter's surgery is taking place. But please keep me posted.

Stop reading?
Well, no. You have to redo the States you missed with Drew, don't you?

Sure! And I really want to start traveling to other countries, once we kick a few kids out and I don't have to buy 6 tickets for everything anymore.

Favourite thing about the parks.
Interesting question.

Freedom. When I'm in Disney, I don't have to worry. I have freedom from fighting the rush hour traffic. I don't even have to drive at all. I don't cook. I don't clean. I don't worry about personal security. It's all taken care of. And at the same time... I'm not bored. I couldn't sit on a beach for 16 hours a day. Always things to see and do at Disney and they're all a short bus ride/monorail/boat ride away.

Those would be high on our list as well. I can't sit on a beach, either. After a day, i'm itching to leave and do something. Besides what you listed, I love the atmosphere/theming. The attention to detail and imagination involved always stuns me. I really appreciate Imagineers. And I'm always amazed that such a huge logistical operation can be run, for the most part, very well.

Booooring!

Anything Disney of course. ::yes:: With Lion King as my favorite. I also love the Harry Potter movies and also some of the older Jim Henson stuff like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

You usually can't go wrong with Disney. Unless it's from the Mighty Ducks period.

As referenced above the Harry Potter Series ranks pretty high. Also love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Anything written by Ken Follett or Stephen King.

My daughter is the world's biggest Harry Potter fan, and she keeps trying to get me to read the series. I read the first one and enjoyed it. Just need to find the time to do the rest. Loved King's 11/22/63--my favorite book I've read in a long time. I tried starting the Century series by Follett but had a hard time getting into it.

Disney parks over seas. I've done both US parks, DL once and WDW too many to count.

Those are definitely great bucket list items!

Hmmm, not really big on pranks but one I do remember from youth group trips is red Kool-aid in the shower head so the water runs red.

:scared1:

Chevy Corvette - grey with black interior. Yes I have thought that one through. :rotfl2:

I always appreciate specificity in daydreams!

Unfortunately probably not anytime soon. Closest is probably Pittsburgh PA when I go to visit my family.

Yeah, that's a big of a hike. I have a hard time believing Delaware isn't a prime spot on the bucket list, though.

Nope. I'll probably keep reading and mostly lurking as long as you write them.

What's this "lurking" stuff? Jump in! We don't bite! Well, most of us.

Well you haven't been down my way yet but I do think you are missing out by not visiting World of Coke. But just cause it's a favorite of mine doesn't mean everyone will like it.

Something to put on your list for the next time you visit Atlanta is the Center for Puppetry Arts. It's one of those cool hidden gems in Atlanta that most people don't even know about.

Thanks for the heads-up! I can now say that we've visited Atlanta, and very much enjoyed the Aquarium. I think World of Coke would be great if I found a way in where I didn't have to pay $100 for it.

The fact that I can be a kid again every time that I visit.

Good answer!:thumbsup2

Hmmm.... maybe a wolf trying to decide if Oblivious Kids might taste better than trying to wade through all that horn on the sheep?

He'd be disappointed with the amount of meat on the kids' bones.

There is no possible way. Hit what you reasonably can and leave room for return visits.

Yep. Always nice to have favorite places to return to.

You're a fair way's behind us. Trust me... you'll LOVE the "Stop at the grocery store for me on the way home"s.

I can definitely see the advantages there. We actually need to work on Sarah; she's terrified of driving.

So true!! Keep on trekkin'!

Dude, you're talking to someone one up on ya. Oh how I know this...

<Your shoes are too small... again?! :faint:>

That's the WORST! For all that money, these clothes should last more than a few months!

Sometimes the best things in life, just... happen. Sometimes we pursue, but sometimes they just happen. Geneally, in my experience, they take effort to make them be the best they can be.

Very well said. Most of the best things in life are that way because of the amount of effort/patience that they required.

This is so absolutely perfect for her! So glad she got this!

Me too! She's going to rock it!

HEY!! You stole that from me! (Never mind that I stole it from UP.)

I steal all my best lines.

There you go again, stealing your friends' stuff. :laughing:

See?

Way hard question.

Hmmm.... Les Mis, Phantom, The Incredibles, Casablanca, Princess Bride, Babette's Feast, 100 Foot Journey.... sigh, I have a long list. And my interests are all over the board.

A very eclectic list. And I would have expected nothing less from you!

Pride and Prejudice, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Cay

Why am I suddenly having scary flashbacks to English class?:scared1:

Africa (coming up!), Southern Italy, Bali, Cambodia

No matter how many places you've been, there are still more to explore!

My daughter banded the kitchen sink squirter on so when I turned the water on I was doused.

Simple, yet effective. I like it.

When I was about 9, we had just bought some Prell shampoo. My mom (on April Fool's Day) walked into the bathroom just as I was rinsing my hair and asked me why my hair was green. I FREAKED out, and thought the shampoo dyed my hair. Total win for her that day.

:thumbsup2 Nice work, mom!

That looks like an early-model Batmobile. Cool.

Flying out to Africa through IAD coming and going. A way's for you methinks.

Well, the D.C. area is generally only 2 hours from me. Not bad at all! Traffic there can be a nightmare, and the annoying part about IAD is that it's all the way on the other side of the city in Virginia.

But these are not impossible obstacles to overcome in the least. The real question is whether you'll have any layovers, or possibly a day in town?

Not a chance. Although, I'm guessing once you are done they'll return to Disney TRs or??

I'm hoping they turn international! With Disney thrown in, of course.

I honestly don't think you could have fit anymore in.

That was never more true than on this Deep South trip.:faint:

The creativity and attention to detail. They're safe, clean and fun. And there's something for EVERYONE. Don't like rides? Explore the gift shops. Don't like to shop? Try one of the 300! restaurants on property. Or, just swim and lounge. It's not just for kids!

Creativity and attention to detail. YES. This.

OH sure, Killjoy.

Eh, I've been called worse.

Well, the road trip plans look great! I hope you're having a lot of fun! Hopefully more fun than Barry... I haven't seen any pictures of you changing a tire on the side of the road on FB yet, so that's gotta count for something.

No problems on the road whatsoever. Just a metric ****-ton of miles. :faint:

Wildlife out in nature is always a great thing!

Absolutely!

Wow... a free weekend on a holiday weekend? Definitely have to rope drop that one!

Good thing it was such a remote site.

Stupid lawyers. They ruin all the fun.

Without fail!

Well, with a server like that, I'd want to avoid arguing with her. Because if she's not working too hard for a good tip, I can only imagine what could happen to the food... :eek:

Exactly. Gotta stay on her good side.

That's great! Good luck with the new position Julie! You certainly seem well qualified for it!

She's going to be perfect for it!

That can change with my mood. But Jurassic Park has always been one of my favorites. Star Wars Films, Indiana Jones Films and Back to the Future films also rank right up there. I guess I have a thing for Trilogy-ish franchises.

All solid choices. Although I would argue that Jurassic Park is much better than any of the sequels.

I enjoy reading. But I can't think of a book I've read that made me want to read it again. I've recently read several of the books from the new Star Wars cannon that offer some background to the new movies. They're good. But favorite book? I don't know. I've also read some good action/adventure/mystery stories that were set in Disney World. Fun reads. But again, favorite book? I just can't think of one. I guess we'll go with the one book I pick up more than any other... the Bible.

Teacher's pet.

Oh man... tough one! I can name a lot of places, but Italy comes to mind first. It just seems like a beautiful country with a lot of interesting history and some really, really, really good food.

Yep, quickest way to a man's heart. I hope I get there someday.

How do I narrow this down?
Ok, back in high school, we didn't have officially assigned parking spots, but it was common knowledge that you didn't park in certain spots because that was the spot that someone parked in every day. At a school with kids with 4x4 trucks, I can say that cars were dragged from the wrong parking spot on the end of a chain on more than one occasion. But the best prank was just a little bit different. One of our friends was just trying to be a pain in the butt and parked in another friends' spot. He had a lowered GMC Jimmy. We crawled under it with jacks and boards and jacked it up and put it on blocks so that the tires were just barely still touching the asphalt, but there was really no weight on them to get any traction. We hung around after school long enough to watch him get in and try to leave. Quite the smoke show, but he couldn't move. We left with the jacks and came back about 2 hours later to get him off the blocks so he could go home.

That's awesome! Requires multiple people, and precision in the execution. High degree of difficulty. Well done!:thumbsup2

1970 Chevelle SS. Preferably with a 454, because why have a puny little 396 in a muscle car like this?
ea62b45723199d7b2a03a5921ce6d704--chevy-chevelle-ss-chevy-ss.jpg

I do like a car with some muscle to it. Some are really fast, but seem like they'd fly apart if something went slightly wrong.

But really, I'm a truck guy. I've always had a truck. Currently a diesel. And I like a show on TV called Diesel Brothers. A group of screwballs who modify some pretty incredible trucks. And there's one that I think is just awesome. An El Camino, lifted with a Duramax diesel engine in it. I'd love to have the Hell Camino...
maxresdefault.jpg

At heart, I'd probably prefer trucks as well. It's not like I have any opportunity to open up a sports car at 120 mph anyway. Give me something practical.

Um... dang. I don't know. Used to get out there every year, but that was before I was on the Dis. Haven't been back since.

The real question is, WHY NOT??? You would think you'd want to return to paradise.

Will you stop writing them?

Never! Unless circumstances prevent me. But they're too much fun!

I don't care how far out of the way it was, I still can't believe you didn't go to the Field of Dreams in Iowa. You visit every other baseball field in the country.

I really wanted to, believe me. There was nothing else of interest to me in Iowa. I just couldn't figure out a way to make it work in the driving plan that made sense. Field of Dreams is not close to anything. To paraphrase Raiders of the Lost Ark: "If you're trying to escape on foot...the corn is 3 weeks in every direction."

I thought about trying to sound more thoughtful by saying something like the magic, the total immersion, the memories.

But I won't.

It's Rock n Rollercoaster.

:rotfl: I like the brutal honesty. Man knows what he likes.

Why start now?

Good question.

I was wondering why I started getting those newsletters.

You can always click "unsubscribe". Unless you're too sheepish to ram it down their throats.

I was more worried about the bats bombing you.

Guano

Absolutely! I would love to help out.

Great! I'll get back to you when I have an idea of what I'm doing...

You'd have to work hard to "stumble" onto the site in real life.

I believe you.

Throw in some Timmie's and we're good to go!

Hey, I know my limitations. They're limitless.

You have limitless amounts of limits. Got it.

She's really excited about it. She's been working on decorating/setting up her classroom over the last few days. Also roped in a bunch of friends/acquaintances to send "reports" from various places across the country. She's good at this.

I thought I could send some too... but it's American locations she's looking for, correct?

I'm making her an honorary state worker.

:laughing:

Well, that was why the question was plural.

The DIS won't allow a list of that length.

So you're a big sci-fi fan, then? Interesting. I have never ready Larry Niven before. Do I need to start?

Fair warning, he's hard SF. But... his best known/prize winning novel is Ringworld. You couldn't go wrong starting with that.

Those would all be great trips to take. I wouldn't mind seeing those places, either! As well as England, France, Germany, and Scandinavia.

I'd add in those too. Except maybe Germany. I've seen so much of it already, been several times (Dad was born and raised there.)

Now you know this necessitates a PM. I love a good prank story.

Dang it! And now I can't remember it!

My son, David, would be right there with you. And here I just want a Subaru Outback. I'm not a huge car guy, though. I'm more into practical considerations, like how much crap can I haul, and what's the gas mileage? I'd probably lean more towards trucks, like @afwdwfan .

Here's my thinking. Give me a $3Million dollar car... I'll drive it for a bit, just to see... then sell it and use the cash to buy a car I can actually use and a whole lot of other stuff.

Absolutely, that's close enough! Washington D.C. is about 2 hours from me. Unless you mean Washington state. That's a bit longer.

Only trouble with November is that it's when my daughter's surgery is taking place. But please keep me posted.

DC. But it's just a layover. Not even sure how many hours it is. Overnight, I think? Pretty sure I come in on the 21st and fly out on the 22nd.

Sure! And I really want to start traveling to other countries, once we kick a few kids out and I don't have to buy 6 tickets for everything anymore.

Yeah, that gets a bit pricey.

Those would be high on our list as well. I can't sit on a beach, either. After a day, i'm itching to leave and do something. Besides what you listed, I love the atmosphere/theming. The attention to detail and imagination involved always stuns me. I really appreciate Imagineers. And I'm always amazed that such a huge logistical operation can be run, for the most part, very well.

Yes! All of that, too!

Great updates - still can't believe how the kids are changing. Congrats to Julie on the job. It is amazing how things fall into place sometimes. Perfect subject matter with years of relevant experience!

It really was the perfect opportunity for her. Life does not stand still!

I'm all over the board on this one - my latest are the John Wick & Jack Reacher movies. I really love comedies that provide good quotes. Movies I'll usually watch whenever they are on TV - Taken (only the first one), Just Like Heaven, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, How to Lose a Guy in 10 days (so stupid/silly - but a fun watch for me)

I'm definitely with you on the Christmas movies! Both are classics.

Pretty much anything James Patterson or along the same lines.

Big into thrillers, then? I really like Lee Child, Harlan Coben, and Dennis Lehane. Gregg Hurwitz is good too.

DELAWARE!!!!

Great answer! A million bonus points!

Ok - now really - since you 'stole' the questions idea from @pkondz - I'm going to copy and paste my reply (even though it contains a return trip to some places).

Tough choice. I would have to say a build my own itinerary for a world tour. I may have to take breaks to connect back to home. Love getting to a destination and exploring by car...and also enjoy some relaxation time. Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, North America. Some locations I've been to before, but would love to go back.

Additionally, your trips are inspirational and many new places have been added to our 'wish list' for North America.

So, basically most of the continents then.

Drawing a blank.

Darn. Prank stories never get old.

Mercedes Sprinter Travel Van.

Now there's an interesting choice! Need the room?

Late October.

Really? Do tell.

Only if you stop writing them. (hope you keep writing)

I'll do my best!

I smack my head in disbelief as to how much you see/do in your trips. You can never do it all. We have found in our travels that there is usually an aspect that we want to go back and revisit at some point. I think the I-80 is a revisit for you. :drive: :duck: Seriously - I think you might want to revisit Minnesota.

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: I prefer to think of I-80 as a "once in a lifetime" experience. I do feel like we owe northern Minnesota/Great Lakes region some more attention.

Disneyland/California Adventure - a great quick playground for DH and I to stop in and have fun together. In fact, we are popping in tonight.

WDW - extended relaxing vacation spot for DH and I to have fun together where our most stressful thoughts are what time to get up and play the how long will it be before the bus arrives game (we do not always have the same VIP bus service as a certain Canadian reader).

I really want to give DL the time it deserves, too.

There's a common thread in the responses--not having to worry about anything! Most of the time, things work the way they're supposed to at WDW. You can escape responsibility.

I'll say Star Wars; I've probably seen those more than any other. I also enjoyed Lord of the Rings.

You'll never go wrong quoting Star Wars here. I tend to have a somewhat minority opinion on the Lord of the Rings movies. I think they're good, but I admire them (and the filmmaking skill behind them) more than I enjoy them, if that makes any sense. The scenes in the 2nd movie with the talking trees always ground that movie to a halt for me.

I don't read much to be honest. I did read and enjoy the Harry Potter series. The first rbooks I really got into as a teenager were Dragonlance series and Shannara series.
Is it obvious yet that I didn't date much (i.e. at all) as a teenager?

You can probably combine the number of dates we both went on in high school and count them on one hand with a few fingers left over.

Italy and Greece. Especially Italy for the food.

No further justification required.

Congrats!
My niece just picked up her first teaching gig with 5th graders. May both of them get the administrative support they need and have great years ahead of them.

Yep...every worker needs to know the boss has his/her back.

Awwww…
Perfectly understandable…
Precisely logical…
Likely the best choice…

But still…

Awwwww…

Yeah, I wish it could have worked out differently. Now we have a place to return to in North Carolina.

Kaw! Kaw!
Rawr!

+1:thumbsup2

Pbffft…
Not a problem.

You're just taking the time to make it a masterpiece. You can't rush art.

Theft is the highest form of flattery.
(or something like that).

Sure, let's go with that.

Well, let’s see…
I do believe that I was seven years old the first time I had some one point out to me in no uncertain terms that I had no redeeming human value…

Better pull up a couch and cancel my appointments.

Oh, Wait…
I get it; you weren’t looking for serious detail.
Ok, that’ll be a lot easier. So what was the question again?

I don't remember.

I’d be hard pressed to narrow the list down below three or four dozen films (a good deal of which will be older than even I am). There are some classics that would likely be topping off the list, but in general I gravitate toward historical films and who-done-its. After that it’d be light adventure/sci-fi/fantasy and then comedies would round off the genera list (and I mean comedies that are humorous as opposed to just painful, awkward or driven by embarrassment; that’s nothing more than being abusive and I honestly don’t understand when or why that got to be the gold standard for comedy).

I have to agree with you there. I am not a fan of "cringe comedy". If done right, it can be very funny, but it's very tricky to pull off. The Office usually walked that line and could be hilarious, but also crossed it occasionally. Most of that type of comedy seems in vogue these days, and it typically involves the main characters acting like immature jerks. Which I do not find funny, just irritating.

I tend to react strongly to movies and books and will let the story lines affect and bother me for days and sometimes weeks afterward, so gore and horror are generally off the list. I also tend to stay away from heavy dramas and things that have no choice but to end badly (I especially can’t stand watching family members fighting and arguing). Exceptions are made for those rare stories that are important enough to merit that kind of self-abuse, though.

I'm not a fan of gore and horror, either, and I generally like my movies uplifting as well (or seeing the good guys win in the end). Sometimes a sad ending is appropriate, though. (See: Glory)

61AAyPul4tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Much to be learned from that one.

As for fiction…
It’s similar to my outlook on movies.
But I also try to read things that anyone had tried to or succeeded in having banned.
(that’s actually why I read the “Potter” books as an adult)

You're quite the rebel there.

Dang near everywhere.
South Pacific comes to mind.
A goodly portion of me would kind’a like to emigrate down that way.

Are there permanent residences in Bora Bora?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away…
My employment required twelve hour shifts crossing weekends and without holidays.
You get use to schedules like that. But it still gets a mite annoying when all your buddies are off work and out having a good time during one event of another but you’re still looking at hours and days before you’ll be allowed out of your cage. One tends to get to the point where you are no longer able to suffer fools gladly. This collection a facts came to a head during the middle of a work week that also happened to cross over the Independence Day holidays for that year.

As it turns out, the phone in our part of the building complex possessed a number that was very similar to that of a local well established sandwich shop. Needless to say, we got regular errant calls from folks wanting to place an order for their dinner. No problem, you let them know that they mixed up a couple digits and then send them on their way. There are some folks, however, that can’t take a hint (much less direction) and will continue to call back informing you of the certainty of their divine infallibility and noting with much inference that it is you who were wrong about just who it was that they had called…

Really? :sad2:

We got one of those blokes that particular 4th of July.
All these factors combined to result in the following conversation:

<<phone rings for a third time in a five minute succession>>

Me: Systems Operations… can I help you?
Him: Yeah! <<same voice as the previous two somewhat abusive calls>>
This is Sammy’s Sub Shop, right? {Name changed to protect the innocent}Me: Ya’ know what? It certainly is, may I take your order, sir?
Him: Yeah, I want a Roast Beef Grinder to go.
Me: Half or whole
Him: Whole sandwich.
Me: do you want the sautéed peppers and onions on that?
Him: Yeah and extra cheese.
Me: Want us to put it under the broiler before we wrap it up?
Him: Yeah, that too.
Me: Do you want waffle fries with that or regular?
Him: The waffle ones, and some extra of the special sauce.
Me: Good, how about a drink?
Him: Naaa, that’s all
Me: got it, what name should I put on the order?
Him: Ben.
Me: Ok Ben, should be ready in fifteen minutes. Have you heard about our holiday promotion?
Him: No, what promotion?
Me: I’m surprised you haven’t seen one of the flyers. We’re celebrating Independence Day here at Sammy’s. When you get to the counter and they ask for your name, you just bust out into the first verse of God Bless America, at the top of your voice, and you get the whole order half price. Sing the whole song and it’s free.
We’ll even pay the tax.
Him: No way!
Me: Yes sir, the boss figures no one’s brave enough to do it, and it makes him look right patriotic (which certainly ain’t bad for business in general, ya’ know). I think he’s wrong so I make sure all customers know that it’s an option.
Him: You serious?
Me: Look man, what would Sammy do to anyone that purposely embarrassed a customer right in front of god and everyone? Heck, anybody actually working here that did such a thing would have their butt slung out the door so fast the eyes wouldn’t see but a faint blur.
Him: Yeah, that makes sense. Hay, make that order for two sandwiches then.
Me: You got it. Anything else?
Him: Nope, that’s all. Thanks!
Me: We aim to please. They’re already working up your order. See you in about fifteen minutes.
<<hangs up phone >>
Me: Moron…
Coworkers: <<simultaneously bust out laughing>>

Now…
Obviously we were all still working, and didn’t have any breaks coming up any time soon, so I can’t say exactly what transpired across town in that sandwich shop shortly afterward. But I’m pretty sure that one way or another, that guy probably started practicing up on his phone dialing skills.

Actually, that may be the only “prank” I’ve ever pull in my entire life.

Well…
You asked.

:worship::worship: Well done, sir! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

55 Chevy Nomad
Frame-off restored
With all suspension and drivetrain replaced with modern running gear.
A/C & sound system installed and better seats.

Kind’a like this…

55nomad.jpg

Except painted white over sea-foam green (no flames)
And lowered about an inch but no more than that.

That’d be the daily driver.

Is that a rear-facing tailgunner seat in the back? My brothers and I would fight over those.

The weekend - nice weather - cursin’ with the top down - ride would be one of these…

a91836d16e78b53897a6f090d7321191.jpg

(but of course I’d also gladly have the Woody sitting across the way in that picture as well)

I could insert all sorts of DIS-unfriendly comments here, but I'll have to leave it at that.

I have a plan for a road trip loop heading up the Delmarva toward Philly and returning via Baltimore & DC. But I’m not certain when I can implement that one.

This is your conscience: Do it!

Do you intend to stop traveling - or worse - stop writing about it?

Never! At least, as long as circumstances allow.

Depends…
I’ll have to see what y’all do with the end of the current trip.
Other than that, I’ve tossed out plenty of non sequitur suggestions over time.
I suspect, you’ll get to the good ones at some point.

Well, now you know!

Details…

That and that just being there plain flat out makes me happy.

Simple. Direct. I like it.

Let me know if she wants any underwater pics for class.

I'll have to ask when they're studying Florida!

Well hi there!!! It's been a while since I've actually posted a reply, but I've been lurking. Wish I'd lurked earlier to know you were going to be in my state, I would've come say hi!

Welcome back! Sorry I missed you in the Carolinas. Did you see me wave?

Any of the 80s comedies: Better Off Dead, My Cousin Vinny, etc., Steel Magnolias, the Disney version of Three Musketeers (live action, not animated), Beauty and the Beast (both old and new), 101 Dalmations (animated). Just to name a few

Ah, My Cousin Vinny. That movie just kills me every time.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, the entire Harry Potter series, the Bride Quartet series by Nora Roberts, Realityland by David Koenig, and Five Point Play by Mike Krzyzewski

Out of all of those books, I've ready one Harry Potter book. I guess I should start googling.

Iguazu (or Iguacu) Falls. It's the top of my bucket list.

That would be a great one to visit!

Hmmm....to be honest I'm not that big of a prankster. I did once hook a wireless mouse up to my co-workers computer, so that was fun for a couple of days.

So you have that going for you, which is nice.

Audi R8 Spyder
news-2017-r8-spyder-09.jpeg

Good choice!

Ummmm.........next August?? Maybe. Potentially going to be in Maryland.

Really? Whereabouts in MD?

Never. I love your TRs. And your photos are the only ones that load on my work computer.

Well, thank you! You might not feel that way if you couldn't see the photos.

I don't really have an answer for that. Because, to be honest, I don't remember enough. Heck, I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

What were we talking about again?

The attention to detail and the service. The fact that CMs (for the most part, we have run across a few bad apples) are willing to go out of their way to make you happy.

You rarely get treated as well anywhere else.

You know this sentence really got me to thinking. I was not brought up to find good value for the money spent. My parents actually have no sense of cost efficiency, they buy what they want no matter how outrageous it is priced. They won't even recycle cans or bottles for money because they think it's a waste of their energy. I learned about value on my own either as a teenager (when my parents kept impressing on me that my father wasn't getting paid full salary and we had to be mindful, though they weren't. :laughing:) or in college when I had to live on a strict budget.

It's always interesting to see the effects of upbringing. Having to work on a budget teaches you about value real fast! But some people never figure it out.

Yay for Julie! She is going to rock at that job!

I agree! :cheer2:

I don't think I even updated either of my TRs while you were gone. I was gone too, however, I did just post one today, but that's OK cause you're back home now.

And I still haven't caught up with anyone! I'll get to work on that soon.

Geez, that's a hard one, like picking your favorite cat! I'd have to say just about all the animated Disney & Pixar films. Although Caddyshack and Monty Python and the Holy Grail also stick out as clear contenders.

All very solid choices!:thumbsup2

Whatever series I'm currently listening to! Which right now are the Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters.

Can't say I'm familiar with that one.

Disneyland Paris, Montreal, Quebec, New Mexico, Kauai....

Another eclectic list. I'd be happy visiting (or re-visiting) any of those places. I've talked with Julie about Montreal/Quebec being a good "poor man's" European vacation.

No clue. Haven't done pranks since I was a little girl.

Boo.

68 Pontiac Firebird

Nice one!:thumbsup2

Not anytime in the near future. Although we did say that we need to go back to DC again, that's probably the closest we will get for a while. Unless we decide to go to NYC and see some Broadway shows, but we have to win the lottery first for that one.

DC is actually closer to us than NYC. But they're both very do-able day trips.

Of course not!

That's the right answer!

Indiana Jones Ride. Yes you need to come back and this time I will REALLY hook you up!

:hyper: Yes, I really need to right that wrong!

You know, I'm still trying to figure out something special for next year...our 20th anniversary is coming up...

Getting lost in the magic.

Never gets old, does it?

I had no choice, I was so busy off on my own adventures, I didn't have time for misbehaving!

Ok, you're excused this time. How was Colorado?

Yep...every worker needs to know the boss has his/her back.
Which can be hard to come by when said boss is either elected or appointed

You're just taking the time to make it a masterpiece. You can't rush art.
Smileycoffeespit_zps78mxykvg.gif

Better pull up a couch and cancel my appointments.
Wouldn’t waste the time.
Who’d care?

You're quite the rebel there.
I just like to know what someone felt was so dangerous that I needed to be saved from it.

Are there permanent residences in Bora Bora?
Better question: What would such a residence cost?
Even better question: What makes me think I could acquire such disposable funds?

Is that a rear-facing tailgunner seat in the back? My brothers and I would fight over those.
Us too…
It may have been an option at the time, but generally they were configured for additional storage.

I could insert all sorts of DIS-unfriendly comments here, but I'll have to leave it at that.
All right children, settle down…
You’d think that by 5th grade y’all would’ve gotten this foolishness out of your systems.

We’re talking about one of these…
268603335e0a3d60f70f8ca6d128eb49.jpg

This is your conscience: Do it!
The conscience is strong…
The bank account is just a mite stronger.

And employer restrictions are a serious pain in the…

You can always click "unsubscribe". Unless you're too sheepish to ram it down their throats.

I guess I've been more of a lamb than a lion in this case.

There is potential to go bat-guano crazy.

Great! I'll get back to you when I have an idea of what I'm doing...

So this could be a long wait, then.

Seriously, though, I love talking trip planning. Even just throwing ideas at the wall. Feel free to throw out ideas here or PM me or whatever.

You have limitless amounts of limits. Got it.

Precisely. There's no limit to what I can't do.

I thought I could send some too... but it's American locations she's looking for, correct?

Yes, I believe the 4th grade curriculum is U.S. geography, but I'll ask her if it expands at all. It would make sense if the rest of North America was included as well.

The DIS won't allow a list of that length.

Well, Close Encounters was a good start.

Fair warning, he's hard SF. But... his best known/prize winning novel is Ringworld. You couldn't go wrong starting with that.

I'll look it up. Thanks for the tip! I'm always looking for another good read.

By the way, I looked up the cost to ship Unbroken up to you. UPS wanted $87. :scared1: So...I'll hold onto it in case we meet up sometime.

I'd add in those too. Except maybe Germany. I've seen so much of it already, been several times (Dad was born and raised there.)

There's a lot in Germany that interests me--I'm sure it's worth the trip for someone who's never seen it, right?

Dang it! And now I can't remember it!

:sad2:

Here's my thinking. Give me a $3Million dollar car... I'll drive it for a bit, just to see... then sell it and use the cash to buy a car I can actually use and a whole lot of other stuff.

I can definitely understand that. Just give me a taste of what it can do...

DC. But it's just a layover. Not even sure how many hours it is. Overnight, I think? Pretty sure I come in on the 21st and fly out on the 22nd.

So where are you ultimately headed? Is it through Dulles? That's on the opposite side of DC from me.

I'll send you a PM.

Yeah, that gets a bit pricey.

These kids really cramp my style.

Yes! All of that, too!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter