A magical RCG and SBP Disneyland wedding: Wedding Day posts: Castle Shoot and Video!!

The day before our wedding is pretty hazy to me as well. We had originally planned to use the day before the wedding as a park day to spend time with any guests in town who wanted to do the parks with us. As it turned out, most of our out of town guests were getting in Saturday (the day before the wedding) and were either going to do the parks on Sunday before the wedding or Monday after the wedding. Thus, we ended up spending the day with Diana's parents instead.

We woke up nice and early on Saturday so we could take advantage of the early morning magic hours. However, prior to the parks, we had breakfast scheduled at Goofy's Kitchen with Diana's parents. They had never done a character meal before, and Diana's mom is a huge fan of the characters, so it was a fun time for her. Before we were seated to eat, we took this wonderful picture with Goofy

Goofys_Kitchen2.jpg

A running theme with Diana's parents/family is it is nearly impossible to get them all to focus on the same point and look in the same direction for a picture. Also, they tend to give what I have fondly dubbed "the Colombian smile" (and what Diana's Tia's have teasingly told us is their great secret to maintaining wrinkle-free faces). I promise they are happy and excited even if their faces do not convey it! Once the picture was done, we had a great time eating tasty food and interacting with the characters.

After breakfast, we made our way over to the parks. Right before our wedding, Disneyland had switched to a fastpass based system for Fantasmic. While we did not have the opportunity to see Fantasmic that evening due to the rehearsal, a couple of Diana's relatives wanted to see it, so we offered to get them fastpasses for the show that evening. Well, Diana's parents wanted to see World of Color after the rehearsal that evening. We figured acquiring the fastpasses for World of Color was pretty straightforward, so we sent Diana's parents off to DCA with very clear instructions of where the fastpasses were located and how to acquire them with a plan to meet back up at the front of DCA after all fastpasses were obtained.

It took Diana and I a little over 10 minutes to get into Disneyland, get the Fantasmic fastpasses, and get back over to DCA (I don't believe in leisurely walking :P). We expected to find Diana's parents calmly waiting at the front of the park for us and to head on our way for the day. Oh how I couldn't be more wrong. We literally walked into DCA just in time to see Diana's dad nearly get hit by the trolley as he was frantically running around Buena Vista Street. As soon as he saw us, he rushed over in a complete panic because he lost Diana's mom, and for whatever reason, he had her cellphone as well as his. We left them alone for 10 minutes and they managed to lose each other.

As it turns out, Diana's mom had asked to borrow a kind soul's phone to call Diana's dad. The only problem was, she basically told Diana's dad to come and get her without bothering to say where she was. Diana and I quickly devised a plan to locate her mom, and thankfully, we located her in a couple minutes hanging out near the Radiator Springs Racers fastpass distribution center. The rest of the day sailed on rather smoothly. Diana and her dad rode rides while I just kind of lurked around the parks and internally debated if the gentle rocking motion of the Storybook boats would be any worse than a car going over a speed bump for my concussion (for the record, the only thing I road the entire trip was the Mark Twain boat around the river's of america and that was done sitting firmly on a bench). We came across one of my friends who flew into town for the wedding and briefly said hi while she was waiting in line for Pirates. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the hotel and get ready for our rehearsal!

It is probably important to note here that we had absolutely no reception in our hotel room. In my scrambled brain state, it never occurred to me to pass on our hotel room and number to the essential people so they could reach me. As a result, I spent a large chunk of my relax before the rehearsal time fighting with my cell phone to try and enable the wifi calling so I could wrangle the necessary people for the rehearsal (it would not stay connected to the hotel internet unless I kept the browser open on my phone). Everyone eventually got the information they needed to get to the rehearsal, but I wish I had been able to think clearly because the whole phone debacle before the rehearsal was a small glimpse into what the next day would be like for me.

Prior to the rehearsal we had a dinner with our "Best Man" (my 13 year old cousin) and my dad at Tortilla Jo's. It was super tasty and nice to sit down for a while. Our rehearsal was held in the Rose Court Garden, and we were able to meet our wonderful day of coordinator, Herta (LOVED HER!!). Since we did not have a bridal party, everything was pretty easy and straightforward (or it should have been). Parents, our best man with the rings, and then us. Our dads were walking down the aisle one by one by themselves. All our dads had to do was walk to the middle of the entrance of the aisle, turn, and walk down. All three of them kept cutting the corner to turn (I guess it looks weird to guests if they do that when they enter). I think most of the rehearsal was spent teaching them how to enter for the ceremony. Once they kind of understood what they were supposed to do, everything from there was relatively quick and we were done before we knew it.

Once again, after such a long day, I was quite tired and decided that bed would be my best option. Diana and I didn't want to see each other until our first look on the day of our wedding, so she came back to our room, packed up her essential belongings for the next morning, and headed to stay in a friend's room for the night. Almost at the wedding!

Another castle pic to share!

Renee_Diana_528.jpg

popcorn:: We're almost to the wedding! I can't wait!!!

And man, that sounds like a stressful start to the day. Glad that the rest of the day (and rehearsal) went more smoothly.

popcorn:: We're almost to the wedding! I can't wait!!!

And man, that sounds like a stressful start to the day. Glad that the rest of the day (and rehearsal) went more smoothly.

The whole incident with Diana's parents is so typical that it really was just hilarious.

I have so many wedding day pictures! I may end up needing to split up the post across multiple posts just to share my favorites haha.

Your poor in laws. LOL Yea that would have been my mother.

Thanks on your off topic response. I hope she comes around too.

Oh my goodness, the photos you've teased are just STUNNING!

How does one lose their spouse that quickly in DCA? It's not that big! Bahaha at least you got a funny story out of it.

Now........wedding day!!! We're so close, I can't wait to see it!

Oh my goodness, the photos you've teased are just STUNNING!

How does one lose their spouse that quickly in DCA? It's not that big! Bahaha at least you got a funny story out of it.

Now........wedding day!!! We're so close, I can't wait to see it!

Thank you!! We ended up with so many phenomenal pictures. I was truly impressed. I can't wait to share more!

I do not know how they lost each other so fast. I never quite got how that happened out of them. Sadly, that was not the only time they lost each other on the trip. It was also not the only time they lost each other with Diana's dad holding her mom's phone too.

I'm hoping I can get the wedding day up soon. I got a new job and start in a week and a half, so there is currently a bit of chaos in my life. I will post it though!

I'm just joining in but I wanted to say so far that the few pictures you do have are beautiful and you and your wife look gorgeous! Seriously, it's making me regret that me and my wife didn't have a real 'wedding' cause you look that fab.

I did laugh about your in-laws losing one another in DCA because the picture of it in my mind is too funny.

I'm just joining in but I wanted to say so far that the few pictures you do have are beautiful and you and your wife look gorgeous! Seriously, it's making me regret that me and my wife didn't have a real 'wedding' cause you look that fab.

I did laugh about your in-laws losing one another in DCA because the picture of it in my mind is too funny.

Thank you!! Glad to have you following along :) Chelsea from Fuse Hair and Beauty really did an amazing job making us look super fantastic. We nearly skipped out on the Disney wedding ourselves, and we so are glad we didn't now. Always time to plan an save for an eventual Disney VR (I know we'll be doing one eventually LOL) ;) Celebrating with Disney is always an amazing time. Highly recommend it.

Yeah. My in-laws. When I think about that incident, the memory somehow shifts to an old black and white silent film on fast forward... ha. They are quite comical from their antics.

Wedding Day: Part 1

I'm finally at sharing our wedding day! I'm getting there yay! One day I will finish this...

The morning of our wedding I woke up sometime between 7 AM and 8 AM before my alarm (of course). I am not a morning person at all, but I just could not sleep any more because I was so excited!! Our hair and makeup person, Chelsea, was not scheduled to arrive until 10:30AM, so I spent the morning puttering around alone and relaxing until she arrived. I'm extremely introverted and purposefully made sure I would have some quiet time the morning of our wedding so I could gather my energy for the evening. While waiting for Chelsea to arrive, I grabbed some super tasty breakfast from Tangaroa Terrace, did a little reading, and some general tidying up/re-arranging the room to get it ready for photos and video later. A little while after I finished my breakfast, housekeeping arrived. Since we were getting ready in the rooms, I was really happy that housekeeping came by and would make the room look perfect. So I vacated the room for a little while and did some exploring around the hotel.

Found this displayed downstairs in the lobby:

Wedding_board.jpg

That is our wedding!!! :D When Diana and I were discussing what we wanted to wear, we both knew we wanted to be really comfortable. While we were wandering around the parks a while before our wedding, we noticed the nice, thick Mickey and Minnie slippers. Clearly, we had to wear those!! Before the wedding we picked up a pair of the Mickey and a pair of the Minnie. Naturally, I had to have the Minnie slippers, so I spent the morning wandering around in them. They are amazing completely engulf your feet in sweet comfort. Absolutely perfect since I would be torturing my poor feet all night in heels.

slippers.jpg

Look! No feet! So much comfort! I absolutely adore these slippers post-wedding as well (though my dogs think I'm wearing toys on my feet >.<). While downstairs, I took the opportunity to contact my hair and makeup person and found out she was a little behind schedule due to traffic. EEK!! We also made the decision that since my room received a lot of natural light that rather than going to one room and then the other to get us ready that she would just set-up in my room to do hair and makeup for Diana and me at different times. This also meant that Diana's mom would be getting her hair and makeup done in my room as well. This made me a little worried since she doesn't really speak English and I don't speak Spanish, and we wouldn't have Diana available to communicate for her since we were now doing all the getting ready in my room. I crossed my fingers she wouldn't be too late and made my way back up to my room to finish getting everything settled for the day.

Just before 10:30 Diana's mom arrived with Diana's dad. Diana was kind enough to get him to come and translate! A few minutes after that, Chelsea made it! She immediately got to work getting Diana's mom ready. I know Diana's mom was a little nervous about having professional hair and makeup done since she is very particular about how it is done, but Chelsea is so amazing. Even though Diana's mom has a really limited ability to communicate in English, Chelsea worked really hard to make a connection with her and make sure she was happy with her look. Diana's mom left smiling and happy with her look. As Chelsea was finishing up Diana's mom, my mom arrived and also complained about traffic getting to the hotel. This started to make me a little nervous since we had a lot of guests driving in from the area, and Disney runs a tight schedule.

With my mom came our bouquets!! I'm kicking myself because I don't have pictures of just them! My mom loves flowers and has a pretty good eye, so she made our bouquets for us and they came out fantastic! They were exactly the size we wanted them to be. I need to dig and find a shot with them in it to share before they are so wonderful. While my mom had her hair and makeup done, I put some pins we had bought on the handles of our bouquets. Diana had a Dug pin (for our dog Dug who passed away a few months before our wedding) as well as the gift pin/charm from DFTW on her bouquet. Last minute, a close friend of ours asked if Diana had a "something borrowed," and since she didn't, she lent Diana a ruby pin for her bouquet. I had a Minnie pin (for our dog Minnie who also passed away a few months before our wedding) and also put the DFTW gift pin/charm on my bouquet.

Before I knew it, it was my turn to get ready. After my preview I noticed the ends of the bottom layer of my hair uncurled faster than the rest, so Chelsea wanted to let my hair set for as long as she could. As a result, she was going to start my hair, do Diana's hair and makeup, and then finish my hair and makeup. She had Diana show up at 12:30, just as she was finishing getting my hair prepped. I really didn't want to see Diana before the wedding at all. Unfortunately, she ran just a little behind schedule so just as I was getting ready to leave, Diana was showing up. And what an entrance Diana made.

I had expected Diana to knock on the door to come in to make sure everything was clear. Nope. She just stumbled into the room and basically immediately fell to the floor cradling a bottle of wine she was struggling to get open. Apparently our friend (the one she had stayed with the night before) took her to Trader Sam's to get a drink to calm her down (neither of us really likes putting our relationship on display and apparently this was Diana's solution to dealing with the anxiety). Diana ordered the strongest drink on the menu. She gets buzzed off of one beer normally. My wife-to-be was exceptionally intoxicated 4.5 hours from the start of our ceremony. While I was less than pleased, I could not help but laugh at her antics. There she was on the floor struggling with this bottle of wine and exclaiming "I need help opening this!!" My mom, completely unfazed by Diana, kindly told her "Honey, maybe that is a sign you shouldn't have any more to drink." Thank you mom for making sure I would have a sober bride for the ceremony!

I skedaddled out of the room and went back to wandering around the grounds until Diana was done. During this time I decided to make a little stop to see our ceremony location!!

Ceremony_setup.jpg

Getting all pretty for the evening! Found this sign too!

wedding_sign.jpg

I also took this opportunity to make some phone calls to a few key people driving up to let them know that there had been some traffic, so plan a little extra time to get to the hotel. I was going to get lunch at this point, but I had left my wallet upstairs :( Oops. Oh well! A little while later, some friends of ours showed up and I spent some time with them while watching the clock tick by and becoming increasingly anxious. I didn't hear from my hair and makeup person until 2:00 to come back up at 2:30. I was supposed to be done and ready to any last minute touch ups by 2:30. Our ceremony started promptly at 5. Will my hair and makeup be done in time?! Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn.

Another picture from our castle shoot!

Renee_Diana_575.jpg

Ahh, cliff hanger! :p That's a beautiful picture from your castle shoot! I love the Minnie slippers, too. Can't wait to see more.

Noooo a cliff hanger! I need more! (And more pictures of you and Diana!) I love that you kept stumbling across little bits of your wedding day, like the ceremony and the call board with all your events. So cute!!

Awwww poor Diana's nerves! Although that does paint a funny picture I hope she felt alright (both in terms of BAC and anxiety!) by the time of the ceremony!

A www, love those slippers! That picture from the castle shot is amazing! It looks like you have a true fairytale wedding. Can't wait to see more.

Ahh, cliff hanger! :p That's a beautiful picture from your castle shoot! I love the Minnie slippers, too. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks! Yeah I have a TON of pictures, so I'm trying to break up the posts to share as many as I can for the wedding day and castle shoot so I don't end up with one absolutely massive post haha. Our photographers really gave us so many wonderful pictures.

Noooo a cliff hanger! I need more! (And more pictures of you and Diana!) I love that you kept stumbling across little bits of your wedding day, like the ceremony and the call board with all your events. So cute!!

Awwww poor Diana's nerves! Although that does paint a funny picture I hope she felt alright (both in terms of BAC and anxiety!) by the time of the ceremony!

Thank you :) Don't worry, there are many, many more pictures of us coming. And possibly a few videos LOL. Once I have time to sit down and write the posts... A new job is taking up A LOT of my time right now. Thankfully, Diana was perfectly fine for the ceremony. She apparently left quite the impression on the bartender because we ran into him after the reception as he was leaving his shift and he totally remembered her from earlier that afternoon.

A www, love those slippers! That picture from the castle shot is amazing! It looks like you have a true fairytale wedding. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you! I hope I can get another post up soon. So many pictures! Those slippers are really magical. I'm considering acquiring a lifetime stash of them because they are that amazing.

Here is another castle shot because I have way too many to share in one post:

Renee_Diana_643.jpg

I just listened to you guys' episode of the Disney Wedding Podcast! Diana did a fantastic job on there, it really sounds like you guys did your homework! I haven't heard a lot of info about Disneyland weddings before so it was really interesting to hear about their process.

Annnnd of course I'm enjoying the recap here! So sorry to hear you were still really feeling the effects of the concussion but it seems like the day itself was quite largely clear of your rather unique luck (except of course that one thing I won't spoil!) I love the part about Diana stumbling into the room struggling with the wine bottle, settling nerves while staying on the right side of intoxication can certainly be a bit of a tightrope sometimes!

Oh & your room sounds amazing, I know Jess has wanted to stay in a park view room for about as long as she can remember knowing they exist - what a perfect and well earned sprinkling of pixie dust that was. Especially after everything that happened in the lead up. Looking forward to reading the rest - once you get a chance to post it around your crazy schedule!

I just listened to you guys' episode of the Disney Wedding Podcast! Diana did a fantastic job on there, it really sounds like you guys did your homework! I haven't heard a lot of info about Disneyland weddings before so it was really interesting to hear about their process.

Annnnd of course I'm enjoying the recap here! So sorry to hear you were still really feeling the effects of the concussion but it seems like the day itself was quite largely clear of your rather unique luck (except of course that one thing I won't spoil!) I love the part about Diana stumbling into the room struggling with the wine bottle, settling nerves while staying on the right side of intoxication can certainly be a bit of a tightrope sometimes!

Oh & your room sounds amazing, I know Jess has wanted to stay in a park view room for about as long as she can remember knowing they exist - what a perfect and well earned sprinkling of pixie dust that was. Especially after everything that happened in the lead up. Looking forward to reading the rest - once you get a chance to post it around your crazy schedule!

I'm glad you enjoyed the podcast! Carrie is a trooper for putting up with all my dithering on. Diana even said I did so much talking lol. There is just so much information with Disneyland weddings and it is so hard to find public information about the process. I'm thankful Carrie does the podcasts and she was kind enough to include our experience. Hopefully it helps others!

Unique luck!! I've never heard it put so nicely, but yes our luck is definitely unique (as I sit here typing this in a dentist chair to take care of tooth that needs to be re-root candles two years after I had it taken care of). I'm just so so thankful that my concussion was not so bad that it robbed me onlf my memories on my wedding day. I hope I can finish up the recap in the next few weeks and get all my pictures up here. There are so many of them!

If you and Jess can ever do a park view at the Disneyland Hotel, I highly recommend it. It is so nice being able to see the fireworks from the room.

Here is another photo from the day after our wedding!

image.jpg

Wedding Day: Part 2

Lots of pictures in this post! Here we go!

I returned back up to my room with my friends after 2:30 to finish getting my hair and make up done only to find out Diana was still not finished with her hair and makeup. So we lurked down the hall and waited. And waited. Eventually, our photo and video people showed up to start documenting the day, and at that point I knew it was getting really late since they were not scheduled to be there until 3. I talked with them briefly and they assured me they were a little early and they were going to collect some detail shots, so that calmed my panic a bit, but at that point I already knew most of our pre-ceremony photos were not happening and we were likely going to miss all of our pre-reception so we could get more pictures.

A series of our detail shots:

A little while later, my friend popped out of the room to tell me to hide because Diana was done and about to exit the room. Finally! My turn for hair and makeup!

Diana after her hair and makeup before she put on her dress:

I hopped into the chair and at that point chose to focus on the fact I was getting married super soon and not on what was not running according to schedule. I had fun chit chatting with our hair and makeup person as she finished me up. My parents really started to annoy me at this point because my dad decided to be a child and refused to even be anywhere near my mother, and due to lack of cell reception I could not reach the man to let him know when my mom left the room. SO periodically when there was a ruckus about him being back, and I would dash out of my hair and makeup chair to try and get him to not leave. This is the point where I wish I had remembered I had a functioning phone in the hotel room I could have used to get ahold of someone to help coordinate my parent issue. Super, super annoying.

Me getting all prettied:

At some point the photographer left me to go take pictures of Diana. Apparently she was getting in her dress and putting her jewelry on. She had both her parents help her into her dress, and apparently there was a moment of panic that her dress did not fit because her dad was struggling with the zipper and saying the dress was too tight. Eventually they got the dress on and zipped (it fit perfect)!

They also collected Diana's letter she wrote me that we read on camera too at this point and headed back to me getting ready. At this point it was at least 4 PM and I still wasn't even in my dress. When the photographer came back, I was in the middle of writing my letter to Diana, which they promptly had me read for the camera. Just to give you an idea of how a standard room at the Disneyland Hotel looks for something like this:

It was pretty crowded. Right before I started writing my letter, my cousin who was serving as our shared best man showed up with my Aunt in tow looking for assistance in tying the bowtie for Mikey. I was so flustered with everything going on, I'm pretty sure I was fairly short with them and basically told them to go away and figure it out (I think I was a little nicer than that in my phrasing though). There were too many people in the room, my head was spinning from my concussion, and I was frustrated that they did not listen to my direction to find a youtube video and figure it out before the wedding. Well they went away for about 5 minutes before returning. Thankfully, my mom ushered them into the bathroom where they were out of my hearing/line of sight so I could focus on getting the letter done and into my dress.

We finally finished the letter writing and got me in my dress at 4:30 and documented that process. So much documentation and staging on the wedding day to get all kinds of shots. I didn't realize quite how much of okay let's re-do that and get another picture in the getting ready process there is. Once I was in my dress, it was time to get my jewelry on, including my earrings.

Finally hitting me I am in my wedding dress. I am almost getting married!

It was at this point that I found out it had been so long since I had worn earrings, that my holes hard partially closed (or dramatically shrunk). So here is a picture of me basically re-piercing my ear lol:

At this point, we were getting pretty darn close to the start of our ceremony, and that only means one thing: time for the first look! I was so, so excited for this part. I couldn't believe that after 5 months of furious planning, we were finally going to start to see our wedding unfold. Diana and I had a really hard time coming up with a first look location because I didn't like the idea of one of us walking up to the other and wanted to be able to capture everything together. While getting ready, Diana made the executive decision we were going to have our first look outside the Adventure Tower by the sign. She picked so well. I'm so pleased with how the moment unfolded.

When I got downstairs, Diana was already waiting on her side of the sign. Our planner Michiel met me and told me to close my eyes so she could walk me into position without seeing Diana. So there I was standing with Diana a mere foot away from me on the other side of a sign, and I couldn't see her. Our photographers, video, planner, DOC, and parents could see both of us, but we couldn't see each other. I was so anxious at this point. I had spent almost a full 24 hours without really seeing or talking to Diana and I was DYING TO SEE HER. Finally, someone told us to reach our hands out and hold hands. So close!! And then after a moment they told us to go ahead and peek around, and Oh. My. God!!! I was so stunned with how gorgeous Diana looked and how everything came together for her. It was just perfect. She was perfect. After a few moments of oohing and ahhing over each other, we hugged and then had a small little conversation. Diana nearly cried, especially when I asked her how she liked the bracelet I gave her (the one she was wearing at that point) and we had to take a couple of deep breaths to calm her down so we didn't ruin all the pretty makeup before the ceremony.

The first look revealed:

Next up: The ceremony!

First of all - you did a smashing job on the podcast!! I was so excited when I recognized your names!

What a wonderful update!!! Your first look is seriously one of the best ones I've seen - the emotion on your faces is just beaming through my computer :D I love how you found a spot where you could surprise each other, and I got goosebumps just imagining you walking over with eyes closed - so close! I can't wait for more wedding!!

First of all - you did a smashing job on the podcast!! I was so excited when I recognized your names!

What a wonderful update!!! Your first look is seriously one of the best ones I've seen - the emotion on your faces is just beaming through my computer :D I love how you found a spot where you could surprise each other, and I got goosebumps just imagining you walking over with eyes closed - so close! I can't wait for more wedding!!

Thank you!! I really hope other couples planning a wedding at Disneyland find some of the information useful.

Our first look photos are some of our favorites. The whole moment was just so amazing and so wonderful. We love that C&B did such a phenomenal job of capturing it. I do have to admit, I spend more time than I probably should looking at those pictures and reliving the moment haha. I'm hoping I can get the ceremony/reception up soon and maybe link our videos. I need to double check Diana is okay with sharing those too.

Finally made it through your updates! Those pics of yours are soooo incredibly beautiful (I think my favorite so far is the one in front City Hall, your dresses compliment each other's so great).
I'm sorry to hear that the whole day until your First Look was so stressful, but I'm glad that it was able to calm you both! Can't wait to hear more! (And I'm terribly sorry that I mixed up your names over in my thread - I'm terrible with names in everyday life, but getting to know so many people in such a short time on the DIS with nicknames and all makes it worse…)

Thank you! Yes we are quite pleased that we were able to find two white dresses that complemented each other so well and did not compete with each other. No worries about the names! I'm so god awful with names, so I completely understand. Yeah I wasn't surprised things were chaotic, but I am super thankful nothing disastrous happened day of the wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter