A Newbie's Guide to Orlando International Airport

His response was 'Well, you sure look like a family to me', to which I responded with 'Really? We are, but look at that...my child is ready for the conveyor belt, shoes and jacket off, her bag emptied of it's 3-1-1 bag and on the belt.' He said we were a family and shouldn't be holding up the line for the experienced traveler.

Too funny! I know exactly what you mean, our kids (now in their 20's) were flying with us from the beginning starting at less than a year old for both of them, thanks to our widely spread out family. I don't remember how many Christmas days we spent trying to get somewhere to visit relatives. Going through an unfamiliar airport is like walking to the corner store to them, just automatic. No matter how they travel, their bag is always packed as if it were a carry on bag for air travel.

Anyway, I met the ultimate junior traveller while waiting for a long delayed flight in Denver. He was maybe 10 at the time and his knowledge of airline operations and travelling alone was just startling. He was flying as an unaccompanied minor from Denver to Orlando because his parents were divorced and he spent 2 weeks with one and then back for 2 weeks with the other. Kind of felt sorry for him but admired how well adjusted he seemed and for his confidence chatting with adult strangers in a busy airport.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but if you download the American Airlines app, it has various terminal map diagrams and MCO-Orlando airport is one of them. I think it is an excellent map and shows you where everything is. Download the American and United apps both have terminal diagrams, for most if not all of their major hubs.

Am I the only one who thinks that the security check part of MCO is very un smooth and kind of a pain? Lol. I have been in many airports, some much more busy than MCO, and I swear it always feels like a chaotic area.
I fly pretty often (Delta Platinum Medallion) and get Pre-Check almost all the time. MCO is my home airport so I've got a lot of experience with it. I think the "problem" is mostly that so many of the travelers you encounter in the regular TSA lanes are first-time or once ever couple of years flyers and don't know the routine, which slows down everything.

I can see first time fliers being somewhat of an issue, but I just feel like the entire security checkpoint area is a disorganized and improperly run unit. Once you get your boarding pass and id checked, its like a fight for your spot in the (seemingly never ending) back and forth line to the metal detectors.

My question is...

My Mom finds it difficult to walk.. I know its a long walk to get the magical express.... Is there a wheelchair we can use to get to the express.. I have rented a scooter to be delivered to the resort.

My question is...

My Mom finds it difficult to walk.. I know its a long walk to get the magical express.... Is there a wheelchair we can use to get to the express.. I have rented a scooter to be delivered to the resort.
Yes, you can have a wheelchair meet you at the gate and bring you to DME. This is something you arrange with your airline when you check in.

Yes, you can have a wheelchair meet you at the gate and bring you to DME. This is something you arrange with your airline when you check in.
Thanks! I will look into arranging this for her, she is almost 80! This will be her 1st trip to Disney! Our DD #2 is also in a wheelchair but she brings her own. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Okay, I hate to revive a dead thread but I need guidance if at all possible.

Our Jet blue flight arrives at 910pm on Airside 1, Terminal A.

My mom's Delta flight arrives at 940pm on Airside 4, Terminal B.

Our driver will meet us at the level 2 information desk nearest mom's baggage claim area.

Would my best bet be to leave my husband and son in the food court to wait on my mom, run down to level 2 terminal A, and grab our checked bag then return to the food court on Level 3 to meet up with everyone so they can claim their luggage and meet the driver who is transporting our whole group?

Because terminal A and B baggage claims are completely separate correct? Like no cross overs?

Okay, I hate to revive a dead thread but I need guidance if at all possible.

Our Jet blue flight arrives at 910pm on Airside 1, Terminal A.

My mom's Delta flight arrives at 940pm on Airside 4, Terminal B.

Our driver will meet us at the level 2 information desk nearest mom's baggage claim area.

Would my best bet be to leave my husband and son in the food court to wait on my mom, run down to level 2 terminal A, and grab our checked bag then return to the food court on Level 3 to meet up with everyone so they can claim their luggage and meet the driver who is transporting our whole group?

Because terminal A and B baggage claims are completely separate correct? Like no cross overs?
I would go, with everyone, right down to baggage claim, Side A, and get your bags. Then, return to level 3 (where you arrived at when getting off the tram) and wait for your mother there. With there being 30 mins between arrivals, you'll have plenty of time to get your bags and return to the main terminal area. Then, you can meet up with your mom, and then go down to level 2, Side B to get her bags and meet your driver.

Have TSA lines become more efficient since the craziness reported this summer. I traveled as single parent with 2 kids in fall 2014 and this spring with no issues. Since then have seen lots of summer reports of TSA nightmares causing people to be late. I'm solo relying on DME this trip. Will I be in good shape?

Just flew through MCO twice this month, but with pre-check. Didn't notice particularly long lines at the regular security queues though.

Has anyone been to the USO at MCO yet? Is it outside of security? The articles I've found have stated it is on A side, and we're flying out of B side, so if it is past security, we won't bother. Thanks!

Has anyone been to the USO at MCO yet? Is it outside of security? The articles I've found have stated it is on A side, and we're flying out of B side, so if it is past security, we won't bother. Thanks!
Haven't been there but don't get confused by A & B sides of the building. Take a look at the actual map and you'll see that A & B only represent two sides of the same main terminal building. Security is at the very end of of the building just before you get on the trams to go to the satellite terminals where the planes are.

A tale of caution going through MCO security unless things have changed (doubt it though)
In early 2010 a group of us were traveling together Mom, Dad, Aunt, Sis, Bro, SIL, Niece, Nephew, DD age 2, DD age 4 ( turned 5 on our first full day at WDW), DH and Myself. Somehow Aunt, Sis, Bro, SIL, Niece and Nephew ended up in one line and the rest of us in another. The plan was to have My parents go through security first then send 5 year old through to Grandma while I kept 2 year old from taking off and DH took the carseat off the luggage rack. DH would go through security in order to put the carseat back on the luggage rack and secure it really quick while 2 year old went through security and then I would follow.
Here comes the snafu
Mom and Dad both having had double knee surgery plus Dad having a metal rod in his arm well you can guess set off the security alarm. They had to go and sit in a waiting area. 5 year old goes through security and my mom goes to the door of the little glass room to have her barely 5 year old granddaughter stand right there. Sit down, that child needs to be else where. Meanwhile DH and I are landside and both my mom and I are begging them to let her just stand right near the door and my mom on the other side. No absolutely not. My mom hollars from the door at my sister to come back and help. My sister and Aunt were together so they step to the side and my aunt stays with both their carry on luggage while my sister runs back to take my daughter until DH can get through. By then 2 year old is crying so my sister stayed and held her while DH finished getting her carseat set on the luggage rack.
The really funny or annoying thing is we were told by a TSA agent at our local airport that if there is an adult and you are sending adult child, adult child, adult through even if the adult needs additional screening they can still have the child with them until the other adult gets through security. We were also told that because my parents would need additional screening they should go through first.
Due to our having a 7:20 AM flight which by the number of internationals on DME I am guessing there are a lot of international departures at that time we had a DME departure time of 4 AM from the resort ( thank you sister for this one I have discovered there are later flights and trust me they will be utilized) we had plenty of time to get through security and to the gate ( where we sat and waited, and waited, and for a change of pace waited some more) we would have been fine sending DH through and then me followed by both girls and my parents. We also would have been better off having my aunt and sister go through the side with us due to the complications instead of ending up being split. I am guessing since my brother and SIL fly quite a bit going to various Nascar races and stuff so they are more used to going through so they went through the frequent traveler line instead of the family one like we did.

The really funny or annoying thing is we were told by a TSA agent at our local airport that if there is an adult and you are sending adult child, adult child, adult through even if the adult needs additional screening they can still have the child with them until the other adult gets through security. We were also told that because my parents would need additional screening they should go through first.
Sounds like a terrible experience but it is not the norm at Orlando either. The above is what the regular practice is at Orlando. You got an agent that needed more training.

Sounds like a terrible experience but it is not the norm at Orlando either. The above is what the regular practice is at Orlando. You got an agent that needed more training.

Good to hear because it was extremely frightening having my barely 5 year old on the other side without my husband, parents, or myself right there. I shudder at what could have happened if my sister had not been close enough to get back and step into help. Going through Orlando security was the start of our getting home adventure which involved turning a 2.5 hour layover into a 4 hour layover due to the plane we were supposed to take being down. Had to get another one than wait for a crew due to flight times allowed being too much. To top things off when we took off we didn't know weather wise if we were landing at our airport or another one 5 hours away. Thankfully we were able to land at our airport and made it home where I sat on my couch for just a minute before I was going to start a load of laundry. I ended up falling asleep and did not get up for 15 hours. ( another reason not to take that 7-7:30 am flight bell services is there to get your stuff and take you in the shuttle van at 3:30 AM and I didn't fall asleep till after midnight)

Just to add that we live in Orlando and fly frequently so we are very familiar with the TSA at MCO.

Anybody have a list of Airport area hotels that offer a shuttle service from the airport?

We are flying in late at night and NOT renting a car.

I doubt that there are many that don't offer this service. For those that do, you'll be OK with any of the Marriott or Starwood properties nearby as well as a bunch of the smaller brands. Most are located just north of the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!