A VWL room question.

POOH&PIGLET

I love my DW, DDs, & DVC!
We (wife, now 2 yr. old daughter, & myself) are in the process of planning our second trip to VWL. On our first trip in April 2001, we stayed in a 1BR at VWL for 3 nights when we bought into DVC. We bought more points than we really need to currently use. We bought extra points because our family will grow over the next few years (a girl is expected in January) and we read about people regretting not buying enough points. Our future trips will have 5 or more people so we bought enough points to stay in 2 studios.

We are planning a trip from late Oct. to early Nov. 2002 so we can catsh MNSSHP and the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival. We have banked points from this year. We are deciding between a 1BR and a studio. We may start in a studio ond switch to a 1BR. No matter what we do, we will be banking 2002 points into our 2003 Use Year.

My questions:
(1) How much better is a 1BR compared a studio?
(2) Will we (mom, dad, 3 yr-old, & 10-month old) have enough room in a studio?
(2) Are there any problems to watch out for in switching from a studio to a 1BR mid-trip?

Advanced thanks for anyone who can help! :cool:

I will make this suggestion, since you'll be traveling with small children, I'd DEFINATELY book the one bedroom. You'll most likely find that washer and dryer handy!!!! IT's also nice to have a separate area to retire to after the kids go to sleep, the reason why we bought into DVC. We stayed at VWL on our first trip home in Aug and had a 1 bedroom. We peeked into the studio and it is spacious, it just isn't as spacious as a one bedroom. We really used that washer and dryer often!!! Since points aren't an issue, the one bedroom in my opinion wins hands down!!!

Another bonus to the 1 bedroom is if the kids are sleeping you can still have a room to stay up in for tv, whatever, without disturbing the kids. The full kitchen and w/d are very nice to have also.

I also vote for the 1 bedroom.... there's no comparing the two units... The studio is more like a traditional hotel room... Still nice of course, you have a microwave, coffee maker & small fridge... But your sleeping quarters and living quarters are one in the same....

The 1 bedroom you feel like you are home... having enough room to actually spread out... Once we had our son, and then our daughter, we decided from that point going forward we would always stay in a unit with a washer/dryer... We also like the full kitchen facilities along with the whirlpool tub....

I bet that once you stay in a one bedroom, you will realize that two studios will not do it. You are going to need more points for a two bedroom. One thing I wonder about your plan is this. How long before you will let the kids sleep in a seperate studio? One that is possibly far from yours?

On our first stay, we realized that we wanted to stay together, bring guests and stay together. We bought enough points for a Grand Villa at OKW every year. I just don't think two studios is a very attractive option.

My DH and I made our first trip home to VWL 6 weeks ago and experienced the sheer luxury of a 1 bedroom for just the two of us. It was so much more relaxing and comfortable than we ever imagined. Yes, we could certainly 'make do' with a studio, but now we're spoiled rotten. This is how to REALLY vacation. We found that luxury doesn't always mean fancy or ornate. To us, it now means a lot of wonderful pleasures that we didn't even know we'd value and appreciate. With a washer and dryer in the room, you can do clothes whenever you want (big time saver) and can pack 1/2 as many clothes. With little ones, this should make your life much more pleasant.
Even though we didn't really cook, we used the refrig for beverages, milk, and the freezer for ice, ice cream, etc. And the dishes went in the dishwasher! Again, this seems like a great convenience if you have kids. We could actually bring back leftovers from the restaurant and pick up snacks and sandwich fixings. I used to think that we had to eat out every meal, but it was very nice to be able to fix something simple in the room.
You and your DW will enjoy yourselves so much more if you can put the kids to bed in a separate room (with a TV, if you allow that) and you'll have your own privacy and space and won't have to whisper. And did you know there was a washer and dryer?
If you're planning on 5 or more people in the future, you could look at getting a 2 bedroom that has the ability to 'lock off' the studio. Then you could have your time together when you want, with ALL the benefits of a 1 BR, and still have privacy.

PS Re: switching rooms. It can be time consuming to pack and unpack (guess it's one of those things that irritates me) and there's the potential for a 5 hour block of time when you have no place to call home. How will your kids do? It's certainly possible for them to nap in a stroller, but consider the extra work involved and possible inconvenience. It's do-able, but is it desirable?

I have to add my 2 cents. My wife and I bought enough points to stay in a one bedroom for two years and then a studio the third. We figured that we would just bite the bullet every third year. Then we stayed in the one bedroom and looked at each ohter and said that there just was no way we will go back to a studio, even though we have never stayed in one. It looks like a glorified hotel room. So we bought a small add on. Then my wife found out she was pregnant and we just had our second child in August and we decided it was time to plan more for the future and we bought a lot more points for increased flexibility like a GV once in a while with family or like this year we are taking friends. We will enjoy great spacious living while on vacation and remember you are on vacation, live it up. Get the one bedroom. When my son is older he and my daughter (9 years apart ) will need different rooms and we will need a two bedroom every year and we will have enough points and won't have to worry about it, and have even more space. Have a great time in your home away from home.

I am one of those that wish I had more points. We now have to use the 2 BR (my baby is now 3!!). I say go for the 1 BR especially with little ones. The washer and dryer are a wonderful thing to have. Less packing to do and very convenient. Also, with the 10 month old you have the kitche facilities for heating up formula (if needed) baby food etc.

Looking to add on since we are 5!!!

Good luck with the new baby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter