A WDW Family Follows in Walt's Footsteps: Our First Trip to Disneyland-updated 4/6 (DL Day 3)

That purse that you showed I have the matching wallet LOL. I love it!!
I am jealous, Kelly! I did get a different Minnie Mouse wallet in January at WDW, but it is not as cute as that purse (& presumably your wallet).

And the safe that you took a pic of wasn't sure if you thought the safe was weird or the snow white statue but FYI that used to be a bank of America back in the day. Actually up till the 90's and maybe even early 2000's I can't remember when it switched. I think maybe around the time they changed the orig gallery to the dream suite. But that safe was leftover from the bank.
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that fun history. I LOVE knowing that & I love that Disney retains the history of the park in such special ways like this. :earsboy:

They used to have walt's office in there but moved it to the Disney museum in SF which we have seen and is also very cool and much closer to where we live. :)
Again, I am envious. I have never been to San Francisco and the museum sounds like a good excuse to finally make a stop there. It looks to be very well done.

As for the show itself we love it but that is because for us it is more the nostalgia then the show itself. Kind of like carousel of progress. I had never set foot in the place my entire life until I had kids of my own and maybe cuz mine are girls but they loved it and now it is just a fun nostalgia thing. It is a GREAT place to go when it is hot and we also sit in the very back with the padded seats. But don't worry if it's not your thing.
Good comparison to Carousel of Progress. I like that one and objectively it isn't really amazing. It is great to rest our feet and get out of the sun with no wait, and I like the catchy song. Same kinda thing!

I agree with you on the plaza also. We have done that one and at least in the past it was one of the cheaper character meals and the food is good and the character interaction is good as well.
We just loved it. It will be a must-do next trip!

Look forward to your next installment.
Thanks! It's fun to relive the memories. :goodvibes

Thanks on the wallet. I actually ordered it off the Disney store website lol. I do love it though. My daughter got a wallet at DW this past Dec. It is black with a mini bow and polka dots. It's really cute but we had a hard time finding wallets when we were there. I also wanted a nice license frame for my car. I bought a new one and the one I had on my old car was pretty old. Like 2012. They used to have so many cute ones but I couldn't find ANY at DW. Maybe that trend is going out but I am surprised because I still see a lot of people that like to decorate their vehicles. I could have gotten the DL one but again they don't seem to have much of a selection anymore just the 1 that says the year. Alas I will prob just get the DL version in a few weeks when we go but I wish they would do some more cute ones.

If you have never been to SF you need to go. I live about 90 mins from there so we go all the time but it truly is a beautiful city. It is a peninsula surrounded by the bay and there is the bay bridge as well as the iconic Golden Gate. If you go across that there is the Muir woods (redwoods) and then in the city itself lots to see beside the Disney Museum. There is the Wharf and Coit Tower which if you love History at all is really cool. Inside the tower there are paintings similar to like Diego Rivera. There is Golden Gate park which is beautiful and has the arboretum and japanese tea garden as well as 2 amazing museums, they have a great zoo right by the beach and then of course the Presidio. That was an old Army Post but is now mostly parks but that is where the Disney Museum is which is really well done. They have the regular stuff as well as traveling exhibits. Also fyi George Lucas's offices are there as his Skywalker ranch is in Sonoma which is not too far and there is a yoda statue outside and you may even be able to go into the offices. But you can def see the statue and take pics with it. It is def a fun place to visit.

I'm glad you're still working on your report and again, your boys are so cute! I can't get enough of their Chip and Dale hats! I keep forgetting about my trip report (or getting busy) but I am plugging along. ;-)
I have to agree with you on the Tiki Room. For me, it was a once-do. And I don't care for Dole Whips at all. (Yes! One less line to stand in!) My dad is a big fan of both, though. It feels like wasted time to me to watch that "show..." My kids may never see it!
Another vote for San Francisco! My husband and I went 2 years ago for our 10-year-anniversary and it was awesome! Loved the Walt Disney Family Museum and the Presidio, Golden Gate Park (we rented bikes, which was really fun), the Golden Gate Bridge, and lots of fun dining. There were lots of things we could have still done that we didn't have time for. (We just did about 3 days, since we left 4 littles at home with my mom and sister.)

Love the last update. I remember reading all about dole whips and our first trip to WDW, I had to try one. I got the float (pineapple with pineapple). My daughter got the vanilla soft-serve with pineapple juice and the other 2 opted for root beer floats. I was so embarrassed ordering the root beer floats (not really). Well, I ended up throwing my float away. I liked the vanilla / pineapple better, but would have been much happier with the root beer float.

My mom hated the shows when I was growing up, but I remember that I did see some, but I didn't remember the Tiki Room at all. So, I took my youngest, the other 2 opted for Mr. Lincoln. I did not enjoy it. I was first section by the entrance door, front row. I did see others exit, but I didn't.

I love the look on your son's face on Hyperspace Mountain! Truly priceless.

I also wanted a nice license frame for my car. I bought a new one and the one I had on my old car was pretty old. Like 2012. They used to have so many cute ones but I couldn't find ANY at DW. Maybe that trend is going out but I am surprised because I still see a lot of people that like to decorate their vehicles. I could have gotten the DL one but again they don't seem to have much of a selection anymore just the 1 that says the year. Alas I will prob just get the DL version in a few weeks when we go but I wish they would do some more cute ones.
Sad about the poor selection of license plate frames. (I am planning on a Test Track Mickey antenna topper on our next trip. Nice to bring the magic with you at home.) I am learning now that if I really love something I see I should just get it then and there. For example, I used to see cute luggage tags at many stores, with for example the Genie from Aladdin or Grumpy the dwarf on them. Now they seem to be gone, at least at Disney World... Oh, well. I can use that money for more Mickey waffles or something, I suppose.

If you have never been to SF you need to go. I live about 90 mins from there so we go all the time but it truly is a beautiful city. It is a peninsula surrounded by the bay and there is the bay bridge as well as the iconic Golden Gate. If you go across that there is the Muir woods (redwoods) and then in the city itself lots to see beside the Disney Museum. There is the Wharf and Coit Tower which if you love History at all is really cool. Inside the tower there are paintings similar to like Diego Rivera. There is Golden Gate park which is beautiful and has the arboretum and japanese tea garden as well as 2 amazing museums, they have a great zoo right by the beach and then of course the Presidio. That was an old Army Post but is now mostly parks but that is where the Disney Museum is which is really well done. They have the regular stuff as well as traveling exhibits. Also fyi George Lucas's offices are there as his Skywalker ranch is in Sonoma which is not too far and there is a yoda statue outside and you may even be able to go into the offices. But you can def see the statue and take pics with it. It is def a fun place to visit.
Thanks for the tips about San Francisco! It does look so pretty and clearly there is a ton to see and do. I am hopeful we will get there sometime. My DH has gone several times for work or before we were married. I just never had a specific excuse to go, I suppose... I am recently getting to be more disciplined to allocate some vacation money to places other than Disney World, because the boys (and we adults!) do enjoy seeing other new places. There are so many nice places to see and we love going on a new adventure together. We're considering DL/CA/other west coast area places for our 20th anniversary, so maybe that'll be the time... :idea:

I know what you mean about the luggage tags. I got some really cute plastic ones that you slip the little paper in with the info years ago. I LOVED them and luckily still have quite a few. I also have a really cool nightmare before xmas one that has a metal wire type clasp. I always worry the way the airlines treat luggage that I will lose one and I have in the past. But my girls each got new suitcases for christmas and wanted luggage tags but I didn't like the ones they had that you had to write on the outside. Seems like it would wear off. But you are right about getting something when you see it. I have seen stuff in a shop here or there in the parks and thought oh I will come back and then sometimes you don't make it back and it is not in another shop so you are def right there!!

And yes SF is awesome. Plus we have Yosemite if you like National Parks. I have read a lot of people come and do those 2 as well. And up where we are we have Lake Tahoe which is another big tourist destination.

I agree too on the other travel. We always try to make at least one small trip to DL a year even if just for a few days but we have been taking "other" trips during the summer. We take 10 days to 2 weeks each summer. We did the east coast and mexico a few times, last year we did Nashville, Atlanta and New Orleans and this summer we are headed to the Pacific Northwest and Canada. We are headed to Disneyland in 2 weeks just for the weekend for my daughter's birthday but that will be it for us for this year.

Hi Jaina!... or is it Sara? :)
I'm glad you're still working on your report and again, your boys are so cute! I can't get enough of their Chip and Dale hats! I keep forgetting about my trip report (or getting busy) but I am plugging along. ;-)
Thanks for mentioning your report! You have very cute kiddos yourself. I love the adorable matching shirts, too! So impressed. I like scrapbooking, but am intimidated about trying to make shirts. Anyway, I'll have to dig in and read about your adventures.
I have to agree with you on the Tiki Room. For me, it was a once-do. And I don't care for Dole Whips at all.
Thanks for getting the Dole Whip & Tiki Room thing! So, now I have a new internal struggle: Have you seen the cute new Disney-themed dresses they will be selling at Disney Springs in Disney World and Downtown Disney in Disneyland? There's a super-cute one that is based on the Tiki Room. I feel oddly interested in it, but also fearful. There's a picture here from the Disney Parks blog. It's the green dress in the second photo.

Another vote for San Francisco! My husband and I went 2 years ago for our 10-year-anniversary and it was awesome!
What a nice way to celebrate your big anniversary! Love the idea of renting bikes there, too. Thanks for giving me more fun ideas in the area to tempt me. I know it can be hard to leave the kiddos at home. Good for you for taking the time! ::yes::

Last edited:

So, I took my youngest, the other 2 opted for Mr. Lincoln. I did not enjoy it. I was first section by the entrance door, front row. I did see others exit, but I didn't.
Yeah, it feels kind of mean to leave, so I bet few do even if they aren't fans. I think the Lincoln show is so much better. It's nice that, in my opinion, it really stands the test of time.

I love the look on your son's face on Hyperspace Mountain! Truly priceless.
Aw, thanks! He LOVED that ride. Crazy about it. :dogdance:

Thank you for reading & writing!

Oh, thanks so much. I need to finish the last little bit of my Aulani report! I really am glad it's helpful. Are you planning a trip there soon? You should be!

I am planning a big blowout trip this summer that will start in Aulani and on Kauai and then end in Disneyland. It's what I wanted to do for my 30th birthday (which isn't actually until August, but my boyfriend is a teacher so we can't travel in August due to the school calendar). We are leaving the Friday preceding Memorial Day so I am getting frighteningly close! We are normally WDW people so I absolutely appreciate the compare/contrast of DL/WDW in your report. I know these are a lot of work especially when you have three wonderful kids to look after but the reports are certainly appreciated!

Hi Jaina!... or is it Sara? :)
Thanks for mentioning your report! You have very cute kiddos yourself. I love the adorable matching shirts, too! So impressed. I like scrapbooking, but am intimidated about trying to make shirts. Anyway, I'll have to dig in and read about your adventures.
Thanks for getting the Dole Whip & Tiki Room thing! So, now I have a new internal struggle: Have you seen the cute new Disney-themed dresses they will be selling at Disney Springs in Disney World and Downtown Disney in Disneyland? There's a super-cute one that is based on the Tiki Room. I feel oddly interested in it, but also fearful. There's a picture here from the Disney Parks blog. It's the green dress in the second photo.

What a nice way to celebrate your big anniversary! Love the idea of renting bikes there, too. Thanks for giving me more fun ideas in the area to tempt me. I know it can be hard to leave the kiddos at home. Good for you for taking the time! ::yes::

Haha, it's Sara. Long story short, I found the DIS because I was playing a game called Virtual Magic Kingdom, and I joined under my character's name, Jaina, which was just a name I liked. My interest in it stuck around and now my oldest daughter's name is Jaina. :)
That's hilarious that the emotion you chose was "fearful." :) I think it's cute. I like the Tiki room in theory, mostly because it's part of the old park, but I don't prefer to spend any time there...
My husband and I would like to go to Disney World someday (I've only been once, at a national competition thing when I was 15) but I have zero interest in taking my kids. A) flights for 7 would be way expensive and B) the amount of planning that seems to be needed at WDW intimidates me. The key to surviving a vacation with 5 small children is to plan like crazy but be prepared for nothing to go as planned, and at WDW I think that would give me hives. :scared:

Hello! Discovered your fabulous trip report yesterday and finished reading it all today. Thank you so much for including such great details about your trip. Our first Disneyland trip is this summer and I'm taking careful notes! I look forward to reading about the rest of your amazing trip!

Hello! Discovered your fabulous trip report yesterday and finished reading it all today. Thank you so much for including such great details about your trip. Our first Disneyland trip is this summer and I'm taking careful notes! I look forward to reading about the rest of your amazing trip!

Oh, I have been away too long! I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'm sorry I wasn't of more help by finishing my report before your trip. There's much other useful information on the DISboards though, so I expect you were well prepared. :thumbsup2

It looks like you traveled already & stayed at the Grand Californian. How was it? It looks like a beautiful place to stay. My DH says he'd love to stay there next time.

Oh, I have been away too long! I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'm sorry I wasn't of more help by finishing my report before your trip. There's much other useful information on the DISboards though, so I expect you were well prepared. :thumbsup2

It looks like you traveled already & stayed at the Grand Californian. How was it? It looks like a beautiful place to stay. My DH says he'd love to stay there next time.

I completely understand! The DISboards are extremely helpful and the DISUnplugged Disneyland edition was hands down one of my best resources leading up to our trip. :disrocks: I also randomly met Tom Bell and Tony Spittell from the podcast at White Water Snacks! I couldn't believe it! The Grand Californian was AWESOME! I have always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but the conference we were with assigned us at the Grand Californian. Now I don't know how I'll ever be able to visit Disneyland without staying there. The location cannot be beat. We bounced in and out of our room so easily. Everything was so very convenient.

We just got back from a Fall Break trip to WDW, so now I need to start planning a new trip to somewhere. I see you've been to Aulani!! I need to read your trip report. I think that would be a great next trip to take! :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!