A Year of Disney: Dec 6-7 - My first Solo Trip! (complete)

What a cool find on the pin! Is that the correct spelling too?
Yep! I have one very much like it with the 4 WDW land symbols that I got on my trip there in 1998.

Our first trip to WDW was in 2000. Pin trading was so off the radar to us back then. I was very pleased to find a pin recently to commemorate that trip. It's similar to your pin but no personalization but I'm happy!

It was 10:25 when I entered Disneyland for the first time that day. I was excited to use my Indiana Jones FP, and then get my mobile order at the Bengal BBQ. Sadly, it wasn't nearly as good as a few weeks before! It was medium-well before, and so, so tasty. This time my steak was overdone and just not exciting. :-( I don't know what normal is, but I wish it was that first way, instead of well done!
PENTAW5.jpg

rI7uIQS.jpg

qlAv8lY.jpg

I had also stacked a HSM FP, and used that one after at about 11:20. I was already having motion sickness trouble that day, and was sad about it! I felt quite dizzy at the end of HSM for a minute, and my stomach didn't settle really well afterwards. :P Boo! I still really enjoyed the the ride though! I love that tie fighter at the end that made you feel like you have to duck under! I missed it this last trip since it's back to regular Space Mountain.
UvoOAE5.jpg

It was just after 11:30, and I decided to pay one of my favorite Fantasyland rides, the Carousel! I was at the front of the line, and was watching carefully for my friend, Jingles to come around, and I got there first! However, a little girl that looked about 5 got there just after, and you could tell she was heading for the same horse. I, of course, have ridden Jingles quite a few time, since we are besties, and I let her have this ride. :) She didn't really know who she was, but probably thought she was the prettiest. She and her mom saw me taking this silly selfie right after the ride and I was able to tell them she was the lead horse, and that she was kind of Mary Poppins' horse. The little girl is a big MP fan, so she was excited about that. :)
8n8OPh6.jpg

While I was in a(n unmoving) line for corn dogs (that I gave up on after 15-20 minutes) I quietly stalked the Fresh Baked youtuber dude (whose name I can't remember) who looked like he was checking in at the Plaza Inn maybe. If I hadn't been in line, I might have said hi, but I probably wouldn't have gotten the courage. :)
1yRVhX6.jpg

Aaaand BACK over to CA at 12:15 because I wanted to take advantage of my Disney Visa meet (I love the classic characters!) and I had yet another Guardians FP. I got to meet Pluto! It was so awkward, but I was still excited. :)
GEbJ5s1.jpg

I had a few minutes until my FP was up, so I took some time to check out the cool details in the Spiderman Meet and Greet area. It has so many fun little things there!
zLerVK3.jpg

0MNQl3m.jpg

You would think I had already had my fill of Guardians this trip, but other than the somewhat-pervasive motion sickness I felt like I was dealing with, I don't think I ever get enough of that ride. Definitely my favorite at CA!
A7K7qyj.jpg

GlCY5az.jpg

C3ftCnf.jpg

I was starving, so I put in a mobile order at Flo's for what sounded like a yummy Cobb salad. When I finally picked it up (about 1:20) I was surprised to see the AP mobile order pin with my order. I hadn't heard about those. Sadly, my salad seemed kind of anemic. The bacon was good, but the chicken was bland, the lettuce was only iceburg, and even the egg seemed colorless. It was okay, and filling, but 0 excitement there.
th6YXlr.jpg

After lunch I took a ride on Mater's, which was actually pretty fun. The last time I remembered riding it I hadn't enjoyed it much (it seemed really rough then), so I was pleasantly surprised. I followed it with a stroll through the sourdough bread exhibit, and checked out the new-to-me Inside Out ride. Since I've ridden it several times in its previous incarnation, and there was a 15-20 minute wait, I didn't feel the need to try it out that day. It's super, super cute though, with lots of photo opportunities.
VToRtjS.jpg

0FJlMEC.jpg

N8Q5j2V.jpg

2s82Y5j.jpg

Last edited:

I had fun browsing around Bing Bong's, and chose a cute little Mickey cookie to take some pictures with (and eat, of course. This trip was about trying some fun treats I wouldn't normally spend money or calories on.) It had also been a while since I'd taken a turn on Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death... er, the Pixar Pal-A-Round, so I decided to stand in that line while I ate my cookie. :)
Sz8qt75.jpg

Gcfe0TA.jpg

bvsDRAX.jpg

The line for a non-swinging (never again, evil swinging carts! The only place I ever had motion sickness at Disney when I was young, haha!) was about 20 minutes at 2:30 PM. The views, of course, were awesome. :)
DIGv6BD.jpg

F5nTdcf.jpg

hcb4jbV.jpg

I wanted to go over to Disneyland and start checking out where I might stand to watch the Candlelight Processional walk in at least, (this was a bucket list item I didn't think would probably ever happen) so I headed towards the front of the park, but geeked out just a little bit to see these two guys, and waited a few minutes to get some pictures with them. :)
w0mEPeb.jpg

5Le7JMs.jpg

WBkVrsW.jpg

After much walking around and sitting in a few different places along Main Street until a "Processional" cast member said we couldn't (the regular CM's seemed to know nothing that night, but the special ones acted like they probably knew what was happening and said there wouldn't be "any viewing" for the entrance on Main Street), I ended up on a bench near the Hub, along the regular parade route. It was about 4 PM when I sat down, and there were other people sitting around and waiting. We were all kind of interested in seeing if they'd kick us out at some point. A nice couple ended up sitting next to me, and we chatted and laughed and wondered if things were going to work out for us. Their names were Kris and Tony, and one of them (I can't remember who) went and talked to one of the "Processional" cast members, who said we should be able to sit there and see. So we sat. And they were delightful, and it was one of the highlights of my trip! We chatted about how I lost my credit card at some point and was hoping it would turn up (so silly, but not a huge deal. I realized it was missing just before I went on The Little Mermaid and reported it to Lost and Found and put a hold on it.) I still had some cash, and I had snacks with me. But they were being super sweet, and and even offered to get me something through mobile order at the Jolly Holiday (you know, since there were two of them, and they had more flexibility to not lose their seat if they left) and wouldn't let me pay them back. When they went and got it, I thought they were ordering something and offered to get me something too, but they were just ordering me something. They were seriously so fun and sweet, and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. That's my favorite kind of Disney Magic.
4yI9jor.jpg

It got a little less magical when, just 30 minutes or so before the first performance they started coming around and saying the Processional wouldn't actually be coming through there, and that there really was no viewing. They were a little worried about rain, and that night hadn't planned to follow the normal schedule. Which was fine, and understandable, but why didn't any of the CM's we had spoken to (at least 5, ones who were supposed to know what was up with the Processional) know that? We had been sitting on that bench for almost an hour and a half, and it wasn't going to come anywhere near us! (It went straight out by the Baby Care Center and down Main Street, which we weren't allowed to line up along, even for parade-like viewing. It was kind of a strange situation.

My new friend Kris went to ask about how it had all gone down, and about why the CM's mostly didn't know what to tell people, and if there was anywhere we could wait later to see the second Processional go by. They weren't able to give her any answers, or a place we could watch them come in really (other than behind the rope they stretched across Main Street right as it ended, but even there, it was considered a walkway, not a place to stand), but she did give each of us 2 Multiple Experience passes, that were good for anything in Disneyland except Smuggler's Run, I think. That was nice, but we felt a little deflated after our fruitless wait.

I said goodbye to my new friends, and decided to wait around and try to see what I could of them coming in, then maybe try to catch some glimpses, and hear some of what went on even if it was just following the walkways around the performance once or twice. I didn't have anything else I really wanted to do yet, and I really wanted to hear/feel what it was like after years of hearing about it.
m3WftmQ.jpg

Breaking my normal lurker silence to say... I love your trip reports. :-)
So glad you have so many trips planned this year that I can follow along with!

Our first trip to WDW was in 2000. Pin trading was so off the radar to us back then. I was very pleased to find a pin recently to commemorate that trip. It's similar to your pin but no personalization but I'm happy!
Yeah, when I got those first pins (I have a round Epcot one from the same year) I didn't know they were something that was traded. Maybe they weren't really then? They make nice little "space saver" souvenirs, and my kids love trading the smaller ones. We get some on ebay (I know some are probably scrappers, but I just try to throw away the ones that I'm sure about and keep the ones that look good to me, haha) and buy some at the Disney Outlet when they get them in for good prices.

Breaking my normal lurker silence to say... I love your trip reports. :-)
So glad you have so many trips planned this year that I can follow along with!
Thanks so much for commenting! I didn't realize there were still so many lurkers until recently, and I'm happy that my trip reports are sometimes helpful or interesting to more than just the few that comment!

As I was trying to decide which way to go, the Processional entered between the Baby Care Center and the Plaza Inn. CM's were trying to keep the crowd moving, but no one was interested in listening. I couldn't see that well (thanks, shortness) but it was cool as the whole crowd kind of froze in place and started singing with them as they came in. If I make a video for this trip, I'll try to get that in there. As soon as the crowd decided to listen to the CM's and move again (it was a good 3-4 minutes at least) I headed out towards California Adventure by way of the Main Street pass through on the east side. I circled around by the ticket booths and did another circuit, but things weren't moving very well (everyone wanted to see/hear what was happening!) and I between the left hand entry and the town hall when Lin-Manuel Miranda (the narrator) came in. That was cool. After that second circuit, where I got to hear some singing and get a somewhat decent view of what everything looked like, I headed over to CA for real. :) It was a cool experience, and I was so glad I have an AP this year and felt like I could spare the time to be right there in the middle of it all to see what the "feel" was like!
RzPXwxk.jpg

I had a FP for the Incredicoaster, and thoroughly enjoyed riding it at night again! After that I used one of my Multiple Experience passes on Guardians of the Galaxy. I think. It could have been a regular FP too, since I had had a few hours to stack them while I waited on the bench. Last Guardians ride of the trip! My stomach was unimpressed, let me tell you. It was at the point where anything I went on made it hurt, basically. 😬
rPntDvY.jpg

vv7Kz5e.jpg

w1mODk5.jpg

g0GTM5I.jpg

I had forgotten to check on my way over with Lost & Found for my Visa card (I had gotten an e-mail during the waiting that they had it) so I took time on my way back to Disneyland to do that. I think I waited in that line as long as an attraction, haha, but I was able to help entertain a tired toddler, AND I did get my card back, which was very happy!
tZJaMwZ.jpg

I used a Multiple Experience pass on Matterhorn, and while doing that, noticed the last one hadn't disappeared. Weird. I think I read about that happening to people sometimes. After the Matterhorn (Always fun at night, if a little rough! And I can't decide if the Yeti is scarier in the day or at night. I think it matters more to me where I'm sitting in the bobsleds. The very front row is the worst, haha!) one of the passes had disappeared, so that was as expected.
EDY3iIH.jpg

1sh7sIr.jpg

I decided it was finally time to grab a corn dog for a late night meal/snack (it was 7:50 PM), since the line was almost nonexistant. Yay! I meant to eat it as I headed back over to CA for World of Color (which I had grabbed a FP for earlier, but was planning to just walk up last minute and watch anyways), but the second Candlelight Processional was about to start, and as I was walking by, there was room in the standing area, and CM's were telling people "if you want to stop and watch, under the rope please, or keep moving!" Um, yes? So my corn dog and I spent the next 30 minutes (the corn dog disappeared after about 5 though - no staying power...) waiting for it to start (it was a few minutes delayed because of some sprinkles) and then watching the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland!! People left here and there, and by the end of the show I had a decent view, despite my shortness. It was so cool. I am so glad I did that!
F2pxmdr.jpg

As soon as it was over, I ran over to CA and got a spot on the stairs to the far left to watch World of Color. Sure, it wasn't the best angle, but I was able to stay sitting until it started, and because of the stairs, I could see really well. I haven't watched that in about 6 years, (and never the holiday version) and I really enjoyed it, especially since I didn't have to stress about it or wait around for it. Yay! I took some video, but no pictures.

Aaaaand back to Disneyland, where the fireworks were starting. Since I was walking in during them, and since walkways were a little slow, I got to see a lot of that show again, too. :)
9NaQJ5Y.jpg

I had a FP for BTMR, which is my absolute favorite at night, and did not disappoint! My stomach, however, was just about done with the whole "theme park" experience. :-( Sigh. No lie, I was feeling concerned at this point. Why at THIS point in my life (when I finally got an AP) did I suddenly develop issues with motion sickness?? (Well, not completely suddenly. When my kids wanted to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey 5 times in a row 2 years ago, I was struggling after twice... Motion-Eaze helped me be able to ride it a few more times, but Universal Studios in general was rough on me with all their simulators. I've always done okay at Disney, though!! :-( )
D2Bu15S.jpg

Despite my stomach being iffy still, it was the "end of the night" (for me anyway, at 10 PM) I wanted to get a few rides in on Splash Mountain when there was no line, and it didn't matter if I accidentally got wet, even through my poncho. :) I had fun waiting in line with people, and on my first ride the couple in front of me were really nervous about getting soaked, so I offered to trade them places (and ride in the very front) and they were grateful. :) And I did get plenty of water! My second ride was also fun, but I wasn't feeling too hot, so I decided not to ride again.
XSYQiqF.jpg

kw9EyxS.jpg

L3QfQpz.jpg

I walked over through Galaxy's Edge from the Critter Country entrance, and saw where the new ride, ROTR would be opening in a few weeks. Then I decided to use the MEP that was still on my account to ride Peter Pan without the 40 minute wait (because it was listed as an option!). I went to the exit and they had me wait for about 7-10 minutes before they put me on. It was kind of fun; I've never gotten on that way, obviously, and I felt special.
HLLT2A6.jpg

I decided to make Snow White's Scary Adventures my last ride of the night, since I knew it would be closing for an extended refurbishment.
cBDaGkz.jpg

You guys, my stomach didn't even like those two rides. What the heck?

Is there anything more magical-looking than Disneyland during the holidays at night? :) I thoroughly enjoyed my walk out, and left the park about 11:30.
paYuQg3.jpg

J6KhC2g.jpg

O6xJpr9.jpg

Even the tram back was upsetting for my stomach, though, which was concerning.
Even MORE concerning was how I felt the whole next day. It was almost like I had a stomach virus, except I felt completely fine when I was holding still, and hurt when I was moving, even though I was driving! I kept having to stop every hour or so and just sit for 15-20 minutes to get it to settle down. I even tried a coke at a rest stop (I hate Cola, but I know it can settle your stomach). My stomach didn't seem to have a strong opinion about anything I ate. When I finally got him (like 8.5 hours later instead of 6) I just layed down the rest of the evening. It reminded me a little of my all-day morning sickness with my pregnancies, except I felt fine when I wasn't moving. I really do think it was continuing motion sickness after two days of too many rides. Nooooooo! What was I going to do with all the Disney trips I had planned? Feeling crummy during a ride is one thing, but I couldn't do the whole sick-the-whole-drive-home thing again...
ReN8dCK.jpg

In other news, this was my day-in-steps for Saturday!
8IEh3Kh.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, motion sickness is the worst! When I was pregnant my motion sickness was almost non-existent. Maybe it's hormonal? Hopefully this will resolve itself for you soon. I always take Meclazine every day I am in Disney or on a cruise now.

You're giving me inspiration to take my own solo trip.
P.s. I stopped and said hi to you near Pixie Hollow while you were with your husband. I'm trying to lurk less, post more.

Oh man, motion sickness is the worst! When I was pregnant my motion sickness was almost non-existent. Maybe it's hormonal? Hopefully this will resolve itself for you soon. I always take Meclazine every day I am in Disney or on a cruise now.
Crazy that is was less during pregnancy! I was much more prone to motion sickness while pregnant. I have heard from way too many people that theirs increased as they got older. :P Hoping that isn't the case for me. (That it continues to get worse) I did take Meclazine on my last trip, and it seemed to help.

You're giving me inspiration to take my own solo trip.
P.s. I stopped and said hi to you near Pixie Hollow while you were with your husband. I'm trying to lurk less, post more.
Yay!! Thanks for saying hi! Thanks for saying "hi" here, too! You have a couple of little ones, too, right? A solo trip would be such a different experience, and I highly recommend it, haha! It's wonderful with kids, but a much more relaxing experience without them. :)

What a difference between Mr. Grumpy Pants in the morning and the Jolly Holiday-treating couple later in the day! Glad you got to experience Candlelight Processional. That would be so neat.

What do you use for making your Disneyland videos? I guess I should ask what type of phone you have as well. I've always wanted to make trip videos and am not sure where to start. I have an Android.

What a difference between Mr. Grumpy Pants in the morning and the Jolly Holiday-treating couple later in the day! Glad you got to experience Candlelight Processional. That would be so neat.

What do you use for making your Disneyland videos? I guess I should ask what type of phone you have as well. I've always wanted to make trip videos and am not sure where to start. I have an Android.

I have an iPhone 8, but I use Adobe Premiere Elements for video editing. It's not quite as flexible as the full version, but way less $. I've been editing our own family videos for about 15 years now, so I can't say how easy it is to use. I would guess you'd need to go through some of the tutorials. I know there are some more user friendly options, I just haven't explored them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!