A year of firsts...... Non-runner to PHM (comments welcome, keep me accountable!!) :)

jen2207

Mouseketeer
I decided to keep this journal for a couple of reasons. One, I really enjoyed reading other peoples journals in motivating me to get started. I guess it was just time to stop reading about running races, and actually start doing them.

Two, I have been told to "put it out there" and make yourself accountable. I know this makes sense. I know I should talk about it and tell people in my social "real" life that I'm now running, but I can't yet. I've started and failed many times before. I've poo-poo'ed offers when friends have tried to get me back into running. "Come run the Turkey Trot 2miles to a bar and have a shot". No, not ruining my thanksgiving with exercise!!

Three, this is an old self conscious fear.......of looking stupid. Afraid people will see me and think, "wow she's really red in the face, she should stop". Or "that's does not look good at all."

Wow, really starting out here on a positive note!!! :rotfl2:

Ok but now I am READY TO GET STARTED!! And actually I've already started. I've got 20-some runs under my belt and feel like yes, now I KNOW I can do this!!!!!

A note on the year of firsts in the title too.

This year marks a couple of firsts.

- First 4mile race (odd distance I know, but a charity run for my kids school)
- First 10k Registered (9/19)
- First RunDisney 5k (Princess weekend)
- First Half Marathon (PHM)
- First Cruise (March 2016) ** nervous about seas sick :crazy2:

And the first time all 4 of my kids will be in school full time. All day. Every day. I've been a stay at home mom for almost 10 years. Being home without kids is equally exciting and scary. My husband owns a successful business, so I am lucky that I don't "have to" go back to work. But also then I'm stuck with the questions of doubt about self worth. So I've decided to put my time into being healthy and active. My youngest is in full time preschool, so I feel like I've bought myself a year. Once he's in kindergarten, and my oldest can drive..... Yes I know the age gap is a bit bigger than I'd like...... Then the back to work thing will have to be re-evaluated.

A history of the runs I've done so far.... This is really just for me to have kept track

All of these are on treadmill in my basement, I wanted to get a decent running form before I went anywhere in public to see me. :rolleyes1 Also I'm doing a 3min run/ 1 min walk

5/20 31:23 2.21m avg pace 14:12
5/22 28:45 2.13m avg pace 13:30
5/24 31:29 2.31m avg pace 13:36
5/27 31:34 2.41m avg pace 13:06
5/29 27:42 2.23m avg pace 12:24

6/1 31:04 2.31m avg pace 13:24
6/3 33:28 2.71m avg pace 12:18
6/5 33:32 2.71m avg pace 12:24
6/7 42:39 3.31m avg pace 12:54
6/10 36:20 2.96m avg pace 12:18
6/12 36:23 2.71m avg pace 13:24
6/13 36:24 2.86m avg pace 12:42
6/15 33:23 2.71m avg pace 12:18
6/23 39:33 3.31m avg pace 11:54
6/29 33:23 2.80m avg pace 11:54

7/1 33:32 2.78m avg pace 12:06
7/9 36:20 3.04m avg pace 12:00

Outdoor now - feeling more confident!!!
7/14 36.21 3.04m avg pace 12:00
7/22 51:52 4.94m avg pace 12:00 ** note had an hour break between halfs to watch lil guys teeball game :love:
7/25 36:21 ** stats missing Gps didn't work :confused3
7/26 36:29 3.05m avg pace 12:00
7/28 52:05 4.33m avg pace 12:00

8/3 44:52 3.81m avg pace 11:48
8/9 34:26 3.0m avg pace 11:29** using Garmin watch now :)
8/14 36:32 3.12m avg pace 11:42
8/16 1:02:08 5.34m avg pace 11:36 *treadmill
8/19 36:24 3.0m avg pace 12:00
8/22 46:06 4.1m avg pace 11:30 (Colby Smith Run)
8/24 20:32 1.66m avg pace 12:24
8/26 36:19 3.03m avg pace 12:00
8/28 61:37 5.34m avg pace 11:00

9/2 20:16 1.58m avg pace 10:48
9/4 36:12 2.38m avg pace 12:39
9/6 70:06 6.31m avg pace 11:06 *treadmill
9/9 36:25 3.09m avg pace 11:48
9/11 30:06 2.61m avg pace 11:32
9/12 68:12 6.01m avg pace 11:21
9/14 30:14 2.7m avg pace 11:12

Last edited:
So I'm really liking the listing of workouts in the post above. Interesting to see progress like that. :) I think I'll keep adding to it as I go. Great to see a list like that. Look at how many are there already!! Yay me!

The last two runs have been with my 9yr old daughter. She's doing great!!! We stayed in our neighborhood, which has some serious hills!!! :eek: She skipped out on the last interval on the first day (Saturday) we were right by our house. I don't blame her. And it was crazy hot and humid. Ugh.

But today she did the whole thing the whole way through!! :cheer2:

Being a stay at home mom for that long means that you deserve the new free TIME for yourself to do these good things for yourself.
I capitalized time on purpose because how glorious it is to have any extra amount of it!!!
I'm looking forward to your journals and your review of PHM, it's on my runDisney bucket list.

You are doing great so far keep it up, Don't be afraid of putting yourself out there if I have learned one thing about the running community overall its that its a supportive bunch we all know the struggles that this sport can bring and therefor are willing to try to help however we can

Today was hot and humid. 80 degrees, 80% humidity. No bueno.

According to the Jeff Galloway beginner to 10k app, I was due for a 4 mile run. I just could not summon the nerve to do it outside. I rationalized that the treadmill in an air conditioned gym would be better. Guess what, it sucked too but I'm glad I did it. I'm surprised how well my legs felt and actually had enough left to have gone farther. But it was boring. BORING!!! My sweet 4yr old son was next to me, riding his toy horsey trying to race. Doing jumping jacks and sit ups to get in shape too. (Adorable) and even all this still had me staring at the timer for each interval to pass. But, it's done. 4 miles! Yay! I never could have done this two months ago.

Funny, I used to be addicted to my treadmill when I started. I was afraid of outdoor running. The hills, people watching, judging in my mind. But now that I've been outside a few times, I know why people call it the dread mill!! I swear time stops. The longest minutes ever. But it's over and the miles are behind me. Yay!!

For the next 5 days I'll be in Virginia Beach for my daughters tumbling competition. I know I need to get a run or two in and looking at their 90degree forecast..... I'm thinking it will be treadmill days again. I'll just daydream of being outside again I guess!!

Stats
7/28 52:05 4.33m avg pace 12:00

Being a stay at home mom for that long means that you deserve the new free TIME for yourself to do these good things for yourself.
I capitalized time on purpose because how glorious it is to have any extra amount of it!!!
I'm looking forward to your journals and your review of PHM, it's on my runDisney bucket list.

Thanks!! I am probably equal parts nervous and excited about having some kid-free hours in the day. I guess I will fill them with running! (Or some of them) :thumbsup2

You are doing great so far keep it up, Don't be afraid of putting yourself out there if I have learned one thing about the running community overall its that its a supportive bunch we all know the struggles that this sport can bring and therefor are willing to try to help however we can

Thanks!!! The support here is great! So far so good!! :)

Your paragraph about treadmill vs running outside is so true. Both parts about being afraid of anything but treadmill and now being so bored by it. I'm supposed to do 4 miles in about 10 min once my daughter goes to bed.

Congrats on getting started! You are doing great so far and your times reflect that as your pace per mile drops! I say that, but if you start to do more runs outside, don't get bummed out if your times aren't improving during the summer. The heat will slow you down a bit, but come fall and winter the numbers will drop. I understand your concerns about outdoor running, but remember the people you see that are running once had their first run. I found through my experiences is that the very accomplished runners are usually the most supportive ones as well. I just PR'd a 5k and the guy who finished in the top 3 overheard me talking to my DW about it and he stopped and congratulated me and asked about my training, offered some tips, and just general running discussion.
I hate a TM and usually don't use them. The only time I actually run on one is during the summer. It has been so hot that I struggle to stay hydrated, and a run now and then indoors helps. Our winters aren't bad and I actually never had to cancel a winter run due to cold/weather. Good luck on your upcoming 4 mile race and training. Is PHM = Princess Half Marathon? Enjoy your trip this week!

Congrats on getting started! You are doing great so far and your times reflect that as your pace per mile drops! I say that, but if you start to do more runs outside, don't get bummed out if your times aren't improving during the summer. The heat will slow you down a bit, but come fall and winter the numbers will drop. I understand your concerns about outdoor running, but remember the people you see that are running once had their first run. I found through my experiences is that the very accomplished runners are usually the most supportive ones as well. I just PR'd a 5k and the guy who finished in the top 3 overheard me talking to my DW about it and he stopped and congratulated me and asked about my training, offered some tips, and just general running discussion.
I hate a TM and usually don't use them. The only time I actually run on one is during the summer. It has been so hot that I struggle to stay hydrated, and a run now and then indoors helps. Our winters aren't bad and I actually never had to cancel a winter run due to cold/weather. Good luck on your upcoming 4 mile race and training. Is PHM = Princess Half Marathon? Enjoy your trip this week!

Thank you for your kind words!!

Our trip is going well, the Virginia Beach area is great! Lots to do and eat! :) running here has not gone so well. It's just me and my 9yr old. And I don't feel comfortable leaving her in the hotel room so I can go for a run. So I tried to convince her to join me for a run/ walk this morning. 1 mile in 23 minutes..... I guess you could say we took a beach stroll. Lol!!

She's a high level competitive tumbler. We are here for Jr. Olympics. So I'm just sitting back and letting her steer the activity of the days she isn't competing. Mostly swimming, beach and sand volleyball. Competitions starts tomorrow!! :)

Ok running in Virginia beach just did not work for me. Busy days with jr. Olympics prelims and finals. But it was all worth it because my sweetie WON GOLD!!!!

Mom brag moment!! My 9yr old won Gold medal for Intermediate Tumbling and was recognized by earning a special District Award! Her scores were the highest of all Illinois tumblers in the Intermediate skill level for any age! (And she is in the youngest age division!) Whoo hoo!! Proud mom! :)

Heading to meet the rest of my family in Northern Wisconsin for a week now and will definitely get some good runs in there. Flat flat and cooler temps!! :thumbsup2

Here's her pretty bling!!

image.jpg

That's a great accomplishment for your DD! How are you enjoying the cool temps and running in Wisconsin? Starting this Friday and the next 7 days our highs are going to 100 to 104 range. I really wish it was October already...

Congrats to your daughter! My little toddler is in "tumble-bears" so she has little dreams of being a "big girl" tumbler one day. Everything to her is a balance beam or a place to somersault.

A 23 min mile walk actually sounds really lovely and relaxing :)

That's a great accomplishment for your DD! How are you enjoying the cool temps and running in Wisconsin? Starting this Friday and the next 7 days our highs are going to 100 to 104 range. I really wish it was October already...

Running in Wisconsin was great!! Flat, shaded, cooler temps. Perfect!! But the two day stomach flu I had was not. :( I'm all recovered now and back at it. I was even able to get a good run in Sunday night before we left!!

Congrats to your daughter! My little toddler is in "tumble-bears" so she has little dreams of being a "big girl" tumbler one day. Everything to her is a balance beam or a place to somersault.

A 23 min mile walk actually sounds really lovely and relaxing :)[/QUOTE

Thanks! The Jr. Olympics trip was great! We went last year and she had earned silver. But she's moved up another division so it was definitely harder competition. Wasn't sure how it would go. But she rocked it!! :) thanks!

Ok where was I......

We are finally back home after our nearly two week adventures. My daughter did wonderfully well in her tumbling competition! And we enjoyed a family vacation in northern Wisconsin. I unfortunately, was sidelined for two days with a stomach flu. Definitely forced me to get some rest. But now I am better and getting back into the swing of things.

I've been updating my distances and times on the post above. It's great to see progress!! Also I am now using a Garmin watch (Forerunner 15) instead of the Jeff Galloway app to track distances and pace. Defintely saw a jump in times, feels good but I think it has most to do with a more accurate recording watch. Or maybe I've been faster all along!! ;)

School starts next week. Sad to see my kids go - especially my baby who will start going to a 4k preschool that is all day/ every day. But am glad to get back to a more regular routine. And will have more time to get my runs in. :)

Also I am doing a fitness boot camp class every Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I did it last year during the school year too. It's fun and a good workout for muscle toning. And each session ends with boxing - great to get that stress out!!! :) Me and my pink boxing gloves pack quite a punch! (Lol! Not really.)

Alright, just updating times as I get runs in. Glad to see progress and runs definitely feel better, not struggling - breathing is good. On Saturday I did a charity run 4-miler and my 9yr old ran with me. She did great!!! Everyone in the family did it actually and surprising to all - my 12 yr old daughter beat all of us!!! She has never run a mile, as far as I know. But she's athletic, plays a lot of basketball. She ran the first mile in 8 minutes!!! What the heck!?! Who's child is this??? :)

My 15yr old son also ran, and got beat by his sister too! But to be fair, he was running along side his girlfriend who needed a little encouragement to keep going. So he was a little slower than he would have liked. But they both finished and did great!! And even being slower he still was fifth overall for his age group. And my husband and our lil guy walked and used the stroller. So all in all, our family was well represented during the event.

As for PHM planning, two significant things have happened. 1- got room reservation/ flight and ADRs set up. Yay! Got a good plan for parks/eating scheduled, I think.

Arrive Wednesday evening, staying AKL, dinner at JIKO.
Thursday - go to Expo, lunch ADR at BoG, dinner at Boathouse.
Friday - 5k with husband :love:, lunch Via Napoli, dinner Monsieur Paul's
Saturday - late lunch at Brown Derby, no other specific plans - take it easy day
Sunday - RACE DAY!! - brunch at Boma after race, dinner Cali Grill
Monday - flight home

And #2...... Bought my first sparkle skirt! First of many I am sure!!! :rolleyes1

My 15yr old son also ran, and got beat by his sister too! But to be fair, he was running along side his girlfriend who needed a little encouragement to keep going. So he was a little slower than he would have liked. But they both finished and did great!! And even being slower he still was fifth overall for his age group. And my husband and our lil guy walked and used the stroller. So all in all, our family was well represented during the event.

As for PHM planning, two significant things have happened. 1- got room reservation/ flight and ADRs set up. Yay! Got a good plan for parks/eating scheduled, I think.

Arrive Wednesday evening, staying AKL, dinner at JIKO.
Thursday - go to Expo, lunch ADR at BoG, dinner at Boathouse.
Friday - 5k with husband :love:, lunch Via Napoli, dinner Monsieur Paul's
Saturday - late lunch at Brown Derby, no other specific plans - take it easy day
Sunday - RACE DAY!! - brunch at Boma after race, dinner Cali Grill
Monday - flight home

And #2...... Bought my first sparkle skirt! First of many I am sure!!! :rolleyes1
Sounds like yall had a good family time with the 4 mile race! It's so much fun to cross a finish line! I have been having a itch to do so, and may look into a 5k soon... If not, I'll have to wait till my Half in October. Keep up the hard work, Disney will be here before you know it!

Just registered for 2 10k races this fall. The first is in September and I will do all by myself. (First time) but I want to really focus on my run and hopefully get a good time. I'm not really even telling anyone I'm doing this one (well except for all of you!!) Just want to do it for me. :)

The second one is with a bunch of girlfriends, I think there will be 7 or 8 of us!! (We all did the 4mile race this past weekend too) And it's a Halloween/ costume race!! So I'm thinking I might splurge a bit with a princess running costume because now I can wear it twice!!

Hopefully I will get a good PoT in for corral placement. :)

Now to shop around etsy for cute costume ideas!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter