AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh! ...more flight problems

I did post earlier, so I have found that how you speak to the call center rep. can make a difference in how much they will help you... in any situation, everyone has been on hold forever, or a call dropped and had to start over in the que... It's not the rep's fault that they changed the time, the plane or whatever the issue is. I have worked in a call center so I can relate to both sides... The rep you might get... could have spent the last several call being pummeled by other folks..... showing a bit of kindness can go along way, and remaining calm helps you more than the customer service rep... take a couple of minute to get your facts on connecting flights, and check the final destination arrival times... Such as meeting times, or if you ordered a car service, or cruise times, see which flight would work for you, and any requirement... sitting next to each other, especially if you have kids... Then take a deep breath and make the call... being prepared helps me feel nore control, listen to all the options they can offer, then make the decision.

Delta did this to us this last Sunday with an impossible flight. We wouldn't have arrived yet before flight 2 took off. This is the 2nd schedule change since booking a month and a half ago and I'm not super impressed with delta at this point. Booked nonstop, got changed to layover in ATL, then got changed again to impossible. They changed it back after calling in to a new non stop that was reopened at a similar time to the first one i booked ...ugh....:mad:
I have better things to do with my time then chat with them every few weeks!

Delta did this to us this last Sunday with an impossible flight. We wouldn't have arrived yet before flight 2 took off. This is the 2nd schedule change since booking a month and a half ago and I'm not super impressed with delta at this point. Booked nonstop, got changed to layover in ATL, then got changed again to impossible. They changed it back after calling in to a new non stop that was reopened at a similar time to the first one i booked ...ugh....:mad:
I have better things to do with my time then chat with them every few weeks!

It gets frustrating! changes can really upset plans and other reservations that have already been booked and paid for based off the flight itinerary.
I just looked at mine and delta has changed the return flight take off time to 35 minutes sooner. no big deal but still didn't receive any kind of notification.
I guess I will have to check every few days for any more changes from now on. (I did sign up for alerts as well)

Today my family member was Suppossrd to leave at 310 pm, Delay... 1 hour..mechanical (not weather) related, and after that boarded and then gets Diverted due to pressurization issues..
Diverted to Mco/Orlando.
Orlando is great, but not when ur trying to beat an incoming weather front and get to NY!
Finally what started at 310 pm and ultimately left Orlando at 722pm...
An offer of $25. Comes via Email
imho, Disgraceful.
Missed connection, missed obligation and the “gesture”
What’s More interesting... the Rep via phone said they follow a schedule for delays ... I checked and I saw No $25.
So again Disgraceful!
And the tv is broke... atop it all :(
( given alcohol... ugh!)

This is the 2nd schedule change since booking a month and a half ago and I'm not super impressed with delta at this point

I just looked at mine and delta has changed the return flight take off time to 35 minutes sooner. no big deal but still didn't receive any kind of notification.

When are your respective flights? Especially Momoftwins, given that there've been two changes in six weeks, unless you're flying this week, it doesn't make sense for the airlines to inform you of changes yet.

Legacy carriers - Delta, American, United - open their reservations 331 days in advance. Eleven months. Many reasons why schedules get changed.

What’s More interesting... the Rep via phone said they follow a schedule for delays ... I checked and I saw No $25.
So again Disgraceful!
No idea where you looked; I couldn't find anything on Delta's website.

I did find this http://traveltips.usatoday.com/passenger-rights-delayed-flight-during-travel-1810.html non-specific information, including, "As of 2010, federal requirements do not mandate how a carrier must respond to delayed passengers. You may request meal and hotel vouchers or ask to make a phone call, but such amenities are not required by law and are usually uncommon for airlines charging budget fares. Federal law does not require a carrier to compensate delayed passengers -- compensation is required only when a passenger is "bumped" from a flight that is oversold, according to Aviation Consumer Protection and Enforcement."

Which means anything Delta did offer as compensation is voluntary.

When are your respective flights? Especially Momoftwins, given that there've been two changes in six weeks, unless you're flying this week, it doesn't make sense for the airlines to inform you of changes yet.
I disagree. Airlines have no idea what people's plans are. The change may invalidate the need for the flight. In today's computer age, there is no reason notification couldn't be sent out to everyone within 24 hours. "Because we might make future changes" is not a valid excuse IMO.

I disagree. Airlines have no idea what people's plans are. The change may invalidate the need for the flight. In today's computer age, there is no reason notification couldn't be sent out to everyone within 24 hours. "Because we might make future changes" is not a valid excuse IMO.

I agree...I purchased a specific flight. If they are going to change it they better tell me, regardless of when my flights are.
I can't buy tickets on the fly because I need 5 of them so yes I buy early. If I bought them a few weeks prior to the flight in hopes they could pull their scheduling out of their behinds I'd pay 4 times the price and be sitting all over the plane.
And the fact they changed it to a connection that was impossible tells me their scheduling automation is flawed to begin with.
In the age of computers they can set a auto rule behind the scenes in their program that says when X person ticket is changed send x email at x time. Completely automated.
I paid for non stop with meal at the time I wanted , I got a multi without a meal (big deal for 5 people at airport prices ) and an impossible 2nd flight because it left before our 1st would arrive and at an early time than originally planned for where we are leaving from...how is that ok regardless of their reasoning?
If I purchase a blue dress on Amazon and they were out and sent me purple pants saying it was pretty close to what i wanted, it was still clothing , would I be ok with it ...no... airlines get away with way too much these days.

I agree...I purchased a specific flight. If they are going to change it they better tell me, regardless of when my flights are.
I can't buy tickets on the fly because I need 5 of them so yes I buy early. If I bought them a few weeks prior to the flight in hopes they could pull their scheduling out of their behinds I'd pay 4 times the price and be sitting all over the plane.
And the fact they changed it to a connection that was impossible tells me their scheduling automation is flawed to begin with.
In the age of computers they can set a auto rule behind the scenes in their program that says when X person ticket is changed send x email at x time. Completely automated.
I paid for non stop with meal at the time I wanted , I got a multi without a meal (big deal for 5 people at airport prices ) and an impossible 2nd flight because it left before our 1st would arrive and at an early time than originally planned for where we are leaving from...how is that ok regardless of their reasoning?
If I purchase a blue dress on Amazon and they were out and sent me purple pants saying it was pretty close to what i wanted, it was still clothing , would I be ok with it ...no... airlines get away with way too much these days.
I don't think the dress is a fair comparison. The problem with purchasing air fare is you're generally purchasing well before use. Because of schedule changes, I don't think it's unreasonable that any given flight might be changed or eliminated.

That being said, I don't want to be notified every time there's a 2 minute schedule change. But I do think they should notify you anytime the change is +/- 30 minutes.

A relative was flying Frontier today sw fla to Long Island/isp. Kept checking and they said on time repeatedly
Got to airport.. board Updated to Cancelled!
No idea on return now, likely Sunday.
Added: first seat available Monday, booked!
As far as Jetblue Delay of Over 3 hours with a diversion Non Weather related, before storm... they said $25 apology..
But that’s not what their own site says... we ll be sending a letter n calling ( after this weather stuff clears)

Last edited:
I don't think the dress is a fair comparison. The problem with purchasing air fare is you're generally purchasing well before use. Because of schedule changes, I don't think it's unreasonable that any given flight might be changed or eliminated.

That being said, I don't want to be notified every time there's a 2 minute schedule change. But I do think they should notify you anytime the change is +/- 30 minutes.

2 mins is not really a change...per say. Mine went from a nonstop to a multi city and leaving 2 hrs earlier and then changed again so that the plane landed an hour after the 2nd flight would have left so we would have been mid air while being expected on an additional flight...yes I expect to be notified so I can fix their ridiculous errors.

That poster has already experienced two changes in six weeks. Without any idea how far away the trip is, there will likely be additional changes until about three months out. The airline probably would have fixed the impossible connection within a day or so.

I agree...I purchased a specific flight.
Well, no, you didn't. You purchased airline passage between two points on a given day. Read the Contract of Carriage.

A relative was flying Frontier today sw fla to Long Island/isp. Kept checking and they said on time repeatedly
Got to airport.. board Updated to Cancelled!
No idea on return now, likely Sunday.
Added: first seat available Monday, booked!
As far as Jetblue Delay of Over 3 hours with a diversion Non Weather related, before storm... they said $25 apology..
But that’s not what their own site says... we ll be sending a letter n calling ( after this weather stuff clears)
Frontier: this situation is to be expected with an ultra low cost airline.
jetBlue: departure delay (different from ultimate diversion) under three hours isn't even addressed in neiGhbour's Customer Hill of Rights https://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/customer-protection/ but airfarewatchdog does https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/pages/18939297/ and the compensation for a 1.5-2 hour departure delay is, yes, $25 credit.

Flight diversions and destination arrivals aren't even addressed.

2 mins is not really a change...per say. Mine went from a nonstop to a multi city and leaving 2 hrs earlier and then changed again so that the plane landed an hour after the 2nd flight would have left so we would have been mid air while being expected on an additional flight...yes I expect to be notified so I can fix their ridiculous errors.

All airlines used an automated system to rebook passengers when flights change. Delta's proprietary system is called Viper. If the system can't find a solution it will book the passenger into an impossible itinerary to keep the ticket active. Then, your ticket gets placed into a queue where a human being will fix the problem. As I noted earlier in this thread, those problems are fixed in reverse chronological order.

Trust me when I say that you absolutely would have been contacted. I know it can be frustrating, but this is the way airline operations work. It's the way it's always worked and it's a pretty decent system.

One of the drawbacks of being in the Information Age is that we all have access to information that we wouldn't have had 20 years ago. Flight schedules have been fluid since airlines started. The difference is that today you can pull up your reservation on the internet and see a problem that you wouldn't have known about back in the dark ages when the only way to get flight information was to call someone.

Legacy carriers - Delta, American, United - open their reservations 331 days in advance. Eleven months. Many reasons why schedules get changed.
my flight is may 11.
perhaps I have too simplistic a view of things,I understand that stuff happens making it necessary for schedule changes. when those changes occur I feel the customers being impacted should be notified as soon as possible. waiting until a week or a day or two before the flight could leave folks S.O.L without enough time or options to make alternate plans.
I understand this not how it works, this is just my humble opinion.

That poster has already experienced two changes in six weeks. Without any idea how far away the trip is, there will likely be additional changes until about three months out. The airline probably would have fixed the impossible connection within a day or so.
I'm not willing to risk a trip on "probably".

All airlines used an automated system to rebook passengers when flights change. Delta's proprietary system is called Viper. If the system can't find a solution it will book the passenger into an impossible itinerary to keep the ticket active. Then, your ticket gets placed into a queue where a human being will fix the problem. As I noted earlier in this thread, those problems are fixed in reverse chronological order.
If there's an available itinerary (which there must be for a human Delta agent OR the passenger to find), why can't the computer find it? An airline want to change the flight schedule? OK, fine. That's the price we pay for booking so far out. But why not send an automatic notification to passengers saying the flight has been changed, and give them the option of changing their flights themselves. They should be able to do so on the app, online, or calling in. That would be less work for Delta to do.

One of the drawbacks of being in the Information Age is that we all have access to information that we wouldn't have had 20 years ago. Flight schedules have been fluid since airlines started. The difference is that today you can pull up your reservation on the internet and see a problem that you wouldn't have known about back in the dark ages when the only way to get flight information was to call someone.
I'll still take more knowledge over less any day.

Stuff happens which the airline cannot always control. You sound as if you might be the type of person who should stick to driving.

Stuff happens which the airline cannot always control. You sound as if you might be the type of person who should stick to driving.

No just a person who doesn't just "accept" that because they do these things, that it's ok. You are free to be tossed around on your flights and be ok with it. I never will be. No worries at all.

If there's an available itinerary (which there must be for a human Delta agent OR the passenger to find), why can't the computer find it?
You would have to ask the computer. But many fields use placeholders. Not limited to airlines.
I'm not willing to risk a trip on "probably".
Likely. But why do you feel the trip is risked?
I'll still take more knowledge over less any day.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!