ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Well at least you got the food you wanted.

And that's all that really matters, no?

Your Cheerios must be cheaper than mine. Mine run $3.99 per box and I really doubt I'd get 10 bowls out of a box. :rolleyes1

Actually, yeah, I think we can. I have never counted, but for sure at least 10 bowls. So maybe $.40. ;)

That's all you can do...

Fo sho!

I had not heard of this airline until our last cruise. We stayed off site the night we arrived in Orlando. We took the shuttle to and from the hotel, when we went back to the airport the other couple on our shuttle bus took silver. Interesting that they only fly in FL and the Bahamas.

They honestly did great. I'd fly this little regional again for sure.

I would be FREAKING out. We need to be sitting at the gate at least half an hour before the plane leaves, maybe more.

Me too. I like to have that time to sip a coffee, read a bit, just unwind. It usually sucks me dry just getting there in traffic and parking and hucking my luggage.

Do you know if it's still there now?

Yes, and no.... See below V

Again I ask, is it still there?

This is from their homepage today:

PelicanCove_PopUp%20(3)%20(1)-59ce4a0e34147.png

I see way too much plate in that picture. There's a right way and a wrong way to do a buffet. This is clearly the wrong way.

Especially for $30 a head. The only right way for our family to do a buffet is... not to. Clearly.

Oh no... easy to do, but so frustrating.

Very. I wonder if all that stuff goes up for bid at their annual Christmas parties? (I know for a fact there are plenty of TSA employees on the Boards. This is all tongue and cheek, Folks. No offense meant, but, ummm, come on. 3 oz of deodorant?)

I agree. The rental company name doesn't matter. The common denominator in this situation would be you.

I fail to see the relevance of this remark.

Except that it might be true.

:rotfl2: So true...

The place looks incredible. Not a bad place to stay for a few days in the Keys!

It was a very nice compromise between posh and dump. Comfy and clean (and free coffee and towel animals) but no hoity toity monogrammed bathrobes.

but 2 must be done...

Just put the seat down when you're done.

1) I really loved all the pictures of the light fixture. Just wish you hadn't had all that other stuff going on behind it. :lmao:
Seriously, good pictures despite what you think.

LOL!!! Yeah, I tried to focus on that. Worked out pretty well too! HAHAHAHA!

In all seriousness, thanks! I read up quite a bit on firework photog before going so I could get some fun ones.

2) Did you honestly just say good and hip hop in the same sentence??? Your credibility score just dropped.

Hey, if I can still hip hop at 50, it's a good day!

Okay, 3
Scariest part is always there...the horror I avoid every time even if it's not the "not so scary party". So, this trip is likely your most costly...the therapy sessions get very expensive. If your kids grow up to be serial killers from being exposed to IASW at such a fragile age, it's all on you!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Yikes. I wonder if there's an antidote?

I can see why. Not to belittle anything about the rest of your TR, but this is PRICELESS!!

I should submit it in some photo contest someday.

Disney is for kids, young and old and it's soooo cool to see younger and older (no offense intended Liesa) together with such great smiles!

It really captured a magical moment that was fleeting yet will last a lifetime. ANd you're so right. Disney holds something special for every age, gender, race.... I can't think of any one group that would have a hard time finding something wonderful about it. Except The Haters. I know a few of those.

Just put the seat down when you're done.
Wait, what? I have to put the seat down after #2 now too??? Harsh queen to the peasants.

Hey, if I can still hip hop at 50, it's a good day!
Saunter at 50, okay. Mosey, okay. Sashay, well I think that's just Canadian for sash. Hip hop, much more risky.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Yikes. I wonder if there's an antidote?
Maybe listening to Bohemian Rhapsody for 1/2 hour or so, might work.

I should submit it in some photo contest someday.
You should. I like joking, but also give credit where credit is very much deserved.

It really captured a magical moment that was fleeting yet will last a lifetime. ANd you're so right. Disney holds something special for every age, gender, race.... I can't think of any one group that would have a hard time finding something wonderful about it. Except The Haters. I know a few of those.
Haters suck. You should banish them from your kingdom.

So… who should go to Ragland Road?

EVERYONE! This is a MAJOR 2 thumbs up from Steppe!! Kids, adults, tweens, everyone who has a soul will love this place. If you’ve been and you don’t like it, well, sorry, I probably just offended you. Then again, if you don’t like mashed potatoes and sausages and Irish Dancing, you should probably re-examine your life.

We went there last year (I think). We didn't get the full show, but a couple of dancers brought in some boxes and did a mini routine which was very cool. I fell in love with Celtic woman a few years ago after hearing their rendition of "you raise me up" and I like the singing more. Also saw them at the Fox theater here in Atlanta a couple years ago and they had a couple sets with the river dance style dancing along with the singing and enjoyed that almost as much as the singing. What's not to love about sausages and taters indeed?

:wave: I'm soooooo faaaarrrr behind I don't even know where to go to get caught up :eek:. I had gotten so frustrated with my iPad and the DIS constantly refreshing itself I just plain gave up for a while. Yes, I do have a desktop at home but do you think I could drag my couch happy hiney over there to blow the dust off of it??

My Plans have pretty much solidified for the next trip, can't hardly believe it's just a month away. Are you doing a PTR for this trip? I know I need to try and go back and find some morsel of information... At least now I know we will both be at MVMCP! Will @pkondz be there as well?

:wave: I'm soooooo faaaarrrr behind I don't even know where to go to get caught up :eek:. I had gotten so frustrated with my iPad and the DIS constantly refreshing itself I just plain gave up for a while. Yes, I do have a desktop at home but do you think I could drag my couch happy hiney over there to blow the dust off of it??

My Plans have pretty much solidified for the next trip, can't hardly believe it's just a month away. Are you doing a PTR for this trip? I know I need to try and go back and find some morsel of information... At least now I know we will both be at MVMCP! Will @pkondz be there as well?
Don't give up. I just finished a binge reading over the last 6 days. I didn't read all the comments, sadly. But, at least I've made it. ;)
Liesa, errr, Queen Steppe, you are a great story teller.

Hey, I just got done reading. I need my prize...I got 100% correct across the board. What do you mean it doesn't count when I already know the answers? I didn't see that in the rules. :lmao:

Really enjoyed hearing about your trip Liesa.

Then you certainly have your work cut out for you.
But I did it and got 100% for all points and pictures.

Yes, if you want to cut out the chatter, by all means use the chapter links. I *think* they all work?
Most of them...I think the link for U was messed up, but I'm smarter than the average bear and was able to (eventually) find it.

Poor Manny (short for Manny Quinn); he's seen better days. At least I think he was a he that day. ;)
:eek: :scared:
I thought you were a nurse not a surgeon or butcher.

Well, I think that would depend on how much fudge and how crappy of a car the payment is for.
And I'm with Steppe...nuts in fudge definitely better.

Best fudge I ever had... 1978. Cypress Gardens.
They gave you a paper knife to cut it with. Paper!

Sooooo soft. Soooo good.

B is for: Boating Among Birds and Beasts

Get UP! Time’s a wastin’! Things to see; Stuff to do….

Everyone has their own way of vacationing and touring; I’m the type who wants to tour hard in the morning seeing all I can, then take it down a notch in the afternoon. This works out well, since others tend to want to sleep in and be out and about more later on. So, up at a reasonable vacation time we were- around 7:30 or 8:00. We aren’t breakfast eaters, but Adventurers need to have something, so we dressed and moseyed down to the outdoor eating area- breakfast patio by day; bar by Happy Hour.

The weather was going to be perfect for our day’s plan, a bit nippy for my bikini top (you know, the one I’d never be caught dead in), but just right for the long-sleeved T’s we had on. I didn’t feel quite as cool as the player from Miami sitting next to us who had on a full length fuzzy bathrobe… I guess his 70 degrees is like our 50? We both were really struggling not to burst out laughing and had to wonder if he might be sporting a Speedo underneath.

Our fare was simple, but adequate. Certainly not elegant, but enough to keep our motors running for the morning.

1AE8FA0F-77E3-46FB-82F9-C74D6154752F.jpg

The coffee was definitely not the morning latte I’m used to, but drinkable and, after all, caffeine is the main point anyway, right? (Wrong. Nothing beats a wonderfully prepared cup of coffee.) Fueled and antsy, we loaded up our sundries: the sunscreen, the hats and shades, and my camera (yes, I still had my camera), and hit the road…

….but, where to Steppe?

We’re getting there, but first, the laying in of rations- just in case things turned into more than a 3-hour tour.

We headed south-ish on A1A (if you are directionally-challenged, this is your paradise!) and stopped at a grocery store disguised as a flip flops and bait shop. There we picked up the only respectable lunch one would in the Keys: locally made smoked fish dip, some Idon’trememberwhatkinditwas Salad, tortilla chips for forks, fruit, and waters. Little, frozen Key Lime pies would have to wait.

This stuff was everywhere:

upload_2017-10-14_12-20-54.jpeg

As were these little beauties:

8a5edda9-9fa6-4c0b-8dc6-9b0c256beab0.jpg

Fully supplied, we again headed south-ish, and in exactly 7.0 miles we pulled off the highway, but not without getting royally flipped an altogether kind of bird. Those folks can MOVE on A1A, and if you happened to not be paying attention or have a bad combination of sucky driving AND sucky nag-ivation, you are doomed to this sort of stressful fate. I can neither confirm nor deny he was given a “friendly wave” in return.

Our target was Robbie’s- perhaps the most popular tourist trap in the Upper Keys. If you are looking for macramé plant holders bejeweled with imported shells from China, toilet seats with epoxied crabs and seaweed, yard art sculptures made from flotsam, or smoked fish dip, this is definitely the place for you! Then again, it’s also the place everyone goes to rent a boat, charter a fishing trip, or feed the tarpon. We’re too cheap to feed the fish when we can just watch others do it, and Mike gets seasick on the open water, so we rented a kayak for half a day and stayed in the sheltered shallows. Since we’re Noobs, we were glad Robbie’s had a kayaking “trail” already mapped out for us. It was also a bonus that they said they'd send out SAR if we weren’t back by dark.

After we politely asked the bird to get off by poking it with our paddles, we stowed our lunch, change of clothes (just in case), and my camera in the front water-resistant area, and began to paddle out of the marina.

IMG_3456.jpg

(For the birders, my best sleuthing skills nail this as a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron.)

It was a bonus that it was shallow, so we could get our sea legs on and learn how to paddle a kayak again. It’d been 26 years since we’d paddled- and that time we almost drowned our toddler. We proudly display our Parents of the Year Award for that one, but that’s another story for another time.

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3459_1.jpg

Okay! We got this!! Time to head out to the open sea for a bit:

IMG_3465.jpg

The water was absolutely crystal clear and you could easily see the 6-8 ft. to the bottom. I was shocked at how it literally teemed with life. Jellyfish littered the seafloor and made it look the 1970's avocado shag carpet in the home you grew up in. I found this description of them:

“The upside-down jelly does not look like the typical jelly, appearing as a flower on the seafloor. The bell is flat and shaped like a saucer. Color can vary, but is typically greenish to gray-blue. It has four pairs of elaborately branched but unfused oral arms. Instead of swimming, this jelly spends its life pulsing upside-down in shallow, sunlit water.”

IMG_3481.jpg

I was fascinated by them! But that was just the beginning of our little self-guided eco-adventure. We decided to get off the trail a tiny bit and paddle to a blob of mangrove just to take a look-see. (I’ll bet that little bit up there about “being back by dark” is niggling at the back of your minds, huh?) I’m glad we did because that’s where we had an up close and personal pow-wow with Bruce’s mates.

These not-so bad boys were fascinating to watch glide around our craft and we stayed put doing so for quite some time. I mean, it’s not very often that you can hobnob with SHARKS!!!

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

We *think* these were Nurse Sharks. If you have a better guess, by all means, throw it in.

“Nurse Sharks live in shallow waters and deep reefs. They feed mainly on crustaceans and smaller fish and have bone crushing jaws used to crack shells. Nurse sharks are often seen resting on sand flats and among coral structures. These sharks can grow up to 8' and weigh over 400lbs.”

We looked in vain for alligators. Sadly, they were too shy to show up, so, we paddled on into the “mangrove tunnel”.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

I was pretty excited for this portion!! I hope you are too! Now that we could go slower and things were less choppy, I felt okay about getting my camera out. And I was glad I did. There was plenty of critters to shoot. I even did it without getting arrested.

The Green Heron were out and about, and as with all Herons, they were easily startled and hard to capture. Even on “film”. But, I got one semi-decent one among the bunch:

IMG_3463.jpg

Here under the mangrove tunnel we stopped for a bite to eat. The picnic we packed was pretty tasty and convenient too for using as fish bait when we were done. HAHA! Just kidding, the sharks swimming around beneath us were large enough, thanks.

It was not quiet. The birds and other critters in and amongst the mangroves were singing a muted cacophony making us aware that we were not alone. But not all the wildlife was of the noisy kind. If you looked closely enough, you could spot the silent types as well.

IMG_3518.jpg

There was even some unidentifiable stuff lurking down there, but that made for some pretty cool abstract photos.

IMG_3489.jpg

Moving on, back into the boating lanes between the mangroves, we came across what was perhaps my favorite invertebrate. I’ve seen way too little backbone lately, but this one happened to be pretty as well. Meet Pinky McStingy Pants- Diva of the Keys. If any creature were to have an RBF, she’d be it. Lovely, yet aloof, she floated along, occasionally giving a little oomph to move as purposefully as a Moon Jelly ever does.

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

All of a sudden, off to our right about 50 yards we spied a great commotion in the water. Thousands of fish were at the surface of the water making it look like a boiling cauldron; the only explanation we could muster was the presence of an alligator showing up for lunch. We paddled over closer hoping to see one, but sadly never did.

IMG_3534.jpg

Eventually, we wound our way back to whence we began, having gotten a nice little romp with the Florida Keys nature. I deemed it totally worth the time and effort and our little half day of kayaking was one of my favorite memories from the days there. Our trusty little craft safely docked, we hopped out and ambled over to where the rest of the tourists were- feeding the tarpon over-priced dead fish so I could get some photos. I have to admit, it was kinda fun watching them hungrily snap at human fingers.

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

If you looked very closely you could see little fish symbiotically attached sucking on the tarpon. I learned later, that they are called Remora and clean the tarpon of debris and junk. So, basically the Remora and the tourists behave very much the same way- cleaning out stuff wherever it happens to be. We saw this behavior for the next few minutes as we browsed the booths on our way back out to our car and marveled at how very similar we are to a few other species.

IMG_3566.jpg

Last edited:
Wait, what? I have to put the seat down after #2 now too??? Harsh queen to the peasants.

Mankind hath no scorn such as that from a lady coming back to bed with wet potty bum.

Saunter at 50, okay. Mosey, okay. Sashay, well I think that's just Canadian for sash. Hip hop, much more risky.

I live for risk.

Maybe listening to Bohemian Rhapsody for 1/2 hour or so, might work.

Yep, that oughtta do it!

You should. I like joking, but also give credit where credit is very much deserved.

Aww, thanks! :)

Haters suck. You should banish them from your kingdom.

Why yes. Well, or from any future trips to Disney.

We went there last year (I think). We didn't get the full show, but a couple of dancers brought in some boxes and did a mini routine which was very cool. I fell in love with Celtic woman a few years ago after hearing their rendition of "you raise me up" and I like the singing more. Also saw them at the Fox theater here in Atlanta a couple years ago and they had a couple sets with the river dance style dancing along with the singing and enjoyed that almost as much as the singing. What's not to love about sausages and taters indeed?

Nice!! It's a nice mix of upbeat and beauty all wrapped up into one.

Yep!

(What were we talking about?)

You expect me to remember that?! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast!

Well, at least you're here now! :D

The DIS is very hit and miss even now. Better than a few weeks ago, but still can be frustratingly crappy, especially on the phone.

I know!! Just under a month for me! WOOT! I will start my TR before I go as a TINY PTR, but am trying to chip away at my Keys Report and PNWMM too. So we'll see....

I think meeting at the Party might be best. :) But I have tons I want to see and do. I'll give you a call, and we can firm up a plan. :) I don't know his plan for that day. I *think* that's his arrival day, but... well, @pkondz ?? Maybe?? I know I"m meeting Dawn and him at Dapper Day in MK on the 18th- so far those are the only other DISMeets planned.

Don't give up. I just finished a binge reading over the last 6 days. I didn't read all the comments, sadly?. But, at least I've made it. ;)
Liesa, errr, Queen Steppe, you are a great story teller.

Thanks, Doc! It enjoy the writing as much as the photography, and look forward to the telling of another Adventure soon. :)

Hey, I just got done reading. I need my prize...I got 100% correct across the board. What do you mean it doesn't count when I already know the answers? I didn't see that in the rules. :lmao:

Really enjoyed hearing about your trip Liesa.

Just send your addie! Everyone who plays along can have a prize. :) (Promise! I don't sell stuff!)

But I did it and got 100% for all points and pictures.

YAY for you! Umm, you did?

Most of them...I think the link for U was messed up, but I'm smarter than the average bear and was able to (eventually) find it.

Crap. I'll try and fix it. I think it averaged about an update every couple of pages.

:eek: :scared:
I thought you were a nurse not a surgeon or butcher.

You've been reading my name wrong all along! It's Queen Sweeney.

Best fudge I ever had... 1978. Cypress Gardens.
They gave you a paper knife to cut it with. Paper!

Sooooo soft. Soooo good.

That MUST have been soft! WHoa! A paper knife...

OK. While that little adventure was cool and all, I don't think there is any way you could get me out on a kayak in those waters unless I was bound and gagged! That giant jellyfish would have FREAKED me out! And just the thought of all the other stuff in there, not to mention the bugs that could have been lurking in the Mangrove tunnel! Sharks swimming underneath, just no, no no no no no!

But I'm glad you enjoyed it and shared it with us so I don't have to wonder. (Not that I even knew such a thing existed, so I wouldn't have wondered in the first place.) :lmao:

I'll join you on those beach chairs you mentioned where you'd be spending your afternoon. :thumbsup2

OK. While that little adventure was cool and all, I don't think there is any way you could get me out on a kayak in those waters unless I was bound and gagged! That giant jellyfish would have FREAKED me out! And just the thought of all the other stuff in there, not to mention the bugs that could have been lurking in the Mangrove tunnel! Sharks swimming underneath, just no, no no no no no!

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't want to be IN that water right there. Too shallow with too many jellies on the bottom. Bugs? Hmm, I honestly don't recall seeing even one. But that doesn't mean there weren't any. ;) Hmmmm, I think the next day's adventures might be even more of a stretch for you. LOL!

But I'm glad you enjoyed it and shared it with us so I don't have to wonder. (Not that I even knew such a thing existed, so I wouldn't have wondered in the first place.) :lmao:

I'm glad you still enjoyed the photos and the stories, Alison. :)

I'll join you on those beach chairs you mentioned where you'd be spending your afternoon. :thumbsup2

Then the next chapter is your kind of chapter!

Holy wildlife, Batman!! :eek: You got some really beautiful images here! What a day this must have been :lovestruc

Awww, thanks Meghan! It was just amazing seeing the variety and plethora of animals in there!

I’m the type who wants to tour hard in the morning seeing all I can, then take it down a notch in the afternoon.

I'm exactly the same. Except I tour hard in the morning then tour hard in the afternoon and then... tour hard into the night.
Followed by crashing from sheer exhaustion in between that day and the next.

breakfast patio by day; bar by Happy Hour.

Convenient.

a bit nippy for my bikini top

Freudian slip enters mind.....

(you know, the one I’d never be caught dead in),

Then why do you have one??

We both were really struggling not to burst out laughing and had to wonder if he might be sporting a Speedo underneath.

:lmao:

And... no one wants to see that!

Looks tasty! What's the cream cheese for? Surely you don't eat that by itself?

(Wrong. Nothing beats a wonderfully prepared cup of coffee.)

Everything beats a cup of coffee.

(yes, I still had my camera),

:cheer2:

We headed south-ish on A1A (if you are directionally-challenged, this is your paradise!)

Because.... it's the only road?

This stuff was everywhere:

upload_2017-10-14_12-20-54-jpeg.276953

Good?

As were these little beauties:

8a5edda9-9fa6-4c0b-8dc6-9b0c256beab0.jpg

mmmm... pie. Key Lime pie.......

Fully supplied, we again headed south-ish, and in exactly 7.0 miles we pulled off the highway, but not without getting royally flipped an altogether kind of bird. Those folks can MOVE on A1A, and if you happened to not be paying attention or have a bad combination of sucky driving AND sucky nag-ivation, you are doomed to this sort of stressful fate. I can neither confirm nor deny he was given a “friendly wave” in return.

So what did you guys do to deserve the salute in the first place?

If you are looking for macramé plant holders bejeweled with imported shells from China, toilet seats with epoxied crabs and seaweed, yard art sculptures made from flotsam, or smoked fish dip, this is definitely the place for you!

I'll pass on everything except that last item... depending on your review of it.

Then again, it’s also the place everyone goes to rent a boat, charter a fishing trip, or feed the tarpon.

Well, okay then. That's different.

we rented a kayak for half a day and stayed in the sheltered shallows.

Not a bad outing! I'd love to do that.
I tried to convince Ruby to do that
on one of our last trips, but she declined.
She's more of a sit and watch than paddle kinda girl.

It was also a bonus that they said they'd send out SAR if we weren’t back by dark.

bonus? Or ominous?

After we politely asked the bird to get off by poking it with our paddles,

:laughing:

(For the birders, my best sleuthing skills nail this as a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron.)

Of course it is! What else could it possibly be?????

:confused3

It’d been 26 years since we’d paddled- and that time we almost drowned our toddler.

Oops!

Beautiful shot, Liesa!
The best of the lot!
Bravo!

1970's avocado shag carpet in the home you grew up in.

We had it in my sister's room. Except it was purple.

Huh! Cool!

(I’ll bet that little bit up there about “being back by dark” is niggling at the back of your minds, huh?)

:rolleyes2

I mean, it’s not very often that you can hobnob with SHARKS!!!

Cool!
Never seen them like that.
Yes, swam with them both in and out of cages, but... both times it was kind of...
Well, an aquarium isn't exactly "wild" and the cage one they were acclimated to being there.

We *think* these were Nurse Sharks. If you have a better guess, by all means, throw it in.

Hard to say for sure with the distortion, but that does look like that's what they are.

We looked in vain for alligators.

In that area? Do they venture into salt water?

Another beautiful shot.

I even did it without getting arrested.

:sad2:

Here under the mangrove tunnel we stopped for a bite to eat.

Nice!

convenient too for using as fish bait when we were done

Um...

HAHA! Just kidding, the sharks swimming around beneath us were large enough, thanks.

... there it is.

It was not quiet. The birds and other critters in and amongst the mangroves were singing a muted cacophony making us aware that we were not alone. But not all the wildlife was of the noisy kind. If you looked closely enough, you could spot the silent types as well.

You paint a beautiful picture, Liesa.

Meet Pinky McStingy Pants- Diva of the Keys. If any creature were to have an RBF, she’d be it.

Oh, brother!

But nice photos!

We paddled over closer hoping to see one, but sadly never did.

Drats.

I deemed it totally worth the time and effort and our little half day of kayaking was one of my favorite memories from the days there.

I bet! Totally envious of you!

Another terrific capture!
You were on your game that day!

I learned later, that they are called Remora and clean the tarpon of debris and junk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts