ablation--gross stuff is in this post, sorry

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
I had a bit of a cancer scare for the last couple weeks. Yesterday my gynecologist took biopsies of my uterus and did an endometrial ablation. Is it weird that I feel fine now? Yesterday when I went into his office my whole body was swollen, even the lightest touch on my abdomen was painful, my blood pressure was high, and I was bleeding heavily. Today I feel fine and I'm not bleeding anymore! My abdomen is visibly less swollen, and I'm not having cramps. It's bizarre! I thought I was supposed to bleed after the ablation?

I only personally know a couple people who have had an ablation and they both described something different than what's going on with me, so I figured I should ask the internet :) Are there any ladies on the Dis who can tell me if my symptoms are normal? Now I've got to wait 2 weeks for the results of the biopsies, but I feel amazing, better than I have in a long time, so the wait's not even bothering me right now!

Enjoy it while you can! I would call what you have a lack of symptoms, which is good. From my little knowledge of that procedure. I think it’s fairly unusual, isn’t it? Sounds like maybe you got pixie dusted! pixiedust: :thumbsup2

I had a bit of a cancer scare for the last couple weeks. Yesterday my gynecologist took biopsies of my uterus and did an endometrial ablation. Is it weird that I feel fine now? Yesterday when I went into his office my whole body was swollen, even the lightest touch on my abdomen was painful, my blood pressure was high, and I was bleeding heavily. Today I feel fine and I'm not bleeding anymore! My abdomen is visibly less swollen, and I'm not having cramps. It's bizarre! I thought I was supposed to bleed after the ablation?

I only personally know a couple people who have had an ablation and they both described something different than what's going on with me, so I figured I should ask the internet :) Are there any ladies on the Dis who can tell me if my symptoms are normal? Now I've got to wait 2 weeks for the results of the biopsies, but I feel amazing, better than I have in a long time, so the wait's not even bothering me right now!
Ha! :crazy2: This reply has gross stuff in it too - I can't believe I'm actually typing this. I've had several friends who suffered for years with extreme, non-stop bleeding and cramping and all the life-altering symptoms that go along with a uterus gone crazy. None of them had anything malignant, or endometriosis or anything like that. They had ablations, which to my understanding burnt/scraped/charred out the uterine linings and prevented them from building back up again.

It sort of sounded like a hysterectomy with the uterus left in place. I don't know for certain that none of them ever had periods afterwards but my impression was that they did not. All 3 of them were in their 40's at the time and seemed to feel immensely better afterwards. Perhaps after a time of recovery, you will too. I wish you well. :flower3:

Endometrial ablation changed my whole life. Before that I was so anemic I was getting weekly iron infusions and lost so much weight because instead of eating on my lunch break, I slept in my car just to make it though the day.

It will take a few months for your body to “settle” and see what it will be like.

The purpose is to stop heavy periods. Some women stop having periods altogether. This is not me. Mine is still 8 days like before but it is very manageable now. I can leave the house and even go on vacation.

Glad you’re feeling better!

... I've had several friends who suffered for years with extreme, non-stop bleeding and cramping and all the life-altering symptoms that go along with a uterus gone crazy.
Yep, that'd be me. I had a bit of it after my second baby, but a few months of birth control pills "regulated me". Then -- in my early 40s -- it all came back. With a vengence. The bleeding, the cramps, the exhaustion.
None of them had anything malignant, or endometriosis or anything like that.
Yep, yep, yep. Just polyps in my uterus. Looked like a little mushroom forest.
They had ablations, which to my understanding burnt/scraped/charred out the uterine linings and prevented them from building back up again.
Yep, yep, yep.
To be more specific, my doctor did three things: 1) Gave me a D&C, which is a clean-out of all the bad stuff -- took out all those nasty polyps. 2) Did the ablation, which means she burned every square millimeter of my uterus. That idea terrified me, but I was soundly asleep and didn't know anything, so it was fine. 3) She tied my tubes. She said that between my age and the ablation, pregnancy was a very remote possibility -- but IF it happened, I wouldn't miss a period /might not realize it. She said the baby definitely wouldn't make it, and it could be life-threatening to me too. My doc said she personally would not do an ablation unless she ALSO did a tubal ligation.
All 3 of them were in their 40's at the time and seemed to feel immensely better afterwards.
Yep, yep, yep. I was early 40s, and I was immediately better. Well, I had to recover from being cut, but I definitely felt that my pain was from the surgery, not the troubles that I'd had before -- and I was completely recovered from the surgery in a week. I never had a period again, my problems disappeared 100%. This was a decade ago, and I've never regretted it for a moment.

In all fairness, I do have a friend who had the same problems and the same surgery -- and it didn't work for her. She continued with the bleeding and pain, and she had to go on to have the hysterectomy. She and I are similar in age and are both in excellent health. It just happens sometimes, and you can't know who's going to win /who's going to lose -- but , in my experience -- most people win.

I hope you'll have an excellent experience like I did.

Last edited:
I’ll keep my fingers crossed it stays for you - I was like your friend, it didn’t work for me. A hysterectomy taking everything except for my ovary (the other imploded just prior to the ablation) was done 12mths after the ablation and it had changed my life immensely.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed it stays for you - I was like your friend, it didn’t work for me. A hysterectomy taking everything except for my ovary (the other imploded just prior to the ablation) was done 12mths after the ablation and it had changed my life immensely.
This is just for my own curiosity - if the ablation procedure sometimes doesn't work, why don't doctors just "take the nuclear option" to begin with? If a woman is rendered unable to have another child, and perhaps didn't even want to anyway, why not just do a hysterectomy and be done? :scratchin

This is just for my own curiosity - if the ablation procedure sometimes doesn't work, why don't doctors just "take the nuclear option" to begin with? If a woman is rendered unable to have another child, and perhaps didn't even want to anyway, why not just do a hysterectomy and be done? :scratchin

I was offered a hysterectomy when I had my ablation done in 2009 but was told I would need to be off work for 6 weeks and just didn't have the financial ability to do that then. Mine was a great success although I had a hysterectomy in 2016 because of fibroid tumors. Getting rid of my period at 38 was wonderful!

I was told for YEARS that by doctors that my periods couldn't be as bad as I was saying they were, that the cramps weren't debilitating, I couldn't be throwing up because of the pain, was being a drama queen for laying on the sofa with my legs raised on pillows to try and stop the flow and the golf ball sized clots, etc. I had D&Cs done by a few different doctors, and two laparoscopies for severe endometriosis by the time I was in my early 30s. I was told by one male doctor to have a baby and that would take care of all of my 'female problems.' In 2015, I started my last period and had it nonstop from July to December. And I do mean nonstop.

I finally got a gynecologist who, after several tests and scans, told me that my uterus was so scarred from the endo that it was basically a hard lump that would *never* have expanded to carry a child, and that I wasn't a good candidate for ablation, but that I needed a hysterectomy. In January 2016 I had everything but my cervix removed, and WHOOSH! Instant freedom! I love not having my period anymore, am not on a hormone, and the only price I've paid so far for this extreme change is a few small hot flashes a day.

I had an ablation in 2012. Like you, it was almost immediate relief. The bloating, bleeding, and cramps went away right after surgery. Fast forward 7 years. My heavy periods have returned. As did my severe cramping. But now it is both predictable and bearable.

I had an ablation about 16 months ago, at age 48, due to extremely heavy periods. Even though I had my tubes tied a long time ago, we first tried birth control pills to regulate my cycle. That did next to nothing, except if my cycle did stop, I knew when to expect it to start up again. We finally decided on the ablation over a hysterectomy. I struggle keeping my weight under control, and have also struggled with anxiety and depression. The idea of possible hormonal issues that can result from a hysterectomy seriously scared me so I opted to try the ablation first. The procedure itself went well. I was sore that day (a Friday), but pretty much back to normal the next day, and returned to work on Monday. The ablation decreased the length of my cycle, but the heaviness was still there for several days. I think everyone who has had an ablation, or is considering one, knows how life altering heavy periods can be. Heavy doesn’t even seem to be an accurate description as it truly affects every minute of your day and night. But the ablation did limit those periods to days rather than weeks (or months!). We almost opted for a second ablation four months later, because I was still dealing with the heavy days, but I opted to wait a year for a variety of reasons. Turned out to be a good decision. I’d say the last 2-3 months my cycles have been back to normal for me. I’m still on the pill, and quite frankly, am scared to stop. Why mess with things when things are going well? The pill may have nothing to do with how well things are going, but right now, I’m not willing to find out.

As for the original poster, I hope you continue to feel well and that your ablation has been successful for you!

For me, my best friend had an ablation and it worked perfectly. 16yrs later and she still hasn’t had a period. With that in mind, we decided to try the “less intrusive” option as well. I’m self employed so the time off wasn’t an issue however I did have 3 young kids back then - hysterectomies can be quite overwhelming to recover from.

I was offered a hysterectomy when I had my ablation done in 2009 but was told I would need to be off work for 6 weeks and just didn't have the financial ability to do that then. Mine was a great success although I had a hysterectomy in 2016 because of fibroid tumors. Getting rid of my period at 38 was wonderful!
For me, my best friend had an ablation and it worked perfectly. 16yrs later and she still hasn’t had a period. With that in mind, we decided to try the “less intrusive” option as well. I’m self employed so the time off wasn’t an issue however I did have 3 young kids back then - hysterectomies can be quite overwhelming to recover from.
Thank you both for answering - that explains it. :flower3:

I had an ablation 7 years ago. My periods were lasting about 21 days, and 10 of those days were usually so heavy I couldn’t really leave the house. A miserable mess! I lived with that about 3 months, then did the ablation. I had it done on a Friday. Tiny bit of cramping Saturday, that was it! I have never had another period! I was 44 at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!