ablation--gross stuff is in this post, sorry

This is just for my own curiosity - if the ablation procedure sometimes doesn't work, why don't doctors just "take the nuclear option" to begin with? If a woman is rendered unable to have another child, and perhaps didn't even want to anyway, why not just do a hysterectomy and be done? :scratchin
You can’t get pregnant after an ablation (well technically you can get pregnant but you can’t carry a pregnancy).

You can’t get pregnant after an ablation (well technically you can get pregnant but you can’t carry a pregnancy).
Right - which is why I was curious about why they don't just take the uterus and be sure the problem is solved. As organs go, it's pretty expendable outside child-bearing.

Right - which is why I was curious about why they don't just take the uterus and be sure the problem is solved. As organs go, it's pretty expendable outside child-bearing.
An ablation is an easy outpatient procedure with few risks, and a hysterectomy is way more expensive and complicated with a much longer recovery. I had an ablation due to heavy periods and it was the best decision ever. Felt great the next day with just some watery pink discharge (sorry tmi). My sister had a hysterectomy and had pain, scar tissue and a long recovery.

This is just for my own curiosity - if the ablation procedure sometimes doesn't work, why don't doctors just "take the nuclear option" to begin with? If a woman is rendered unable to have another child, and perhaps didn't even want to anyway, why not just do a hysterectomy and be done? :scratchin

My doctor said that she always goes down a list from the easiest to hardest options. She will make you try the ablation first because it has a lot less side effects.
Hysterectomy is not something to take lightly.

Hysterectomy is not something to take lightly.

I did love my decision to have one, and for me the six-week recovery time was much easier than some other womens' experiences, but I agree with this statement. I hope I didn't come off as taking it lightly in my post. In my case, nearly 40 years of absolutely horrendous persiods made the decision an easy one for me personally, but I understand that my experience may be in the minority.

I did love my decision to have one, and for me the six-week recovery time was much easier than some other womens' experiences, but I agree with this statement. I hope I didn't come off as taking it lightly in my post. In my case, nearly 40 years of absolutely horrendous persiods made the decision an easy one for me personally, but I understand that my experience may be in the minority.
You totally didn’t come off like that.🙂 Just stating my doctors protocol. Women need to weigh the options and do what is right for them.

I think doctors really don't like having to do hysterectomies if they don't have to. I had huge fibroids my doctor wanted me to just remove them. I had been having horrible periods, I am 35, and told her I don't want kids. She made me wait a week to give her an answer of what I wanted to do even though I told her I wanted a hysterectomy. Part of my reasoning was that even if they are removed they can come back even just a few months later. Once she agreed I had to fill out tons of paperwork, even my insurance company wouldn't approve it until I signed a bunch of stuff saying I know what a hysterectomy is and my options.

Thanks for all the replies. It's comforting to read that many women have had different experiences. My swelling came back over the weekend, I think maybe my activity level was too high--went to a wedding and then yesterday I was tearing out the garden, carrying heavy pots and bags of mulch and dirt. But I have swelling without pain so I'll take it! And it's not whole-body swelling, just my abdomen. I did start to bleed yesterday while doing the gardening.

Thanks for all the replies. It's comforting to read that many women have had different experiences. My swelling came back over the weekend, I think maybe my activity level was too high--went to a wedding and then yesterday I was tearing out the garden, carrying heavy pots and bags of mulch and dirt. But I have swelling without pain so I'll take it! And it's not whole-body swelling, just my abdomen. I did start to bleed yesterday while doing the gardening.
At this point I’d probably be back in consultation with my doctor, even if just to review what reasonable expectations are and whether or not your current condition falls within the “normal” range. It would be disheartening to find out you’ve landed in the rougher end of normal outcomes, but at least there would be some peace of mind. I hope it all resolves well for you soon. :flower3:

At this point I’d probably be back in consultation with my doctor, even if just to review what reasonable expectations are and whether or not your current condition falls within the “normal” range. It would be disheartening to find out you’ve landed in the rougher end of normal outcomes, but at least there would be some peace of mind. I hope it all resolves well for you soon. :flower3:
Thanks :) I did call today, my doctor wasn't in the office but his nurse told me to go to the ER. I chose not to do that, I did my best to rest and not lift heavy things and my bleeding pretty much stopped and my pants don't feel quite as tight. I think I did too much when I should have been healing. If I wake up with swelling again I'll call the doctor.

I had an ablation about mid morning. Afterwards, DH and I went to Walmart for some shopping and then went out to lunch. I was at work the next day. I wasn't put under. Talked to the doctor through the procedure. Was offered a percoset which I declined because I didn't need it. It is waaay less invasive and less risky than a hysterectomy.

It worked for me. I went from heavy periods to a very light spotting the next month and then nothing. Well almost nothing. I have spotted twice in the past ten years.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: My doctor told me that my age + the ablation meant pregnancy was very highly unlikely ... but not impossible. She wouldn't do an ablation unless I ALSO had a tubal ligation. She said the possibility of pregnancy was remote but deadly, and she personally wouldn't put a patient in the position where that could happen ... not when it's so easy to add in a tubal ligation while you're already in the operating room.
Once she agreed I had to fill out tons of paperwork, even my insurance company wouldn't approve it until I signed a bunch of stuff saying I know what a hysterectomy is and my options.
I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm amazed at people who enter into business arrangements, etc. without full knowledge of what they're doing.
I had an ablation about mid morning. Afterwards, DH and I went to Walmart for some shopping and then went out to lunch. I was at work the next day. I wasn't put under. Talked to the doctor through the procedure. Was offered a percoset which I declined because I didn't need it. It is waaay less invasive and less risky than a hysterectomy.

It worked for me. I went from heavy periods to a very light spotting the next month and then nothing. Well almost nothing. I have spotted twice in the past ten years.
I can't say my ablation was THAT EASY, but then I had two other small procedures done at the same time.
In closing, based upon my personal knowledge, I think it breaks down like this:
- For most women having these problems, the ablation fixes things up, and they're "good to go" with the smaller, less intrusive, less expensive, quicker recovery procedure.
- A relatively small percentage of women have problems so severe that the doctor doesn't want to try the smaller procedure -- they go straight to the hysterectomy.
- A few women will have the ablation and it won't be "enough" ... they'll have to go forward with the hysterectomy. They're the real losers in this situation because they have to endure both procedures -- but no one goes into it knowing for sure where she'll fall.

I had the Novasure ablation about a decade ago. I didn't experience any pain afterwards, but it didn't work, I was bleeding again two weeks later. Additionally, the biopsy came back positive for cancer and I ended up having a hysterectomy anyway, six weeks later. I didn't experience any real trouble after the hysterectomy and it was the best thing I ever did. I hope things go well for you and the ablation works out, I think I just had bad luck, but if I hadn't had it we would never have known I had cancer.

Can I ask how you all got your doctors to do the ablation? I have had such heavy cycles for years, which results in the severe anemia and infusions also. I wear nothing but black pants and underclothes because it is always likely I will have a leakage issue and hate going out at all besides work during that time. I have seen a few gyn's over the years, most tell me to lose weight (which is so difficult with all the other issues I have) but the last one I saw said he wouldn't do anything unless I have tried all the other hormonal birth control options first. They are really pushing me to do the mirana, but I had such a bad experience with a copper IUD before (I know they are different). When I tried depo I got pregnant anyways, the one week I didn't bleed, and miscarried. I tried pills following his insistence, but stopped after the first month because I felt ghastly as I did when I tried them in my 20's. I haven't been back to the gyn since, why bother. I am so sick of not being listened to and pushed aside. At times it seems easier to deal with the crap I have, at least I know what to expect. I am almost 42, I have begged for a hysterectomy which I know is extreme, but why can't I find a doctor that will try the ablation?

I had a bit of a cancer scare for the last couple weeks. Yesterday my gynecologist took biopsies of my uterus and did an endometrial ablation. Is it weird that I feel fine now? Yesterday when I went into his office my whole body was swollen, even the lightest touch on my abdomen was painful, my blood pressure was high, and I was bleeding heavily. Today I feel fine and I'm not bleeding anymore! My abdomen is visibly less swollen, and I'm not having cramps. It's bizarre! I thought I was supposed to bleed after the ablation?

I only personally know a couple people who have had an ablation and they both described something different than what's going on with me, so I figured I should ask the internet :) Are there any ladies on the Dis who can tell me if my symptoms are normal? Now I've got to wait 2 weeks for the results of the biopsies, but I feel amazing, better than I have in a long time, so the wait's not even bothering me right now!

I had an ablation which worked really well -- totally stopped all of the bleeding and I felt great. However, because it was just a sample, the GYN was concerned that the part selected for biopsy didn't catch the actual pre-cancerous cells that could be there so 2 months later I had a hysterectomy. However, I didn't qualify for the laparoscopic one, and wound up being out 8 weeks. And she had a problem removing the cervix, so I still need to have pap smears.

I feel for all you ladies out there. Us guys have no idea what y'all go through. My wife had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Tuesday. She's doing pretty well considering. She had iron infusions and they would work for a while but the symptoms would come back. We weren't having any more kids so she decided this was the best option and her doctor agreed. Her uterus was 2.5x the normal size. Out of work for 6 weeks but she has a great benefits at work so she will be fully compensated for time off. After insurance it cost about 3K.

This is not always true. I mean, its unlikely, but I do actually know someone who had a baby after an ablation.

Can I ask how you all got your doctors to do the ablation? I have had such heavy cycles for years, which results in the severe anemia and infusions also. I wear nothing but black pants and underclothes because it is always likely I will have a leakage issue and hate going out at all besides work during that time. I have seen a few gyn's over the years, most tell me to lose weight (which is so difficult with all the other issues I have) but the last one I saw said he wouldn't do anything unless I have tried all the other hormonal birth control options first. They are really pushing me to do the mirana, but I had such a bad experience with a copper IUD before (I know they are different). When I tried depo I got pregnant anyways, the one week I didn't bleed, and miscarried. I tried pills following his insistence, but stopped after the first month because I felt ghastly as I did when I tried them in my 20's. I haven't been back to the gyn since, why bother. I am so sick of not being listened to and pushed aside. At times it seems easier to deal with the crap I have, at least I know what to expect. I am almost 42, I have begged for a hysterectomy which I know is extreme, but why can't I find a doctor that will try the ablation?
I just asked my dr. I was 34. But i'd had my tubes tied when my 2nd kid was born. I had like 3 wk long periods but they were very light. After 3-4 diff birth control pills trying to deal with it, I just asked if we could do it, and she said yes. Had it done 2 weeks later

I have asked mine as well and was told no because I was too young. I was mid to 30ish. I was with doing the ablation you wouldn't have any symptoms of cancer. My mom and my sister both have had it done. My periods are not bad until the last day when I get huge clots with lots of blood. Like I bleed through a tampon and pad in minutes. Then it is gone. I can't leave the house this day because I never know when I will bleed through. They are really trying to get me to do the mirana too but I do not feel comfortable doing it. I take BC pills and skip a period so i only have one every other month. I was doing better for a bit but know it is starting to happen again. I go for my yearly exam in a month. I am at the point of just take it out I am done. Hopefully I can talk her into something since I am now 40.

I have asked mine as well and was told no because I was too young. I was mid to 30ish. I was with doing the ablation you wouldn't have any symptoms of cancer. My mom and my sister both have had it done. My periods are not bad until the last day when I get huge clots with lots of blood. Like I bleed through a tampon and pad in minutes. Then it is gone. I can't leave the house this day because I never know when I will bleed through. They are really trying to get me to do the mirana too but I do not feel comfortable doing it. I take BC pills and skip a period so i only have one every other month. I was doing better for a bit but know it is starting to happen again. I go for my yearly exam in a month. I am at the point of just take it out I am done. Hopefully I can talk her into something since I am now 40.
This is ridiculous that they won't do it. If a 30 yr old man wanted a vasectomy, they'd do it without question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!