• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about 2 bedroom lock offs at OKW

disgirl

DIS Veteran
For those of you who have requested a 2 bedroom lock off at OKW with other family members or friends staying with you, do you feel the same privacy as if you had a seperate studio and a 1 bedroom? The reason I ask is I just booked 5 days for my ds, dh and myself for a 1 bedroom at OKW for President's week 2006(only for 5 nights). I would love to ask my dad and possibly my single brother to come. Dad will turn 80 in Dec. and I thought this might be a great birthday surprise for him. I originally thought I would book a studio for dad at OKW and possibly my brother(same room) at the 7th month mark because I only have BCV points left and do not want to borrow. I wanted to have some privacy so I thought a 1 bedroom and a studio would be better, but of course, I would like us to be close in the same building etc. Especially if my brother does not come, dad would be alone and it would not be very convenient if we were far away. I know OKW is so big and they can not guarantee requests like having two rooms close together.

Would love to hear opinions and experiences from all of you experts. THANKS! This would be only our 2nd trip to WDW as DVC members, staying first at BCV this August so all this studio, 1 and 2 bedroom accomodations are new to us. Also, can anyone tell me about how many 2 bedroom lock offs there are at OKW. Thanks again! :sunny:

tough one - completely depends upon them.

I have gone with friends who know me and left me alone.

I have gone with family - who not only took over the livingroom area - but part of my bedroom too.... I had to go to the pool to escape them and sure enough about a half hour later they found me.

just depends.

Weeelll, I think you usually save points by booking a 2 BR vs. a 1 BR plus lockoff.

This is what I'm doing next December at BWV: I went ahead and booked the 2 BR knowing it was a lock-off. But I'm checking family member into the studio (plus an additional studio). It's my intent to feign surprise that our rooms are "right next door to each other", not let them know their key opens our room, keep the connecting door locked and maintain our privacy. Hope this works.... ;)

Thanks for the response Spiceycat. I guess I'll discuss it with dh and see what he says.

dis-happy Yes, you are right I think we would save 17 points by booking the 2 bedroom lock off instead of a seperate studio and 1 bedroom. I hear you when you say you are going to keep the connecting door locked and act surprised. It is not that I do not want my dad or brother around, it is just that I like having my own space for my immediate family when away. I do not mind an evening or two where we all hang in the "living room area", however, that is where my ds, who will be 13 then, will be sleeping. I am just not sure what to do yet. Thanks again for your quick responses.

:confused3 decisions, decisions. Oh, I also wonder if it will be difficult to get a 2 bedroom lock off at OKW during President's week at 7 months. :sunny:

I guess for me and my family, I would simply discuss it before going down. "I know we would all want privacy at times, so how about this simple rule, if you close the connecting door, I know you want privacy and we will respect that as long as you respect our need for privacy when we close the door. Knock before opening please." I would also discuss a bedtime for your daughter before you get down there. Hubby and I have slept on the couch before during a family vacation and we simply said "sorry guys. I know its early for some of you, but with small children that get up at 6:30-7 ish on vacation or not, we have to go to bed." Worked out just fine.

If you discuss it up front, you will have less hurt feelings and less of a problem when you get there.

This past October I travelled with friends who were concerned about their "privacy." They had never stayed at a DVC resort before. Periodically they locked the door between the one bedroom and the studio but they loved "visiting" us in the one bedroom too. It was such a treat to see their faces when they walked into the living room at OKW!

Cyn

We have had guests who hardly showed their faces in the living room, and even would knock on the connecting door before coming in for breakfast! We have never had anyone abuse the common area, and I think letting them know that the connecting door is there, should they want something from the fridge etc, and during common time together would be fine. The key is to set the rules before hand so everyone knows what to expect.

Thanks everyone. I think I might actually do the 2 bedroom lock off if dh thinks that is good. That way I can be sure dad will be near us to have an occasional breakfast in the room with us, etc. I imagine that if we did do a separate studio and 1 bedroom we could even be in different buildings, right? Has this happened to anyone? That would be a drag. Now, I am wondering just how easy or difficult getting the 2 bedroom lockoff is for President's week at 7 month. I guess I will just have to wait and see. THANKS! :flower: :sunny:

OKW has regular 2 bedroom units unlike the other DVC resorts. They are called dedicated and are really great, all 1410 square feet. You can request a two bedroom lock-off that is a one bedroom with a studio attached, the studio has its own entrance and also an entrance doorway into the living room of the one bedroom, either would be great for your situation, both have doors for privacy. I would go with one of those situations not the one bedroom and studio seperate, you Dad will feel like he was left out if in a studio all by himself. :wave:

yes, in OKW it is very likely you MIGHT be in a different building. I would definitely do the lock off request, but even if you do the dedicated 2 bedroom, there is plenty of privacy.

I has a similar question and did a search on this thread - after reading these responses - I wanted to ask - If I request a lock-off - will it be guaranteed since this is what we would definitely want - or is this request like requesting non-smoking and not guaranteed.

I will need to make reservations soon for August 06.

AnnaS said:
I has a similar question and did a search on this thread - after reading these responses - I wanted to ask - If I request a lock-off - will it be guaranteed since this is what we would definitely want - or is this request like requesting non-smoking and not guaranteed.

I will need to make reservations soon for August 06.
Yes, at OKW lock-offs and dedicateds are seperate reservation status, so if you request a lock-off, that is what you will get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter