? about adult and child credits

The use of the plan as intended in itself is not unfair.
I agree. It is the plan itself that is constructed with an unfair allocation of benefits. (I never said the patrons of the plan were being unfair. :confused3 ) And your point about income taxes is important: The tax system is crafted to be unfair to folks without children: Folks with children are enriched at the expense of those without children. It it deliberately unfair, as a matter of public policy. Lewis explained, above, why Disney may have crafted the dining plan to be unfair.

Of course I think Disney would call it segmenting the market to increase overall profitability as well as sucking the life out of other attractions in the Orlando area. :rotfl:

There are many instances in the market place where the system does not necesarily treat all customers equal. It may be that I have become cynical but I have stopped getting concerned over it. For example teenage children that stay in a room with their parents are not subject to an extra fee but if you were to bring two more adults who are just a few years older then they do pay a fee. It isn't really fair to the all adult group but it is the way the hotel industry is. I just accept it.

bicker said:
I agree. It is the plan itself that is constructed with an unfair allocation of benefits. (I never said the patrons of the plan were being unfair. :confused3 ) And your point about income taxes is important: The tax system is crafted to be unfair to folks without children: Folks with children are enriched at the expense of those without children. It it deliberately unfair, as a matter of public policy. Lewis explained, above, why Disney may have crafted the dining plan to be unfair.

bicker said:
(I never said the patrons of the plan were being unfair. :confused3 )

My mistake. I think you had implied a lack of ethics and honesty but later said that you did not view it as unethical or dishonest to use the plan in this manner.

Right. I said patrons were being dishonest, initially, and then Lewis clarified things, and convinced me that that wasn't the case. That's when I realized that the plan was an unfair allocation scheme. Straight?

bicker said:
A couple would have incentive to lie about having children, just to get the credits at that lower price. So adding members to the party reduces the price: That's clearly an unfair allocation scheme: liars are rewarded.

I guess you had a problem with those posters who at least talked about adding phony kids to their reservation during the free dining promotion.
:rotfl: The first TS meal would more than pay for the unused one day base ticket.

Requiring park admission purchase tends to reduce the liars although I'm not sure how that will work with the DVC no pass policy.

One poster, who was staying in a condo, was looking for disboard members to add her to their reservation so she could get free dining. She was willing to pick them up at MCO and give them a grocery stop. Disney was the one providing the dining and I couldn't figure out what Disney was getting in this deal.

I guess you had a problem with those posters who at least talked about adding phony kids to their reservation during the free dining promotion.
:rotfl:
I think that was really got me going on this issue. No question that that's dishonest, right?

I'm on a soap box (hahahahaha). I'm telling people to do what is best for them and not worry about what others' think. Sorry, but I have seen you post about this so often and you are always talking about the dishonesty of others it starts to get irritating. I guess that it is also unfair that I pay the same for my hotel room as you do and I have children. Sorry, I disagree completely about it being unfair to people without children. I'm sure Disney loves any visitors, but if it wasn't for children wanting to go to their parks or parents saving every dime to take them, Disney wouldn't do quite so well! I would love to see what group spends more $$$ in the gift stores. I'm sorry, but I don't think they are being unfair to adults w/out kids, they might just be offering kids a little bit of a deal (not that much, if you ask me). If you look at Universal, they are now pushing a campaign that says kids stay, play and eat free. They obviously know that they make a lot of money when kids are there!
Bicker, I just read back the comment about my questioning your faith or religious principles. I absolutely was not doing that! Give me a break! I basically said that people should worry about themselves and not question the integrity of people that they don't even know. I can't see why faith would need to be questioned on a Disney Dining site. I don't go on this website to judge or be judged. (Sorry, I'll step down from my soap box now)

bicker said:
I think that was really got me going on this issue. No question that that's dishonest, right?

I'd hope it was a joke, I'd say it would be somewhere between being dishonest and fraud. Not really sure why you asked my opinion, is there really any doubt?

With people saying, "do whatever is best for you," I had to check, Lewis. :rolleyes2

bicker said:

Not only dishonest but making up kids to get free dinning is outright fraud and theft. On that I think we can all agree.

The way I look at it, Disney needs to deliberately offer an "incentive" to people with kids to use their restaurants. I think people with kids are more likely to go offsite for dinner (perhaps looking for better deals), bring their own food (at places with kitchens like DVC) or just eat at CS places and not do sit-down places. With the DDP child's deal, plus the added "incentive" of possibly being able to use some child's credits to greater advantage, families that come to WDW are much more likely to stay onsite ALL of the time and eat in their restaurants.

The dining plan and the Magic Your Way ticket set up are brilliant from their perspective. They get people for much longer stays because given the price steps, it is actually difficult NOT to justify a longer stay. They give you additional park days nearly for free (once you get past 4-5 days), and they sell you on a dining plan that captures ALL of your food dollars so you guarantee that seats will be filled at their restaurants and they know that you will never leave the property to give any dollars to their competitors. In return, they are offering everyone a "break" on price (the dining plan is a good deal if used correctly), and even more of a potential "break" to families with young kids - the most likely population to not eat at their nice restaurants.

For those "ethics police" on these boards, leaving aside the use of child credits, do you think that it is unethical to milk the DDP for more value than you actually pay per day? For example, if you did a lot of research you could find the absolute most expensive entrees available at CS locations and go to the TS restaurant that has the most expensive items available, just to maximize your "value". It is very possible, and probable, that if done that way, you will get foed for the day that is worth substantially more than the $37.99 you paid for the Dining Plan. Do you think that is "cheating Disney"?? Of course not! That is how the system is set up. That argument, to me, makes about as much sense as saying that people are unethical for using legitimately purchased child credits for adult meals if the child is not present or doesn't want to eat enough to justify his own child's meal at any given point, or even just in an effort to "maximize" value.

Tidus said:
I'm sorry, but it is just so funny that people want to say that others are being "unfair" or "cheating". Ohio... said it perfectly. Disney would change it if they thought that it was cheating them. Charging a 10 yr. old an adult price is ridiculous. Disney has no problems saying that a 10 yr. old compares with a 20 yr. old. Disney is doing just fine and it really is offensive that some people constantly accuse others of "working the system". Why do you feel the need to do that? You shouldn't be so judgmental. People work hard and are trying to save anyway possible. It is a tough economy for many of us. Does this mean we shouldn't be able to go to Disney? I'm sure some are thinking that we just shouldn't go. However, people want to be able to treat their kids to a wonderful vacation, while trying to save a few $'s here and there. Maybe I should take a class on Game Theory so that I can see how little integrity the rest of us have!

it's not that people on a budget shouldn't go to disney, but it does mean that by creatively jumping through loop holes these same people may just cause others to have to pay more in the future..
and by the way... i work hard for my money, and i'm not loaded with cash, but i don't see why i shouldn't voice my opinion that it's cheating.

It isn't cheating. That is where you are mistaken. Disney says that you can use them any way that you want!! Show me where it states that you must use your credits in a certain way. Is it cheating if my husband decides to use my snack credit and his for the day? No. You are allowed to use them any way that you would like. People take home rice krispy bars for gifts, using the snack credit. Is that cheating too?

A prior, lower end, meal plan became nothing more than a pre-paid discount plan. I think it was something like you paid $20 and got $25 worth of food.

Some of us hope the creative use of credits paid for at the child rate and MYW guests loading up the few restaurants that serve lobster won't cause Disney to gut the current plan.

I don't think the issue is with a few guests using a few credits, paid for at the child rate, to buy an adult meal. The concern is the internet suggestion of "using your children as a license to print money" might cause the practice to become so common that Disney decides to gut or even discontinue the program. The program would lose most of it's value to me if the non-Disney restaurants such at the Pepper Market (I don't think it's Disney run) and the WS restaurants drop out.

I have no basis for this opinion but I think we might be surprised at the number of guests who actually leave with some unused credits. Both times I used the plan I had leftover snack credits that I used the last day but I suspect some people just leave them.

Don't get me wrong...I love love love Disney! But, I am having a hard time feeling sorry for Disney if someone uses a child credit for an adult or shares a meal. I don't know if it is right or wrong or if "they" knew that the general public would try to do this sometimes. I am sure not going to claim to know! After reading alot on this subject lately I am wanting to say "give me a break." I don't even know how adding a fake kid on your package would even be a good deal. Are you not going to have to buy another park ticket for this fake kid? Even a 1 day ticket is $60. There are so many other things in life that are not ethical or fair that this almost starts to sound silly. Look at the millions of police officers who make 30K/year verses someone who bounces a ball up and down a court for several million/yr. How about a soilder's pay being so low that his family qualifies for food stamps. Or heck Eisner giving himself a $60million dollar bonus one year. Everyone or anyone is going to do what they can or want to do anyway. I would much rather see people start to stand up for bigger issues than just the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter