Accident at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Sigh*. What is going on with Disneyland? Are the forces of nature trying to tell management something? With all the drama occuring at the DLR, this has to be a crying shame!

I'm not saying its the fault of the suits, but all of the news of the paint peeling and cutbacks makes me very frustrated. There must be a curse on the park or something.

Perhaps I'm reading those rumor sites a bit too much these days. It is still depressing to read about this no matter how the accident occured.:( :( :(

This made the 11 O clock news in Pittsburgh, but they only said that five people were hurt, nothing major.

What's going on? This really does seem like a spate of bad luck for DL. The article didn't mention any strong wind, did it? How about rainer or drier than normal conditions, anyone know?

Well, at least Frontierland CM's got good marks for their initial response...Now if so many "suits" hadn't shown up to 'take charge!':(

The news last night was a complete spectacle. There were helicopter shots from at least five TV stations and even the local Spanish stations were having live remotes from the park. The haggard spokesman for Disneyland looked as if he wanted the tree to land on him instead. The Disney-owned ABC station here ran a list of all of all of the deaths and injuries that have happened at the park in just the last 18 months. This is really getting sad.

Years of poor maintenance, cutbacks, low morale, and fewer people in management that know about theme parks is killing Disneyland.

others might have different opinions and i dont think that in this instance it really mattered, but having been to both CA and Fl on several occasions recentl, I think the CA cast is lacking in comparison. THey seem much more like your average snot nosed teenagers just trying to make a buck. In Fl- the cast seems much more like 'professionals', or career minded, or likethey picked to work at disney 'cause they preferrd it there, not beacuse it was the closest or best pauing, etc.

Like I siad- this time it just seems to be bad 'luck' but the several recent trips to anahiem, i've been struck by the second rate help.

Years of poor maintenance, cutbacks, low morale, and fewer people in management that know about theme parks is killing Disneyland.

What does any of this have to do with a tree falling over?

Yeah, I'm with you HorizonsFan. I would like to see statistics on how many deaths occur each year due to trees falling. I am sure it is much larger than the number of deaths at Disneyland. I'm not quite sure how you can attribute an act of nature to budget-cutting, poor maintanence and careless management. Would prefer that that had trees made of steel with leaves of plastic anchored 20 feet deep and encased in concrete?

I think the CA cast is lacking in comparison. THey seem much more like your average snot nosed teenagers just trying to make a buck

Even my friends that work there say that...But in Disneylands defense they had to hire almost anyone they could because of the opening of DCA. They needed 3000 people and I don't even think they got half of that amount. Most of the staff particualrly Food service has been streched to 6 days a week sometimes including double shifts so if they seem snot nosed it might be because they've been working 16 hours a day....

I don't think Voice was refering to the tree. I believe that Voice was making a general statement to the status of Disneyland. Which I agree completely with..If you think the MK is in shambles come out here and take a gander at DL

My fiance and I heard about this on Sat on the news and he said it was Walt coming to haunt Disneyland because he is not happy with managment. It is coming up on his 100th b-day..you never know. If things start happening in WDW then we know its true.

Okay, it sounds like not everyone got all the facts posted......so here goes......according to our news here in San Diego, 29 people were injured, 5 had to be taken to the hospital, none of the injuries were life threatening. There was a 2, 3, and 4 year old hurt. I can tell you from personal sight that you could not see any trace of where the tree had been on Saturday, so I have to applaud maintenence and landscaping on all their hard work. I am relieved that no one was seriously injured, I think this is one of those act of God things that no one could have predicted. There were 4 steel cables that held the tree into the ground. The tree was a variety called a cork bark oak, I believe, known for retaining a great deal of water. Mousplanet has a great deal of information about the whole thing, including picutres, on their site.

As of this afternoon's news, two people are still in the hospital. Speculation is that the recent construction immediately adjacent to the tree damaged its root structure and loosed the soil. It was a beautiful sunny day when the accident happened - no winds and no rain for several weeks.

I was actually there that day and the day before. There were very strong winds on Thursday, enough so that my hat kept blowing off. A small limb was blown out of a tree on Main Street and landed on the park bench we were occupying. Our tour guide for Walt's Footsteps said it was rarely that windy. I'm guessing the previous day's winds coupled with the recent construction led to the problem. Trees really don't like for their roots to be disturbed.

I have to commend the cast members. They were immediately on top of it, clearing the area and getting in ambulances. And I can't remember the cast members at WDW being any nicer than who we encountered at DL. They were incredible.

I am suprised that some of the regulars to this board have not seen the truth behind this accident. It is obvious to me that it is once again evidence of Paul and Micheals insatiable, and clearly evil, desire to run a profitable company.
Many of you may not have heard of their most recent injustice. It seems that in an effort to get the plants and trees to actually work the amount of time that they are getting water and fertilizer for, Disneyland has a new TDS, or Tree Deployment System. The Deployment System has done away with the rotational system which basically allowed trees to grow for two seasons, change colors for one and go dormant for one, every year. The new sytem requires them to work what their Arbor Local 755 Union contract states, that they will get one season dormancy, and two half seasons of changing color for every eight years of work. This clearly caused this tree undue stress, and it got so exhausted doing the job it had agreed to do, that it simply fell over. It is now obvious to me that Eisners' super-villian tactics will not only destroy Disney, but the environment across the world. This tree was just the first sign of the growing decay. I'm saving my money, because doing a "Dennis Tito" seems the only way to escape the cataclysm if Eisner remains in charge.:)

I was at DL the day this happened, although we left about an hour before the tree fell down. The winds were VERY strong the day before, on Thursday. We were staying at the DL Hotel and the chairs on the balcony were blowing around, hitting the sliding glass door, etc. Hats blowing everywhere, branches blowing off of trees, etc., at the DL Hotel. It was pretty bad. So, it was no surprise to us that a tree fell down the next day. It was an old tree, someone told me that it had been there since the park opened. At one time there were 8 helicopters hovering over DL getting live footage of the downed tree and all the people scrambling around trying to figure out what the heck to do about it. It was pretty crazy...but like TDC Blue Fairy said, you couldn't even tell that anything had happened the next day. We were together and tried to find the place where the tree had been, and we couldn't find any sign of it. She finally asked someone, I think, and they told her. (lucky her, LOL!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!