Accommodation advice for NYC

emum

Australian Disney kid-at-heart
Hi All,

Been a long time since I posted here, but then it's been nearly 4 years since our last Disney trip (the horror! :sad:).

We're heading back at the end of this year, and wanting to spend 5 nights in/around NYC, but hoping to save a little $$ in terms of accommodation. Is it feasible to stay close to Newark Airport and commute to the city each day (I haven't booked our flights from SFO to the East Coast yet, so inbound airport is negotiable)? If not, what about Brooklyn or the Bronx? We'll be wanting to do all the usual tourist-y attractions, so any help greatly appreciated. I'm also thinking about staying at an AirBnB instead of a hotel if it means we can be closer to the city centre.

Thanks in advance,
Sally.

I'm from NY so I can help.

I personally wouldn't stay in Newark. It's definitely not a great area. I'd sooner stay in Brooklyn, queens, Hoboken.

How would you get back and forth to the city bc that would add up fast? Especially if it's interstate (NJ).

I'm from NY so I can help.

I personally wouldn't stay in Newark. It's definitely not a great area. I'd sooner stay in Brooklyn, queens, Hoboken.

How would you get back and forth to the city bc that would add up fast? Especially if it's interstate (NJ).

Thanks Daniela - much appreciated :) I was thinking train from Newark, but if it's not a good area, we'll stick with somewhere closer to the city.

I wouldn't stay in Newark but Jersey City or Hoboken should be fine. Just make sure you google the area and if it is close to the path or not. Flying into Newark is fine as you don't typically stay long. If you fly into La Guardia or JFK those airport hotels are fine but the subway rides and transit train lines can be long so depends on how much saving time is worth saving money.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I've found somewhere suitable in Long Island :)

I definitely wouldn't stay in Newark. It was a nightmare just getting there for our flight! I love New York, but I would be thrilled if I could go the rest of my life without going to Newark Airport again!

Both times I've been to New York I've stayed at the Hotel Edison, which is right near Times Square (which suits me as it's close to all the theatres which is usually where I end my day!).

We are headed to NYC this sept. Have decided to stay at home2 suites in Long Island. Suitable for a family of 6, free breakie, close to subway and cheap! Paying approx $270 US a night.

There are lists of deals tonne had right in Manhattan. You just have to look. It's not unheard of to find a Holiday Inn Express or Marriott Residence Inn at the 200-230 range, including breakfast. My favourites are Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South and the Residence Inn at Lexington and 3rd. Holiday inn is first choice though. Great location.

Also. Watch the rates. They fall and you can call back to secure a cheaper rate.

Thanks for the continued help everyone!

I booked Courtyard Long Island earlier today (no penalty for cancellation tho'). I should add that we're in NYC over NYE, so nothing is truly "cheap" ;) That said, it had good reviews, and is super close to subway. It's essentially a place to lay our heads each night, so hoping it serves the purpose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!