Accommodation Advice

KRFillion

Mouseketeer
Hi Folks.
Planning our April 2020 Trip. Struggling with accommodation options.

We are a family of 4 (2 kids, 14, 11). When we travel we typically use airbnb as we like the space/bedrooms. For this trip we are going on a cruise first April 13-18. We have a place at Windsor Hills booked for April 18-26. We are doing the Disney Parks April 19 - 21 and then Universal April 23-25 with a day off on April 22nd. I booked Windsor Hills because we wanted the space, as well as a washer and dryer as we will be on vacation for 17 days and will need to wash clothing.

The last time we went to Disney was in January 2014. The weather was cooler and we were able to do rope drop until close each day. I'm worried about it being hot in April and possibly needing to take a mid day break to cool down. I don't want to leave the parks, but I should probably have a plan for it if the weather is hot.

Windsor hills in close enough for us to leave the Disney parks for the afternoon and come back at night. But Universal is much farther. Would it be best to Switch to a Universal hotel on our day off April 22nd for the last 4 nights? This would allow us to go back to the hotel and swim if too hot. But we are giving up space and price. Sharing a small hotel room is not ideal for my 2 teenage kids, if you know what I mean.

Staying onsite is great

No real down time to reach the parks in the morning

You will be able to return to your onsite hotel at Loews UO for break time if heat is an issue

And it’s nice to catch some pool time during the park day

To save time, I would relocate and stay onsite for your Universal dates

Travel time won’t be an issue then for your family
It will be a time saver

Both Cabana Bay and the Endless summer resorts will have suites that will give you a bit more space.

I've stayed in the Cabana Bay Family Suite with two teenage boys...it is really the way to go. Three beds mean the boys don't have to share, and for the price its a steal. You do give up the laundry and some space, but the bathroom is split so one person can shower and not take up the whole bathroom, plus the little kitchenette means it feels bigger than a hotel room.

thank you for all the responses. We ended up booking Hard Rock Hotel for our last 4 nights and cancelling the airbnb for that portion of the holiday. Looking forward to it now!

The last time we went to Disney was in January 2014. The weather was cooler and we were able to do rope drop until close each day. I'm worried about it being hot in April and possibly needing to take a mid day break to cool down. I don't want to leave the parks, but I should probably have a plan for it if the weather is hot.
As for the weather - we found april to be perfection! It was warm but not humid, so not uncomfortable. I know at least with WDW there are plenty of shows etc that you can sneak in during the warmer part of the afternoon.

But Universal is much farther. Would it be best to Switch to a Universal hotel on our day off April 22nd for the last 4 nights?
I highly suggest staying at universal at least for a night or two-- I say this because staying at least one night will get you the express pass, which will help with shortening your time standing in lines. So one night gets you 2 days of express pass - one for check in day and one for check out. If you did two nights then you would get 3 days of express pass. For what they charge for EP it is worth it to get a room onsite - royal pacific resort is the cheapest of the hotels that comes with EP.

Do check out the 3 premier rates as quite a few times have seen PBH having the better lower rates of the three hotels

So much depends on dates and days of the week for room cost when you book

thank you for all the responses. We ended up booking Hard Rock Hotel for our last 4 nights and cancelling the airbnb for that portion of the holiday. Looking forward to it now!

You'll love HRH! Our son was the age of your youngest the first time we stayed there and he loved it! He'll soon be 18 and we'll be going back for our 4th stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts