Accountability-I Need It!

jsmla

DIS Veteran
I'm under doctor's orders to improve my fatty, fat, fat laden diet. Actually, I've been under orders for several years now. It wasn't until recently, though, that I found myself lying in a cardio cath center with a tube stuck up my groin. That sort of thing will make a person sit up and take notice. At 56 this is the first time I've ever had to deal with the consequences of my lazy, self indulgent lifestyle and, IMHO, it sucks eggs.

Does anyone out there like My Fair Lady? I love it and there's a lyric that goes like this:

With a little bit of luck
When temptation comes you'll give right in

That could be my theme song. I have zero willpower, zero. I always start out with all of these oh so noble intentions. It may last the day, maybe, if I don't come up with a good excuse. My list of excuses is endless.

It's too hot.
It's too cold.
I'm too sad.
I'm too happy.
I'm bored (tired, hungry, nauseated).
I deserve (earned, need) it.
It's Christmas (Thanksgiving, Easter, National US Postage Stamp Day)
No fair!
Life is short.
Well, just this once.

And on and on.

DH is on the keto bandwagon so there is always a ton of butter, cheese and bacon in the house, a ton.

Unless I eat it all while he's at work.

I'm actually jealous of the dog because she has someone controlling every bite that goes down her gullet. This is not normal.

Anywho, I've decided to start a W.I.S.H. Journal and see if the illusion of accountability will do anything. My hopes, I'll admit, are not high.

Sooo....

Saturday 9/2/2016

Food

Breakfast
Smoothie made with
-1 banana
-5 strawberries
-handful spinach and arugula
-1/2 c frozen mango
-1/2 c plain f/f yogurt

tea

Lunch
1 c whole wheat penne sautéed with
-2 tbs olive oil with sautéed garlic
-1/2 c frozen green peas
-1 small tomato
-handful spinach/arugula
-2 tsp shredded Parmesan

water

Snack
handful of Skittles (Excuse, I'll paraphrase Sir Edmund Hillary-because they were there.)

Dinner
4 oz grilled salmon
1 c grilled squash and zucchini
12 oz beer (Excuse-Everyone else is having one!)

Exercise
Nil, nada, zippo (Excuse of the Day-It's too hot and it was suddenly VITALLY important that I spend that hour planning out my Magic Kingdom FastPasses for my September trip.)

I did spend an hour or so making a batch of super low fat chicken chili for lunches next week.

This was actually a pretty good day for me.

Now with pictures :-)

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Breakfast

1/2 c plain f/f yogurt
2T homemade low fat granola
2T blueberries
Banana
Tea

Lunch
Salad with:
-1 1/2 c mixed romaine, spinach and arugula
-1T Craisins
-1/2 large apple, diced
-1/4 c sliced red onion
-2 T walnuts
-1 T raspberry vinegarette
-leftover grilled salmon
1/3 small baguette
Water

Snack
Large bowl (maybe 1 c?) cantaloupe w/chopped fresh mint

Dinner
6 oz well trimmed boneless grilled pork chop w/ 1 T BBQ sauce
1 medium potato diced and roasted with onion, green pepper and 1 T olive oil
Water

(Couldn't finish this!)

Exercise
Nope

Our neighbor has a huge garden and we benefit big time. Yesterday we were gifted with a very large, very ripe cantaloupe. It's yummy but there is sooooo much. With DH on keto I see a lot of cantaloupe in my near future!

Happy Fourth of July!

Only a couple of pictures today. I took one of my breakfast smoothie but, as often happens with me and computery stuff, I've apparently forgotten how to use Photobucket since yesterday. Our morning went something like this:

5:30 AM
I am a glorious vision in my Mawmaw PJs as I sit in the Lazy-boy (or as DH calls it, the Lazy-girl) fiddling with Photobucket. Uploads went well. Time to share my awesome IPhone 5 food photography skills!

5:45 AM
I tap the little share box, nada. I tap again, zip. Tap, tap, tappity tap, tap.

5:50 AM
Perseverance is not my strongest suit. Tapping is a dull and frustrating pastime. If I'm going to be bored and annoyed I might as well make a dent in my pile of 2,379 unread emails.

6:15 AM
Back at it. Tappity, tap, tap, tap, tap. Shut stuff down, restart stuff. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.

6:30 AM
Poor, innocent DH comes downstairs.

DH: Morning, sweetie.
Me: Tap, tap, tap, tap TAP! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! I hate technology, I hate this stupid IPad! Hate! Hate! Hate! Snarl! Growl! Rant! Rave!
DH: (Beats silent retreat into the kitchen before whatever it is becomes his fault. We've been married for 35 years and he knows when the gun is loaded.)

At some point I gave up and uploaded pictures using my ancient (It is loaded with the 1997 version of Office.) laptop. I managed two before it crashed. A whole lot of profanity followed. DH suddenly realized that he needs to leave for work early today.

So, after several hours of effort and a bunch of swearing here goes:

Breakfast
Smoothie (fruit, yogurt, arugula/spinach)
1/2 c cantaloupe with 2 T blueberries (ate half)
Tea

(You're really not missing much with no pictures of this. My smoothies taste just fine but look a little like what the dog upchucked that time she got into a tub of sour cream and onion dip.)

Lunch
Bowl of the chicken chili soupy thing I made on Saturday topped with 1/4 avocado
Tomato and cucumber with pepper and a drizzle of basalmic reduction
1/3 small baguette
Fruit left from breakfast
Water

image_zps1rnziq7y.jpeg

Dinner
Fajita chicken cooked with onion and green pepper
Romain
Avocado (1/4)
1/2 tomato, chopped
2 T purple onion, chopped
2 low fat tortillas

Afraid I also had three beers and am still MIA on the exercise front. I may have also had a piece of fruit pizza. Depends on who was looking. Excuses:

-It's freaking hot here, like surface of the sun hot with 80% humidity.
-There was an ice chest chock-a-block full of cold frosty beer on the back porch.
-I've been so good, so very very good, I deserve beer. (and maybe fruit pizza)
-Working out sucks.
-I feel that the Fourth of July is best celebrated standing around on the porch drinking beer while waiting for the private fireworks show put on by the ritzy subdivision next door. We are definitely not ritzy and have had many, uhm, disputes over our differing aesthetics with the denizens of this particular neighborhood. I'm pretty sure they're less than thrilled with our freebie glomming onto their, probably very expensive, fireworks show. Oh, well.

Last edited:
Edit*

I have a few questions I would like to ask that are posted below. I guess the idea if these questions is so the people who follow this thread have a better idea of what it is you are trying to accomplish other than just healthier diet. I guess with more info we have, the better we can help you with achieving your goals.

Are you following any sort of diet plan? If so which one?
Based on your profile pic I will assume you live in Louisiana... So for outdoor exercise you have two options during the summer. Wake up at 4 or 5 AM and walk/run/bike (what ever the plan is) to avoid the sun or wait till 7 or 8 PM to start. The morning routine is a much better plan that will allow you to have dinner at a reasonable hour.
What is your short term plan / long term??

Lots of folks on this board know more about nutrition than I do, but if there is something I can help you with I will the best advice I can. Good luck and keep working at it!

Last edited:

Happy Fourth of July!

Only a couple of pictures today. I took one of my breakfast smoothie but, as often happens with me and computery stuff, I've apparently forgotten how to use Photobucket since yesterday. Our morning went something like this:

5:30 AM
I am a glorious vision in my Mawmaw PJs as I sit in the Lazy-boy (or as DH calls it, the Lazy-girl) fiddling with Photobucket. Uploads went well. Time to share my awesome IPhone 5 food photography skills!

5:45 AM
I tap the little share box, nada. I tap again, zip. Tap, tap, tappity tap, tap.

5:50 AM
Perseverance is not my strongest suit. Tapping is a dull and frustrating pastime. If I'm going to be bored and annoyed I might as well make a dent in my pile of 2,379 unread emails.

6:15 AM
Back at it. Tappity, tap, tap, tap, tap. Shut stuff down, restart stuff. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.

6:30 AM
Poor, innocent DH comes downstairs.

DH: Morning, sweetie.
Me: Tap, tap, tap, tap TAP! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! I hate technology, I hate this stupid IPad! Hate! Hate! Hate! Snarl! Growl! Rant! Rave!
DH: (Beats silent retreat into the kitchen before whatever it is becomes his fault. We've been married for 35 years and he knows when the gun is loaded.)

At some point I gave up and uploaded pictures using my ancient (It is loaded with the 1997 version of Office.) laptop. I managed two before it crashed. A whole lot of profanity followed. DH suddenly realized that he needs to leave for work early today.

So, after several hours of effort and a bunch of swearing here goes:

Breakfast
Smoothie (fruit, yogurt, arugula/spinach)
1/2 c cantaloupe with 2 T blueberries (ate half)
Tea

(You're really not missing much with no pictures of this. My smoothies taste just fine but look a little like what the dog upchucked that time she got into a tub of sour cream and onion dip.)

Lunch
Bowl of the chicken chili soupy thing I made on Saturday topped with 1/4 avocado
Tomato and cucumber with pepper and a drizzle of basalmic reduction
1/3 small baguette
Fruit left from breakfast
Water

image_zps1rnziq7y.jpeg

Dinner
Fajita chicken cooked with onion and green pepper
Romain
Avocado (1/4)
1/2 tomato, chopped
2 T purple onion, chopped
2 low fat tortillas

Afraid I also had three beers and am still MIA on the exercise front. I may have also had a piece of fruit pizza. Depends on who was looking. Excuses:

-It's freaking hot here, like surface of the sun hot with 80% humidity.
-There was an ice chest chock-a-block full of cold frosty beer on the back porch.
-I've been so good, so very very good, I deserve beer. (and maybe fruit pizza)
-Working out sucks.
-I feel that the Fourth of July is best celebrated standing around on the porch drinking beer while waiting for the private fireworks show put on by the ritzy subdivision next door. We are definitely not ritzy and have had many, uhm, disputes over our differing aesthetics with the denizens of this particular neighborhood. I'm pretty sure they're less than thrilled with our freebie glomming onto their, probably very expensive, fireworks show. Oh, well.

Your food is beautiful!!! Really, I needed some inspiration for what to eat now that I'm back on track with fueling. I wandered over here to poke around on the WISH board due to a friend's suggestion. I'm glad I did.

I also like frosty beers :)

I'm under doctor's orders to improve my fatty, fat, fat laden diet. Actually, I've been under orders for several years now. It wasn't until recently, though, that I found myself lying in a cardio cath center with a tube stuck up my groin. That sort of thing will make a person sit up and take notice. At 56 this is the first time I've ever had to deal with the consequences of my lazy, self indulgent lifestyle and, IMHO, it sucks eggs.

Does anyone out there like My Fair Lady? I love it and there's a lyric that goes like this:

When temptation comes you'll give right in

That could be my theme song. I have zero willpower, zero. I always start out with all of these oh so noble intentions. It may last the day, maybe, if I don't come up with a good excuse. My list of excuses is endless.

It's too hot.
It's too cold.
I'm too sad.
I'm too happy.
I'm bored (tired, hungry, nauseated).
I deserve (earned, need) it.
It's Christmas (Thanksgiving, Easter, National US Postage Stamp Day)
No fair!
Life is short.
Well, just this once.

And on and on.

DH is on the keto bandwagon so there is always a ton of butter, cheese and bacon in the house, a ton.

Unless I eat it all while he's at work.

I'm actually jealous of the dog because she has someone controlling every bite that goes down her gullet. This is not normal.

Anywho, I've decided to start a W.I.S.H. Journal and see if the illusion of accountability will do anything. My hopes, I'll admit, are not high.

Sooo....

Saturday 9/2/2016

Food

Breakfast
Smoothie made with
-1 banana
-5 strawberries
-handful spinach and arugula
-1/2 c frozen mango
-1/2 c plain f/f yogurt

tea

Lunch
1 c whole wheat penne sautéed with
-2 tbs olive oil with sautéed garlic
-1/2 c frozen green peas
-1 small tomato
-handful spinach/arugula
-2 tsp shredded Parmesan

water

Snack
handful of Skittles (Excuse, I'll paraphrase Sir Edmund Hillary-because they were there.)

Dinner
4 oz grilled salmon
1 c grilled squash and zucchini
12 oz beer (Excuse-Everyone else is having one!)

Exercise
Nil, nada, zippo (Excuse of the Day-It's too hot and it was suddenly VITALLY important that I spend that hour planning out my Magic Kingdom FastPasses for my September trip.)

I did spend an hour or so making a batch of super low fat chicken chili for lunches next week.

This was actually a pretty good day for me.

If you want to change, you can change. Believe me, I know. I spent my whole life beating myself much like you did in your initial post. I understand. I could bore you to tears with examples. BUT, I turned my life around. I had an eye opening event that made me sit up and take notice of how I was living and I did something about it finally. You can too if you really want it bad enough.

Do you plan to do any kind of exercise along with your diet? Do you track you calories? Once I began tracking my calories and saw just how much crap I was eating it really helped. I also read a few books that explained what food does to your brain and why you become addicted and those helped as well.

If you ever want to know what any of these resources are, or if you ever want to learn how to stop beating yourself up, let me know. I just don't want to overwhelm you with info if you aren't going to use it.

28780885089862752_YNuaO1aJ_c-300x170.jpg

Okay, I just spent at least 1/2 an hour typing a long explanation of what's up on the dietary and exercise front here at Green Acres before my ancient laptop decided to crash. No time to do it again so here's yesterday in pictures.

Breakfast
The drizzle is 1/2 c f/f yogurt, 1 t honey and a dash of cinnamon

Snack
Homemade l/f banana bread, leftover fruit salad

Lunch
Fourth of July leftovers

Snack

Dinner
Whole wheat penne sautéed with peas, tomatoes, spinach, arugula, garlic, basil and 2 t Parmesan

Last edited:
So this why I'm jumping on the healthy eating bandwagon. The doctor has been on my rear for several years about it. I pretty much solved that problem by avoiding him as much as possible. Late last year a couple of things happened-I began experiencing chest pains and my mother died from a stroke caused by untreated high cholesterol and blood pressure. It got me thinking.

The thing is I'm not good with change and preparing healthier meals that work for both DH and me was not going to work. DH is a huge carnivore and believes veggies to be a Commie plot, I get really sick of red meat really fast. My problems tend to center around refined flour and dairy fats. Our adult son has lost a ton of weight on a keto diet and DH decided to give it a try. I figured that since DH is primarily grilling meat for his meals I had a perfect opportunity to see what I could do to improve my own diet.

I love to cook and now that DH is no longer a factor I'm enjoying trying out new things.

Meet THE BEAST. We got a really good deal on it compliments of someone else's shattered dream of getting fit. This thing weighs a ton and they were willing to unload it cheaply to anybody willing to haul it down two flights of stairs. Now it sits in our newly converted fitness room, once again, abandoned. I do plan on using it, I'm just waiting until it feels right. I have nearly 30 years of failed attempts at exercising behind me and know I need to take it one thing at a time. For now this means opening the door so that I have to acknowledge my white elephant every time I pass.

Last edited:
Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Breakfast

Griddled low fat banana bread (I used egg whites and subbed out apple sauce for the butter.)
2/3 c mixed berries
Canteloupe lassi (f/f yogurt, 3 cubes canteloupe purée, 1 pkt Truvia, pinch cardamom)
Tea

I'd pretty much eaten all of the canteloupe that I could manage and there was still quite a bit to go. I ended up puréeing the rest and freezing it in an ice cube tray. It was really good in the lassi. :)

Lunch

I was out running errands midday and ended up skipping lunch. It's soooo hot here right now and the heat really zapped my appetite. Made up for it with a very early, fairly heavy dinner.

Dinner

Low(ish) fat bolognese with with whole wheat spaghetti

I had several tomatoes well past their prime and a terrible envie for spaghetti so I made a lower fat version of my homemade bolognese sauce. I replaced the ground round and Italian sausage with 1/2 lb ground turkey breast and 1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef which I browned, rinsed and drained. Since I was omitting the sausage I added extra fennel, oregano and red pepper. I also sautéed the veggies in stock instead of bacon fat. Wine would have been nice but we're out.

I had planned on a Caesar salad but I was STARVING and in no mood to faff around with lettuce. I didn't even wait for DH to get home! He had a filet and smoked sausage, again.

Snack
1 Popsicle leftover from the Fourth

Last edited:
Breakfast
Griddled low fat banana bread
Battered and bruised nectarine
Canteloupe lassi
Tea

Dropped my nectarine on the floor but there's very little fresh stuff in the house so I ate it anyway. The cupboards are a little bare here but I'm headed out of town soon and don't want to stock up. Probably going to be a lot of thrown together, awkward combinations in the next few days.

Lunch

Sandwich on whole grain bread with:
-2 oz teriyaki chicken breast
-lettuce, tomato
-brown mustard
Baby carrots
Water

This was a failed experiment. I like teriyaki but not, I learned, on sandwiches. Was a tad upset to have wasted 1/2 of the last tomato on this. Ate half. Now I need to figure out what to do with the rest of the chicken.

Dinner

Amy's black bean veggie burger on whole wheat bun with:
-lettuce, purple onion and the last of the home grown tomato (sob!)
-mustard, ketchup
Gherkins
Water

I eat a lot of black bean burgers but the Amy's brand was new to me. I had a coupon and decided to give these a try. It was okay but I'll probably go back to my favorite Gardenburgers.

Today was vaguely unsatisfactory food-wise. I'm not much of a sandwich person to begin with but it's just so extremely hot out that I thought I'd give it a try and not heat up the kitchen. I suspect that my lack of meal-time satisfaction led to the two Popsicles (one mid afternoon and another after dinner) I had as snacks.

I haven't tackled The Beast yet but did spend over an hour moving furniture and vacuuming and mopping the floors. That has to count for something!

Last edited:
Friday July, 8, 2016

I'm trying to eat up the stuff in the fridge before I leave so not the most appetizing or best balanced of meals today.

Breakfast

1/2 c plain Cheerios mixed with 1/2 c chocolate Cheerios
1/2 Almond milk.
Banana
Tea

I normally have this for a snack (There isn't usually a crate of Popsicles in the freezer!) but we're out of smoothie fixings and this was on hand.

Snack (?)

I used the rest of disappointing teriyaki chicken breast to make a big old pan of kinda, sorta fried rice. Fried rice is a clean out the fridge type meal here. This made 5 1 c servings. I put four 1 c bags in the freezer for later. Breakfast was very early and kind of skimpy so I had 1 c of fried rice late morning. This was for me a much better use of the deli chicken for me.

-3/4 c. Raw brown rice prepared according to instructions. (didn't measure after)
-1 T olive oil
-6 oz Boar's Head Teriyaki Chicken Breast, diced
-1/2 medium onion, sliced
-1/2 medium green pepper, large dice
-4 cloves garland c
-8 oz frozen mixed veggies
- 2 t crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
-soy sauce to taste

Lunch (late)

Chicken shish kebab with peppers and onions (leftover from DH's dinner)
1 c mixed spinach/arugula with 1/2 cucumber and basalmic drizzle
1/2 small apple
Water

Dinner

I was craving comfort food so made a pan of low fat cornbread and got a container of my homemade pinto beans from the freezer. I'm no food photographer bit I defy even the most skilled to make a white bowl full of brown beans look appetizing, no matter how yummy they may be!

1 c pinto beans made with well trimmed tasso
1 wedge lower fat cornbread
Water

Snack

Popsicle (only one left!)

Last edited:
Your photos are great. Lol about a bowl of beans... So true.

This thread is becoming a source of food ideas for me. I've forgotten what I like to eat. Your meals are pretty simple and doable.

Your photos are great. Lol about a bowl of beans... So true.

This thread is becoming a source of food ideas for me. I've forgotten what I like to eat. Your meals are pretty simple and doable.

Thanks so much for the nice reply! I' a big fan of quick and simple!

Week 1 Successes, Failures and What I've Learned

This was a pretty good week for me, even with all of those Popsicles! I made it through a holiday without a lot of major cheating. I'm not trying to become some sort of clean eating master so I'm not going to worry (much) over a few cheats here and there.

The Good

Beverages

I gave up a fairly major decades long Diet Coke addiction a few years back for financial reasons. After a few weeks I lost my taste for soda and now only drink it when we travel-one less bad habit to deal with today!

Coffee has been a little rougher for this lifelong coffee addict. (Babies in 1960s South Louisiana were practically weaned on coffee milk-a mixture of a little coffee, a lot of milk and goodness only knows how much sugar. My much loved MIL cut straight to the chase and used sweetened condensed milk.) I take my coffee with a lot of half and half and a good two teaspoons of sugar. I can't stand the black stuff so I've replaced my morning cup(s) with unsweetened iced tea. I make a big gallon jug of it two or three times a week and keep it in the fridge. It's been crazy hot this week and the tea was refreshing.

I've always been a big water drinker. While growing up we only had stuff like soda and Kool Aid for birthday parties. Water and sweet tea were unlimited. I suspect I drink more water than the average person, just because that's what I've always done. As an adult I've always kept a glass/bottle of water at hand, even more so once I quit the Diet Coke.

Food
July is an excellent time for someone like me to begin a heathy eating campaign because of all of the gorgeous fresh produce. I didn't put in a garden this year (I was out of town for almost all of April.) but friends and neighbors have kept us supplied with lots of homegrown tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and yellow squash, not to mention cantaloupe and blueberries. Gardens are beginning to peter out down here and I suspect I'll be hitting the fruit stand and Whole Foods next week.

I've learned to have Scott (AKA DH) grill chicken and veggies for me when he has the BBQ going for his steak, chops, sausage, etc. This makes quick meal preparation a snap.

I went from cheese at almost every meal to just a few scant teaspoons of Parmesan here and there and, much to my surprise, it hasn't been that bad. This has the added bonus of becoming a major budget saver. I tended toward expensive artisanal cheeses and Scott is fine with (and actually prefers) cheese sticks and the orange blocks of cheddar from the cold cuts section.

I may have had several beers and a slice of fruit pizza on the Fourth but I didn't eat:
-cheeseburgers
-hot dogs
-bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed jalapeños
-chips
-twice baked potatoes
-cheese from the snack tray
-my own baked beans made with, oh, a whole lot of bacon, tasso and brown sugar
-butter on my grilled corn
-cupcakes
-homemade ice cream

I'm going to call Fourth of July a win.

The Bad

I would have preferred to not have eaten all of those Popsicles but we needed them for the Fourth and I have issues with throwing stuff out. I also happen to have a very ungrownup love of grape Popsicles.

A chicken teriyaki sandwich made with lettuce, tomatoes and mustard is nasty.

I didn't try them beforehand and blew $6.63 on organic green grapes that proved to be almost tasteless. Almost all of the fresh produce is gone yet these remain. In my defense my brother was with me and giving me some serious attitude about pawing every nectarine in the bin before selecting only three.

I've spent most of my cooking life preparing daily meals for anywhere from 4-7 people. I'm struggling with cooking for one. Thank goodness for the deep freeze!

In reviewing my meals I seem to be eating a lot more sugar than in the past. A lack of Popsicles in the freezer should improve this situation but I would still like to cut back a bit. Except for the Diet Coke thing I've always tried to avoid artificial sweeteners but I have begun experimenting a little with Scott's keto-approved Truvia.

The Ugly

The Beast still sits lonely, neglected and idle. I'm thinking I'll give it a go when I get back from Atlanta.

I really miss white bread, mayo and bacon.

I bake and love, love, love really good white bread. Crusty French baguettes, hearty sourdough, sweet, luscious brioche, I love it all, especially when dripping with rich, melting Irish butter. We switched to brown rice years ago and I'm fine with the whole wheat pasta but I just can't warm up to whole wheat bread, especially without butter or mayo.

My poor sad teriyaki chicken sandwich was a sorry, failed attempt to satisfy a longing for this:

Last edited:
Trader Joe's/local fruit stand haul

I know I said no produce but, apparently my life has no meaning without tomatoes. The blueberries and tomatoes are local from our fruit stand. Everything else is from Trader Joe's. Didn't plan on the strawberries but they were on sale Posting this to note the lack of sirracha flavored potato chips or salted caramel ice cream which have always been regulars on a TJ haul!

Last edited:
Saturday July 9, 2016

Breakfast

Griddled low fat banana bread
1/2 c blueberries with 1/2 packet Truvia
Tea

Lunch
2 soft tacos with
-leftover pinto beans (I added cumin, coriander, cilantro and chili powder.)
-onion and green pepper sautéed crisp-tender
-1/4 avocado
-4 T chipotle salsa
-2 low fat flour tortillas
1/2 small Apple

This really needed some tomato but we're out. I'm guessing it would have been better with corn tortillas as well. The low fat flour tortillas got a bit gummy even though I toasted them.

Dinner
I'm afraid I had 2 1/2 glasses of wine and a couple of strawberries for dinner. A neighbor dropped by so I fixed a fruit/cheese plate and a charcuterie board for snacks while Scott grilled. I really wasn't hungry (heat!) and only nibbled at the strawberries.

Last edited:
Sunday July 10, 2016

We spent the day at my father's house and I ended up skipping lunch. I really need to get a handle on this skipping meals thing. It's easy while I'm home but when away or we have company I usually simply can't be bothered. Due to last night's skipped meal woke up starving!

Breakfast

Smoothie made with:
-1/2 c fat free yogurt
-1 banana
-half dozen strawberries
2 homemade low fat blueberry oatmeal muffins (subbed yogurt and Eggbeaters for butter/eggs)
Tea

Dinner

Disboards was down at 4:30 this morning (while I was home and had access to a laptop) and I am having trouble uploading my dinner photo (tap, tap, tap, tap) here at Louis Armstrong International. I'll keep trying but for now it was:

4 chicken tenderloin strips leftover from last night on a huge salad of:
-romaine
-last of the spinach/arugula mix
-cherry tomatoes
-purple onion
-fat free ranch dressing mixed with a splash of chipotle hot sauce
Water

Back to tapping!

Got it! I feel so competent!

I'll be out of town till Thursday and have no idea what will happen diet and update wise. I expect a fair amount of cheating will be involved :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Afraid I was bad, bad, bad yesterday and it was incredibly wonderful. I started off okay:

Breakfast

Smoothie made with:
-1/2 c yogurt
-1 banana
-6 strawberries
-1/2 c mango
Coffee with almond milk and 1 pkt Truvia

I had the smoothie and coffee while driving to the airport. Our plane was delayed on the tarmac for over an hour so Southwest pacified us with peanuts, pretzels and drinks.

Things went tastilly downhill after that.

Lunch
DD picked me up and we drove to Ponce City Market for lunch. We shared:
Deep fried puri stuffed with potatoes and topped with yogurt
Chicken tikka on a buttery piece of naan
Paneer tikka on a slaw type salad

It was awesome!

Dinner
After FSIL (Future Son in Law) got home we went out for pizza. DD and I shared a margarita pizza-it was glorious. There was also beer.

So all in all I blew it, but oh, it was wonderful!

Last edited:
Afraid I was bad, bad, bad yesterday and it was incredibly wonderful. I started off okay:

Breakfast

Smoothie made with:
-1/2 c yogurt
-1 banana
-6 strawberries
-1/2 c mango
Coffee with almond milk and 1 pkt Truvia

I had the smoothie and coffee while driving to the airport. Our plane was delayed on the tarmac for over an hour so Southwest pacified us with peanuts, pretzels and drinks.

Things went tastilly downhill after that.

Lunch
DD picked me up and we drove to Ponce City Market for lunch. We shared:
Deep fried puri stuffed with potatoes and topped with yogurt
Chicken tikka on a buttery piece of naan
Paneer tikka on a slaw type salad

It was awesome!

Dinner
After FSIL (Future Son in Law) got home we went out for pizza. DD and I shared a margarita pizza-it was glorious. There was also beer.

So all in all I blew it, but oh, it was wonderful!

Yes, there are some great beers out there... Can't be ignored.

Wednesday July 13, 2016

Breakfast

Breakfast was eaten on the go-grande "skinny" lattes and cranberry scones from Starbucks. I'm just blowing it left and right but this is a special time and I want to embrace all of it. I'll get back on the wagon on Thursday, promise!

Lunch
We spent the day shopping for my daughter's wedding dress. I can't even begin to describe what it's like to see your baby girl come out of the bridal shop dressing room for the first time. There definitely were tears involved and laughter and joy. DD was so worried she wouldn't find anything (She's very petite.) but we saw at least three possible contenders so a successful day.

We celebrated at the Lennox Mall Cheesecake Factory with a little prosecco and a HUGE salad. This thing could have easily fed one or possibly two more people. The picture is what was left after both of us had eaten our fill. This one felt fairly healthyish but knowing The Cheesecake Factory I'm guessing it wasn't.

The remains of our Sheila's Chicken and Avocado Salad

Dinner
We walked over to a local Thai place-Panita Thai Kitchen. I had the whole fish cooked with lots of veggies and spices. This was very, very, very good but probably very, very bad at the same time. It's often like that with me and food. No pix because we were with FSIL and really just wanted to sit and enjoy our meal and each other without the intrusion of photography.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!