Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may have already slept in a room where a dogs have been - there are a lot of service animals at Disney.
I'm sure this is true, and you would never know this is the case, unless all of a sudden your symptoms are acting up?

Obviously I can't report on Disney hotels, but I have stayed at many dog-friendly hotels with and without my dogs. Some of them were nice Hiltons or Marriotts, some not so nice. Of all the hotels, I have only ever heard or seen the dogs in one. It was a SUPER pet friendly hotel in Florida (a Quality Inn & Suites) - they allowed any pets according to the guy at the front desk. Cats, lizards, dogs, whatever. It also was pretty cheap - something like $10/night/pet. The cost alone at Disney makes me think we'll see very few people bringing their dogs. Anyway, the super pet friendly hotel was still divided into two sides, pet friendly and non-pet friendly. I didn't hear dogs barking all day & night, but I would occasionally hear an excited bark as people came back to the room or something like that. I saw a cat sitting in the windowsill of another room. And I'd see people walking their dogs in the grass or to/from their cars every day. But this was the cheapest pet friendly hotel in a very pet friendly town, so I mean it when I say literally half the rooms in this particular hotel had pets in them. Even this super friendly hotel required dogs to be crated if they were alone in the hotel room, and they were not allowed in the pool or dining area. Once or twice in the dog walk area I'd happen across a poop that hadn't been picked up, but never at the front of the hotel. At other (nicer) hotels I've stayed at (without my pets), I was actually shocked to find out that they WERE pet friendly. My husband and I went to San Francisco and we didn't bring our dogs (the only reason we bring them on vacation is to take them around with us, not to leave them in the hotel room all day) and all of the Hiltons we considered staying at were dog friendly. We never saw or heard a dog at the hotel in SF. Same goes for the hotels I've stayed at in downtown Atlanta - I've never seen or heard a dog. I don't have pet allergies so I can't comment on pet dander in the rooms. At the Quality Inn & Suites I've never noticed pet hair or smells in the room, but it was a beach hotel so it's always kind of musty in there so maybe I just didn't notice it. None of the hotels informed me when checking in that they were pet friendly. I think the Hiltons etc. try to downplay the pet friendly aspect of their hotels. The exception again was the QI&S - they asked if I had pets and had treats for them, plus there was a sign in the lobby about the pet fee. That being said, with all the hullabaloo around this, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney puts little dog signs on the doors of rooms that are dog friendly, or something as you enter the lobby. On the other hand, any room you stay in could have had a service dog in it previously, so maybe not. But in my experience Disney tends to take the overkill route when it comes to Guest Services so I'm expecting lobby signs, and signs at the pool & dining areas "reminding" guests of where dogs are and are not allowed.

Also I'm currently booked at POFQ for January, but I'm considering changing to POR just to see if I notice the dogs. I won't be bringing mine (it's a solo trip and I plan on spending max time at the parks, plus I'm too poor to pay the fee), but I wouldn't mind petting other people's dogs if I see them around the resort. <3

Hi There!
I was hoping we could use this thread for actual dog experiences at the four resorts that are now designated dog-friendly. I know the other dog thread is going strong with lots of opinions, and was thinking that this thread could be for actual experiences rather than opinions.

I am very curious to see how this new policy will play out. I am also hoping we can see how Disney is enforcing their dog-rules.

So, if you booked a room for your furry friend, let us know how it went. Or, if you are a non-doggy guest but witnessed the new policy in action...give us feedback...good or bad :)

Since this dog policy is brand new, I suspect it may take 3-4 months before dog levels approach what will be "normal" levels under the new policy. Many people are not yet aware of the policy. Many people who are aware of the new policy probably won't arrange a new trip with dogs in the next month or two (some people, but not many not yet). So any reports over the next one, two or even three months will probably consist of "Hardly saw any dogs!". It may be something like March before we get experiences that will be representative of future normal levels.

Up to this point, person who have service dogs, haven't they been staying wherever? Have they been paying an extra fee for their dogs? Will they now need to stay ONLY at the 4 resorts?

I'd like to know how (and if) this affects them.

By federal law they can not charge extra for a service dog, but if the dog destroys anything than you can be charged if that makes sense, so no I don't pay the $50 per night fee, but if my service dog was to rip up a bedspread or pee on it than yes they can charge me for that. But they can not charge me an extra fee for cleaning, again unless my dog causes a real problem, so no extra cleaning because there may be dog hair, but if my dog pees on the rug than yes they can charge me.

By federal law my service dog is allowed anywhere the public is allowed, so no we do not have to stay at just these 4 hotels. I can go to any Disney property with my dog. I also have privileges afforded me and my dog under federal law, like I will be allowed at a pool ( not that that will ever happen, try to make a lab sit on hot pavement watching wet kids running in and out of a pool for an hour), I'm not into torturing the dog, so I don't bring him to the pools, although I have walked thru just to get my grown adults out of the pool area. We also will be allowed in the food court and restaraunts as we have been before and at the theme parks. Actually the only place Disney has not allowed my dog to go to date is on some of the tours at animal kingdom, I guess they don't have harnesses for her to walk a rope over open alligators

This will effect me, I can only speculate at this point, but will tell you for sure in Jan. Some of my speculations will be the constant stopping me to ask if the guide dog in a harness is a service dog, we have never been stopped at Disney before but I will assume that we will be now especially going into the theme parks and into restaraunts.

I will assume more questioning at front desk, is it a service dog, what service does it do, which is legal to ask, but has never been asked by a Disney staff ever. Both of these will just be conversation starter and I am sure I will be told about the good and bad of allowing dogs by each CM, let's hope it will not consume my vacation.

Again speculations, regular theme park buses will probably stop me more. As everyone will now need to know that service animals that have rights and not just pets are in the public places.

They speculations I have also is my dog being distracted by other dogs, it is bad enough She is distracted after long days of working because she is not on vacation, with smells and kids and food and crowds and animals, she will now have to deal with pet dogs who run up to her. And will pet owners who will start conversations and those no. Pet owners who will start conversations about the pet policies at Disney.

Other speculations, dogs like to pee where other dogs pee. My dog only pees outside, and only in my yard. Now we will have hotel rooms that have other dogs pee in them, which will be a distraction for her. My dog may run into other dogs flea problems although she has frontline it is still scary. My dog will run into other dogs who may have dog flu or heart worm, although my dog is vaccinated because she is a working dog it is not like I take her to dog parks or even to regular parks and expose her to these things.

I was told that no pet dogs will be in the alligator bayou section where service animals will be. But others have been told they could be and that they are able to book the rooms. So that will effect me and my dog.

Trigger warning: Someone planning to stay at WDW with dogs! You have been warned. :dog2:

So this post is just booking experience so far, but I will report back once the stay is complete.

We will be staying 1 night at Art of Animation with two dogs that are each ~25 lbs in early November.

Our family already had plans to stay over a week at a DVC resort before the changes were announced. Once we heard about the updated dog policy at 4 of the Disney resorts, I changed the reservation the night before the DVC stay was to start from a La Quinta in the Universal area to Disney's Art of Animation. Incidentally, most hotels in the Disney Springs area charge $150 to $200 flat pet fee, so Disney's $50 was far cheaper for a single night stay. That is also the same price per day to board both the dogs in the Orlando area. (Don't know about the cost of the disney kennel as it has always been fully booked whenever I've tried to make reservations!)

When speaking with the Cast Member regarding room types available to book with dogs, she said that they were restricted to the standard view Little Mermaid section and the Cars section family suites.

I was reminded during the booking that a print-out proving the dogs are up-to-date with their vaccinations will be required, that the dogs could not be left alone in the room for more than 7 hours (not a problem, since ours will never be left alone), if there was any barking reported we'd be required to be back to our room within 30 minutes. She also mentioned that they would be allowed on Disney's Magical Express in a dog carrier, but this was not relevant to us as we're driving. The pet fee will only be collected upon check-in, and we will also receive a map at that time showing where the dogs are allowed to walk. At absolutely no time are the dogs allowed in the shops, restaurant or pool areas.

We're very interested to see how our test case goes, but reading through some of the responses on other threads, I'm starting to be on edge that we're going to have to listen to angry rants while there.

While I am not a fan of the new pet policy, I hope it goes well for you (and should, since you indicate you'll be there with the dogs). Curious, though, where will your dog stay during the DVC portion of your vacation?

By federal law they can not charge extra for a service dog, but if the dog destroys anything than you can be charged if that makes sense, so no I don't pay the $50 per night fee, but if my service dog was to rip up a bedspread or pee on it than yes they can charge me for that. But they can not charge me an extra fee for cleaning, again unless my dog causes a real problem, so no extra cleaning because there may be dog hair, but if my dog pees on the rug than yes they can charge me.

By federal law my service dog is allowed anywhere the public is allowed, so no we do not have to stay at just these 4 hotels. I can go to any Disney property with my dog. I also have privileges afforded me and my dog under federal law, like I will be allowed at a pool ( not that that will ever happen, try to make a lab sit on hot pavement watching wet kids running in and out of a pool for an hour), I'm not into torturing the dog, so I don't bring him to the pools, although I have walked thru just to get my grown adults out of the pool area. We also will be allowed in the food court and restaraunts as we have been before and at the theme parks. Actually the only place Disney has not allowed my dog to go to date is on some of the tours at animal kingdom, I guess they don't have harnesses for her to walk a rope over open alligators

This will effect me, I can only speculate at this point, but will tell you for sure in Jan. Some of my speculations will be the constant stopping me to ask if the guide dog in a harness is a service dog, we have never been stopped at Disney before but I will assume that we will be now especially going into the theme parks and into restaraunts.

I will assume more questioning at front desk, is it a service dog, what service does it do, which is legal to ask, but has never been asked by a Disney staff ever. Both of these will just be conversation starter and I am sure I will be told about the good and bad of allowing dogs by each CM, let's hope it will not consume my vacation.

Again speculations, regular theme park buses will probably stop me more. As everyone will now need to know that service animals that have rights and not just pets are in the public places.

They speculations I have also is my dog being distracted by other dogs, it is bad enough She is distracted after long days of working because she is not on vacation, with smells and kids and food and crowds and animals, she will now have to deal with pet dogs who run up to her. And will pet owners who will start conversations and those no. Pet owners who will start conversations about the pet policies at Disney.

Other speculations, dogs like to pee where other dogs pee. My dog only pees outside, and only in my yard. Now we will have hotel rooms that have other dogs pee in them, which will be a distraction for her. My dog may run into other dogs flea problems although she has frontline it is still scary. My dog will run into other dogs who may have dog flu or heart worm, although my dog is vaccinated because she is a working dog it is not like I take her to dog parks or even to regular parks and expose her to these things.

I was told that no pet dogs will be in the alligator bayou section where service animals will be. But others have been told they could be and that they are able to book the rooms. So that will effect me and my dog.

Thank you for all the information. I don't know anyone with a service dog. Last trip we saw a person at AK. I asked her if her dog (which was sitting calm as anything) doesn't all the animals drive her crazy. She said Nope. Amazing.

Well, then if you don't have to prove that the dog is a service animal, I wonder if the number of "service animals" will arise just to avoid the cost?

I can say absolutely and that is my biggest fear. I am legally blind and until ADA in the early 1990 you hardly ever saw a service animal except the rear guide dog. ADA opened the door and seeing eye dogs became guide dogs, guide dogs became service dogs and so on and on. Here is a need, so don't get me wrong, but the amount of service animals has grown and my estimated guess would be that many of them are no more than pets with a service dog vest that you can buy on line. It is very hard to regulate when the law requires no certification, no license, no guide lines. Which is a double sword, and I u derstand both sides but I as a service dog owner still think they need some guidelines. At the moment any person anywhere can take any dog and put a vest on it and call it a service dog for the cost of the vest, or the price of a piece of paper. ADA makes no regulations, which I can understand, because it is very expensive to train a dog and if you can train one for your own needs that is great. My problem with it is, I feel there should be some guidelines, sorry I don't think pit bulls should be allowed to be service dogs, JMHO. I personally believe all service dogs should be spayed or neutered at the least, yet there is no regulation to that. I personally believe that all service dogs should be vaccinated and on flea and tick and heart worm meds, but there is no regulations. I believe personally that all service dogs should be able to pass good citizen canine class, yet there is no regulation.

I have had a guide dog for many years. Whenever I start to bring my guide dog into an establishment that I use on a regular bases, within months the amount of dogs quadruples. I moved 4 years ago, bring my service dog to bingo, they never had a service dog and we are talking Indian laws but they gave me no problem. Within months they started kicking fake service dogs out. And now four years later they still kick at least 1 fake service dog out a week, they have had flea problems, barking dog problems, bitting dog problems, dogs eating off counter problems and so on. Will there be more fake service dogs in the park to get away from paying the fee, yes. Although Disney already has a fake service dog problem and have no policies or practices to stop the problem JMHO. Actually I hope this forces Disney to find a policy to stop the fake service dogs.

Thank you for all the information. I don't know anyone with a service dog. Last trip we saw a person at AK. I asked her if her dog (which was sitting calm as anything) doesn't all the animals drive her crazy. She said Nope. Amazing.

Yes my dog sits calmly and quietly, but she is still a dog and when one other dog runs up and wants to play after we have been on a walk for 20 minutes i can curb her and she won't be distracted. But when we start incountering 5,10, 20 dogs running up into her face, in a place where there are so many distractions, yes it can be very distracting and very unfair to her.

I hope this helps someone - I arrive at Yacht Club this Saturday, Oct. 21st, and was on the phone to Disney this evening. I called to ask to be booked in a room that has never had a dog stay in it before, and has no dogs staying on either side of the room. Initially the person told me that they couldn't guarantee anything, and I nicely explained that I booked this reservation before the dog announcement was made, and if I had known, I would not have booked YC - and now I cannot cancel it without penalty. I was put on hold while she transferred me to a guest services person. He tried to move me to another resort, but there was no availability he said. Then he put me on hold while he called to speak directly with YC. He came back and said that as of today, there have been no dogs checked into YC, and in fact there has been only one dog checked in to Disney so far, at Art of Animation. He said that according to YC, dogs will only be allowed to stay in rooms on the first floor of the hotel. He said I will be assigned to a room on a high floor, and by Saturday there may not have been any dogs checked in yet at the resort. I asked how long this dog trial will last, and he said it's supposed to be a year long trial. I'll report back on whether I see any dogs around the resort, and how that seems to be going.
Thanks for adding your experience... I will definitely bookmark this thread and check back how it goes for everyone.
I don't see "a year" as a trial period. Seems like a done deal.

Why? Last month a pet wasn't allowed at any price. I'd think being able to bring your pet would motivate lying more then saving money.

The hotel is entitled to require proof of service dog status

By law that is not true. There is no proof a dog is a service dog and they can not require proof. They can ask if the dog is a service animal and they can ask what service the dog does, but many many many CM if giving the answers would not even no if the answers qualify.

Say a CM ask me, is your dog a service animal, yes. What service does he do. He guides me from point A to point B in a safe manner. That is a legitimate legal response. They can actually require you to give two examples of task, my next example would be she guides me around obstacles and up stairs safely.

Here are some of the responses I have heard, and cast members have no idea if the law is being followed.

Is that a service animal, she is a therapy animal. What service does she do, she keeps me calm, I have PTSD. NO not a legal ligitimate answer, to either question.

Is that a service animal, yes, what service does she do. I have diabetes. No not a ligitimate legal answer.

Is that a serive animal, yes. What service does he do, he carries the oxygen for my daughter. No not a ligitimate legal answer.

Yet all CM allowed the dog in because they have not been trained as to what a legal answer is.

Also I'm currently booked at POFQ for January, but I'm considering changing to POR just to see if I notice the dogs. I won't be bringing mine (it's a solo trip and I plan on spending max time at the parks, plus I'm too poor to pay the fee), but I wouldn't mind petting other people's dogs if I see them around the resort. <3
We are going to Disney in February and will walk over to AOA from Pop...I will be scoping out for dogs. I like the cute little ones. But...alas...I'm a cat lover, and I don't mind if responsible people bring their dogs. That being said, there are always those few who tend to ruin things for everyone.

Airlines are looking/pushing for a state or federal ID as they are seeing many passengers say they have a trained service or emotional assistance pet. Hubby had two service dogs on a flight a couple months ago, one clearly trained as it didn't acknowledge any passenger etc and was quiet. The other dog got on board and started barking at first service dog...hmmmm...which one is clearly trained? Since airlines cannot question the authenticity of the service dogs, he had them sit in different parts of the plane.

Just for information, airlines can question the ligitimatcy of a service animal and the only reason I was giving an ID card for myself and my dog from Guiding eyes for the blind was for airlines who have always asked for the proof. No other business is allowed to ask for a card. I hope the airlines can tell the difference from the fake cards you are allowed to buy on lines and those giving from schools that have been in business for 60 years or more like Guiding eyes for the blind.

The problem with airlines is they changed there policy and any emotional support dog, can fly for free in the cabin. Emotional support dogs are not service dogs, they are not trained and do not have public access. I'm not sure why airlines did this but they did and now you see a lot of barking, peeing dogs on airlines, I have seen two in the last year. Forcing me to fly first class with my service dog. And yes I always get the pilot, the staff to come and say how wonderful my dog is, how great to see a well behaved dog. About two years ago, I was traveling to Disney and the plane was delayed for three hours on the tarmac, I expressed co cern that the dog could make the 6 hour flight but worried about the 3 hours extra, although no passenger is ever allowed off a plane, they opened the door and allowed my dog to go with a staff member and go potty before we took off. I hope they will still give that service even though they have barking, biting, peeing dogs now on flights, because the staff do say this is getting way out of control. Everyone thinks there dog is so great.

I wanted to post my experience with dogs at Disney, albeit it was a different circumstance as it was during Irma. We were staying at POFQ.

Arrived and there were a couple dogs with their owners in the lobby. All were very calm and just looking around. It was adorable when Pluto came up to play, but the dogs were not barking or lunging or making any notice.

Over the next 2 days (Sunday & Monday, when the parks were closed) we often saw dogs on walks. Again, very calm. When it wasn't raining people were sitting with the dogs in the tables outside the food court; on Sunday (raining all day) I think I saw a dog inside the food court, but he was just laying on the floor. Never once did we see dogs going after other dogs or barking or lunging at people/children. We also never saw any discarded poop or other waste.

Turns out we also had a dog in the rooms on each side of us and we never heard them bark-didn't realize until we saw them on the walkways outside the rooms surveying the storm damage.

We noticed some lifeguards walking to the pool area on Monday and they were all over one of the dogs. In a good way-I think it was a lot of college program CMs who missed their own dogs back home! They were so excited to see the dogs and even commented on how they wished they always had dogs around the resorts! I never saw housekeeping grumbling about dogs being in the rooms.

So, really, I think this will end up being a nonissue. It seems like people are expecting packs of dirty dogs to be destroying rooms and having raves and getting their fur and dander everywhere. In reality, there won't be many dogs, as spending $50/day is a bit steep for most people on a Disney vacation. I just hope everyone calms down eventually!

I hope this helps someone - I arrive at Yacht Club this Saturday, Oct. 21st, and was on the phone to Disney this evening. I called to ask to be booked in a room that has never had a dog stay in it before, and has no dogs staying on either side of the room. Initially the person told me that they couldn't guarantee anything, and I nicely explained that I booked this reservation before the dog announcement was made, and if I had known, I would not have booked YC - and now I cannot cancel it without penalty. I was put on hold while she transferred me to a guest services person. He tried to move me to another resort, but there was no availability he said. Then he put me on hold while he called to speak directly with YC. He came back and said that as of today, there have been no dogs checked into YC, and in fact there has been only one dog checked in to Disney so far, at Art of Animation. He said that according to YC, dogs will only be allowed to stay in rooms on the first floor of the hotel. He said I will be assigned to a room on a high floor, and by Saturday there may not have been any dogs checked in yet at the resort. I asked how long this dog trial will last, and he said it's supposed to be a year long trial. I'll report back on whether I see any dogs around the resort, and how that seems to be going.
Just so you know, pets were allowed in the hotels during Irma, so there is no way of guaranteeing that no dog has ever slept in the room. I know of someone who had their 3 dogs at the Wilderness Lodge for 2 days.

[QUOTE=" It seems like people are expecting packs of dirty dogs to be destroying rooms and having raves and getting their fur and dander everywhere. In reality, there won't be many dogs, as spending $50/day is a bit steep for most people on a Disney vacation. I just hope everyone calms down eventually![/QUOTE]

Also, I feel like the people bringing dogs would more than likely be locals staying for a shorter trip...I look forward to the actual reports once this is fully implemented. I just don't see a parks vacation conducive to bringing Fido along.

Just FYI, your dog can't get heartworms from other dogs. It's transmitted strictly by mosquitoes & if she is on prevention there is no issue there.

I'm curious as to why Disney chose to implement this just before the busy holiday season, for so long a trial period and at four hotels. It would have made more sense to run a trial at one hotel for a couple of months during a slower season and then role it out elsewhere if successful and with the known problems resolved. Will people be allowed to walk their dogs along the Boardwalk?

I'm curious as to why Disney chose to implement this just before the busy holiday season, for so long a trial period and at four hotels. It would have made more sense to run a trial at one hotel for a couple of months during a slower season and then role it out elsewhere if successful and with the known problems resolved. Will people be allowed to walk their dogs along the Boardwalk?
Probably not, currently they're not allowed. Also in order to keep this thread open, let's please keep those kinds of discussions to the other dog threads, this one is more of a "trip report" thread. :)

Probably not, currently they're not allowed. Also in order to keep this thread open, let's please keep those kinds of discussions to the other dog threads, this one is more of a "trip report" thread. :)

I guess my question for this thread should be, is anyone seeing dogs walked on public areas like the Boardwalk and the path going to the Disney Studios?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter