Adding on Direct 25 points

huskerfanatic7

Mouseketeer
Once my resale contract closes I will be buying 25 points direct. Will I be able to pay using my Disney premier visa card? How much will closing costs be through the mouse?

I think so - I used my Disney Visa (not a premier, I got the freebie one). Closing costs were not much at all - less than resale, I think. Your guide will let you know. Welcome Home!

You can pay with any major credit card. I do not have a Disney Visa Card, so I do not know if it qualifies for the CC bonus. Closing costs for the 25 point contract were $104.40

//Edit: My contract was a 25 point SSR contract, which I purchased last Tuesday over the phone. Another property with a higher price, closing costs will probably be higher.

Last edited:
Yes you can use a visa and the closing costs will be around $107 on 25 points. The mf's are prorated. If you close prior to June 1 and can add on prior to June 1, then you will get 2016 points free as in given with no mf's for any uy June forward. If you have a uy prior to June then it'll just be 2017 uy on and mf's prorated from month purchased on. The mf's aren't billed until after the contract is closed. My guide said in a month or two I'll get a bill for the mf's. Member services will courtesy bank 2016 points even if you are past the banking period. It's a very easy process. they even sent a cute bag and package with paperwork to sign and FedEx back. Points are available within a couple hours of purchase. My visa showed as pending purchase until I signed contract and sent back.

My use year is August. so I will get 2016 points if I buy before august?

Yes. They may say it's some kind of "bonus", but it's actually standard practice.

Also, since you pay prorated maintenance fees on the 2017 points, *technically* you can save money the later in the year you buy, but it's not worth it. Depending on which property you're looking for you may have to waitlist for points.

I bought a stripped contract, but my plan all along was to buy the 25 point add on-- I therefore had 50 points to hold me over and book a small stay this year before I get my full allotment in 2018.

Disney visa in the past had a deal with zero interest for 6 months for a DVC purchase. You needed to get a code from your guide that activated the perk. Check out the program and restrictions before activating, I remember that there was something different about how the payments are applied.

:earsboy: Bill

You can use any major credit card. There does not appear to be a limit on how much DVD will let you charge. If you have the available credit, you could charge a 500 point direct purchase (or more). If you have the Premier Disney Visa, the charges do qualify for the 2% rewards.

For someone who will not be buying Annual Passes and wont be using DVC for Disney Cruise, there really is no reason to worry about direct vs resale, correct? We bought AKV resale this week and are excited but I see a lot of people adding 25 pointers direct and wondered if I was missing something.

I wont get a physical DVC card, 10% off at gift shops and I can't go to the Epcot Lounge from what I read but otherwise, I am good to go, right?

For someone who will not be buying Annual Passes and wont be using DVC for Disney Cruise, there really is no reason to worry about direct vs resale, correct? We bought AKV resale this week and are excited but I see a lot of people adding 25 pointers direct and wondered if I was missing something.

I wont get a physical DVC card, 10% off at gift shops and I can't go to the Epcot Lounge from what I read but otherwise, I am good to go, right?
Right!

sorry to hijack ...so confused...if my uy is mar 1 and I add 25 points on mar 1 I will only get 25 points for 2018 ...but if I add in jan or feb prior will I get a bonus of 25 points ?

sorry to hijack ...so confused...if my uy is mar 1 and I add 25 points on mar 1 I will only get 25 points for 2018 ...but if I add in jan or feb prior will I get a bonus of 25 points ?

No, you get what you pay for. If you have a March UY, you get points starting in your current UY.

To clarify, you are currently in your 2017 UY so you get 2017 points. If you had an October UY, you would be getting 2016 points and in October 2017 points.

Ever how you look at it you'll get 25 points for the UY of the day you sign up even if it's the last day of the UY. You can then bank those in that situation but it needs to be done then. In that situation it's basically bonus points with minimal additional dues. There are exceptions for new resorts or additions to existing resorts in some cases if a unit isn't coming online. You'll pay dues from the day you sign if your "unit" is available and the resort is open, otherwise you'll pay dues for the latter of when the UY starts for a new resort or from when the "unit" becomes available. Remember a unit is a grouping of sales not necessarily a single villa. Generally it's only a single villa for things like bungalows or a 3 BR.

Disney visa in the past had a deal with zero interest for 6 months for a DVC purchase. You needed to get a code from your guide that activated the perk. Check out the program and restrictions before activating, I remember that there was something different about how the payments are applied.

Thanks. just checked my Disney card and they still offer the 6 month 0% financing plus get 2% in rewards

The, "bonus" points come into play if you add on direct and purchase prior to current uy. So in your case if you purchased direct on March 1, 2017, you get March, 2017 points prorated from March-December, 2017. If you purchased on February 28, 2017 you would get March, 2016 no mf's and then March 1st you get the 2017 points. The mf's for 2017 would be prorated from February 28th-December, 2017.

For ccv it's different because ccv isn't open in March. The only way to get ccv 2016 points is to purchase a uy from after open onwards. So to get ccv 2016 points if I purchased on July 31, 2017 for an August uy, I'd get ccv August 2016 points no mf's and then August 1st I'd get 2017 points prorated for August -December, 2017. If I wait till the month of August, 2017 to purchase then I get august onward (no 2016 points) and still pay the prorated mf's for the 2017 uy.

Disney sometimes calls the current UY points, if someone is buying in the calendar year after the points, as bonus. But in fact, they are just current UY points. Right now, the only months in the 2017 UY are Feb, Mar, and April. All others are still in their 2016 UY. So, if you add on direct with any of those UY's, you are getting 2016 UY points, and all future points as well. As soon as June 1st hits, June will be in its 2017 UY so only 2017 will be given. When adding direct through Disney, if one can time it correctly and add on at the end of the UY, it is like getting "bonus" points in the sense you have double points to use right away, but they are points you are entitled to!

Not to hijack - but quick question. Is there a reason to purchase the resale first and then the direct 25 later? Does it matter which order they are purchased?

Not to hijack - but quick question. Is there a reason to purchase the resale first and then the direct 25 later? Does it matter which order they are purchased?
The minimum purchase amounts are different whether you're a new owner or already own a contract. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you buy direct first you'll likely have to buy at least 100 points; adding on as an owner already, you can buy as little as 25.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!