Adding on Direct 25 points

With each DVC/DVD management change, (and we have had a few), the rules and policies change, different direct minimums, different perks, included and excluded owners, deliberate resale contract processing delays, added fees. Unknown what they will come up with in the future.

:earsboy: Bill

Not to hijack - but quick question. Is there a reason to purchase the resale first and then the direct 25 later? Does it matter which order they are purchased?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you buy direct first you'll likely have to buy at least 100 points; adding on as an owner already, you can buy as little as 25.

For the most part, 100 point minimum is correct for new members, but some properties are 50 point minimums. These are only guidelines however and it all depends on your Guide. Guides though will not sell a new buyer anything less than 50.

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

As disneynutz has said, this can change at any time.

Not to hijack - but quick question. Is there a reason to purchase the resale first and then the direct 25 later? Does it matter which order they are purchased?

Yes, you can't buy 25 pts direct as a New buyer. Plus DVC will match up your UY with an add on vs if you buy a small contract first then you'd almost certainly want to match it and would be limited to that UY in your resale options. Get the resale first and there likely are at least 2-4 UY's that could work well and it opens up more contract possibilities.

Yes, it's essentially always best to buy any resale first then do any planned retail purchase as an add on second. There might be a specific exception but it'd be a very unusual and specific circumstance.

The minimum purchase amounts are different whether you're a new owner or already own a contract. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you buy direct first you'll likely have to buy at least 100 points; adding on as an owner already, you can buy as little as 25.
While I can't verify the validity, I have seen reports of 25 only as a stand alone new purchase in the last couple of years.

We have three resale contracts. What does disney charge per point to buy the smallest contract to get full membership benifits say at Poly or Bay Lake ??

We have three resale contracts. What does disney charge per point to buy the smallest contract to get full membership benifits say at Poly or Bay Lake ??

Bronte, haven't you owned for quite a few years and are already qualified and would receive all perks? Or was that just a "I was wondering" question?

Yes two of the contracts allow my husband, my oldest daughter and myself access to all the extra benifits but my youngest who is now 21 does not have any. She usually travels with us but I imagine as she grows up she will need her own membership card. She might be moving next year to attend graduate school so we have to make a choice before her home address changes.
I could add her to either of the first two or buy a new small contract through Disney. I think we shall add her because those direct prices are really high IMO.
The title company wants about 500 to do the change or as I understand it we can file the paperwork ourselves for a lot less.

Has anyone used a Chase Sapphire credit card for a direct purchase? would I get the 3X ultimate rewards points for travel?

Yes two of the contracts allow my husband, my oldest daughter and myself access to all the extra benifits but my youngest who is now 21 does not have any. She usually travels with us but I imagine as she grows up she will need her own membership card. She might be moving next year to attend graduate school so we have to make a choice before her home address changes.
I could add her to either of the first two or buy a new small contract through Disney. I think we shall add her because those direct prices are really high IMO.
The title company wants about 500 to do the change or as I understand it we can file the paperwork ourselves for a lot less.
Be aware that the minimum add-on is 25 points, but if you title it under different ownership, it's a new membership and the minimum is 50 points.

Also, please consider the ramifications of your 21 year old daughter being a part owner of your DVC contract. It will be an asset when considering financial aid. It would also be an unprotected asset if she gets in financial trouble. And, depending on the laws in your state, it could become a marital asset if she gets married. Ask yourself, would you want her to be listed as an owner on your home? The risk may be much smaller with a DVC contract, but it needs to be considered.

Can you buy 25 add-on points at any DVC property or is it only at your home resort?

Can you buy 25 add-on points at any DVC property or is it only at your home resort?

Any that they have points available when you call. Some resorts you might have to wait or to call back periodically to see if they've gotten any to sell if its one of the "sold out" resorts.

Thank you! I am on the left coast like JoannaK and chose AUL because of the better resale value, but am thinking about adding a little VGC.

It has to be the same UY and titled the same so it's a true add on. There are a couple of reports of people being able to add a different UY at 25 points where theirs wasn't available and a couple of new buyers able to get 25 pos only but you want them same UY anyway.

I called DVC Sales and a Guide was assigned to my account. VGC sold out; no add-ons. Was offered AUL.
Ask your guide to call you if he finds 25 points at VGC in your UY plus keep checking back. If you're doing 150 or more, you might consider getting any UY. Eventually you will get them if you want. You might be better off buying resale in this situation even at close to retail prices.

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a direct add on for AKV? Would I be able to find out before making an offer on a smaller contract?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter