Adding Resale Points at Different Resort Questions

brianilten

Earning My Ears
Hoping that some experts can help me and I apologize in advance if this has been covered...

We have been members since 1997 at OKW (August, 250pt extended to 2057). We need to add more points - we know we are going resale but the question is, if we buy at a different resort does it matter what use year we choose? Its going to be separate contract, so does it really matter??

TIA

Some people like having multiple memberships, but it's a lot trickier to manage. If you're unsure of the caveats and want less hassle, I strongly suggest buying your contracts with the same UY.

Mixing points from the two different contracts is more difficult if you have different UYs. You need to transfer between your contracts to make it work.

I just purchased a resale contract with a different UY (Apr) then my direct contract (Sep). At first I was concerned but for me it actually makes things easier. We like to travel at different times of the year so now depending on when we want to go I will select the contract that ensures that if I need to cancel a reservation I have time to bank the points or reschedule my trip.

For example, we want to travel next March so I will use my September points. If I need to cancel my trip I have time to reschedule in that UY or bank the points to use in the next UY. If I used the April points then cancelling a March trip could cause me to lose my points.

For trips to food and wine I will use my September points since we like to travel in Sep or Oct. if something changes I once again have time to reschedule or bank the points.

Hope this makes sense and good luck. Juggling points whether same UY or different can be a challenge.

Having the same UY makes things easier if you plan to try and mix points.
We have 2 contracts at different resorts with different UY and its not a problem keeping track of the points. We travel at different times of the year for each contract . One is set for the fall and one for spring. For us it sorks easily. YMMV.

Having the same UY makes things easier if you plan to try and mix points.
We have 2 contracts at different resorts with different UY and its not a problem keeping track of the points. We travel at different times of the year for each contract . One is set for the fall and one for spring. For us it works easily. YMMV.

Same - we use the 2 home resorts (so far always) to book at 11 months, and usually at different times of year: Feb UY for spring breaks and summer, and Aug UY for summer and winter holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas)

The other small benefit to having multiple memberships (UYs) is you get 2 waitlists for each. That's also not something I'd likely use, but it is another "feature" of structuring your ownership that way.

Thanks for the link... that explains it clearer than anything I have read anywhere else.

Just one more question - So if I were to add another 250pts at a different resort but keep the same use year, do I forego the 11mo window at BOTH the current and the new resort or just the new resort?

Thanks for the link... that explains it clearer than anything I have read anywhere else.

Just one more question - So if I were to add another 250pts at a different resort but keep the same use year, do I forego the 11mo window at BOTH the current and the new resort or just the new resort?
Your contracts will each have their own specific home resort priority. So contract #1 at OKW for 250 points can be used at OKW at 11 months out. Contract #2 at XYZ for 250 points can be used at XYZ at 11 months out. You don’t have to forego to period just can’t be combined until 7 months.

With the same use year you can easily combine points at 7 months out for any resort except XYZ contract would be restricted from Riviera and future resorts. If you have different use years combination is a bit trickier but easily managed by some and others don’t like it. Just a preference at that point to a degree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!