ADR on arrival day?

Rory607

DIS Veteran
Our dining window opens in a few weeks, so I’m trying to make a plan. Do you usually make an ADR on arrival day? Our flight is supposed to get into Orlando at 1:20, so we should be at the resort (Poly) by 3:30, hopefully? My H wants to make an ADR at Disney Springs, but we did that last time and I felt like it was so rushed and exhausting to go over there after traveling all day. We will have to leave the house by 5:30 that morning and I know we will be tired.

I suggested eating quick service at the hotel and letting the kids swim, but he wants something more exciting for our first night. We will most likely not have a park ticket for that day. I’m considering Artist’s Point, since it would be easier/shorter to get there. Is this a hard reservation to get? Or other suggestions?

I generally avoid an arrival night ADR because I don’t like to worry about rushing somewhere after traveling all day. I don’t like dragging my exhausted kids anywhere either if I can avoid it. We usually have QS (or if I’m placing a grocery order with Instacart I order Publix subs) and visit the pool.

If you still want to consider Disney Springs, I would make the reservation through Open Table. You can then cancel without penalty (it does not secure reservations with a credit card). There is also some great QS at Disney Springs as well.

Storybook Dining is a popular ADR and can be difficult to get but if you book at 180 days it shouldn’t be too hard. Have you considered staying at the resort and having Ohana or Kona Cafe (I haven’t been since the menu changed recently)?

I generally avoid an arrival night ADR because I don’t like to worry about rushing somewhere after traveling all day. I don’t like dragging my exhausted kids anywhere either if I can avoid it. We usually have QS (or if I’m placing a grocery order with Instacart I order Publix subs) and visit the pool.

If you still want to consider Disney Springs, I would make the reservation through Open Table. You can then cancel without penalty (it does not secure reservations with a credit card). There is also some great QS at Disney Springs as well.

Storybook Dining is a popular ADR and can be difficult to get but if you book at 180 days it shouldn’t be too hard. Have you considered staying at the resort and having Ohana or Kona Cafe (I haven’t been since the menu changed recently)?
Good tip about Open Table, thank you! I wouldn’t have thought of that. It would help if we knew we could cancel if the kids are just done.

We failed to get an arrival day reservation for Artists point at 180 days last week so definitely a desirable ADR.

We failed to get an arrival day reservation for Artists point at 180 days last week so definitely a desirable ADR.
That’s what I was thinking. Sorry you didn’t get it. Were you able to get it for another day?

That’s what I was thinking. Sorry you didn’t get it. Were you able to get it for another day?

We could have managed to get one for day 3 or 4, I think around 5.45pm. I’m still hoping for a cancellation for our arrival day. A character dinner that doesnt involve using a park ticket seems like a great way to celebrate the start of the trip.

Our dining window opens in a few weeks, so I’m trying to make a plan. Do you usually make an ADR on arrival day? Our flight is supposed to get into Orlando at 1:20, so we should be at the resort (Poly) by 3:30, hopefully? My H wants to make an ADR at Disney Springs, but we did that last time and I felt like it was so rushed and exhausting to go over there after traveling all day. We will have to leave the house by 5:30 that morning and I know we will be tired.

I suggested eating quick service at the hotel and letting the kids swim, but he wants something more exciting for our first night. We will most likely not have a park ticket for that day. I’m considering Artist’s Point, since it would be easier/shorter to get there. Is this a hard reservation to get? Or other suggestions?
I would look at what you could get when you arrive at the airport day of while waiting for the bus. we have had flights delayed by an hour or more too many times. could easy be 5 or later. I would go with your plan of quick service and a swim if up to it. you do not list kids ages but with younger kids I for sure do the quick service and relax that night

We always do Chef Mickeys on arrival day. It’s our tradition. It’s like a little taste of Disney without going to a park. Kids get their character fix and get to see the monorail. I know everyone hates the food but we don’t mind it. It’s just tradition for us. We just make the ADR for dinner that way we know for sure we’ll mske it, since we usually arrive at our resort around noon. We drive.

We always do Chef Mickeys on arrival day. It’s our tradition. It’s like a little taste of Disney without going to a park. Kids get their character fix and get to see the monorail. I know everyone hates the food but we don’t mind it. It’s just tradition for us. We just make the ADR for dinner that way we know for sure we’ll mske it, since we usually arrive at our resort around noon. We drive.
I thought about Chef Mickeys. I don’t love the food, but the atmosphere is fun!

Well we always do an ADR on arrival night and it would be close to you. We always start and finish vacation by a dinner at Ohana. My daughter loves those noodles.

Our last two trips we did an ADR on arrival day. Last year we were staying @ WL & ate at Trails End. This year stayed @ BC. Made ADR for husband at Cape May Cafe. My daughter & I went to the pool & had QS. Just give yourself plenty of time & keep it close to where you’re staying.

We did Hoop Dee Doo on arrival day on the last trip, and it was a fantastic way to kick things off! But we also landed at MCO before noon, and so we had a little bit of time to check in, get settled and then make the trip over to FW.

IMHO traveling is stressful enough that we never make firm plans the first day. What if the plane is delayed, someone is airsick or just really tired from a day of traveling?

We just head to DME without worrying how long the trip will take and when we get to our room we see how everyone is doing and plan from there. Sometimes we hit the pool like you mentioned and do QS dinner at the resort if everyone is on the tired side, other times we hit the MDE app to see if we can get an ADR on the spot if everyone is running on adrenalin and ready to go!

If your ok with loosing the per person fee and won't stress over it all day then go for it!

I would explore the hotel and do a quick service meal there, then if you’re tired or the flight is delayed it doesn’t ruin any reservations. You could then if everyone feels up for it go to Disney Springs or visit another hotel like Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals. Your kids will be happy enough exploring your own hotel though, having a swim and an early night and wake up ready for rope drop.

We rarely make an ADR the first day. We tend to leave the house around 3:00 AM and then are in travel mode until arrival time at the hotel somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00 PM. We generally wander over to Epcot or Disney Springs although next trip we'll order in since the resort allows FF to deliver via private dining.

Last edited:
Last time we made an ADR at Disney Springs (stayed at POR), thinking it would be fun to ride the boat over, wander around, eat, etc. We were really wiped and it made for a later first night than was necessary. This time I've made an ADR for the evening at our resort. (BW so Trattoria al Forno.) It wasn't one of our top dining picks, but we're going for ease this time around. And an early bedtime!

I don’t make arrival day ADR’s anymore due to flight delays. As PP recommended, look on opentable for DS reservations as they can easily be cancelled without penalty. Booking an ADR after you’ve landed is also a safe bet. You’ll have a better idea of how you feel then. You could also suggest to your DH ordering the Twilight Feast from Poly room service. It’s the O’hana meal and they bring it to your room!

I always make an arrival day ADR but not one that entails too much traveling. In your case I would look at that character meals on the monorail line. WE like CM but know we are in teh minority. I would consider 1900 Park Fare at the Grand. It is always fun, and you really can relax there, enjoy the "Family" and hop back on the monorail after dinner.

WE tend to be a bot stressed and tired on travel day, so I make the arrival night easy.

Last time we made an ADR at Disney Springs (stayed at POR), thinking it would be fun to ride the boat over, wander around, eat, etc. We were really wiped and it made for a later first night than was necessary. This time I've made an ADR for the evening at our resort. (BW so Trattoria al Forno.) It wasn't one of our top dining picks, but we're going for ease this time around. And an early bedtime!
Yes, our last trip we stayed at POR and we took the boat over to Disney Springs and we were exhausted. I feel like my H is remembering the relaxing boat ride and not how cranky the kids were at dinner! I have no desire to get back on a bus from Poly after traveling all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter