adSimba’s Impossible trip

adSimba

Always another adventure with Mickey
Hi my name is adSimba, my wife is CinderellaLove, We have a 6 year old son whom I will refer to as 'C'
10556249_10152575390602065_2475846957943153143_n.jpg

My thing is doing impossible things. I am, in my own way, magic, and people know it. Some of my powers include: Finding out everything (it is nearly impossible to keep a secret from me, even when I know there is a secret and do my best to not learn about it), Randomly picking the right items at the store (any kind clothing, grocery or hardware) to get a total (including tax) that ends in an even dollar amount, or at least a rounded quarter, and as I started with, doing impossible things.

Anyway, Mostly for my son, who will only be 6 at the time of our trip, I wanted to journal every aspect of our trip, so one day he can fully appreciate it. The first section is long, you should feel free to skip it.

Chaprer 1: The Back Story:

digcampics%2B005_resized.jpg

When I married my wife, in '05 and for the decade before that (since my first trip in '94) Disneyland was my favorite place on the planet, I was only able to go about once every other year, but I lived for those times. I imagined that being a man I would have to give up on Disney if I was to find a wife. Fortunately this was not the case, as a wedding present, my wife and I received annual passes to Disneyland, and a week at the Grand Californian. I had never had a better trip (and still haven’t) my favorite place with my favorite person.
digcampics%2B322_resized.jpg

On our third visit we finally made it to the Fantasmic! Dessert Buffet!

We renewed the passes once, and in the course of 2 years went 6 – 8 times, but by the end I am sad to say I stopped finding Disneyland to be magical, I was just too familiar with it. When Disneyland is magical, it is worth every penny, but when it is just fun… There are closer things I could do that are also very fun. CinderellaLove and I decided not to go again until they fixed DCA and the magic might be back for me. We still had no children and agreed to not take a child to Disneyland until they were 8, or at least out of the stroller and able to remember more than the hotel pool (which we had read is the top thing children under 8 remember), and handle multiple full days of walking and over stimulation. (unless a grandparent is coming to watch the kid)

Fast forward a few years and a lot happened, in '09 my only child is born, and I am diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer a few weeks later. After months of chemo and radiation I was all done with treatment and surgeries and given the all clear… then I got flesh eating bacteria as a result of the final surgery. I spent 3 more months in the hospital getting daily invasive surgery, but all while fully awake, because the doctors were sure if I was put under I would never come back. I did die (technically) a few times, but never for long. I was then fired because I had not gone in to work for 180 days, and legally they could. Not that I could have worked anymore anyway, it took me a year to be able to sit upright again.
digcampics%2B373_resized.jpg

All of this led to my being semi-permanently to permanently disabled. All these things combined I gave up on ever making it back to Disneyland, once, and for very long, my favorite place in the entire world.

Fast forward a few more years and my child is then 5, and after multiple surgeries and moving our entire family 1000 miles to a place where it is more affordable to live. To this point, my family has been on an extremely limited budget, we have had no frills since my child was born and any "vacations" were to funerals, and usually we had help paying for the gas and stayed with family.

July 2014 I learned about Amazon Mturk, and vowed that my family would make it to Disneyland before 'C' was too old to care about Cars Land like he would now. Anyway, Today, because of my ability to work that site (and my ridiculously extensive research), I have now been able to earn, save, and been gifted enough to take my family on our first real vacation since my son was born.

Last edited:

Chapter 2 : Planning Part 1:

Back in July 14’ when I told CinderellaLove that I was planning on a family trip to Disneyland, she was more than dubious. I can’t blame her, my proposal was insane, and dare I say it, impossible. Coming to our new home in Idaho meant that we could pay all of our bills on our own, and could eat out once in a while. It did not in any way add vacation money to our budget.

CinderellaLove said that she only wanted to go if it could be amazing, not as cheaply as we could possibly make it. She wanted to do all of the fun things our friends have been doing with their kids for the past 5 years. I assured her that it was totally possible, but because I am the insane Disneylandphile of the house, I am the one who had to come up with all of the ideas.

The first thing we had to pick was the hotel, this was the hardest choice we had to make while planning, either we stay on site for $250+ a night or we stay somewhere really nice off site and only pay $125ish. This is the one time where prudence won, after days of internet research on what people think about all of the nearby hotels we settled on the Best Western Stovall’s, I have stayed here in the past by myself, and really liked it, and there have been very few recent negative reviews.
stovalls4.jpg

One of the things I am not telling ‘C’ is that the hotel grounds are a veritable topiary zoo

That figured out, the next thing to do was get transportation. One day shortly after I started earning money for the trip, I was volunteering for a local nonprofit as a cashier and someone paid for their purchase with a Southwest Visa card. I looked into it that day and found that I could easily come up with enough rewards points to pay for our round trip airfare.
1332961916-385232_full.jpg

Things were really looking up for our trip. We decided to go all out and have a character breakfast, (Plaza Inn), World of Color lunch (Carthay Circle) and do the Fantasmic/Blue Bayou Dinner. (Actually we had plans to do the old Fantasmic! package and eat at Blue Bayou separately but in December they got combined and it worked in favor of our budget, amazingly enough.)

Beyond this I had little idea of what we should do, so I brought my story before the people of Reddit to explain why I was so unfamiliar with what was new to the parks, and to ask for advice, I was told about many awesome (and sometimes very expensive) new things (some may not have been new but I did not know about them such as Plaza Inn fried chicken).

Then something amazing happened! A DL Cast Member (who shall remain nameless) contacted me privately and offered to sign my family into the park each day of my trip. 4 day park hopper tickets for the three of us would be just short of $900. The generosity of this CM made the difference for us to take our trip from awesome to impossible.
DSC_1000-as-Smart-Object-1-copy-640x443.jpg

Chapter 3 : Planning Part 2:

So... Having just found that we would be saving a ton on our trip, CinderellaLove and I decided to dream big, we decided to go for broke and do the nicest dining packages for both World of Color, and Fantasmic! as well as indulging ourselves on the Chef's counter at the Napa Rose. (fortunately for us, we don't drink, because I can see that bill going up and up and up...) We also decided to really play up fooling 'C' and spend a few days in Salt Lake City (it costs hundreds less per ticket to fly out of there than our local airport) For Christmas we told him we would go to the Aquarium as a gift on the Saturday before our trip. We even made him a count down chain to go with it.
IMG_20150107_190013623.jpg
IMG_20150107_190002765.jpg
IMG_20150107_185948412.jpg

Yeah, it was pretty long, but it gave CinderellaLove and I myself chance to openly be super excited for Disneyland without raising suspicion. It's still working really well.

Since Christmas we have been watching as many Disneyland related movies as we have time for to get him ready, This past week I was ecstatic that he was ready to be interested all the way through Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Lastly, I just paid the advance fee for Photopass+, So once we come back from the trip there should be a lot of great photos for the report.

With all of the extras, and the bonus pre-vacation, This may be the best vacation 'C' will have until he goes on a Honeymoon.

Hi there, I am following along too! What a wonderful trip that you have planned, especially after all the hardships. Looking forward to your trip report! :-)

I'm following along too. You have me intrigued by Amazon Mturk. I cannot lift anything and I am limited in what I can do. Thank you for sharing your trip. I'm very excited for you!

Yay! I have followers! lol, I'm really excited!

Hi there, I am following along too! What a wonderful trip that you have planned, especially after all the hardships. Looking forward to your trip report! :-)

I feel really bad to think that I 'deserve' it, but I'm pulling out all the stops I can, thank you for your support

I'm following along too. You have me intrigued by Amazon Mturk. I cannot lift anything and I am limited in what I can do. Thank you for sharing your trip. I'm very excited for you!

Mturk has been amazing, since I have paid off the trip, I am now earning money to pay for dental work, because medicare won't pay for it...

Chapter 4: Our Itinerary:

This gets tricky, mostly because Disney keeps changing things around, but now, with 3 weeks to go, I hope they hold steady. The first thing I noticed was that DL is not having any parades during our entire trip except Friday afternoon at 4 and 6:30, and we already have Dinner reservations at 4:30. The other thing I notice is that the Springtime Roundup Keeps changing, and often is shows as happening on Monday the 11th, but currently it does show as happening at all.

That's what I get for having a trip the week before the 60th celebration starts. Anyway, barring further last minute changes here is our Disneyland Plan:

The 11th: Get to DL as soon as possible and be there for the rope drop,

9am: Ride Space Mountain.

9:20: Let 'C' decide what we are going to do, but stop if we are in the area and either Springtime Roundup or Mickey and the Magic Map are showing.

5pm: Head over to DCA (to beat the rush of people who will go because DL closes at 7:30 Ride Monsters Inc.

5:45: Get in line for the Aladdin show at Hyperion theater, get awesome seats.

7pm: kill time in Bugs land until just before twilight.

Twilight: Get to Cars Land for 'Sh-boom' moment, then get in crazy long line to Ride RSR.

The 12th: Get to DCA as soon as possible and be there for the rope drop,

10am: Ride RSR,

10:45am?: Get RSR Fast Passes

11:00am?: Toy Story Midway Mania

11:45am? Let 'C' decide what we are going to do

2pm: Carthay Circle WOC lunch

3pm: Let 'C' decide what we are going to do

8pm: Queue up for WOC

The 13th: A day of Rest, and perhaps gluttony

9:30am: Surf’s Up with Mickey and Friends (PCH Grill)

11am: Let adSimba & CinderellaLove decide what we are going to do (maybe a nap?) including try every flavor of churro at California Churro cart

5pm: get to Napa rose for Chef’s Counter Dinner with a non-alcoholic wine flight

The 14th: Picking up what we missed

9:00am: Get to Disneyland for Minnie and Friends Breakfast at Plaza Inn

10am: Let 'C' decide what we are going to do, including go to the other park, but head straight to Pirates of the Caribbean if we didn’t get to it on Monday, and pick up adSimba and CinderellaLove’s past favorites we didn’t get to yet (if any)

The 15th: Hitting all the favorites

9am: Everyone picks 3 favorites and we hit them all in the most sensible manner possible, add more if possible. Also Pick up any shows (like Springtime Roundup) we haven’t been able to catch)

4pm: Get to Blue Bayou for F! Dinner Package and hang out with Cast Member friend until we are exhausted. (Probably after the conclusion of the 9pm F! showing + fireworks)

We leave a week from today! CinderellaLove and I are very excited, somehow we keep coming up with things to buy for the trip...

When I made the chain I set a color for each day, today we ran out of our first color, (also the last day is a lie, we are taking 'C' out of school for vacation on Friday, not early Saturday morning like he thinks.)
11092110_10202977403275323_8570101443367816707_n.jpg

Chapter 5: Packing:

We leave tomorrow!

Today was a big day of packing and cleaning (nothing worse than coming home from an awesome Disney vacation to a dirty house full of chores) Since last year when we realized we'd be able to go to Disneyland we have been collecting really cheap Disney T shirts for 'C' so he wouldn't feel like he needed a $20-$30 one at the park:
IMG_20150507_092435630.jpg

The one in the bottom middle is from a thrift store, (technically it's the Disney World one but eh...) and the one on the bottom right CinderellaLove and I made with bleach.

I also finally collected our Disney Gift cards, there were 22, which makes for a pretty fat wallet, but since more than a few were gifts, and the others were super target discounted, won't complain.:teeth:
IMG_20150507_151058042.jpg

Now we just need to figure out how to sleep through the night :yay:

I'm so excited you get to go back to Disneyland! You definitely deserve this trip and am pleased that a Cast Member offered to sign you in to the Parks. I hope you have an awesome trip! I live locally and sometimes visit DL before I go to work but not this week (would have been fun to see you there!) Have a magical trip!

Yesterday was amazing, but more buzzy than I expected, granted 'C' was in charge, but we never stepped foot left of the Castle, we rode 15 rides in DL and rushed to DCA for Aladdin (which surprised me by how good it was) and also went on a bugs land ride, and RSR after dark (I slipped away in the afternoon and got from the last set of FP) with 12 hours and only 18 attractions, we did about one every 40 minutes... Hopefully we do better at DCA today!

Yesterday was amazing, but more buzzy than I expected, granted 'C' was in charge, but we never stepped foot left of the Castle, we rode 15 rides in DL and rushed to DCA for Aladdin (which surprised me by how good it was) and also went on a bugs land ride, and RSR after dark (I slipped away in the afternoon and got from the last set of FP) with 12 hours and only 18 attractions, we did about one every 40 minutes... Hopefully we do better at DCA today!

Sounds like you are all having fun! Enjoy the rest of your trip! Can't wait to hear more about it!

I'm so happy you get to enjoy a trip! Your story is very heart-warming. :daisy: I hope you are having an awesome time!

Whew, we just got home, about an hour ago, this has been the most intense week (medically related conditions excluded) I can remember. I'll have a lot to talk about when I can get my act together with all of our photos. Hopefully the first installment will be tomorrow.

Darn real life getting in the way, I've finished editing and cropping and picking from over 400 photos, now I need to sort them before I can start that report, this really is a lot of work...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter