"Adult" kids and the kids menu

WendyisDarling

DIS Veteran
I keep going back and forth on whether or not the DDP is right for us.

A question to help me determine my OOP cost to compate to DDP:
I have an 11 year old, who will want to eat off the kid's menu. I've read a few times that it isn't a problem but when I look at menus it says for 9 and under. Are there places (if so, which) that won't allow an 11 year old to use the kids menu or will charge more? (Ex. Coral Reef and Le Cellier look very much planned for young guests)

I do know we will have to pay full price at buffets ;)

I have an 11 year old, who will want to eat off the kid's menu. I've read a few times that it isn't a problem but when I look at menus it says for 9 and under. Are there places (if so, which) that won't allow an 11 year old to use the kids menu or will charge more? (Ex. Coral Reef and Le Cellier look very much planned for young guests)

When using the DDP you will use an adult credit for all meals, and yes your child can order a kids meal and use their adult credit.

When paying OOP, there is no problem paying the child price for your young 'adult'.

My picky 12 year old chooses his meal from the kids menu and gets an adult serving of the food. He also likes it because he can choose an adult dessert which is his favorite course. :lmao: When we were on DxDP we had him choose an appitizer that we all wanted to taste and ate a bite or two of it.

It seems to be the general consensus that children older than 9 can get kids meals when paying OOP. There may be a CM here or there who will question a child's age but for the most part, most people report that if they are paying OOP, even adults have been able to order a kids meal in some places.

We are going next month and have a DD 10. We decided not to do the DDP because she is petite and still mostly eats kids meal portions. DH and I are also lighter eaters so the plan would not have been a huge money saver for us anyway. We have several buffets planned and we will just see what happens. Since DD is petite and looks more like an 8 year old, we are hoping they will assume she is the child's rate but if they charge us the adult rate for her that will be fine. But at menu restaurants, she should definitely be able to order kids meals.

There is a big price difference between a child and adult in the DDP. If you have a child eating kids meal portions, there is no way you will spend $39.99 per day on their food unless you are doing a buffet every day and even then it would be close. If it were me, I would just skip the DDP and pay OOP for meals if you have a 10-12 year old who is a light eater.

I was wondering the same thing... we are taking advantage of the free dining and my son who is 14 is very picky (he likes bland food) I hope he will be able to order things like chicken strips and fries, or spagg,

I would love to have some nice dinners but not if he isnt able to eat... I just don't want to be having a food debate with him while we are there...

How about the buffets? is there always a kids area that he could get some food from ?

tlc

The buffets have a kids section with mac&cheese, chicken nuggets, etc.

Adults can eat from the kid's section, and kids can eat from the adult section.

OK then it seems the kids menu will work in most if not all places. :thumbsup2
This is changing the topic a bit (maybe need to start another thread). I am still trying to figure out all the math with the DDP and am about to go crazy (seriously, may be a reason to skip it, but if savings are good, I will endure).

We are family of 4 "adults". 3 will eat adult meals and one will eat from kids menu. We sometimes will do 2 TS in one day.

Is this correct? We could pay OOP for kids meals and save DS's adult credits and have additional TS meals?

Stop reading here, if you don't like math :goodvibes
if you are good with the DDP and numbers can you check this for me? I'm just looking at TS credits.

14 nights for 4 "adults" =56 TS Credits
Assuming we can pay OOP for kids meals and save one son's "adult" credits...
We could use our 56 Credits as follows:
12 TS "menu" meals (not signature) --36 credits and pay OOP for 12 kids meals
5 fixed price/buffet meals --20 credits (full price for all)

For us DDP gives us= 17 TS meals if we pay OOP for 12 kids meals (less than $120).

Basically, with this usage we will get 3 additional TS meals for everyone in our party for a total cost of $120?

We will use that many and maybe a couple more TS meals on the plan or not.

Is this fair or does it violate a policy?

We'd never use the regular DDP when my youngest is "of age", because he would only eat off the kids menu. No way I'd pay 39.99 for him to eat chicken fingers. Of course, if he ever expands his palate, then I'd reconsider.

OTOH, Disney loses money on my 14 y/o DS. The kid eats anything and everything and all the time! The plan works out REALLY well for him!!

OK then it seems the kids menu will work in most if not all places. :thumbsup2
This is changing the topic a bit (maybe need to start another thread). I am still trying to figure out all the math with the DDP and am about to go crazy (seriously, may be a reason to skip it, but if savings are good, I will endure).

We are family of 4 "adults". 3 will eat adult meals and one will eat from kids menu. We sometimes will do 2 TS in one day.

Is this correct? We could pay OOP for kids meals and save DS's adult credits and have additional TS meals?

Stop reading here, if you don't like math :goodvibes
if you are good with the DDP and numbers can you check this for me? I'm just looking at TS credits.

14 nights for 4 "adults" =56 TS Credits
Assuming we can pay OOP for kids meals and save one son's "adult" credits...
We could use our 56 Credits as follows:
12 TS "menu" meals (not signature) --36 credits and pay OOP for 12 kids meals
5 fixed price/buffet meals --20 credits (full price for all)

For us DDP gives us= 17 TS meals if we pay OOP for 12 kids meals (less than $120).

Basically, with this usage we will get 3 additional TS meals for everyone in our party for a total cost of $120?

We will use that many and maybe a couple more TS meals on the plan or not.

Is this fair or does it violate a policy?

I don't see why this will not work, if the "child" is young, and truely does not eat or want to eat that much at table service restaurants.

I was wondering the same thing... we are taking advantage of the free dining and my son who is 14 is very picky (he likes bland food) I hope he will be able to order things like chicken strips and fries, or spagg,

I would love to have some nice dinners but not if he isnt able to eat... I just don't want to be having a food debate with him while we are there...

How about the buffets? is there always a kids area that he could get some food from ?

tlc

He can also order things "plain" (without the sauces or whatever). Like if there's a chicken breast/steak/pasta with some sort of sauce, he could get plain chicken/steak/pasta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter