Adult with “kid food” diet

My younger son is a picky eater. Would not even eat baby food. I had to feed him chocolate milk with carnation instant breakfast in it until he was in elementary school. He still has only had a few foods he will eat. He has always taken a multi vitamin and is somehow healthy :)

For him, it was mainly a sensory issue. Foods had to feel right in his mouth.

Growing up, I always had to make a dinner he would eat, or make 2 dinners.

He just went away to college and has to feed himself. He is surviving on chick fil a and zaxbys. He did tell me he tried a salad. Baby steps!

My best friend brought his then fiance on a couple's trip I planned. I was the grill master for 24 adults so I planned a medley of meats and vegetables so that their was variety for all. My friends fiance ate first ahead of everyone and took 4 of the 6 perfectly cooked (imo) medium filets I made and ate only the very outside edges. Then threw out 80% of the middle of the steaks telling me they were undercooked. She only likes meat well done. I said why didn't you eat one of the 10 sirloin steaks I cooked and that you asked for. She said Oh, I don't like cheap cuts of steak so I decided to switch to the filets. I said ok, but you threw out $50 in steak, I could've grilled one of them longer had you asked. She replied no thanks.
They and I haven't been on a vacation since (or eaten together). She ate outside edges of filet mignon dipped in ketchup and mac and cheese that she scraped the bread crumbs topping off of. And she was over 30!

My best friend brought his then fiance on a couple's trip I planned. I was the grill master for 24 adults so I planned a medley of meats and vegetables so that their was variety for all. My friends fiance ate first ahead of everyone and took 4 of the 6 perfectly cooked (imo) medium filets I made and ate only the very outside edges. Then threw out 80% of the middle of the steaks telling me they were undercooked. She only likes meat well done. I said why didn't you eat one of the 10 sirloin steaks I cooked and that you asked for. She said Oh, I don't like cheap cuts of steak so I decided to switch to the filets. I said ok, but you threw out $50 in steak, I could've grilled one of them longer had you asked. She replied no thanks.
They and I haven't been on a vacation since (or eaten together). She ate outside edges of filet mignon dipped in ketchup and mac and cheese that she scraped the bread crumbs topping off of. And she was over 30!
I am gasping for air right now!
She would be banned for life.

I think we all have things we won't eat. Me? I don't like tomatoes, oysters or mushrooms. I will eat them in things, but not by themselves.

DH doesn't eat eggs or ham.

Everyone has hang ups. There is a huge difference between having hangups, or a limited selection of foods you like and existing on chicken tenders, Mac & cheese, and steak, etc.

My comments were directed at someone that limited and I sincerely apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone else as that was not my intent.
This.

My DS does have some texture issues. Mashed potatoes and rice are a big ‘no.’ BUT he’ll eat roasted potatoes and orzo. He doesn’t eat any kind of fruit except apples but he eats a large variety of veggies including ones most kids don’t, like Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Spinach and Onion.

I guess I could have been more clear with my posts. I just kept trying with him and did not fall back on “kid food.” I didn’t want him to be the groom that has grill cheese on his wedding day.

she has allot more going on than being a picky eater-she is self entitled and lacking in manners, common courtesy and appreciation.

i dated a man who had some definite food preferences/dislikes that were not in alignment with my own. his eating habits never impacted me or anyone who hosted us so it was a non issue. had he engaged in the type of behavior you describe it would have been over. i have a son with sensory issues that impact what he will/will not eat but he, like the gentleman i dated many years ago, was raised with manners and it would never occur to him to behave so poorly.

I was a picky eater as a child. My DS is picky but has gotten somewhat better as he has been living on his own (He gets his meals from Freshly and picks what he likes). There are a lot worse things in this world than picky eaters, I save my shock and outrage for the really bad folks. It's not really a big deal for a lot of people.

Not into food shaming in any form. We ate a lot of basic, simple meals when I was a kid due to money and time. My mom had 5-7 go to meals she could throw together.

As an adult I branched out and like to try new foods all the time, but I have to be careful the older I get due to stomach issues.

I do not eat fruit other than grapes and satsumas and the occasional watermelon. I just don’t care for it.

I hate when people shame people about this kind of thing. Stop worrying about what other people eat. People are either shaming picky eaters, or shaming someone for eating carbs, or telling the world they are on keto or vegan or WW or whatever. I don’t get it. It starts so darn early with the formula vs breastfeeding debate and it just goes on and on from there. Why????

I was very picky as a kid but have gotten much more adventurous as an adult.

However, I don't eat fruit of any kind. I don't even like to touch/hold fruit. The smell of the produce section of the grocery store makes me gag.

People who have diets that are intensely limited remind me of this from last year:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903091437.htm
Obviously someone else's diet doesn't affect me, but I would be concerned for their health.

I am only concerned with what the people in my household consume. I’m not about to tell another adult what they should eat or what their kids should eat. It amazes me how bold some people are when it comes to that. Yes there are very unhealthy people in this world. Junk food addiction is like drug addiction. It’s sad, but what can you do?

I think what you're really talking about is a severe limit in foods the person you know eats. It's not usually related to whether someone in the household is a good cook or not. I know someone who won't eat strawberries for texture, my own husband doesn't like cheese. He'll eat things with cheese like pizza and certain other foods but he would never want just cheese filled pasta or a sandwich or burger with cheese. My husband also will not eat eggs. He'll eat things made with eggs but he won't eat an egg by itself (though I only really like scrambled eggs). Cheese and eggs while quite basic food items aren't because he mom can't cook and didn't introduce him to different foods.

I don't necessarily call what you mention as kid food diet. FWIW I love getting chicken fingers out at restaurants especially with ranch yum, Minute Rice is a staple at our household, and those Capri Sun pouches I get from Costco from time to time lol. I'm confused on the steak part because that was not something I really ate as a kid unless at my dad's house and only for very special occasions probably because steak was considered something expensive. I never really ate steak much until I met my husband and his family where steak normal food rather than very special food.

Some people are just pickier. As far as nutritional level it's hard to know if that's the only thing he's getting his nutrition from but I would at least consider that probably a better diet than those who eat mostly fast food and only mostly fast food at least to my unknowledgeable in the nutritional value of what he's consuming way though.

Makes you wonder if it is how someone is raised ? Totally unrelated but I was raised with dessert after every meal being part of my evening meal . Every meal I can remember growing up was topped off with a dessert after. Being out of my parents house for many, many ( manyyyy) moons , I still to this day have to have some type of sweet in the evening or I kind of go bonkers. Haha

Makes you wonder if it is how someone is raised ? Totally unrelated but I was raised with dessert after every meal being part of my evening meal . Every meal I can remember growing up was topped off with a dessert after. Being out of my parents house for many, many ( manyyyy) moons , I still to this day have to have some type of sweet in the evening or I kind of go bonkers. Haha
I'm sure for some people it's how they were raised but most of the people I know pickier diets are just something that is part of them. It's not that their parents forced the restrictions on them in other words.

My mother-in-law def. has a hankering for dessert all the time but that hasn't really been passed down to her kids. In fact while we enjoy dessert we often decline after dinner because we're not wanting it (and I wasn't raised on dessert being such a prominent feature in meals).

I think for her it's overeating and letting her sweet tooth craving get in the way whereas for us we're like "um no we're full (as she usually asks right after dinner is done)" or "no we're not really feeling it". I mean we def. do go have dessert but it's more of an every now and then thing whereas for her and how you describe it's more of an every meal kind of thing. It's also not uncommon for her to go into a gas station in the event that she actually goes in (lots of times on long enough car journeys) and come out with some sort of sweet item.

My husband is not picky per se, but he voluntarily follows a very strict diet (I call it the twigs and berries diet).

I just cook for my kids and me and leave him to his own devices. He does all of his own grocery shopping and food prep.

As my kids get older and will (maybe? hopefully?) move out one day, I have wondered what I’m going to do for food, since it will just be me I’m cooking for....we have lived separate food lives for as long as I can remember!

My mother was good cook but set in her post WW2 nutritional mindset. To this day, she will ask "where's your starch?" when she sees me making dinner and "clean your plate" when I'm full. I've learned to tell her knock it off. I also grew up doing gymnastics and dance - two sports that spawn anorexics, bulimics and binge eaters. Therefore...I have little tolerance for food judges. Any "concerns" that make another person feel guilty or simply overthink their food choices is petty, rude and damaging. Three of my four kids are "good eaters"; my third child had both a sweet tooth and a disdain for most vegetables. My theory and experience is that she will try new things at her own pace and her own body will let her know when she's had too much of a sinful food. I don't think knowing a parent's friend is worried about her social standing and other people telling her health will suck in a few years would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with this. I have certain digestion issues and I know which foods are "safe". If you want to judge me for not being an adventurous eater , then you should have to stay in the bathroom with me later.

I’m 100% with you. It’s not like I randomly decided to not eat spicy food, for example. It’s because I’ve tried it and know the results. Maybe we should stop calling everyone a picky eater when tailored eater fits better.

My dh and the kids are all picky. They are picky with regards to different things. Dh won’t eat any fruit or vegetables except corn on the cob and potatoes. For him it’s a texture issue. He also doesn’t like condiments on burgers. It’s always meat, cheese and bun. Tomato sauce can’t be the chunky kind. It’s really frustrating to meal plan.

So why not get them involved in meal planning too?

With my friend the only reason I care is because she’s all “holier than thou” about some of it. She is doing intermittent fasting, and bulletproof coffee and her eating hours are 11A-7Pm.

Like many other people who justify their eating habits (paleo, vegan, low fat, hi-protein, whatever) by putting others down, that’s what this picky eater did to me.

No food before 11 AM except buttered coffee, an entire container of nuts at noon, three beers, at least one Dole Whip, another ice cream, turkey dinner, etc at GG- and preached to me about how I should not drink a beer after 7 PM because I had a piece of cheese to start my day at 10:30 AM and that is “not good for you to eat more than in an 8 hour window and beer is NOT fasting!”, She would also not have food that was “mixed together” so only meat or chicken, potatoes and vegetable, all separate like when she was a child (and no seasoning).

The next night, Monday night at DAH from 8-11 PM, this “diet advisor” consumed at least 9 Mickey bars, 1 popsicle thing, and 2 ice cream sandwiches. And some of my popcorn.

That’s why I mentioned how picky she was- not only picky but militant about certain things that are considered odd and preachy about me drinking a beer after her “eating window”.

Normally I don’t care what people eat at all and my family is a group of the most non-picky and adventurous people you’d meet- but this struck me as something to mention.

I think in her case, it’s about feeling in control and her comfort zone makes her feel in control. I think some people have other reasons, but for her it took me aback,

I’m assuming buttered coffee is a typo lol

For the first 5 years I was married to my husband he was extremely picky. He wasn’t exposed to much growing up. His mother’s idea of cooking was turning on the microwave. It took time but at least he was willing to try new things sometimes. Then he went on a work trip and they went to a Japanese restaurant. The host bought sushi for the table. I love sushi but he refused to touch it. Well here he was at this table and the peer pressure to eat the sushi won out. He called me that night saying he’d never say no to a food again. He loved the sushi. We’ve now been married 25 years and he’s extremely adventurous with food. He has a few dislikes but he’s always willing to try something new.

To sum this up, people can change if they want to.

OMG, I can’t believe he was peer pressured into trying something. I’m stubborn enough that I’d sit at the table all night rather than try something I’ve said no, thank you to.

Not everyone can change, just if they wanted to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter