Adult with “kid food” diet

DISNEYSQUIRRELS

DIS Veteran
I have a family member with a 33 year old son that lives on (what I consider) a kid’s food diet. He only eats Kraft Mac & Cheese, Minute Rice, chicken fingers, steak & Capri Sun juice pouches. He will have an adult beverage if he goes out to eat. No vegetables. None.
His mom is a great cook, so it’s not like he wasn’t exposed to different foods.
I was thinking how limiting this must be to be the wife/GF of someone like this, especially if you are someone that likes to cook. I guess it could be compared to someone that is a vegetarian, vegan or has other dietary restrictions. It just seems so limiting.

A friend of DH's had the caterers make him a grilled cheese at his own wedding.

To each their own and all, and in the end, I guess limited diets are between individuals and their doctors. But it was actually DS's catalyst for trying more new foods (after going through a really picky phase as a kid). - He said he didn't want to grow up to do that.

Is he actually dating or married?
Not married, lives alone.
He was dating & she seemed like a nice person to me. When we would all get together & be out to eat somewhere & the subject would come up or it was time to order, she would definitely be rolling her eyes. I can’t help to wonder if it contributed to their split.
He is a very social person, very active with sports/hobbies. But for dinner, he’ll have the chicken fingers & Kraft Mac & cheese please.

Not married, lives alone.
He was dating & she seemed like a nice person to me. When we would all get together & be out to eat somewhere & the subject would come up or it was time to order, she would definitely be rolling her eyes. I can’t help to wonder if it contributed to their split.
He is a very social person, very active with sports/hobbies. But for dinner, he’ll have the chicken fingers & Kraft Mac & cheese please.
I’ve told my kids to run the other way if someone they date is a picky eater or a smacker. Only half joking.

My dad was a chef I don’t think I could cater to such a limited palate. My DS was very picky as a little one but I refused to make separate meals. We had the “one bite rule” in our house. You don’t have to eat it all but you have to at least try it. I did resort to bribery when I got desperate for him to eat a veggie. It seems to have worked. He is by far my most adventurous eater and will try anything once.

But how do you know if you might like something if you don’t give it a try?
Your tastes can change as you get older.

I never said that it made sense! :confused3 My dad was also very stubborn. He liked what he liked and that was it. To this day I still struggle with trying new foods because I fear getting in trouble if I don't like it.

But how do you know if you might like something if you don’t give it a try?
Your tastes can change as you get older.
People who are not picky will never understand picky eaters. Its not all about not wanitng to try new things it might be the fact that when they do try new things it ends bad. Or you just get comfort from having something you like. I myself am kinda picky I used to not eat salad due to the texture. I dont eat anything else green. Only a few types of veggies carrots and corn pretty much.

I am a meat and potatoes girl and like what I like. My husband and son will literally eat anything so I will cook 2 meals most nights so they dont have to have what im having. When I first started dating my now husband he was weirded out by me always ordering the same item once i find what I like. But turns out when he tried new items he didnt like what he ordered better than before. Kinda a funny turn of events. Now he orders more of the same things he likes.

My daughters ex-husband ( in his 30's ) was the same way. Every time he was over to eat it was painful. Example : If we had roast he would eat mac and cheese and rolls only . No vegetable at all. If I made taco's, his would have to be just meat and cheese, nothing else. His diet literally consisted of fast food, he would not eat salad /veg . It's like he couldn't eat a home cooked meal. It was so odd. The marriage ended after 5 years ( not food related ) and during that time I never seen him eat anything with substance.

I have gone to foodie dinners with adults that had a hard time trying new stuff. He needs to try new things and figure out what he likes. He should have been doing this in his twenties. I definitely recommend trying alpaca if he ever goes to Peru.

Some people, even adults, are picky eaters. My dad was a picky eater and hated trying new foods. I was taught as a child to only order what I know I will like. Trying new foods is a waste of money and a waste of food.
What? That’s crazy. How will you know you don’t like something if you don’t try it?

edited: Sorry seems that was you dad’s thing not yours. Maybe try apps of things? That way you can taste but it won’t be a waste. @sailorstitch

Last edited:
To each their own I suppose. I don't think I could be with someone who is unwilling to try new foods. I'm not making multiple meals and I'm also not eating such a limited, terrible diet.

I would be worried that someone who is so unwilling to budge and try new foods will also be unwilling to try new things and experiences in life.

What? That’s crazy. How will you know you don’t like something if you don’t try it?

I agree.

Of course, this is why my mom never comes over. She's a picky eater, and I don't have any food in my house that she would eat. I also don't have any food that doesn't require prep and cooking.

I agree.

Of course, this is why my mom never comes over. She's a picky eater, and I don't have any food in my house that she would eat. I also don't have any food that doesn't require prep and cooking.
My best friends son has a very, very limited diet. At one point it was just potatoes. When they come over he brings food for him.

To each their own I suppose. I don't think I could be with someone who is unwilling to try new foods. I'm not making multiple meals and I'm also not eating such a limited, terrible diet.

I would be worried that someone who is so unwilling to budge and try new foods will also be unwilling to try new things and experiences in life.
My 19 year old son is a picky eater. On the occasion he tries something new, he usually doesn’t like it. He has a very sensitive taste pallet. He does eat more than the OPs relative, and can always find something on a restaurant menu to eat, but it’s always chicken.

However he is very adventurous and not afraid of new experiences. So that comparison doesn’t always hold water.

My SIL, who is about to turn 50, is a very picky eater- chicken tenders, pizza, Mac & cheese, etc. Her mom was an amazing cook and her younger brother has an adventurous palate. Neither she, nor her family have an explanation for her adult food limitations. It frustrates my brother as it has influenced their son to follow the same path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!