"Adulting"

How do you feel about the word "adulting"?

• I use it.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • I think it's cute.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I don't mind it.

Votes: 56 38.6%
  • It drive me nuts.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • I judge people who use it.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I used to hate it, but this thread miraculously changed my mind.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
I don't get the hate surrounding this word.

Yeah, I understand that technically it's "using a noun as a verb" - but we do exactly that here on the DIS every time we advise someone to "fastpass" this ride or "rope drop" that one, and nobody blinks an eye.

We're also quite comfortable going the opposite way - using a verb as a noun:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/gerund

So, what's your take on "adulting"?

I don't get the hate surrounding this word.

Yeah, I understand that technically it's "using a noun as a verb" - but we do exactly that here on the DIS every time we advise someone to "fastpass" this ride or "rope drop" that one, and nobody blinks an eye.

We're also quite comfortable going the opposite way - using a verb as a noun:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/gerund

So, what's your take on "adulting"?
I've used it in text and voice just to be silly and fun. If it bothers anyone who reads or hears what I say then I guess they'll have to decide whether I'm worthy of their company moving forward. I don't get the problem with it either.

Am I the only one who really doesn't want to do all the things adults have to do every day?

It's been a little while since I've heard or used the term, but there are days I really don't want to do all those things and wish someone else would so I didn't have to.

I think it describes those days perfectly .

And I've used it with my young adult kids who are learning to do all of those things themselves.

It ain't always fun. And sometimes stinks

I see it a lot on Facebook. One girl I went to high school with posts almost daily, “I can’t adult today, ugh.” Or “I’m SO done with adulting already.” I find it to be very irritating and immature. She also posts “TGIF, “witches” (with a B) every single Friday. If she forgets to post it in the morning on a Friday, she apologizes for being late. Kind of baffling.

In general, I'm not a fan of cutesy expressions. (Though technically I think cutesy is one of those!) I laughed at the post above. The only people I know who use the term "adulting" regularly are people who are truly having trouble with the transition to adulthood.

I would not judge someone for using it on rare occasion, because we all have days where we wish we didn't have to do tough things and using a made up term for it kind of fits the not being an adult theme. However, it definitely makes me wonder when people constantly wish they didn't have to be an adult.

Ohhhh, I will post on this one.
I have hated this word since I first heard it.
And, it isn't the semantics (grammer). I don't care about that at all.
I don't generally like to judge based on something as ultimately meaningless as semantics.

It is what this word usually means when it is used. The fact that it even is in common usage at all.
Adulting??? Really????? Are you serious? :confused:

Actual adults don't use the term "adulting" :rolleyes1

Exactly! If you need to use the term "adulting," then you are not an adult.

In previous times, people didn't get a choice to be an adult or not. If one didn't get up and plow the fields & crops, then there would be no food come winter. Now, we have a generation of children who've moved back into their parent's home, because they can't make it as an "adult." (Not to be confused with parents who've had to move in with their children due to health problems or old age.) Remember the bozo who tried to sue his parents when they took him to court to evict him from their house? :rolleyes:

I love this video I saw recently by a woman who did a TED Talk where she said, "No one tells you that when you leave home at 18 that it's now going to be your job to parent yourself." In other words, be an ADULT and make yourself do the things you don't want to do. Things your parents had to make you do, or they wouldn't get done because (general) you didn't feel like doing them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!