"Adulting"

How do you feel about the word "adulting"?

• I use it.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • I think it's cute.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I don't mind it.

Votes: 56 38.6%
  • It drive me nuts.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • I judge people who use it.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I used to hate it, but this thread miraculously changed my mind.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Haha I find people’s reactions to the word funny. While I chose ‘I use the word’ the truth is that I rarely actually use the word. I do love the concept though. As a single person responsible for a home and everything else that comes with being an adult I do get tired of it all sometimes. There are household tasks I’ve put off for a long time just because I don’t want to ‘adult’ and arrange a qualified person to come and fix them and all the fuss that comes with sometimes not having things done correctly etc. I spend my working hours dealing with papers, bureaucracy, solving problems and all the other annoyances of being an adult If I get tired of doing this in my personal life too then I’ll happily use the word ‘adulting’.

I see it a lot on Facebook. One girl I went to high school with posts almost daily, “I can’t adult today, ugh.” Or “I’m SO done with adulting already.” I find it to be very irritating and immature. She also posts “TGIF, “witches” (with a B) every single Friday. If she forgets to post it in the morning on a Friday, she apologizes for being late. Kind of baffling.
She must not realize or care how that term comes across to some and yes, I agree. Very irritating and immature.

"Great, while you're 'adulting' over there, I'll be over here 'not speaking like someone who got held back in third grade multiple times'!"
Third grade was very difficult for me. They wanted me to start adulting way back then and I just wasn't ready. Mrs. Jones adulted much harder than me and held me back so I'd be able to adult much better when the time came. It all worked out in the end. I'm out adulting all over the place now.

Last edited:
Haha I find people’s reactions to the word funny. While I chose ‘I use the word’ the truth is that I rarely actually use the word. I do love the concept though. As a single person responsible for a home and everything else that comes with being an adult I do get tired of it all sometimes. There are household tasks I’ve put off for a long time just because I don’t want to ‘adult’ and arrange a qualified person to come and fix them and all the fuss that comes with sometimes not having things done correctly etc. I spend my working hours dealing with papers, bureaucracy, solving problems and all the other annoyances of being an adult If I get tired of doing this in my personal life too then I’ll happily use the word ‘adulting’.
To me, adulting means having responsibility or being responsible. It’s something we all have as adults, at home and at work, wherever. So when an adult complains that adulting is hard, it just comes across as whining that they have responsibilities that we all have.

To me, adulting means having responsibility or being responsible. It’s something we all have as adults, at home and at work, wherever. So when an adult complains that adulting is hard, it just comes across as whining that they have responsibilities that we all have.
And, they certainly have no right to complain! Who the heck do they think they are?

I have two opinions about this word.

First, about verbing nouns: If Shakespeare can do it, so can "the kids these days"

"Within my mouth you have enjailed my tongue,
Doubly portcullised with my teeth and lips"

"Grace me no grace, nor uncle me no uncle"

"Still virginalling upon his palm?"

"Why, what read you there
That have so cowarded and chased your blood
Out of appearance?"

As for the concept of not wanting to have to do adult things, I think Bryce Vine said it best:

I don't wanna worry bout nothin for a while
I just wanna play around livin' like a child
With old tunes jammin on my Walkman
And some Sour Patch Kids and a Coke can

Last edited:
LOL. Around the folks at work, it is a common word for things most folks know they HAVE to do, but many here are surprised. Like license your dog.

In general, I'm not a fan of cutesy expressions. (Though technically I think cutesy is one of those!) I laughed at the post above. The only people I know who use the term "adulting" regularly are people who are truly having trouble with the transition to adulthood.

I would not judge someone for using it on rare occasion, because we all have days where we wish we didn't have to do tough things and using a made up term for it kind of fits the not being an adult theme. However, it definitely makes me wonder when people constantly wish they didn't have to be an adult.

The people I know who use it are FULL ON adults, 10+ years into professional jobs, with kids of their own.

If they haven't figured out how to adult yet, there's no hope for them, or their poor kids, for that matter.

The people I know who use it are FULL ON adults, 10+ years into professional jobs, with kids of their own.

If they haven't figured out how to adult yet, there's no hope for them, or their poor kids, for that matter.

I don't think using the term has to do with not knowing how to be an adult, but rather not wanting to do the responsible thing you know needs to get done.

Going to the PTA meeting? Ugh, no thank you.
Standing on line at the DMV? I'd rather get concussed.
Getting a colonoscopy? How about I just take a nap?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!