Advice about Summer 2021 Dates

Version 6

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys

My family of 4 are planning a trip to DLR in Summer 2021.

I understand it's very early days, but we have an expiring airline credit and are just trying to get some ideas about where/when to travel, and California at that time of the year is one of the options.

We have been to the resort several times, but never in the middle of summer.

Mostly, our queries are about crowds and doing the best we can to avoid large crowds and long queues. I know a lot of this is extremely hard to predict in light of the impact of COVID-19 (who knows if internation travel to the States will even be possible by then) - so we understand that any advice will need to be disclaimered by that uncertainty.

That being said, we are looking at being in California between 18 June and 8 July 2021. We'd like to stay at the resort for 5 nights or so at some stage during that time.

So our questions are:
1. Which period during that period of time gives us the best chance of low crowds?
2. What are crowds like generally during that time of the year?
3. How is the time around 4 July?
4. Are we best to stick to weekdays or weekends?
5. Any other tips for travelling to the parks in Summer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you are staying onsite and you are morning people, the MM/EE daily will help you do a lot of rides before crowds come into the parks. Couple that with Maxpass, and you will have an enjoyable time. In the afternoon, you go back to your room/pool and relax, then head back to the parks in the early evening, perhaps have dinner ressies (at Carnation Cafe, for example) and watch the hustle and bustle on Main Street while dining. Very nice and relaxing.

My son and I are morning people and make use of MM/EE on all days of our trips. The girls like to sleep in and generally join us later.

Hi there
It's helpful to factor in annual pass info here. On our last 4 July visit (two years ago) it was better on 4 July than on some other days due to blockouts. Otherwise, do take advantage of early starts and max pass as it is a busy time. Trade off - there's always lots to do and see in high season

I would avoid July 4th week. Its very busy. If your trying to avoid crowds that wouldn't be a wise time to go. Starting early is also wise. Local Passholders come in the afternoon when they get off of work which is why early mornings are best.

Hi there
It's helpful to factor in annual pass info here. On our last 4 July visit (two years ago) it was better on 4 July than on some other days due to blockouts. Otherwise, do take advantage of early starts and max pass as it is a busy time. Trade off - there's always lots to do and see in high season
I would avoid July 4th week. Its very busy. If your trying to avoid crowds that wouldn't be a wise time to go. Starting early is also wise. Local Passholders come in the afternoon when they get off of work which is why early mornings are best.

Thanks guys.

In 2021, July 4 is on a Sunday and the public holiday is on the Monday the 5th.

Would I be best off being there for Monday 29th June to Friday 2 July, or would the week following 4th of July be better (so, Tuesday the 6th of July to Saturday 10 July).

For July 4, there is a special fireworks show in Disneyland and a special World of Color pre-show at California Adventure. This replaces the ordinary fireworks at Disneyland and is in addition to the normal World of Color at California Adventure. If seeing this matters to you, you'll need to go around the July 4th holiday. Given that you will be visiting for multiple days, it's possible to see both the ordinary fireworks and July 4 fireworks if you wait until the entertainment schedule is released before booking your trip. Crowds on July 4 are hit and miss because many annual passes tend to be blocked out so sometimes, the morning is rather empty. But the fireworks will definitely be packed.

If you don't care about the July 4th entertainment, it's safest to just avoid that time and go in June. Typically, crowds are lighter from Tuesday to Thursday.

Alternatively - would the early part of our trip (around 18 June) be better for crowds?
I think early June would be better than July as schools are just getting out for summer. July is the month that most families travel and do their vacationing. I usually go mid-July but I don't mind the crowds as much. I avoid Xmas and new years weeks, July 4th and spring break as I feel its over crowded. I'm an annualpass holder that lives in Northern CA so, I can't just go anytime like the locals. There are a lot of locals that frequent the parks.

Thanks so much for that. Mid to late June is an option for us. Would the week starting 20 June be OK? Also, how are weekends around that time?

We thought the same thing about early June and were wrong. The first three days of our trip were so crowded it was miserable. Then, the southern California annual passes were blacked off and the rest of the week was divine. Check the blackout dates and make sure you go when the cheapest level of APs are blacked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts