advice needed for linking Disney and Universal

twinx4

DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE...WHEN YOU WISH UPON A
I'm considering going to WDW in April but I would also like to visit Universal. I've been to WDW many times, and I just love it. I'm used to staying on Disney's property. But since I'm trying to combine the two. Would I come out better staying at Disney or at Universal.

Also I'm considering renting a car in order to travel between the two parks. However, I have read that if I stay at an off-site hotel, some offer transportation to both parks. Making the drop off point at transportation station (hopefully the same one, that Disney uses).

I'll be traveling with my daughter and I really love the fact that I could travel anywhere on disneys ground by using the shuttles. And I felt safe staying on-site.

Has anyone ever visit both parks while staying on site?

Thank you for your help

Well, if it is just you and your daughter, then I would suggest staying on site.

You didn't say where you usually stay.

Universal resorts are all like disney deluxe for 1/2 the price. And, while staying at a universal resort, you get front of the line access in the parks..well worth it.

I would stay on site at disney while at disney and at universal while at universal..but, that is just me..I like convenience.

And driving between the two...definately a pain with all the traffic.

We're doing the same thing in April. 4 nights at the Dolphin and Disney, then 3 nights at Portofino Bay and Universal. We always do Disney first because the FOTL access at Universal really spoils you. By all means, split your trip and stay on-site at both places. Universal has great transportation to the parks, too. Even if you stay one night at Universal, you'll have 2 days of FOTL. Any questions, I'd be glad to help.

We are staying 5 nights at the Swan then moving to HRH for 3 nights. We hired FL Tours to drive us from place to place, as we will not have a car. We put Universal (where we have never been!) at the end because we think FOTL will spoil us and make things so relaxing for the end of the trip.

We've mostly stayed onsite at WDW but have stayed offsite a couple of times. IMHO, you will be disappointed with the transportation at the offsite hotels. They don't run with the frequency or regularity of the Disney buses.

As I see it, you best options are the following:
  • Stay offsite in a nice location that is central to both USF/IOA and WDW. Rent a car for your entire stay.
  • Stay onsite at WDW and do all your WDW parks. Rent a car at the Carcare Center or the Dolphin to drive to your offsite hotel. Use the car to travel to/from USF/IOA. Return the car at the airport.
  • Stay onsite at WDW or USF/IOA. Get a towncar service or taxi to transport you to your other onsite resort when you're done with the first. Take advantage of FOTL at Universal and the transportation at both. Use the same towncar service or taxi to get to the airport for your trip home.
  • Spend your entire stay onsite at either Universal or WDW. Rent a car or take a taxi to the competitor's parks when you visit them.

As far as safety is concerned, I've never felt "unsafe" at WDW. I have stayed offsite and I admit that my radar was working overtime. Nothing serious ever happened, however my son's Gameboy was stolen from the offsite hotel room. That could just as easily have happened at WDW but it didn't help to change my already uneasy feelings about the location. This year will be our first at Universal, so I can't comment on it. If safety is a factor (either real or perceived), go with the onsite resorts. If I were traveling alone with my DD, that's what I would do.

We will be splitting our vacation time this year between two hotels. Our main love is Disney - we have really fallen in love with everything Disney and DH and I enjoy just being on Disney property and soaking up the atmosphere.

However the kids love the rides at the two Universal parks so this year in October we are staying the first 3 nights at RPR and then move on to BCV for the 12 nights remaining. Its really the FOTL access which sold the Universal stay to us.

how long is your trip??

we usually do *about* a week at disney and *about* a week at HRH. we dont rent a car, we use tiffanys towncar service with no complaints.

Is was in Orlando last week with my 4yo son. We stayed at Pop Century and went to Universal for 2 day trips. My sister drove down so we had her car to get back and forth to Universal. This was during the slow season and traffic was not an issue. Also, not having the FOTL was not a problem since there were no lines at Universal early in the day and very few lines in the afternoon.

If you are going at a busier time, though, I would stay onsite at Universal. The resorts are nice and FOTL is invaluable. It's so easy to walk or take the water taxi to the parks and return to your room for a break during the day if you want.

I had considered staying onsite when I went last week, but I couldn't get a real good rate and couldn't justify paying almost 3 times more at Royal Pacific than my Pop Century $49 rate for only 2 of us (that was before I knew my sister would be joining us).

When in April will you be going?

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter