Advice on a nice breakfast to celebrate birthday.

Santmor

Earning My Ears
Hello DISboarders,

I was planning for a breakfast buffet at 1900 Park Fare to celebrate my moms birthday in December. We like buffets, however this year my 10 years old will start paying as adult and she doesn't eat almost anything (literally, she would eat a grilled cheese and maybe a pankake or waffle and that's it, also she only drinks water or tea).

So, to pay around $40 for her is a waste. I'm looking at alternatives, and the Wave at Contemporary would be one, but doesn't seem to have the same appeal/charm as 1900 Park fare.

The plan is to have breakfast and after noon go to Animal Kingdom.

If you have any piece of advice, please let me know as the ADR day is aproaching.

Thank you and best reagards,

Andrea

Last edited:
If it helps you swallow the price, look at the cost as being for the experience more than for the food. That said, I wish Disney had "junior" pricing for those 10-14 (or whatever number they chose).

We never really have TS breakfasts except on our non-park days, and when we do they are buffets like Boma or character meals like Bon Voyage at Trattoria al Forno and 1900 Park Fare.

Bon Voyage is a pretty nice breakfast and character experience. It's a la carte, not buffet, but if your daughter doesn't each much you might balk at paying for a character breakfast anyway.

We've done Olivia's at Old Key West when we stay there, but I'm not sure that it's worth making a special trip for.

To be honest, if you are looking to do something special for your mom's birthday, it should be more about that and not thinking that you won't get the most out of the $40 it will cost for your daughter. I say go where your mom would like best.

To be honest, if you are looking to do something special for your mom's birthday, it should be more about that and not thinking that you won't get the most out of the $40 it will cost for your daughter. I say go where your mom would like best.

The only reason we are looking at costs is that we will be travelling for 30 days and, agree on the experience part, I am already adding a lot of that in our trip. Just need to save on what is possible.

The Wave has an amazing breakfast....the buffet is simple yet delicious. And you cant beat the $23 price tag which includes mimosa and some made-to-order items.

How about Boma? Food is good, plus AKL is gorgeous. You can go out and look at the animals afterwards. Price isnt as bad as other buffets...$28 pp apparently.

Something to think about.

To be honest, if you are looking to do something special for your mom's birthday, it should be more about that and not thinking that you won't get the most out of the $40 it will cost for your daughter.
Easier said than done. When your on a budget, wasting money does hurt when you know your kid will literally only eat a couple of things. I too would look elsewhere.

The only reason we are looking at costs is that we will be travelling for 30 days and, agree on the experience part, I am already adding a lot of that in our trip. Just need to save on what is possible.
Totally agree with you! Perhaps you can make the bday special in other ways? For example, if you do eat at the wave, maybe afterwards you can have something special at the parks? Sorry, im not very creative so nothing comes to mind. But hopefully others can chime in with some great ideas. :)

We are doing two TS breakfasts during our trip next month...Kona and 1900 Park Fare.

I have a 12yo that has a very limited diet and I totally get not wanting to pay $$ for a buffet where your child will eat very little.

That said, 1900 Park Fare is our only buffet of the entire trip (which is hard for me, the adult, because I love them and really prefer them to waiting in line for characters) because my dd is turning 17yo during our trip and she requested 1900 Park Fare for the morning of her birthday.

It is a little easier for me to rationalize the breakfast buffet though, because ds will eat his weight in Mickey waffles & pancakes...and it is less expensive than a lunch or dinner buffet.

I would definitely check out Kona as a non buffet alternative. There aren't any characters, but there's Tonga Toast and your dd can order off the kids menu.

Last edited:

At Be Our Guest, it is counter service breakfast so I think your daughter can still order from the kids menu.

We are doing Kona Cafe (at the Polynesian) for breakfast, actually on my husband’s bday. It’s a la carte and does have a children’s menu that your daughter may be able to order from (check out the menu on MDE or the app). We will have used all of our DDP credits by then and couldn’t justify the cost of another buffet. For all of us to go to a buffet it would have been over $150 but when I added up what we would order at Kona it’s closer to $50. I’ve heard the food is great too!

Hello DISboarders,

I was planning for a breakfast buffet at 1900 Park Fare to celebrate my moms birthday in December. We like buffets, however this year my 10 years old will start paying as adult and she doesn't eat almost anything (literally, she would eat a grilled cheese and maybe a pankake or waffle and that's it, also she only drinks water or tea).

So, to pay around $40 for her is a waste. I'm looking at alternatives, and the Wave at Contemporary would be one, but doesn't seem to have the same appeal/charm as 1900 Park fare.

If you have any piece of advice, please let me know as the ADR day is aproaching.

Thank you and best reagards,

Andrea

Take a look at Grand Floridian Cafe. Same resort as 1900, so same decor, but an a la carte meal and no characters. I actually happen to like the decor in GF Cafe more than 1900 as it has windows (1900 does not), so it's light and airy. I think it would be a lovely alternative to 1900.

OP, before I read your initial post, I also was going to suggest The Wave, as it has both buffet and a la carte options, and excellent food. I like that their atmosphere tends to be more laid back.

Or, since you're heading to Animal Kingdom anyway, you might consider breakfast at Tusker House, but then you'd all have to do buffet, so that may not help you.

Did you already discuss various options with your mom and get a sense of what type of place she would prefer?

I can't tell for sure from the original post if the issue is that the 1900PF is not in budget or if it's a value issue (i.e. 10 year old light eater). If it's the later, then I tend to view the character meals as an overall experience and as along as the person going eats enough to be satisfied, then the quantity of food shouldn't be the determining factor. But if a light eater at a buffet is something you can't get past, as far as value is concerned, then I would suggest maybe considering another experience that would be great for a birthday, like a dessert party perhaps. Although that will cost more than a buffet breakfast, you may find more value there.

If it's an overall budget thing, then definitely going with an a la carte breakfast option is good choice. I've seen some great suggestions on this already, Kona, GF Cafe, The Wave. I wouldn't consider any of them to be "special" per se, but all offer a great breakfast option.

BOG is beautiful and I think special for a birthday. Adult breakfasts are 25 dollars and come with pastries. Maybe order a kids meal since it is CS or even split a meal with your daughter.

As another pp poster mentioned Grand Floridian Cafe is WONDERFUL! The lobster eggs benedict is terrific and the atmosphere is so relaxing. Its really a lovely experience. I love the wave too but it is dark, so for atmosphere GFC is a better pick but both have great food.

What day of the week is her Birthday.. some restaurants have a big sunday brunch!!
Homecomin being the newest to the list!

Hello DISboarders,

I was planning for a breakfast buffet...

Andrea

If your plans are to go to AK in the afternoon, think about Tusker House for a breakfast buffet. If timed right, you can be there for the end of breakfast buffet and start of lunch buffet for a large variety of offerings. Or to save $ and park time, you could do an 11;30 am lunch at Yak and Yeti and share appetizers and entrees which are very generous and can easily feed more than one person.

Really enjoyed breakfast at Boma. It has the standard fare, but also more adventurous foods for those who want that. We were quite happy both times we have done that.

The Wave. Buffet for the people who want to eat more, and off the menu for the 10 year old. Service is very nice, it’s oretty subdued, and very good.

That said, I wish Disney had "junior" pricing for those 10-14 (or whatever number they chose).

And then kids like my son (or me at that age) would obliterate that price range for the lighter eaters.

And you cant beat the $23 price tag which includes mimosa and some made-to-order items.

No mimosas anymore. Actually I never got in on the mimosas. As far as I can tell they weren’t offering them feb 2016, then they were feb 2017 but I didn’t realize they would be included so wr said no, and feb 2018 they weren’t part of it anymore. (Yes I go there for princess weekend, with my cousin who has her birthday at that time...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter