Advice on Rival Run Challenge

c4caitlin

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone -

I just completed my first half marathon this past weekend for Marathon weekend. I’m definitely doing the half in April for Star Wars but was looking for some advice on putting a 10k in front of it to complete the Rival Run challenge. I am definitely aware of the heat in April as I live in Orlando. The half would be finished as a fun run with stopping at a lot of characters and taking walk breaks throughout.

any pros/cons/thoughts/advice on back to back races would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The first piece of advice is to add back-to-back runs in your training plan. That way you can assess how close to 100% you'll be on Day2 after running Day1.

The second piece of advise is a little more complicated. I tend to be long-winded so I'll try to be as succinct as possible...

DO IT!!!!! :-)

It will be awesome!!! And you get a third medal!!!!

I agree - get in two days of training in a row. If weekends are your long run days, do your longest Sunday and half the distance Saturday (for example, if you have 12 on Sun do 6 on Sat). Take Saturday easy (1:30 min/mile over your goal half pace, at least) and stretch like crazy. Race day, don't do parks after the 10k, it'll murder whatever's left of your muscles. Take a resort day and nap, go to the pool, etc.

I'll try to keep this brief. When I first started running in 2011, I was terrified to do a 5K before a half. I feared it would take too much out of my legs for the half and ruin my hopes of just finishing the half.

In 2012, I did my normal park touring before the Wine & Dine Half that year and had a great time during the race with no troubles. Fast forward a couple of years to when runDisney introduced the Star Wars Rebel Challenge at Disneyland. Well, I figured if I could do my normal WDW park touring, then I could certainly handle a 10K before a half if I trained for it. So I followed the Galloway challenge plan faithfully and incorporated those back to back runs.

Suffice it to say, 2020 marks the 6th consecutive year in which I have run at least one multi race runDisney challenge weekend. 2015-2017 Rebel Challenge, 2017 Dark Side Challenge, 2018 Dark Side 5K and First Order Challenge, 2019 Dopey, 2020 Dopey, and 2020 Star Wars 5K and Rival Run Challenge.

So take it from a slower runner, you can most definitely do it if you want to. For what it's worth, I have done all of those runDisney challenges after spending most of my recovery time from the shorter distances having fun in the theme parks on both coasts. The past two years I spent my recovery time after the half on Dopey weekend in the parks before finishing the marathon the next day.

I accidentally did this at Marathon weekend this year. I paid to trade my 10k for a half bib (I had never run a half before). But somewhere something got messed up and when I went to see my waivers I still had the 10k in addition to the half. I stupidly did both without training for it. It was rough - especially since I was running the half with my well trained Air Force friend:crazy2:. I may not have been hurting so bad if it wasn't for the temps and humidity. But I was regretting my decision by mile 2 of the half.
If you follow the Galloway training, you should be good to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!