Advice on suntan lotion

Kal El

Mouseketeer
As the count down gets ever closer to the big day :D :bounce: I was wondering which brand of suntan lotion people take?

Does anyone know of a good one that will last a long time once you put it on as I would rather not have to carry a bottle about with me when I go to the parks?

Thanks in advance for any help:Pinkbounc

Originally posted by mac190
hi
i dont know what time of year your going, or if you are taking small children, but i would always take some lotion with you into the parks as you could be there from morning to dusk. you could always hire a locker to store your things (as well as a change of clothing for children who have a tendency to run into the water fountains in the parks). if i remember right, the lockers are about $6 a day and well worth it.
yvonne

Well I thought the countdown timer might have given away when I am going:D :D :D

No children going just 2 big kids (me and my brother both in 20's).

Its just I am sure I heard somewhere about some suntan lotion you apply once in the morning and its ment to protect you all day. Now I cant remember what its called and I dont know if its any good and was wondering if anyone had used anything like this or everyone just used the normal bogstandard Boots/Nivea/Ambre Solar type stuf.

We usually use P20 which is one of those that you apply in the morning and it lasts all day. It is a bit messy as it is a liquid rather that a cream but it is well worth it, especially on those bits always in the sun like face, neck, arms etc.etc.

You can buy it at the airport usually and I think one or two high street shops also stock it now.

I like to use Bananaboat factor 30 sunblock. My son has sensitive skin so I like to stick with a make I've used before.

Be careful that you don't use an oil based product as you'll be more likely to get a heat rash as your skin can't lose sweat so easily through the oil. Some of the sunblocks/creams are marked PABA free - I'm not too sure what PABA stands for - and these seem to be oil free.

Our family always apply the block first thing in the morning before we dress as it's recommended that you apply half an hour before going out into the sun (and you're less likely to miss anywhere!). By the time we're dressed and breakfasted we're ready for the sun.

You probably will need to top up during the day, I just put one tube for the whole family in my bumbag and reapply after lunch, it isn't too inconvenient compared to sunburn.

P20 can be purchased from QVC The Shopping Channel using their website:

www.qvcuk.com

Go to the Beauty dept, then choose Sun care products.

I haven't used it but I would like to know if other people rate it. It's a little bit pricey but if you only use it once and it lasts all day, including after swimming, then it must be worth it! In the past we have used good old Boots Soltan which is OK.

I've never used those long-lasting ones either, but I'd also like to second the recommendation for Banana Boat suncream...I always burn but didn't with this. It's not oily and seems to absorb more quickly than many, and it doesn't have a nasty chemically smell.....

I was always under the impression that topping up suncream didn't make any difference (other than if you've been swimming). Suncream will protect you for x number of hours, and an additional application won't buy you more time - so if you would normally burn in 1/2 hour, but with suncream you are ok for 5 hours, then more cream won't protect you for 10 hours.

we like something that is coloured when it goes on (so we can see where we've missed), but disappears quickly - don't like walking around with purple legs! And we found a spray bottle to be really good, especially for getting it onto Katie.

Bev

You're right - topping up doesn't give you extra time in the sun but the creams do tend to wear off with sweating !!! so a top up can help.

I always use factor 50 SUNBLOCK! Be safe...sunburn is dangerous. Don't risk your health for the sake of a tan.

Originally posted by ***SandieUK***
Here's another useful site for purchasing suncare, including Riemann P20:

www.pharmacy2u.co.uk

:cool:

:bounce: :bounce: Just orderd from here. They have a special offer on Riemann P20, buy 3 for the price of 2. Just hope its as good as it claims to be. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info SandieUK :D :bounce: :bounce:

I've used P20 many times, and originally tested it on the bald head in Tenerife. I have sworn by for about 10 years but in the last couple of years have noticed that I have started to burn, even with this. Last year I had to cancel my holiday to Florida to have an operation on skin cancer, although it was in a place that isn't normally exposed to the sun and now I take no chances and wear as much as is humanely possible without dehydrating. (Horse and stable door come to mind.)

Someone posted a thread about using sun lotion which is specifically made for the area you are visiting, when in Rome as they say, and I think that's a valid observation.

I think its a case of skin tone and using what works for you.

Reg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter