Advice please! CC or AKL

If you are already considering buying 100 points, I'd go a little higher (120 ish) and purchase an early Dec guaranteed week in a studio. The GW doesn't lock you into that week, you always have the option of opting out and using your points normally. But it will prevent major frustration in the years you want to visit during the peak demand period.

Thank you for this advice. I had heard about the GW but never really looked into that much. It almost sounds like there is no real downside to a GW, other than the 10% premium you pay for that week. But if the points get redistributed and studios get more expensive I still would only pay my GW cost right?
The GW, if available, sounds really attractive.

Thank you for this advice. I had heard about the GW but never really looked into that much. It almost sounds like there is no real downside to a GW, other than the 10% premium you pay for that week. But if the points get redistributed and studios get more expensive I still would only pay my GW cost right?
If you use the GW right you won’t have to come up with different points. DVD makes the guarantee that your points are enough to book it and that you’ll get the room. However, if you don’t exercise the week you get all the points you bought (which includes the 10% premium) with the incentives basically so low right now a guaranteed week makes sense easily.

Correct, but there are only a limited number of guaranteed week contracts available for each week. If you're looking for a GW studio in December, they are probably already sold.

Correct, but there are only a limited number of guaranteed week contracts available for each week. If you're looking for a GW studio in December, they are probably already sold.
Last I checked there were quite a bit available, very little actually buy. They also can only sell them as they declare the units. So because they just declared 2 more dedicated studios there is a possibility one is available.

Last I checked there were quite a bit available, very little actually buy. They also can only sell them as they declare the units. So because they just declared 2 more dedicated studios there is a possibility one is available.
You are right. My guide just got back to me saying that he had availability for week 49. I am torn though because if I buy just points I get 2018 points then 2019 points in Oct. If I do the GW I won't have points until Oct this year, so I would have to borrow points for my trip.... AHH with a trip planned this summer I was wanting to use our soon to be DVC points but I think the GW is a better deal. I am so torn....

You are right. My guide just got back to me saying that he had availability for week 49. I am torn though because if I buy just points I get 2018 points then 2019 points in Oct. If I do the GW I won't have points until Oct this year, so I would have to borrow points for my trip.... AHH with a trip planned this summer I was wanting to use our soon to be DVC points but I think the GW is a better deal. I am so torn....
They won't give you the 2018 points? I would have assumed you got those points and if you borrow with a GW you lose the GW advantage until you take a year off. You could push them a bit further on this point I'm not sure the exact rules on this point but the Guides don't really know how this works so you might have to get their leadership involved, which didn't even know all the ins and outs to be honest.

They won't give you the 2018 points? I would have assumed you got those points and if you borrow with a GW you lose the GW advantage until you take a year off. You could push them a bit further on this point I'm not sure the exact rules on this point but the Guides don't really know how this works so you might have to get their leadership involved, which didn't even know all the ins and outs to be honest.

Ya, he said that since week 49 has passed for 2018 that I wouldn't have any points unless I wanted to borrow from the 2019 GW. If I could get the 2018 points I would buy the GW right now. I will enquire more and see what he says.

Ya, he said that since week 49 has passed for 2018 that I wouldn't have any points unless I wanted to borrow from the 2019 GW. If I could get the 2018 points I would buy the GW right now. I will enquire more and see what he says.
Yeah this doesn't sound right because the GWs should still have the right to use points in the same fashion as a contract sold without GW. They simply have language to state the GW but they still function under the same Vacation Ownership Plan as all contracts. Would you be paying dues from purchase date all the way through the end of 2019? If so that makes it even more questionable to me since you contract wouldn't in practice start until October.

I would definitely ask to speak with leadership. When I asked about GW my guide knew very little even his boss did. I had to go up to the 3rd rung to get the answers.

I think Copper Creek is nice, but would not buy there, particularly if booking studios, due to severe availibility problems caused by all the cabin points. It is very bad. Everything was booked for Xmas at 11 months (and all the months before) with even 1 beds being walked at Xmas. Of course you can usually book a cabin at short notice.
Personally I'm not a great fan of Animal Kingdom due to isolated feel but mainly because there is nowhere to walk at all except around the resort/ to the parking lot) between Jambo and Kidani. Many love it though. Point is try and stay first if in any doubt- I'd visited AKL and thought I'd love it before I stayed there.

I think Copper Creek is nice, but would not buy there, particularly if booking studios, due to severe availibility problems caused by all the cabin points. It is very bad. Everything was booked for Xmas at 11 months (and all the months before) with even 1 beds being walked at Xmas. Of course you can usually book a cabin at short notice.
Personally I'm not a great fan of Animal Kingdom due to isolated feel but mainly because there is nowhere to walk at all except around the resort/ to the parking lot) between Jambo and Kidani. Many love it though. Point is try and stay first if in any doubt- I'd visited AKL and thought I'd love it before I stayed there.
The OP is now looking at GW to mitigate these concerns. As for Xmas, I didn't observe the 1 beds being walked, and I had availability for 2-3 days after the 11 month window opening for the entire week, might have been longer but that was when I looked. Though I would agree it is tighter than the other DVC resorts for 1 beds, specifically during the Christmas season. Though anyone buying CCV should be aware that WL is one of the most popular resorts around Christmas, which might lend itself to the tighter supply particularly around Christmas in the 1 bed.

I thought you would get the 2018 points too. As @crvetter said, you are paying dues for part of the 2018 UY. Definitely clarify that!

If a guide is keen to make a sale they'll work with you. The guide I had was able to obtain permission to sell me points at $182, on the basis that she "offered me a verbal quote before the price increase". PM me if you'd like her email :)

I don't think it's legal to sell a timeshare without current UY points. Definetely escalate the issue if you are interested in a GW

I just bought 161 points at CCV with a guaranted week in December. Disney could not give me the week in 2019 because it is within the 11 month window. I did get 161 points for 2018 Dec use year to be used until until Dec 2019.

I just bought 161 points at CCV with a guaranted week in December. Disney could not give me the week in 2019 because it is within the 11 month window. I did get 161 points for 2018 Dec use year to be used until until Dec 2019.
Yeah this is what I thought would happen. You would be given the points to be used but you couldn't get the guaranteed week since they need to be reserved at 12 months out I believe, per the POS. With this in mind the OP should definitely keep pushing back on his sales guide.

I don't think it's legal to sell a timeshare without current UY points. Definetely escalate the issue if you are interested in a GW

That's good to here. Let me make sure I am totally understating this.

For example my UY would be October with a GW of week 49.
If I were to buy today I should get the points that would have been used last December. Then I would get my 2019 points in October? Giving me 118 current UY points plus the 118 I could borrow from next UY?

If that is the case, then this is counter to what the Guide said and I will definitely follow up with him on it. I just want to make sure I am straight with my thinking.
He said that only if I were to buy straight points would I have access to the "2018" points. This would give me 100 current UY points with 100 available to borrow from next UY.

I might just be getting a little confused between UY and the GW week.

If I were to buy today I should get the points that would have been used last December. Then I would get my 2019 points in October? Giving me 118 current UY points plus the 118 I could borrow from next UY?

If that is the case, then this is counter to what the Guide said and I will definitely follow up with him on it. I just want to make sure I am straight with my thinking.
He said that only if I were to buy straight points would I have access to the "2018" points. This would give me 100 current UY points with 100 available to borrow from next UY.

The UY is your annual anniversary when your points are available to make reservations (based on the reservation date not the date you make the reservation). The GW is a special rider that just guarantees that DVC will make you a reservation for your week (and not cost any more points if the point cost goes up), I believe, 12 months out from the reservation date. You have up until 1 day before arrival day to opt out of the guaranteed week. The standard holding and banking rules apply to the GW contract because it didn't change any of that.

Your guide is likely incorrect you should get 2018 October points plus 2019 October points. They probably can't exercise your GW for 2019 since December is withing the 11 month window (DVC probably no longer has cash rooms at CCV to assign you either for a Welcome Home Visit at CCV during December) but you'll have double the points to use for that year by banking 2018's points. Then starting in December 2020 you'll be able to use the GW right if you want.

In the end, your consideration should be which resort your family would enjoy more.....you will always be able to stay at any other resort.
They all have pluses and minuses, they are all unique in their own way, they are all rentable, all are re-sellable.

This is the only purchase I tell people to use their heart, not their head to make the decision.

Last edited:
We were in the same situation you were in...we ended up buying at CCV because of the difficulty of getting in there at the 7 month window compared with getting into AKL at the 7th month window. We wanted to buy direct for the perks that are available right now and because we would like to be able to see new resorts as they open down the road with these points (we also bought a few more points than we initially planned to buy direct because of this) Our original plan was to buy 75 direct and then 150 resale...we are going to do it the opposite way right now (I know...not the most cost efficient plan...and most people on here will tell you that) but we want the ability to have those points available to use at Riviera down the road or some of the newer resorts.

It will cost us more in the long run financially...but it fits our goal and vision of how we want to use our DVC

We just bought last week...they originally wanted our use year to be October, but we requested December (was based solely on how we are using our points the first 5 years).

We received 150 points right now (2018 points) until Novemember 2019...we can bank them and they are good until November 2020
We will receive 150 points for 2019 in December of 2019...if banked...they are good until November 2021
In December of 2019 we would have 150 points on both ends (bank and borrow if necessary) plus our 2019 points for a total of 450

I can't speak to how the GW impacts any of that though...they also should prorate your dues for this year (I.E. you shouldn't be paying dues for the first 3 months...most likely 4 as we head into April).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts