Advise Please! Animal Kingdom can it be done in a day?

2MuchOhana

<font color=darkcoral>Need to figure that one out
This will be our first visit to AK. Can it be done in a day or do you recommend breaking it into two days? We will be a party of six adults and one toddler (age 2).

I am planning our itinery and I know we will want to go to Camp Minnie-Mickey and do everything there. Discovery Island we will try to do everything except "It's Tough to be a Bug" as it will be too scary for DD. We will want to do Everything in Africa and Rafiki's Planet Watch. Asia we will only do the Jungle Trek. DinoLand we will want to see "Tarzan Rocks", Play in the Boneyard and ride the Triceratops Spin (maybe).

We welcome any advise or suggestions you might have concerning AK. DM thinks we should break it down into two days to fully enjoy it. What does anyone else think? One day or two? Thanks in advance for your help!

You can absolutely get it done in one day... actually, most people think a half day is sufficient. We normally arrive first thing and stay til around 1:30 - 2:00. Be warned though that the afternoon can get really, really hot and sticky!!!! You would not catch me in that park past 2:00.

It sounds to me like all that could be done in one day at Animal Kingdom. Enjoy it! :)

Yes, I think so.

I would go when it first opens and head right for the safari (the animals are more active in the morning).

Plan the times for your shows and pick the main things you want to see (love the Bug's Life 3D show in the Tree of Life!).

They do have a character breakfast there, but we have never done it so I can't say if it is good or not. But that might be a nice way to 'start' the day.

The park closes earlier than the others, and there are no fireworks, but they do have a parade.

We love AK, it is a nice park.
DJ

yes - you can do this park in one day if you want to.

definitly go to the safari first thing...by pass everything and go right to africa when the park opens. if the line is already over a half hour, get a fast pass.

do NOT miss the festival of the lion king show - it's AMAZING and one of my personal favorite "oh I feel like a kid again" attractions. (Philharmagic gives me this feeling too!)

the Kali River Rapid ride is nice too...but on a hot day and make it your LAST stop of the day - you can get very wet!

just py-bass Dino-land-USA...not much to see there IMO...bunch of campy carnival games.

have fun! :)

Thank-you for all the advise. I thought it could be done in a day; but wanted to be certain. We will have time to come back again if there was something we missed or want to see again.

Yes, I did have Africa first on the list. We will be going our first full day there. It happens to be an EE day. This should also haelp doing it all in a day.

We will be there in December; so not too concerned that it will be too hot! Hoping it won't be too cold and wet!

DD loves "The Lion King" so the show is a MUST!

Thansk for all the great advise. More suggestions are certainly welcomed!

You can do AK in a day. You may not be able to take time to linger over some of the details (Tree of Life) and smaller animal exhibits, but you can do most major attractions in a day. Don't listen to that half day hooey. There are those who only choose to spend a half day in the park, but they don't see anthing close to the whole park.

First thing in the am we usually get fastpasses for the safari and then try and catch the first show of the Lion King. This is a not-to-be-missed show. The Pocahontas show in Camp Minnie Mickey is cute if you think your 2 year old will get a kick out of seeing the animals run across the stage. Not much for the adults, but it's short if yo can fit it in.

The Safari is great. I'd also recommend the walking trail in Africa, especially with a 2 yo. The train to Planet Watch is in this area. It is a cute area and your 2 yo will get a kick out of petting the sheep and goats.

Keep an eye on showtimes for Tarzan Rocks and plan a little around that. I don't agree about skipping Dino-Land, especially with a 2 yo. Our kids love the boneyard/dig site (hard time getting our 2 yo to leave), as well as Triceratops Spin. Adults in the group might like Primevil Whirl and Countdown to Extinction.

The walking trail in Asia is great, and the kids love it. If it is hot (or going to be hot) and anyone thinks they wold like to do Kali River Rapids make sure you get fastpasses early. Last two days we went to AK (in May) all fastpasses were distributed by 12:45. The ride is too short to justify going on the standby line, IMHO. One of those times we did because my 4 yo DD finally got up the courage to ride and was looking forward to it. A 45 minute posted standby wait ended up being more than two hours. Never again.

You didn't mention the parade, but it is a fun one and definitely worth seeing. We did the bird show once............wouldn't do it again unless the kids beg us. We like Donald's Breakfastosaurus. For lunch it is nice to grab something and head to the secluded seating areas on the water back behind the Flame Tree BBQ. You'd never know you were in the middle of a theme park - perhaps one of the most relaxing spots on property. Of course I have no idea if Expedition:Everest constructin is having an impact on the tranquil view.

Sounds like you will have a great time in the AK. It is our second favorite park (MK is first). Enjoy.

In less than five hours this past Saturday we did (in this order): Safari, Africa walking trail, Dinosaur, Bug, Flights of Wonder, Kali, Asia walking trail, lunch at Flame Tree, Tarzan and Lion King. I must admit that we had no waits, no Fastpasses and very good (lucky) timing. Rafiki’s Planet Watch can eat quite a bit of time (I’d say at least an hour). I didn’t stay for the parade this time, but I would recommend seeing it. Anyway, my answer is yes, the whole park can easily be done in a day, especially in December (as long as it’s not Christmas week).

Yikes! :faint: I can't believe I forgot to put the parade on the list of things to do.

Thank-you for the reminder! :jumping1:

Have you guys considered splitting into two groups just long enough to see It's Tough to be a Bug? One group stays with the toddler, the other sees the show, then switch? It's a great show, and I'm sure that a two year old would find plenty to see on the paths around the Tree of Life (where the movie is located) and in the surrounding areas to occupy you guys. It's just so cute, I hate for you to miss it!

I don't agree with skipping Dino-Land either...especially with a child at a good age for the boneyard...And Triceratops spin will be a hit if she likes Dumbo.

Also, don't miss Devine, a performer dressed as a vine on stilts. She performs the first ten minutes of every hour up until 12 on the path between Africa and Asia (times could change, but that was the standard in March, May, and August).

Have a great time!

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
You can do AK in a day. You may not be able to take time to linger over some of the details (Tree of Life) and smaller animal exhibits, but you can do most major attractions in a day. Don't listen to that half day hooey. There are those who only choose to spend a half day in the park, but they don't see anthing close to the whole park.

The perfect answer! ::yes::

We were really disappointed last year when we went to AK because I bought into the whole 1/2 day thing. I have 2 days that will be spent at AK scheduled for this trip. We are animal lovers and the park is just so darn beautiful. We definately feel that it has more than enough to keep us entertained.

AK is not a thrill ride park. It's not like the other 3 parks at WDW. It is a different experience, not bad, but different. If you like to watch Animal Planet or enjoyed Marlin Perkin's Wild Kingdom as a kid, you will love AK. Don't forget to ask the CM's questions. They have so much great stuff they can tell you about the animals and the park itself.

I vote that you plan for at least one full day and maybe keep a half day open for more later in the trip. Mickey

If the weather is warm, read anything above 70 degrees, AK can be stiffling hot in the afternoon. The only animals that are out an about are the humans. The rest of the animals are smart enough to stay quiet in the shade.

We try to do AK in two mornings. Get there when it opens and get out by noon. Spend the afternoon and evening in a cooler park such as MGM or Epcot. AK is not so much about attractions as about seeing and experiencing so take time and take it easy and you will have a great time.

Thank-you to everyone for responding to my question. It is really going to help put the finishing touches to our itinerary. We have been to the other parks; and have a pretty good handle on planning them. We plan to go to Ak on our first day this time. Unfortunately, we were unable to go there in July as we planned to late in the trip. We are looking forward to see it for the first time in December. Everyone in our group is a big animal lover; especially me and dd. I was planning on a full day there; and we have the flexibility to go back should we decide we want to spend more time there.

We will have to go to DL for Triceratop Spin. Dumbo and Aladin's Carpet are two of dd's favorite rides! Will keep our eyes open for Devine, too. I won't forget to pencil in the parade. Can't believe I forgot to put that on there. Found a link to help with show times, too. These are a must on our list in addition to seeing all the animals.

Forgot to metion we plan to eat lunch at Tusker's House. Hope it is as good as it sounds!

Suggestions and tips are always welcome!

Thanks Again to Everyone!

Hey do not forget the great show here. There are a group of gentlemen who do gymnastics through hoops and get the kids doing the Limbo. And while you are there and you are a group of Adults why not stop at the DAWA bar for a short one or two. The Bartender there is great and it is very relaxing.

We usually spend a couple days here but we love Animals. We spent over a couple hours just watching the cats last time there.

Oh, if you stop at the DAWA bar check out tropical drinks. I usually have a couple of frozen Kamikazees.

I hope this jogs some other people as to things not to miss.

The best advice I ever received from these boards about AK is - Do the Safari either 1st thing in the morning - or the very last thing in the day. And I will tell you - I saw more animals at the end of the day. Everyone is heading back to their overnight digs, so you will see all the Giraffes heading to what I thought was some sort of canyon - was actually a wall. All the animals know it is the end of the day and head back.

Also when I was there AK closed at 5 pm. But the last show of the Lion King was 4:45. Everyone is heading out - you can go to the show. Just saw the parade for the first time last week, - it was great, we really enjoyed it.

I don't think the AK is a 1 day park. But it can be done. It takes us hours just to see the Oasis (my DS 6). LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter