Afternoon naps with a 2.5 year old logistics

I haven't read the whole thread, but when we took our son at 18 months, we just did stroller naps. We tried bringing him back to the resort for a proper nap one day but he was way too excited to sleep. So...no nap that day. We found it better to let him fall asleep in the stroller when he was tired, which ended up being near his normal nap time.

We were there the 2nd week of May with temps in the mid 90s. We didn't have any fans or anything on the stroller and he was fine. We did try to find some shady spots to rest ourselves while he was napping though.

Would you consider renting a car? That way, you can be on your own timetable - no waiting for a bus. We used to use Disney transport until we had kids, then we started renting a car.

It sounds like lots of folks go the stroller nap route, but I'd just like to chime in on the resort nap side of things - we did it and it worked. My son was 13 months and NEEDED that long, quiet afternoon nap - everything was just way too exciting & overwhelming. He did some midmorning cat naps in his stroller or in arms, but that long afternoon stretch is what helped the evenings a bunch. We would keep him awake until we got back to the room, then get him set up in his pack and play and everyone would chill. We'd get him up again and head out around 4pm.

It did make it easier to park hop. If we were doing one park per day, I think the stroller nap would have been the way to go, but most of our plans had hopping.

We also did a split stay, and it was much easier to do this while at BLT than at AK. People are right to point out that a kid that falls asleep on the bus and then won't nap at the hotel is like the worst way to spend a vacation afternoon ever (you're stuck at the hotel now, with a kid that won't nap!).

I'll also say that my husband and I did afternoon breaks even before we had kids. So it's kind of our routine anyway...we like to take advantage of the cooler temps and lower crowds in the mornings and nights, and an afternoon swim or nap or just movie watching in the room is part of having some balance when we're there. Before we had kids, we could stay out very late for EMH and then make up for it with that afternoon nap. :) Now with kids, we just do early bedtimes and it's fine.

What you choose to do really depends on the personalities of your family members.

Yes, you will "waste" several hours going back to the resort to nap.

However, for my family it was the most necessary and beneficial aspect of the vacation.

Our first trip my youngest was just under two and I was dreading the thought of having to leave the parks for a nap, but knew we would be miserable if we didn't. It turned out that once we closed the curtains and got snuggled in with the AC on ALL five of us took a nap (for like 4 hours) every day. Our usual plan was morning EMH, head out of the park by 11, and then go to another park that evening around 5. I know to some people it seems crazy to only spend 3 hours in a park (maybe 6-7 total each day), but we did long trips (10-14 days) and never had any meltdowns (kids or adults) because we left on a good note before anyone got overstimulated.

While planning our second trip, DH just kept fantasizing about all the naps he was going to take. (Neither of us had ever before napped in our adult lives.) To him that was the highlight of the vacation (He had been working FT plus call and going to school FT so he really needed the rest. He was often still up at 2 or 3am and had to wake up at 5 for work.)

Even now that our kids are much older (middle school through college) and usually don't want to nap, we actually find riding the bus (or monorail or boat) during the day to be relaxing. We are all introverts, so it's recharging for us to get away from the crowds and sit in silence. Sometimes we will park hop or head to a resort for food just for this purpose. I don't mind it taking an hour to get somewhere if that time is spent in quiet away from other people.

We are going next week and just going to play it by ear with our 2 year old. I'm hoping she'll fall asleep in the stroller. I must have mom brain because we went to WDW about 10 months ago and I have no recollection what we did for naps then lol!

Will go back to read more thoroughly, but we just went to WDW with a 6yo and 21 month old, and our 6 yo has been to WDW frequently at the 2-3 ish age. Our kids, even now, are on the same schedule at home - overnight 8p-6a, and #2 naps from 1-3.

Trips when #1 was a toddler were rough, but we almost always took a resort break because #1 never napped except in a darkened room in her bed (or toddler bed, or pnp). But it had to be in a "bed" in a room. ARGH. But, we did it, even that year we stayed offsite and had a car. I would not recommend this - but on that 1 trip, we had 6 adults to 1 kid in an offsite condo, and 3 cars, so we were able to go back and forth fairly easily and meetup with the adults after nap.

#2 was 21 months when we were there in August, and she's a really good stroller napper. We generally still did midday breaks because WDW is just very tiring, it was super hot, and everyone appreciated a chance to wind down in the middle of the day.

As you can see from my signature, we stayed deluxe, but went to all the parks.

Generally what we did was:

let kids wake up when they wake up (6:30, at best). Slight hustle to park for rope drop or pre park open ADR. Enjoy parks until ~11am. Pick up lunch to eat at resort.
11-12 park to resort (includes leaving park, transportation, etc).
12-1 or 1:30 pick up lunch if we hadn't picked it up on the way out of the park; eat in room
1:30-3:30/4: NAP (everyone naps, if we can make it happen)
*sometimes we'd have to wake the kids, and sometimes there would be massive meltdown.
4-5(ish): return travel to a park (had PHs) or dinner. If dinner was in a park, sometimes there was time to do a ride or something right after dinner.

Back in room by 7:30/8, bedtime.

When we only had 1 kid, we would *on occasion* stay up later, or sometimes push it until 9 or even 10. We almost always had a meltdown on the way out of the park, but we might only have 1 or 2 late nights in a 1-week trip, which was manageable. If the kid fell asleep on the bus on the way back, it wasn't so horrible for bedtime since they were so tired by then we'd be able to get them to bed pretty easily.

With 2 kids, we've been a little more structured about the schedule, and since we bought DVC, don't always go back into the parks after nap since we don't feel as pressured to do everything on each trip. On the most recent trip, we only went back to MK after naps at the GF, and to EP after naps at BCV. One day (during the VGF part of our trip), we used FPs at MK, then went to AK, and pushed nap/lunch to later (#2 had a meltdown on the bus from AK-->VGF - apologies to everyone on that bus!!!), and just did pool and easy dinner at the resort after nap. (and one day we walked to/from BCV and HS and #2 fell asleep in the stroller before we left HS, and she ended up sleeping for 1.5 hours in the stroller! So we just went with that and had lots of fun pool time after she woke up.)

my point - stroller naps are great if you can get them to happen, but they're not that restful. And you may end up with a meltdown anyway. You know your kids and your family's energy level - I'm a big fan of the midday break because I HATE the heat, and I grew up going to WDW during summer vacations (thunderstorms and heat anyway), and we'd nap at WDW even though we never napped at home. And then my sister and I got to stay up for all the late night activities too.

What you choose to do really depends on the personalities of your family members.

Yes, you will "waste" several hours going back to the resort to nap.

However, for my family it was the most necessary and beneficial aspect of the vacation.

Our first trip my youngest was just under two and I was dreading the thought of having to leave the parks for a nap, but knew we would be miserable if we didn't. It turned out that once we closed the curtains and got snuggled in with the AC on ALL five of us took a nap (for like 4 hours) every day. Our usual plan was morning EMH, head out of the park by 11, and then go to another park that evening around 5. I know to some people it seems crazy to only spend 3 hours in a park (maybe 6-7 total each day), but we did long trips (10-14 days) and never had any meltdowns (kids or adults) because we left on a good note before anyone got overstimulated.

While planning our second trip, DH just kept fantasizing about all the naps he was going to take. (Neither of us had ever before napped in our adult lives.) To him that was the highlight of the vacation (He had been working FT plus call and going to school FT so he really needed the rest. He was often still up at 2 or 3am and had to wake up at 5 for work.)

Even now that our kids are much older (middle school through college) and usually don't want to nap, we actually find riding the bus (or monorail or boat) during the day to be relaxing. We are all introverts, so it's recharging for us to get away from the crowds and sit in silence. Sometimes we will park hop or head to a resort for food just for this purpose. I don't mind it taking an hour to get somewhere if that time is spent in quiet away from other people.

Ha! just read this and I will say that this family of extreme extroverts also finds the mid day break to be a great way to recharge. This last trip, we had some very relaxing days and we didn't always make #1 nap with us - so then DH and I would argue over who got to stay in the room with #2 and nap!!

For those of you that had kids stroller nap... how did that work out in the heat? That's my worry is that he'll just be a sweaty overheated puddle and that dad and I will be too hot to just walk outside with him.
You can take the stroller into stores to get some AC. We've gone in May, June, August, Sept and November with LOs who take/took stroller naps. We'd find a good spot in the shade or in a store while Lo slept. Or we'd walk around. I hated traveling back because once our kids were up from a nap, even just 10-15 min, they wouldn't go back down. The time spent traveling and hoping for a nap never seemed to be worth it.

FWIW, my 2 year old has a very similar sleep schedule. She sleeps 8-7 and then naps 1-3 (sometimes even 4 or 4:30). At Disney she'd fall asleep in her stroller when she was tired and she'd be out for at least an hour or two. She'd be up a little later at night there but that wasn't an issue at all. She'd just fall asleep at night in the stroller or the Tula baby carrier.

I have lived through this period twice with two girls.
Make sure you have a stroller that fold flat.
Find a cool place like a gift shop or quiet corner and park yourself.
We let the other adults usually in the party to roam around, go on rides, find a DRINK!!!
We made it part of our days and planned for it. It always made a huge difference in the kids moods as well as the adults (most important-we adults can get moody)

My son wouldn't nap in a stroller both times we visited. So we just ended up leaving the parks midday to nap with hopes of coming back. Which didn't actually end up happening when he was 1 and 2. Hoping it will work (or he will sleep in the stroller this trip).

However, I found the baby center to be very calming for him and while he didn't do a full nap in the park there, he did sleep in my arms a bit there out of the heat and noise.

I try to go back to the room at least the first day, but then most other days I just let the napping happen in the stroller (folds flat) or the Tula carrier. Mine do not usually nap in a stroller, but will at Disney.

Not directly related, but having the Tula is especially helpful for later evenings at the parks. My 4.5yo fell asleep on me on the bus and I just carried her back to the room that way. Also, if they look like they are getting sleepy, I can go ahead and put them in the carrier and then don't have to worry about transferring to/from the stroller at the bus/resort.

Right now at just turned 2 our guy sleeps from 8pm to 6am and naps from 1pm to 3pm (sometimes 4pm if he's really wiped). We'll be going to disneyworld in late May and wondering how other parents handled naps.
It was the BEST excuse ever for me to nap every day when our youngest DD was 2. I did wake her after 2 hours to keep her sleep schedule on track.

It was the BEST excuse ever for me to nap every day when our youngest DD was 2. I did wake her after 2 hours to keep her sleep schedule on track.

We did this too! Also, other than her newborn days ODD just NEVER napped in a stroller, even a nice reclining one. FOMO was strong in that one. YDD also has extreme FOMO, but that's mainly shown up in how she tries to stay up with big sister and get up when big sister gets up, but she will crash for her nap when she gets too tired. She's fallen asleep in my arms on DME, in a baby swing on the playground, and slept well in a stroller. Every kid is different.

We've done it a lot of different ways, but I remember the first time being SO WORRIED about how it would work out. It will be fine!

My middle child napped in his stroller or we would make it back to the room. We did a lot of walking around while he slept in the stroller while one of us went off with our older son. We used two fans!! One for him and one on the handle bar for us! At Epcot or HS we would just walk out of the park and walk up and down the boardwalk. I know it sounds crazy to split up, but the quiet was so nice. And it's pretty shady on the walk so not too hot.

we rented a car when he was 18 months and he mostly napped in the car on the way to the resort. One of us would drive around a little extra with the AC and one of us would pop out with my older son and swim or get ready for the next stop.

Good luck! It will work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter