Age requirements for riding alone?

megs1313

DIS Veteran
I tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. We are touring with 11 kids this time ranging in age from 13-infant. I need to figure out if we have the right combo of adult/child for each ride we are doing....which is proving complicated. what I need to know is:

Can a 12+ yo ride without an adult? Can a child under 12 ride with a child 12+ instead of an adult? There are only 2 adults in our group that will do all the thrill rides, but 7 kids who want to do them all. 2 of those kids are over 12, i'm trying to make sure this works or see if I need to do some rider swap situations. TIA!

Thanks, everybody! I have a big problem then! I have no kids over 13....but 3 under 7. Which means, my 2 adults will have 3 under 7s to ride with. Anyone know how this will work on rides that only seat 2 at a time? On rides that seat 3, it should be fine, but what about something like SDMT? Any ideas?

This question has come up before. I think if your party is riding 7DMT together, then they are considered to be riding together. Otherwise, how would 6year olds ever ride SpaceMtn? There's no such thing as sitting side by side on Space Mtn. Young kids HAVE to be able to sit in front of/behind their parents. A rare exception is the Tomorrowland Speedway. In that case, the cars are completely separate from each other.

Your under sevener's also wouldn't be allowed to use the single rider option for the few attractions that have a SR option.

CM's also allow groups of 3 on rides like Peter Pan and Astro Orbiter, where parties of 4 are typically split into groups of 2.

On rides that seat 3, it should be fine, but what about something like SDMT? Any ideas?

Disney goes by "vehicle" not row. So, for SDMT, there are 2 rows per vehicle so you will be fine. For something like Barnstormer, it is 1 row per vehicle, so that one could be a problem.

Disney goes by "vehicle" not row. So, for SDMT, there are 2 rows per vehicle so you will be fine. For something like Barnstormer, it is 1 row per vehicle, so that one could be a problem.

Not always. 7DMT has been an issue for many people. I've seen families left on the loading station when there wasn't an older child/adult riding with a child wanting to sit right in front of them. It's been reported it goes both ways so maybe a 50/50 chance.

Not always. 7DMT has been an issue for many people. I've seen families left on the loading station when there wasn't an older child/adult riding with a child wanting to sit right in front of them. It's been reported it goes both ways so maybe a 50/50 chance.

Yikes! Maybe I'll try to talk one of the 6 year olds into meeting a princess instead or something.....

Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

Yikes! Maybe I'll try to talk one of the 6 year olds into meeting a princess instead or something.....

I would check with the CMs at the ride and see what they say. Perhaps they can do something like the Rider Swap or allow you to do some kind of swap at the loading area. It may even be that they will just let you ride with one of them with one of the older ones. You just won't know until you get there as on site CMs have final word.

Or I know some have been able to work it out with one sitting with a stranger adult from odd group since the fill the cars anyway. We are usually an odd number of adults and often have a child sit with one of us.

7 and up can ride alone.
Under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14 and up.
So just know that the 13 year old would not be eligible to ride with anyone under 7 as you must be 14 to do so.

who would go with that child as you would loose one of your adults that you need for the others to all ride

who would go with that child as you would loose one of your adults that you need for the others to all ride

i'm touring with two groups: one that likes thrill rides and one that doesn't. the group that likes thrill rides is comprised of 2 adults, 7 kids. the other group is 3 adults, 4 kids. So, if I need to I can have a kid hang back with the group that won't be doing SDMT.

Truly, I've been on 7DMT a number of times. Just so you know: 7DMT is not a thrill ride. It is very smooth, not at all intense, quite short, and cute. The middle section of the ride moves quite slowly.

I don't know the folks in your party, but if any of them are remotely on the fence about riding, they should book a FP now for it, then make a final choice when they see it in person. Better to be prepped, than sorry. If they decide against riding, they should have no problem finding an alternative FP that's to their liking (as long as they decide before noon-ish, and probably even beyond noon most weeks except major holidays.)

thanks for asking this question because I wanted to know the answer myself. I have twin 10 year olds and I had this idea that while my husband,mom and I eat at the Mexican pavilion restaurant the boys could ride that river ride in there alone over and over since they are not really into mexican food. I am glad to know they will let them do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter