Ages of your kids for Stroller use?

What Age do people stop taking a stroller for their children?

• Total voters
I let my kids have ice cream for breakfast at Disney. I’ve let them call their pool shower their official bath of the day. They drink too much soda. And do all kinds of things there that we don’t do at home.

But I’m way too selfish to push anyone around after the age of 6. Luckily my kids were done by 4/5. Pushing a stroller is exhausting. Finding parking is annoying. Opening and closing it for transportation is a headache.

Once we went stroller free and bag less it opened up a whole new Disney world. Looking back I should’ve waited to go to Disney until they were done with strollers in the first place.

Another vote for your selections are too high. Both our girls were out of strollers before 5. They both did great at WDW and we did so much better not having to lug it around or find places to park it. I would vote 5 as max age if it was on the poll.

We us the strollers for snacks and drinks to save money on our trips. We do rope drop every morning. by mid day she already tired. We go commando style at the parks. If we didn't have a stroller we would be stopping at every bench from one ride to the next. We wouldn't get half of of what we wanted to do done. shes 8

We us the strollers for snacks and drinks to save money on our trips. We do rope drop every morning. by mid day she already tired. We go commando style at the parks. If we didn't have a stroller we would be stopping at every bench from one ride to the next. We wouldn't get half of of what we wanted to do done. shes 8
It’s so handy to have a stroller to throw all your stuff in, I was actually quite sad when our youngest insisted she didn’t want us to rent one anymore! (“Are you SURE sweetie.... you may get tired later”). I always preferred pushing a stroller loaded with stuff to wearing a backpack

Here's what I truly believe, kids today are slugs. No more running outside. I'm a teacher, and we take the kids out for recess. Most of the kids just sit around, and do nothing. No running, playing games (wait! play? where's the iphone?) Many kids today spend too much time in front of a screen, so it's no wonder they lack the stamina to walk a day at WDW.

Here's what I truly believe, kids today are slugs. No more running outside. I'm a teacher, and we take the kids out for recess. Most of the kids just sit around, and do nothing. No running, playing games (wait! play? where's the iphone?) Many kids today spend too much time in front of a screen, so it's no wonder they lack the stamina to walk a day at WDW.

Sad but true. And most of the posters say that they put their older kids in a stroller because they don't want to be slowed down by their kids. Kids can use the exercise, we all can.

Sad but true. And most of the posters say that they put their older kids in a stroller because they don't want to be slowed down by their kids. Kids can use the exercise, we all can.
My 8 year old and now 6 year old ( her Birthday was 12/27 at WDW) walks everywhere all day. Also did so last year. We did the 5am HS twice this past December to get RotR boarding passes. Both girls walked all day with no problems. We don't rush and stop for drink breaks whenever they want. We have a relaxed time and get to ride everything we want. They are both active and play outside a lot. I just can't imagine pushing either of them in a stroller at their age.

Another vote for your selections are too high. Both our girls were out of strollers before 5. They both did great at WDW and we did so much better not having to lug it around or find places to park it. I would vote 5 as max age if it was on the poll.

We have 2 kids - ages 5 and 3.5. The oldest has been to WDW 4 times, the youngest 3 times. Going back in a few weeks.

Based on last year’s visit, my 5 year old will walk most of the time. I debated just bringing a single for my youngest, but it will be nice to have a spot for the 5 year old to sit down to have a snack or drink, or to hop in if we are stuck in a heavy crowd (lots of adults seem to look up and over the crowd, and don’t pay attention to little people walking.) The 3.5 year old may nap in the stroller in the afternoon. Otherwise, he’ll also walk most of the day (this is how it went last year when they were 4 & 2.5.)

With the way things are going, I think this may be our last trip with the stroller. My kids really mostly prefer to walk. My 5 year old could really do without it, we’re just bringing it for the 3.5 year old primarily. It’s a very compact and light double stroller.

Every kid and family is different. I don’t really care what anyone else does. Everyone should do what works best for them.

We just slow down. If it’s not a once in a lifetime trip I don’t see the need to rush through to the point that people in your party don’t have the stamina to walk anymore. If you know you’ll be back again you can relax more.

We just got back from a 9 night trip. We spent 7 days in the parks. My 3 year old no longer uses the stroller at home but we took it on the trip because of how much walking we do. We put him in it on the first park day at MK. We made it to the castle before he wanted out. Second park day, we pushed an empty stroller all morning. That was it. We didn't bring the stroller home with us.
The ages in this poll are way too high!

Your choices were too high for me to vote, but we are taking my extremely tall almost 5 year old in February. I definitely am not taking a stroller. She hasn't used one since she was about 2 anyway. Even if I wanted to use a stroller with her, I would be hard pressed to find one that she can fit into and isn't ridiculously big or expensive. I am not buying another stroller just for a Disney trip either. She is 48 inches tall and 52 lbs, so her feet drag when sitting in any stroller. Additionally, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of bringing one to the airport and then on a plane, then DME, then on Disney buses/gondolas/etc. We purposely waited to go to Disney until our kid was 5 so we could avoid bringing everything needed for younger kids. With all that being said, I am not saying that my 5 year old will be able to handle walking 10-15 miles a day. She's going to be exhausted! Don't judge me if you see us walking towards the exits with my unconscious kid slung over my shoulder!:rotfl2:

Since we're driving to WDW, we'll throw a single stroller into our van. However, don't be surprised if I share in March that I never used it. Kids are 2, 5, 7, and 9. We will have a toddler and preschool sized carriers on us though, which my younger two are used to being worn still. Mostly, we'll go at their pace. We'll take breaks. We'll enjoy what we do get to do, which won't be everything. My 9yo is WAY too big for our strollers by weight and height. Even with my nicest and highest weight capacity stroller I couldn't manage to push him very far without being exhausted.

Since we're driving to WDW, we'll throw a single stroller into our van. However, don't be surprised if I share in March that I never used it. Kids are 2, 5, 7, and 9. We will have a toddler and preschool sized carriers on us though, which my younger two are used to being worn still. Mostly, we'll go at their pace. We'll take breaks. We'll enjoy what we do get to do, which won't be everything. My 9yo is WAY too big for our strollers by weight and height. Even with my nicest and highest weight capacity stroller I couldn't manage to push him very far without being exhausted.
You're going to wear your 5 year old?
I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just truly perplexed.

You're going to wear your 5 year old?
I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just truly perplexed.
Yes. There are a few baby carrier manufacturers that make carriers for preschoolers on up, so everyone is very comfortable. It's fantastic for hiking for my family, since we can't quite trust him when there's big drop offs next to a trail and his legs can't always keep up if we're trying to beat a storm or such. Might as well wear him for Disney too! I'm sure 90% of the time he'll be walking. lol. My high school backpack was harder to carry than he is. ;)

Yes. There are a few baby carrier manufacturers that make carriers for preschoolers on up, so everyone is very comfortable. It's fantastic for hiking for my family, since we can't quite trust him when there's big drop offs next to a trail and his legs can't always keep up if we're trying to beat a storm or such. Might as well wear him for Disney too! I'm sure 90% of the time he'll be walking. lol. My high school backpack was harder to carry than he is. ;)
I originally was imagining a 5 year old tied to your chest, facing you. This sounds like he's on your back. It still feels awkward to me, just knowing how independent my older child was at 5 years old.

Last edited:
I originally was imagining a 5 year old tied to your chest, facing you. This sounds like he's on your back. It still feels awkward to me, just knowing how independent my older child was at 5 years old.

While I don't personally have a preschool carrier, I have seen them used at Disney, and I think they're a great idea. It's no different than giving a kid a piggy back ride, except it would be easier because you're hands free. I have a just turned 4 year old who wants to walk, but then we get in line and she's suddenly sitting on the floor because she's tired and bored and her legs have apparently stopped working, and then I'm holding her on one hip or my husband has her on his back. I can see how a carrier would absolutely help in this circumstance.

While I don't personally have a preschool carrier, I have seen them used at Disney, and I think they're a great idea. It's no different than giving a kid a piggy back ride, except it would be easier because you're hands free. I have a just turned 4 year old who wants to walk, but then we get in line and she's suddenly sitting on the floor because she's tired and bored and her legs have apparently stopped working, and then I'm holding her on one hip or my husband has her on his back. I can see how a carrier would absolutely help in this circumstance.
I don't disagree. I can see how it could help in some situations depending on the child and on the adult doing the carrying.
It's not for me though :)

I think it really depends on the kid. My oldest is 7 and we didn't use a stroller for her. I had a single stroller for my youngest (22 months at the time of our trip) and brought a baby carrier in case I needed to wear the youngest and let the oldest ride in the stroller. My oldest walked all day for 5 park days and the Halloween party and never complained or asked to sit in the stroller once. She even wore the same pair of shoes every day even though I brought others. I was surprised that she never complained since she sometimes does after a zoo trip at home, but I think it was the Disney magic :-) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter