Airmiles Armchair Chatter

If I book a hotel on the AM website for cash most have free cancellation from what I see. If you book using miles can you still cancel? It's been a while since I used my points for hotels and I know before once you booked with miles you couldn't cancel (or it was very difficult). Just wondering if there is flexibility now or not?

If I book a hotel on the AM website for cash most have free cancellation from what I see. If you book using miles can you still cancel? It's been a while since I used my points for hotels and I know before once you booked with miles you couldn't cancel (or it was very difficult). Just wondering if there is flexibility now or not?
I checked the terms for a number of recent bookings and it seemed to depend on the hotel whether cancellation was available or not...

For example, Pop Century was listed as refundable along the same lines of the Disney cancellation policy. Royal Pacific at Universal Studios was listed as completely non-refundable.

However I have never actually tried to cancel so I only have half a data point to share.

Last edited:
Just wondering about buying Universal tickets. We have 3 people going mid April and want to get 2 day Park to Park passes for each person. I'm new to collecting miles and I suspect that I'll only be able to earn enough miles to get 1 park to park pass (2500 miles). That would leave me with two 2 day park to park tickets and one 1 day park to park tickets that I have to purchase. My question is can I pair the airmiles ticket with the 1 day park to park pass that I bought? It's probably a dumb question but I'm just trying to make sure that I'm covering all bases. We will also be staying at the Royal Pacific for one night for the express passes.

Just wondering about buying Universal tickets. We have 3 people going mid April and want to get 2 day Park to Park passes for each person. I'm new to collecting miles and I suspect that I'll only be able to earn enough miles to get 1 park to park pass (2500 miles). That would leave me with two 2 day park to park tickets and one 1 day park to park tickets that I have to purchase. My question is can I pair the airmiles ticket with the 1 day park to park pass that I bought? It's probably a dumb question but I'm just trying to make sure that I'm covering all bases. We will also be staying at the Royal Pacific for one night for the express passes.

You should be able to upgrade the 1 day ticket to 2 days when you get there. It isn't quite like Disney where you need tickets in hand to book your fastpasses, so doing the upgrade (waiting until you are there) won't be a problem.

You should be able to upgrade the 1 day ticket to 2 days when you get there. It isn't quite like Disney where you need tickets in hand to book your fastpasses, so doing the upgrade (waiting until you are there) won't be a problem.
Thanks!!

This weekend at Rexall, spend $30 on almost anything in the store get a $10 receipt coupon. For those who are in the habit of collecting cash AM this is an OK deal. $10 is like 100AM not a bad return for spending $30. Take that $10 you save on your next purchase and put that into your vacation fund.

You have to do a bit of twisting it around in your mind but it's all that's out there right now. Winter drought after a Blue Friday week :(

So I need two more 7 day Disney passes prior to summer vacation( fast pass day not until June ) after CDN residency sale is over how many airmiles are 7 day passes usually ? I don’t know I can get enough airmiles before June and whether I just bite the billet and buy before it ends ?

I did manage to add a night through dvc prior to vacation. We are at BW for a night now so 1 night in Tampa opposed to two . Has anyone stayed there ?

Happy Thursday all

So I need two more 7 day Disney passes prior to summer vacation( fast pass day not until June ) after CDN residency sale is over how many airmiles are 7 day passes usually ? I don’t know I can get enough airmiles before June and whether I just bite the billet and buy before it ends ?

I did manage to add a night through dvc prior to vacation. We are at BW for a night now so 1 night in Tampa opposed to two . Has anyone stayed there ?

Happy Thursday all

how close are you to getting even one more ticket? Will StB post in time and be enough? I have noticed that even after the official promo ends, Airmiles has leftover discount tickets to use up. So you may have a bit of extra time to get one more. Getting a few hundred airmiles is much easier than getting another 6000 or something like that. Personally, I'd see how many airmiles I have and if it's close for one more ticket I would look at getting that, and buying one before the end of the discount. I would not want to have to pay full price!

Flexible date base tickets are on the airmiles site now - 7 days would be 6050 Airmiles. I don't anticipate that would change much unless the price goes up (which of course could happen). Those are not the CDN discount tickets.

OT not AM but anyone going after start of Feb. Big changes at DHS. Now Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog are the only tier 1 rides ALL others are open for tier 2...good luck
Thanks for the heads up! We love TSM and TOT! This makes the selection of the 3 FPs so much easier. I think the Mickey Minnie train ride will be another Tier 1. We are going in December. I wonder if ROTR will still be accessing by grouping or changed to FP by then.

Just did the Redeem 95 Cash AM at Sobeys. Like Metro, the AM do not appear on your receipt but will show up in your account 4-6 weeks down the road.

When I first checked out the AM Cash redemption was not an option (wasn't working for that cashier). I went to CS and explained the issue. They did a bulk return (total only) of my order put the amount on a GC then I bulk repurchased everything again using the 95AM Cash this time. I have $10 left on the GC for another shop.

Just wanted to mention this solution in case anyone else runs into this redemption difficulty.

OT not AM but anyone going after start of Feb. Big changes at DHS. Now Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog are the only tier 1 rides ALL others are open for tier 2...good luck

thanks for sharing

this change has me reeling. I'm within the 30-day window of my trip, so no smuggler's run FPs to be had for my group at this point. how Disney can make a change like this with no advanced notice to resort guests is amazing. how disappointing.

@marchingstar , Mention it when you check in. Who knows they might sprinkle a little pixie dust and give you an anytime FP. Can't hurt to try.

good idea.

i already sent off an email. i don’t expect anything to come of it, but it made me feel a bit better!

even with no pixie dust, we’ll still have a great time. it’s frustrating, but there’s much worse news we could be getting last minute.

thanks for sharing

this change has me reeling. I'm within the 30-day window of my trip, so no smuggler's run FPs to be had for my group at this point. how Disney can make a change like this with no advanced notice to resort guests is amazing. how disappointing.

Sorry for my ignorance, I have not been to WDW since they started with the tier stuff, only to MVMCP where it doesn't matter.

What is the issue with Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog being tier 1? Is it because you can only get one tier 1 ride per day therefore you cannot secure FP for both or is this case specific to your trip?
I understand that SR was part of the boarding pass to Galaxy's Edge. Isnt it better to have a fast pass for SR than try to fit SR and Rise of the Resistance into the allotted time?

Again, I have not been following the info for Galaxy's Edge and its rides as I have no plans to go in the next little while but I am interested for future trips.
@marchingstar why can't you get a FP if it was just announced? That really doesn't seem fair. I am not doubting you, I am just wondering-did they go quickly?
I would think if you have tickets in the MDE with fast passes booked already for that time frame that you have very legit reasons to complain (as you said you did)

I am sure you will have a great trip regardless

Sorry for my ignorance, I have not been to WDW since they started with the tier stuff, only to MVMCP where it doesn't matter.

What is the issue with Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog being tier 1? Is it because you can only get one tier 1 ride per day therefore you cannot secure FP for both or is this case specific to your trip?
I understand that SR was part of the boarding pass to Galaxy's Edge. Isnt it better to have a fast pass for SR than try to fit SR and Rise of the Resistance into the allotted time?

Again, I have not been following the info for Galaxy's Edge and its rides as I have no plans to go in the next little while but I am interested for future trips.
@marchingstar why can't you get a FP if it was just announced? That really doesn't seem fair. I am not doubting you, I am just wondering-did they go quickly?
I would think if you have tickets in the MDE with fast passes booked already for that time frame that you have very legit reasons to complain (as you said you did)

So you are right only able to get one FP in tier 1. And 2 in tier 2. The same for epcot. AK and MK have no tiers yet. And if they do then there are real tears.

Oh I can see what’s confusing.

The problem isn’t tiering. It’s that since it opened, Smugglers Run has been standby only. No FP line at all.

This morning, with no notice and no announcement, Disney added it as an option to the FP list. Along with this, they rearranged the tiers at hollywood studios.

So the problem for me is that my trip is less than 30 days away. That means anyone, not just resort guests, can make FPs. Since Disney didn’t give any warning, I didn’t find out until morts post, and so by the time I looked FPs we’re gone for every day in our 10 day trip.

The standby line for SR has been manageable, but adding it as a FP option means it’s going to be too long for my family. My frustration is that I made my FPs at 60 days like Disney requires, only for them to change the rules without telling me.

Edited to say: anyone with a trip 61+ days away will have the notice, so it’s a problem specific to my trip’s timing. I bet it’ll still be a tough FP to get, but at least the playing field is what you’d expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!