Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Okay, after seeing the third report on this thread of someone who ordered a child "Canadian Resident Discount" ticket and received a regular child ticket, I cracked and ordered one.

The way I figure it, if I get a regular child ticket (fingers crossed!), it will have an upgrade value of $373 US for 2850 Air Miles redeemed, or 13.1 US cents / AM.

If I am unlucky and actually receive what I ordered, it will have a value somewhere around $255, or about 9 US cents / AM. That's still better than the current "cost" of the adult tickets, which work out to a value of around 8 US cents / AM.

The catch is that I don't really need the ticket. Thanks to the Canadian Resident special, I have a tidy little pile of tickets now (this is the 6th for my family of 4), with no firm plans for their use. We will travel to WDW in March using our current APs, which will be our third trip in just over a year (making use of the 13-month APs!), and we'll likely take an extended break from WDW trips after that. I don't usually like to leave money tied up indefinitely like this, but the potential value here was too good to pass up. We'll find a use for them eventually.

I joined you. We are 10 days away from leaving and I'm short a non-Canadian ticket to add a hopper to. Not sure if redeeming for a child ticket was one of my better decisions, our kids are all in university lol. I think in the very least I'll have lots of information about what we can upgrade and what we can't! If none of our tickets can be upgraded at a reasonable cost, it will be our first trip without hoppers so I thought I might as well increase our options.

Squeaked in the ticket purchase a few minutes ago after my Lowes lightbulb purchases posted, no more "dreaming" for awhile:

upload_2017-10-19_22-20-54.png

Question for those of you who have BOTH the CDN voucher & the actual child's ticket from AM -- does it show in your MDE as being a CDN voucher or just that it's a child's ticket with the expiry date of 2030? Not sure who is in this situation .. @buyerbrad & @momof2gr8kids ??

Last edited:
This is my curiosity peaked. This might be helpful to us if the daughter has a destination wedding. How I read it is...you can only use $400.00 per person per booking. You can get up to $750 per day in vouchers...but only use 400.00 per person per booking
The limit is only on the e-vouchers you get from redeeming CASH miles. If you redeem DREAM miles you will get an actual gift certificate and there is NO limit on the number you can use on those.
***Edited to add -- you can't combine the 2 types of certificates!
I did a FB chat with AM (prefer it because it dings when they respond so i can be doing other things while i wait!) and was able to get some of the fine print cleared up! The line about "only on new bookings" means you can't apply it to a booking you made before AM changed the way they are handling travel bookings now (mid-june). Just let them know when you make the booking that you will be using Airmiles certificates towards your final payment and collect as many as you can before that point. Super happy about that because we now have till Feb 4th to chip away at our trip to Punta Cana -- currently just shy of $1400 off the trip
@bababear_50 thought you'd be interested in this info as well

Last edited:
I am really close to depleting my Cash miles (trip savings fund is adding up quick!). Can I buy $150 in Sobeys eVouchers and use them all in the same transaction? Meaning, I'm not capped at the $100 per day redemption?
I did some serious searching, googling, chatting & digging and I wasn't able to find an answer to this question that is consistent. My gut feeling is that there shouldn't be any problem with using multiple cards, i *think* the cap is on the actual purchasing of the cards from your account???

Oh I forgot about that 25 for using a load n go! better write that one down :)

We aren't going to get all the marvel micro guys :( we've been lucky to only get one duplicate so far but I don't have the budget to spend that much more money in a week! Maybe 3 more next week for groceries and gas for the car, but we still need 8 more. Ah well.

Got my black onyx card in the mail today. It's so pretty! :) Can't wait to use it somewhere...
Oh no! I forgot about the Marvel toys. I should have one after spending $43 at Rexall! Probably too many coupons to scan and the cashier forgot.

Oh no! I forgot about the Marvel toys. I should have one after spending $43 at Rexall! Probably too many coupons to scan and the cashier forgot.
I have had to remember to ask. I missed getting one at Global petfoods because I didn't and wasn't sure they offered them. I have tried asking for extras but they always say no and a few places scan them in. Ah well.

Question for those of you who have BOTH the CDN voucher & the actual child's ticket from AM -- does it show in your MDE as being a CDN voucher or just that it's a child's ticket with the expiry date of 2030? Not sure who is in this situation .. @buyerbrad & @ momof2gr8kids ??

Once I added it to my MDE, the email confirmations from Disney refers to the child ticket as a "05-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket", whereas the other 3 say "05-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket - CAN Res Certificate". Additionally, the MDE screenshot shows an expiry date of "2019-01-14" and the other 3 show "2030-12-31"

My AirMiles app hasn’t not been up to date compared to the website (showing my actual miles) since Wednesday now! What the heck?

At least the offers are current.

I need Vitamin C, probiotics, and shampoo and conditioner this week so looks like I’m heading to Rexall on Monday!

Question for those of you who have BOTH the CDN voucher & the actual child's ticket from AM -- does it show in your MDE as being a CDN voucher or just that it's a child's ticket with the expiry date of 2030? Not sure who is in this situation .. @buyerbrad & @ momof2gr8kids ??

In my MDE, it doesn't show any expiration dates. We bought our DD9's tickets with regular air miles promotion (not CAN rate). I can check the actual hard ticket tonight to see about any dates on it.

Finally!
I got a load N Go offer
spend $30.00 get 60 airmiles.:)
Hugs Mel
Mine is spend $10 get 20 AM. Add that insult to the fact that I forgot to load my load n go last week and only got the email coupon value and not both.....bleh, stupid me.

That is the ONLY offer i got this time ... not a happy camper Spend $60.00 get 100 AM, no way that is happening when i just spent $80 yesterday. No other offers and they can't use the standard, canned answer of "the more you use the more you'll get" because I used 4 yesterday (all of the ones i had except the stupid no-name hair regrowth crud) Wanted to do an on-line chat but the "line" is stupid long this morning

In my MDE, it doesn't show any expiration dates. We bought our DD9's tickets with regular air miles promotion (not CAN rate). I can check the actual hard ticket tonight to see about any dates on it.

The expiry dates only show in the app, not through the website ... unless I am missing something.

Just back from Sobeys shop (Barrhaven for those in the neighbourhood) and I have to vent.

I picked up 2 of the cakes on the front page buy 1 get 50AM. Not all the tags were up yet so I specifically asked the bakery person if this particular cake counted towards the 50AM promotion. Yes it did. Went through the cash, AM total seemed low, went to the car to reconcile my shop before I left the parking lot. Sure enough I was only given 50AM for one of the two cakes I purchased.

Went in to speak with CS to get the other 50AM added. He was helping someone else so I patiently waited. Finally got around to me and I told him what happened. Usually just a simple add the airmiles. No not with this one. He read the flyer and then said he thought it was one cake per purchase or collector account I don't know which. Tried to call a manager to ask. Flipped through lots of papers in their exception binder. Other people showed up with questions so he finally said "Oh I'll just put them through because I'm too busy to look this up now."

I got my 50AM but I left feeling like I was doing something wrong.

Anyone else want to try 2 cakes and see if this happens to you? Last week at Foodland, no issue what so ever. It wasn't like I was picking up 6 of them. I bought 2.

That is the ONLY offer i got this time ... not a happy camper Spend $60.00 get 100 AM, no way that is happening when i just spent $80 yesterday. No other offers and they can't use the standard, canned answer of "the more you use the more you'll get" because I used 4 yesterday (all of the ones i had except the stupid no-name hair regrowth crud) Wanted to do an on-line chat but the "line" is stupid long this morning

Ugh, mine is spend $80, get 100AM. :(

My new L+G is 30 for $30, 60 for $50, or 100 for $70. PLUS a seperate 60 for $30. I'm tempted by that one but I just spent $41 yesterday for 120.

(sigh) Rexall gave me mine yesterday, but I was rushing through the line at Foodland and just realized I did not get one from the Foodland Cashier. My Dad lives right by there and we are going for lunch tomorrow. I think I'll pop in with the receipt and get it.

I see my 150 AM for air miles shops just came though. Anyone's else waiting for this and have been credited?

No. I just checked and I'm still waiting. Hopefully later today then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter