Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Just back from my weekly Rexall shop. Spent $63.31 before tax, and earned 215 air miles. Besides the spend $50 get 114 AM, I had a targeted offer of spend $25 get 50am, and then also had targeted offers for Advil and Dove Soap which stacked with the flyer price/am. pretty good shop. I may go back later in the week for another 114 airmiles ($50), a couple of the things I wanted weren't in stock so I had to get some alternates.

My Rexall shop was good also.Spend $68.30 with tax
199 airmiles between my Load N Go and targeted offers. I did have to get one Targeted offer added manually by the *New* manager.
Cashier mentioned to her that I am a *avid* airmiles shopper,,lol.

av·id
ˈavəd/
adjective
  1. having or showing a keen interest in or enthusiasm for something.
    "an avid reader of science fiction"
    synonyms: keen, eager, enthusiastic, ardent, passionate, zealous, hard-core; More
    • having an eager desire for something.
      "she was avid for information about the murder inquiry"

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
I'm finally catching up on the DIS while heading home from the office early on the GO (hey I worked all weekend so I deserve to leave at 4!!) Is anyone else concerned about this new date based WDW ticket pricing coming into effect Oct16?

So many questions come to mind. How is Air Miles going to handle this. When I redeem for tickets, I may not know when my trip will be. Nothing is definitive, plans can change. Or worse, will they stop offering WDW tix for redemptions because this seems so complicated. All my hard earned miles are for Disney!!!

I'm finally catching up on the DIS while heading home from the office early on the GO (hey I worked all weekend so I deserve to leave at 4!!) Is anyone else concerned about this new date based WDW ticket pricing coming into effect Oct16?

So many questions come to mind. How is Air Miles going to handle this. When I redeem for tickets, I may not know when my trip will be. Nothing is definitive, plans can change. Or worse, will they stop offering WDW tix for redemptions because this seems so complicated. All my hard earned miles are for Disney!!!
Here's a video on the new pricing. According to this you can still purchase a ticket with a flexible start date so I would think that they would be the ones AM would offer. Could mean a big increase in AM's need though. Time will tell.

I have a feeling this new pricing system is going to be bad for our air miles tickets. Who knows how many days the packages will be or maybe they will move to per day tickets.

So glad I will only have to buy one ticket for DD10 when we go back in 2020. Everyone else has 1-2 day of non-expiring tickets left. I think in the main thread on this topic people are also concerned about the cost for a hopper add-on.

After visiting USO in February, we are actually leaning towards being more of a US/IOA family. DH and DD LOVE the big rides at Sea World as well.

Here's a video on the new pricing. According to this you can still purchase a ticket with a flexible start date so I would think that they would be the ones AM would offer. Could mean a big increase in AM's need though. Time will tell.

If you watch the video carefully, the charge to have a flexible start date is $50 extra per ticket...looks like we will take full advantage of our Annual Passes this year and then decide what we want to do when they expire in July 2019.

Last edited:

I have a feeling this new pricing system is going to be bad for our air miles tickets. Who knows how many days the packages will be or maybe they will move to per day tickets.

So glad I will only have to buy one ticket for DD10 when we go back in 2020. Everyone else has 1-2 day of non-expiring tickets left. I think in the main thread on this topic people are also concerned about the cost for a hopper add-on.

After visiting USO in February, we are actually leaning towards being more of a US/IOA family. DH and DD LOVE the big rides at Sea World as well.
I feel like it’s going to be bad for a whole lot of reasons. We don’t ever do consecutive days in the parks. I physically can’t...I have joint problems. So what happens to me when I stay onsite for 10 days but want to do 3 park days spaced out over those 10 days???

I feel like it’s going to be bad for a whole lot of reasons. We don’t ever do consecutive days in the parks. I physically can’t...I have joint problems. So what happens to me when I stay onsite for 10 days but want to do 3 park days spaced out over those 10 days???

Based on the information that is being given to ticket resellers...the length of time you have to use your tickets will depend on the # of days you purchase...
From WDWNT:

Tickets related to a particular park will be retired as part of these changes, so there will be no more 1-day Magic Kingdom-only tickets offered. Everything is back to one price.

Under the new system, 1-Day base tickets are valid for admission on the specific start date selected. Multi-day tickets are valid for admission beginning on the start date selected and must be used within a limited time period, as indicated below:

Ticket Duration Valid Use Period
1-Day Ticket Only the start date selected
2-Day Ticket Any 2 days within 4 days beginning on the start date
3-Day Ticket Any 3 days within 5 days beginning on the start date
4-Day Ticket Any 4 days within 7 days beginning on the start date
5-Day Ticket Any 5 days within 8 days beginning on the start date
6-Day Ticket Any 6 days within 9 days beginning on the start date
7-Day Ticket Any 7 days within 10 days beginning on the start date
8-Day Ticket Any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date
9-Day Ticket Any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date
10-Day Ticket Any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date

So based on the above, you only have 5 days to use your 3 day tickets....whereas previously you had 14 days...this will affect people who visit WDW, go on a cruise and then spend a few days at WDW afterwards...

New Ticket System:
I guess with anything new there is a learning curve but I don't think this new ticket system is for me. I am a 7 -10 day stay with maybe 2 park days,,no hopper.
I would have to buy single days and plan when those two days would be. So much for a uncomplicated relaxing holiday. Seriously I think they have complicated a very simple system and will run into all sorts of problems.What happens if you have to cancel your trip,,do you lose out on the tickets?
What if you become sick while on holidays and are unable to go for a few days?
I wonder what the flexible date *Upcharge* will be?
I am thinking US/IOA will be in the planning for me.
latest

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know,,be safe Hon and Know we are thinking about you guys.
Hoping your power is restored soon.
Hugs Mel

I was actually sitting on a runway about to take off when the storm hit. Completely oblivious to what was happening. Two boys got power back last night, the other one is still without power. Lost everything in the fridge and the top half of the freezer but everyone is safe so that's what's truly important. I'm in cloudy San Diego this week so the boys have had to deal with all this on their own. So many things I didn't remind them about. They survived without me but missed using their electronics until today. I'm just catching up reading about everything now.

Last edited:
I was actually sitting on a runway about to take off when the storm hit. Completely oblivious to what was happening. Two boys got power back last night, the other one is still without power. Lost everything in the fridge and the top half of the freezer but everyone is safe so that's what's truly important. I'm in cloudy San Diego this week so the boys have had to deal with all this on their own. So many things I didn't remind them about. They survived without me but missed using their electronics until today. I'm just catching up reading about everything now.
Hi Hon
It is good to hear from you.
I am so sorry the boys are having to deal with all of this on their own but you raised them well and they will be ok.
Everyone is safe and I hope you are able to enjoy a bit of holiday now. Hugs to you.
Mel

Based on the information that is being given to ticket resellers...the length of time you have to use your tickets will depend on the # of days you purchase...
From WDWNT:

Tickets related to a particular park will be retired as part of these changes, so there will be no more 1-day Magic Kingdom-only tickets offered. Everything is back to one price.

Under the new system, 1-Day base tickets are valid for admission on the specific start date selected. Multi-day tickets are valid for admission beginning on the start date selected and must be used within a limited time period, as indicated below:

Ticket Duration Valid Use Period
1-Day Ticket Only the start date selected
2-Day Ticket Any 2 days within 4 days beginning on the start date
3-Day Ticket Any 3 days within 5 days beginning on the start date
4-Day Ticket Any 4 days within 7 days beginning on the start date
5-Day Ticket Any 5 days within 8 days beginning on the start date
6-Day Ticket Any 6 days within 9 days beginning on the start date
7-Day Ticket Any 7 days within 10 days beginning on the start date
8-Day Ticket Any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date
9-Day Ticket Any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date
10-Day Ticket Any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date

So based on the above, you only have 5 days to use your 3 day tickets....whereas previously you had 14 days...this will affect people who visit WDW, go on a cruise and then spend a few days at WDW afterwards...
That is horrible for me, that's for sure. Depending on how the flexible option works I suppose I might be forced into that. I can see how the only way forward for AM is going to be on the flex ticket. I hope that still gives you 14 days (even 10 would work for me) to use the ticket. I haven't paid for park tickets for approx. 15 years (thank you AM) if I have to now pay for them I won't be going to WDW any more. Perhaps I should add to my tickets reserve and grab a few now:scratchin

New Ticket System:
I guess with anything new there is a learning curve but I don't think this new ticket system is for me. I am a 7 -10 day stay with maybe 2 park days,,no hopper.
I would have to buy single days and plan when those two days would be. So much for a uncomplicated relaxing holiday. Seriously I think they have complicated a very simple system and will run into all sorts of problems.What happens if you have to cancel your trip,,do you lose out on the tickets?
What if you become sick while on holidays and are unable to go for a few days?
I wonder what the flexible date *Upcharge* will be?
I am thinking US/IOA will be in the planning for me.
latest

Hugs Mel
I had all the same thoughts. US/IOA is really not for me though on a regular basis. We have been once and will go again sometime but I don't think that we would switch and make that our regular place to visit. I really love a resort vibe anyplace that I vacation and US/IOA just doesn't have that...IMO anyway.

Whats going to happen to upgrading of tickets? I have a couple of 3-9 year old tickets that I think I will only be able to use 1 in time. So now have to see what will happen to upgrade to adult ticket.

Well I went to Rexall yesterday which is a rarity for me. They didn't have much in the way of vitamins which I had hoped to get for my wife and the store signage was somewhat in disarray - but it worked to my liking as they had 3 pack Mach3 priced at $6.99 in error - so they honoured it (helped me get to the $60). Plus I got two 50block sunscreens which were both $5bucks off and on sale (we are on the Fantasy on Oct 6 :)) A few other things. ended up spending $66 and got 210 AMs so not bad...since I got a really good haul for my money even without AMs. I have my shaving stuff for a year :)

Whats going to happen to upgrading of tickets? I have a couple of 3-9 year old tickets that I think I will only be able to use 1 in time. So now have to see what will happen to upgrade to adult ticket.
I found some additional info on of all places DFB. The ticket change is not retroactive so it does not affect tickets purchased prior to Oct 16. It didn’t say anything about upgrading though. I would hope that the current rules will still apply when you do the upgrade which is what has happened in the past when they made changes.

The flex option allows for tickets to be used in the same way as today tickets are...14 days for first use. It looks like the price is an additional $50 but that is not confirmed in the article I read.

So now I decide if I redeem AM for a couple of tickets to put away. I’ve already got 3-5 day tickets, a single 2 day ticket and 2-4 days remaining on some old non expire tickets X 3 people.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that tickets purchased before October 16 will be valid as is (so 7 day voucher is good for 7 days of tickets) til end of 2019. I have been very concerned if my voucher tickets will be affected at all by Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening. I'm hoping not. But sadly if we have to pay $100 more for example for 7 days worth of tickets because that weeks pricing goes up... I guess we will do so!

Our November 2019 trip will probably be our last Disney trip until we have kids and they are old enough to go and not need strollers etc. (So at least 10 years from now LOL).

I'm struggling, I have a Disney trip planned for spring 2019 and I really don't want to pay for tickets.

If I cash in for 5-day non Canadian airmiles tickets now, they expire December 2018, worst case under the current conditions, I'd pay $20 gate fee plus $x ticket price increase. Correct???? I worked it out to $562+ vs $455 Disney's current Canadian tickets. Such a bad price but I wouldn't have too pay much.

Anyone think airmiles will come out with Canadian tickets? Sigh, wishful thinking.

Back to work today for a little while. Got a call from school that kiddo is sick. Ok. Picked him up and said we were going to Rexall since we are out of advil (and I'd planned to get it at lunch yesterday only didn't go to work cause of the power situation). So off to Rexall. Got everything on my list, and 199 Airmiles. Not bad for $65 plus tax. Wish I had bought some chocolate bars. Oh well. Now he's upstairs "resting" and watching youtube. I am working. Sort of. Supposed to be? Yeah. Oh well! And worrying about my plans for a trip next August. I wasn't planning to buy the tickets until March (after I file my taxes hopefully), nothing like waiting until the last minute. And now I'm worried I'll have to pay a bunch extra. But the week we go is value I believe, and usually low crowds, so should be cheaper. We will be getting 7 day park hoppers for the 7 day trip (still debating the waterparks option). I guess I'll wait and see what happens... I don't have the money today to do anything about it any way. Still worrying over March break flights too, I could wait and go in April for a fraction of the airmiles, but then I need to take an extra week off work. I need a vacation to figure all this out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!