Airmiles flight booking

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
Ultimately I want a direct flight Orlando - Ottawa. When I look at the flights Orlando-Ottawa, there are no direct flights available. When I look at Orlando-Toronto, the direct flight I want Orlando-Ottawa shows up as the first leg of an Orlando-Ottawa-Toronto booking.

This Orlando-Toronto flight is at my target AM for the flight.

My question. Can I book this flight and just not take the Ottawa-Toronto portion? We would have to do carry-on luggage if this was the case. Would it be worth calling AM and asking if they can book the Orlando-Ottawa portion only?

I still have loads of time to wait to book. I would just like to get it done sooner than later. Anyone have similar experiences?

Ultimately I want a direct flight Orlando - Ottawa. When I look at the flights Orlando-Ottawa, there are no direct flights available. When I look at Orlando-Toronto, the direct flight I want Orlando-Ottawa shows up as the first leg of an Orlando-Ottawa-Toronto booking.

This Orlando-Toronto flight is at my target AM for the flight.

My question. Can I book this flight and just not take the Ottawa-Toronto portion? We would have to do carry-on luggage if this was the case. Would it be worth calling AM and asking if they can book the Orlando-Ottawa portion only?

I still have loads of time to wait to book. I would just like to get it done sooner than later. Anyone have similar experiences?

No experience, beyond wondering the same thing myself on other (non Air Miles) flights. It's bizarrely common to see flights that are cheaper to fly A->B->C than just A->B.

IMO there's really nothing to stop you from choosing not to board the Toronto flight. Might stop by the departure gate or the airline's information desk on the way out, just to let them know you're not carrying on, but even that's just a courtesy. They get no-shows all the time, so they wouldn't think anything of it.

In fact, since Ottawa will be your point of entry into Canada, you can probably even get away with checked luggage. You would have to claim it to clear customs anyway.

https://yow.ca/en/flights/your-flight-experience:

Arriving internationally

Travelling to a Canadian/International destination

When you arrive in Ottawa, you will clear Canadian customs and immigration and claim your luggage. If you are travelling with Air Canada or WestJet, you may drop your luggage at the quick-drop located within the Canada Customs Hall and then proceed to pre-board security screening located on Level 2. If you are travelling with any other airline, you must check your luggage with your airline on Level 3 prior to proceeding through pre-board security screening located on Level 2.

OR, thinking this through further... when you check in at Orlando airport, just tell them that your plans have changed and Ottawa will be your final destination. They can tag your bags to Ottawa and there would be no need to issue a boarding pass for the Ottawa->Toronto flight. I don't see why the airline would care.

The only concern I have is that if the airline were to cancel our flight then they may book us on something else that flies Orlando-Toronto and we may get stuck at the airport in Toronto unable to get to Ottawa.

I believe that if you don't show for your first leg of a trip, your whole trip is canceled.

Agreed, but that's not the scenario under consideration here. :)

The only concern I have is that if the airline were to cancel our flight then they may book us on something else that flies Orlando-Toronto and we may get stuck at the airport in Toronto unable to get to Ottawa.

Yeah, that's a pretty valid concern. They certainly wouldn't have any obligation to send you through Ottawa in that case. If it happened you would probably have lots of options for getting back to Ottawa (plane/train/car), but they could get pretty costly. Not to mention the hassle. Maybe not worth the risk.

Ah, yes, I see that now. So you'd book right through to Toronto, but actually get off in Ottawa, as the flight makes a stop there before going on to Toronto.

I have the luxury of a little time before I have to book. It's just frustrating to see the flight I want at the price (airmiles) I want and I am unable to book it. I will wait until I have all the AM needed for my 5th person in my account and if the flights haven't shown up online at that point I will call and ask if they can book it for me. I am saving them money by not having them have to book one additional leg. Sounds reasonable but I doubt it will be in the end.

This is a really intriguing dillema. I am interested to see how it plays out, being from Ottawa as well.

Did a little more investigation and apparently this is known as "Hidden city ticketing". It goes against the terms you agree to with the airline and therefor not a viable alternative. I get to wait until Airmiles posts my treasured flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter